Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 10:51:36 PM EDT
Hi all, I currently have a D7K with around a 11,000 shutter count

I am thinking about upgrading and looking at a D500, D7200, or D7500

I mainly use this for my 7 year old sons baseball. I also use for family photos but just bought a Sony a6300 to use for family photo related things due to SLR size and weight.

I need some advice on which direction I should go. My budget is around 1500. I dont mind refurbished and I'm not opposed to just sticking with the D7K if thats a smart choice.

My current glass is the 18-105 kit lens that came with the D7K
35mm 1.8 prime and Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest buying a fast lens for the Sony and learning the A6300. Sony mirrorless stuff is very capable. There will be a bit of a learning curve. You will also benefit by not having two systems.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#3]
When I recently upgraded my DSLR - I gave absolutely zero thought to a mirrorless system, and kind of wish I had. However, I also shoot action (kids sports) in varying light. Having good low-light performance matters to me - a bunch. Shooting with a flash in those situations causes multiple concerns (cycle time, distract subjects)...

I upgraded from a D90 to a D500 and am completely ecstatic with it. However, it IS a different interface. There are some controls that are incredibly intuitive, and some that are intuitive, but just different than what I am used to. There are also some controls that are either less intuitive, or so different than what I am used to that I have to hunt. Fortunately, things like WB and ISO are cake. In getting familiar with it, I have probably shot almost 1500 pictures with it in a couple months, and the number may be higher than that.

The low-light performance is so good that I PICK when I want to use flash, not when I have to. Which is also good because it doesn't have a (weak) onboard flash.

The D500 w/ battery grip (which I love) and a decent lens is a LOT of camera to carry. You have to want to carry it, otherwise it will be at home gathering dust while you take pictures with your smart phone. That said w/o the grip, I don't think it is THAT much more to carry than a 7200 or 7500.

In terms of price - refurb/used 7200s are a BARGAIN. They will become even moreso. The 7500 appears to be fairly priced, and the D500 is a bit more of a stretch. With your lenses, you have decent options as a starting point, so you don't NEED to add glass. However, I have historically preferred to prioritize glass higher. I have gone extra years w/o upgrading a camera body to buy better glass - and in the end I feel that it has been VERY worthwhile.

-shooter
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info and help!

I've been wanting a 70-200 f2.8 for awhile so I think I'm just going to invest in that, use it on the d7k for a little bit and see what happens on prices with the 7200.

As far as the Sony lenses, they don't really have anything fast with decent zoom. And they want $2600 for their 70-200 f2.8
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I recently upgraded my DSLR - I gave absolutely zero thought to a mirrorless system, and kind of wish I had. However, I also shoot action (kids sports) in varying light. Having good low-light performance matters to me - a bunch. Shooting with a flash in those situations causes multiple concerns (cycle time, distract subjects)...

I upgraded from a D90 to a D500 and am completely ecstatic with it. However, it IS a different interface. There are some controls that are incredibly intuitive, and some that are intuitive, but just different than what I am used to. There are also some controls that are either less intuitive, or so different than what I am used to that I have to hunt. Fortunately, things like WB and ISO are cake. In getting familiar with it, I have probably shot almost 1500 pictures with it in a couple months, and the number may be higher than that.

The low-light performance is so good that I PICK when I want to use flash, not when I have to. Which is also good because it doesn't have a (weak) onboard flash.

The D500 w/ battery grip (which I love) and a decent lens is a LOT of camera to carry. You have to want to carry it, otherwise it will be at home gathering dust
while you take pictures with your smart phone. That said w/o the grip, I don't think it is THAT much more to carry than a 7200 or 7500.

In terms of price - refurb/used 7200s are a BARGAIN. They will become even moreso. The 7500 appears to be fairly priced, and the D500 is a bit more of a stretch. With your lenses, you have decent options as a starting point, so you don't NEED to add glass. However, I have historically preferred to prioritize glass higher. I have gone extra years w/o upgrading a camera body to buy better glass - and in the end I feel that it has been VERY worthwhile.

-shooter
View Quote
#hesrightyouknow

To illustrate.  My D7100 with a Vello grip/w extra battery and my 70-200 f2.8 VRII.
The setup is a pig no doubt about it.  I've never weighed it.  
It's such an amazing lens I rarely take it off my camera.  For me the trade-off is worth it.  YMMV.
Good luck with whatever you decide and post pics.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 7000 and bought a 7200 and I really like the 7200 a lot.

You already are familiar with it, great easy upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

#hesrightyouknow

To illustrate.  My D7100 with a Vello grip/w extra battery and my 70-200 f2.8 VRII.
The setup is a pig no doubt about it.  I've never weighed it.  
It's such an amazing lens I rarely take it off my camera.  For me the trade-off is worth it.  YMMV.
Good luck with whatever you decide and post pics.
View Quote
Which strap is that?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Which strap is that?
View Quote
CAA 6003

I have three of these slings/straps.  
I robbed one off an AR the same day I got my D3100.  Seven years on I'm still using it.
360 degree swivel hooks.  Pocket that holds a EN-EL15 battery and SD card.

I got two more from Wally World.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been wanting a 70-200 f2.8 for awhile so I think I'm just going to invest in that, use it on the d7k for a little bit and see what happens on prices with the 7200.
View Quote
I agree with you on that. If you take most of your photos outdoors in the daylight, any camera really shines. When you take photos in low-light situations and/or action photos, you will need a better camera.

Nikon just introduced the D7500, so prices for the 7200 will be on the decline. Personally for me I may consider getting the 7200 later, when the 7500 becomes widely available has I take photos indoors and low-light.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hi all, I currently have a D7K with around a 11,000 shutter count

I am thinking about upgrading and looking at a D500, D7200, or D7500

I mainly use this for my 7 year old sons baseball. I also use for family photos but just bought a Sony a6300 to use for family photo related things due to SLR size and weight.

I need some advice on which direction I should go. My budget is around 1500. I dont mind refurbished and I'm not opposed to just sticking with the D7K if thats a smart choice.

My current glass is the 18-105 kit lens that came with the D7K
35mm 1.8 prime and Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

To a large extent, the D7000 and your 70-300mm should do pretty well for youth baseball.
What part(s) of the system are holding you back from getting the shots that you want?

Both versions of the 70-200mm (f/4 and f/2.8) are phenomenal lenses, but they are too short for baseball.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To a large extent, the D7000 and your 70-300mm should do pretty well for youth baseball.
What part(s) of the system are holding you back from getting the shots that you want?

Both versions of the 70-200mm (f/4 and f/2.8) are phenomenal lenses, but they are too short for baseball.
View Quote
I think some of it is my mind set of its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

And depth of field and bokeh. I notice alot of my shots have people or things in the background I wish were blurred.

Here is sample image that was cropped down. feel free to critique and give me some pointers.

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This looks like it was shot at a fairly high aperture, f/8, f/11, something like that.

I wouldn't expect f/5.6 to have what is essentially the entire frame in focus.

Care to share the exif or shooting info?

The reason I say that is...unless you're shooting wide open and not being happy, going to a faster lens isn't going to help much.
View Quote
You are correct.

1/1250 sec. f/9 70mm ISO 800
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are correct.

1/1250 sec. f/9 70mm ISO 800
View Quote
That's a kind of a strange combination for that shot. At 70mm, you could go F/3.5 and ISO 100 to get a more blurred background.

It also looks like it was shot from the stands or bleachers. If you can get down to the field level, it would help with composition.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a kind of a strange combination for that shot. At 70mm, you could go F/3.5 and ISO 100 to get a more blurred background.

It also looks like it was shot from the stands or bleachers. If you can get down to the field level, it would help with composition.
View Quote
Yea I can't explain the settings. I honestly don't know what was going on then.

This was from the dugout. I wasn't able to kneel down. I start from scratch the next game and reassess my situation.

I feel like an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I mainly shoot my son's hockey and lacrosse.  I had a D7000 with a shutter count of 86,000+ (I take pictures of everyone on the team).  The camera was doing fine, but I upgraded to the 7200 and thought it was a worthy upgrade.
However the new body bug bit and I bought the D500, mainly for FPS.  The 7200 really does just about everything I want it to.  I kept that camera as well.
My main sports lens is the 70-200 2.8 VRII. I am spoiled with the ease of taking lacrosse pics in the sun and can cheat over to an older 70-300 lens (I think that's what it is).  The 70-200 is really what I need at the rink.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yea I can't explain the settings. I honestly don't know what was going on then.

This was from the dugout. I wasn't able to kneel down. I start from scratch the next game and reassess my situation.

I feel like an idiot.
View Quote
no reason to feel like an idiot.    there r some very sharp people on this forum that can help u improve your shots.  

just keep shooting away and keep reaching for that "perfect shot."    

one of the best things my oldest daughter said to me was "thank u Dad for always trying to make it my events (i fly a lot) and the thousands and thousands of pics u took over the years of me."    i told her people point a camera at what is important to them......she gave me the best hug, ever!!!!    

Most of my pics were average at best, but, they captured my girls during a fun time in their lives.

So, your pics don't have to be perfect, OP.    they will be more than good enuf, i promise.
Top Top