Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 4:25:38 PM EDT
DIY Photography has a great article with a how to here.

MATERIALS
  • 1 ea. 30? x 20 ” x 1/2? thick foam core board (for the floor piece)
  • 1 ea. 30? x 20? x 1/4? thick foam core board (for the back wall)
  • 2 ea. 24? x 18? x 1/4? thick tri-fold foam core board (for the side walls)
  • 18 ea. small magnets, such as these
  • 24 ea. 5/8? wooden cubes such as these
  • Hot glue gun
  • Blue tape or spring clamps to hold work while glueing

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
What's not so cheap is the light. Those are where most of the budget goes.

I do like this DIY though. I may have to try to put this together one day.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
You can use damn near everything as a light. For years I used a chunk of super thin fabric over a desk lamp. So long as the light is powerful and diffused, it doesn't matter too much. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking of doing something similar with a cheap lamp from Ikea. All my photos now have an annoying light pattern that I'm not too fond of.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is a pretty sweet light that is easy to throw behind a scrim.

LED Desk Lamp

No need to buy something that says "photography" on it that will sell for 2-3 times as much.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LED Desk Lamp

No need to buy something that says "photography" on it that will sell for 2-3 times as much.
View Quote
I like those lamps. Might pick up two for photography and to keep around on my desks.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like those lamps. Might pick up two for photography and to keep around on my desks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LED Desk Lamp

No problem!

I have one of them and have been meaning to order another. I mostly use it as a desk lamp, but have used it to light things for photos . It gets the job done for sure. You do have to get creative if you need to shoot is sideways though...
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads up on that. I do some sideways stuff from time to time and the lighting already sucks with what I've got so it can't be any worse.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
DSCN1927 by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Another option - depending upon the size you need, a simple cardboard box, white tissue paper, tape, some poster board for the sweep, and some cheap reflector lights can work.

Some results...

Simply varying which lights are lit, or moving to a spot with direct sunlight, can change the look.  It's quite versatile for cheap.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another option - depending upon the size you need, a simple cardboard box, white tissue paper, tape, some poster board for the sweep, and some cheap reflector lights can work.

http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/image/142614663/original.jpg

Some results...

http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/image/138805618/original.jpg

Simply varying which lights are lit, or moving to a spot with direct sunlight, can change the look.  It's quite versatile for cheap.
http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/image/142662117/original.jpg
View Quote
My current DIY one is pretty much what you pictured.  Works pretty darn good for the $1 invested 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My current DIY one is pretty much what you pictured.  Works pretty darn good for the $1 invested 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/image/142614663/original.jpg

Some results...

http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/image/138805618/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/scifi_nut/image/142662117/original.jpg
Yup - works well enough for most of what I tinker with. 

(I would like a product table, and some proper lighting and accessories.  Someday.  Maybe.)
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Never had much luck with light boxes, so I gave up on them.  Now, I use three strobes (two SB-800s and one SB-600) with a piece of white poster board for the floor/background.  I get better results, and find it less fidgety than trying to put items inside a box.

If I were ever going to do serious product photography, I would get some real studio strobes.  Much more power, but not much more money (if any).  Those Nikon flash units are pricey.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never had much luck with light boxes, so I gave up on them.  Now, I use three strobes (two SB-800s and one SB-600) with a piece of white poster board for the floor/background.  I get better results, and find it less fidgety than trying to put items inside a box.

If I were ever going to do serious product photography, I would get some real studio strobes.  Much more power, but not much more money (if any).  Those Nikon flash units are pricey.
View Quote
It's essentially a still life.  You don't need a ton of power for it.  Decent light, low ISO, and longer exposures will do you.  It's not like the <whatever> is moving any.  The 'box' is just to reflect and soften the light.  I just use 3x 100w equivalent LED bulbs with umbrellas or bare through the paper on the box.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's essentially a still life.  You don't need a ton of power for it.  Decent light, low ISO, and longer exposures will do you.  It's not like the <whatever> is moving any.  The 'box' is just to reflect and soften the light.  I just use 3x 100w equivalent LED bulbs with umbrellas or bare through the paper on the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, years ago, I fooled around with homemade light boxes quite a bit.  I also would shoot larger objects (rifles, etc) by laying them out on some white poster board material on my living room floor.  The walls are basically white, and I can "feather" the blinds to adjust the light intensity from the windows.  Basically my whole living room becomes a light box.   Had pretty good luck with that method.

I know people get good results with light boxes, but with smaller items, I just find it easier to use strobes.  With strobes (and no box), I can hand hold the camera and move around somewhat.  No tripod to fool with. But good strobes can get a little expensive, so the light box is a good alternative.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top