Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2017 8:41:34 PM EDT
This is my second attempt at time lapse, first was a practice run in black and white, for this engine assembly on a Jaguar motor.  Hope you guys like, and please feel free to add suggestions for future projects (from a technical standpoint of course)

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat video. Although the music was putting me to sleep. So I would suggest different music next time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neat video. Although the music was putting me to sleep. So I would suggest different music next time.
View Quote
Would have been better with music from "How it's Made"
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you share any details about the time-lapse interval(s) that you used? Did you use a single interval or change it up depending on the specific task that was being recorded?

Did you have multiple cameras, or simply reposition a single camera at different points?

What tool(s) did you use to assemble the final video?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool to see the process. How many hours all together?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd possibly run the camera from overhead, less of your back in the frame.

I'd also edit you out.  I'd piece together all the 1-2 second shots of each part you installed or engine turning etc.

Other than that, I like your project.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can you share any details about the time-lapse interval(s) that you used? Did you use a single interval or change it up depending on the specific task that was being recorded?

Did you have multiple cameras, or simply reposition a single camera at different points?

What tool(s) did you use to assemble the final video?
View Quote
This.  Also what kind of camera did you use?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This^^^

Maybe the Benny Hill Theme music
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#9]
You put the muffler bearing in backwards.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool video, I really like time lapse videos for some reason.

I bought a GoPro Hero 5 black a while back but I'm really just learning to use it and edit video.

I had it for a few months but didn't really use until I bought a better computer, my old one would choke down trying to edit.

Here is youtube video of some time lapse video of clouds I made over the last 3 months.

Filmed at 10 and 5 second intervals, I think the 5 second is better for this.

Edited with GoPro studio.

No, sound, I couldn't decide on what music to add to it.

Time lapse compilation of clouds January to March 2017
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cool video, I really like time lapse videos for some reason.

I bought a GoPro Hero 5 black a while back but I'm really just learning to use it and edit video.

I had it for a few months but didn't really use until I bought a better computer, my old one would choke down trying to edit.

Here is youtube video of some time lapse video of clouds I made over the last 3 months.

Filmed at 10 and 5 second intervals, I think the 5 second is better for this.

Edited with GoPro studio.

No, sound, I couldn't decide on what music to add to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm4j1_sfHqE
View Quote
Your cloud time-lapse is truly mesmerizing...
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks all.  Camera was my t5 canon with the kit lens (18-55).  I shot in 20 to 30 second intervals, depending on how much time I thought I would be spending on a given task.  Areas when I knew I would be installing several parts fairly rapidly, like head studs, intervals were shorter.  It was edited/composed with windows movie maker, that's all I have right now.  I did want to do overhead, but the work area just didn't allow it, plus, I'm getting paid to fix cars, not take photos.  I just had to shoot what I could get away with, without pissing off the boss.  Funny thing is, my general manager had no idea I was doing this, until he saw it on our website/facebook feed this weekend.  He loved it, actually came to my shop before heading into his office, which isn't usually good, but wanted to thank me for doing it.  Now he wants me to possibly do others for different projects around the shop.  I might have opened a can of worms.

I did try to edit out a lot of shots where no activity was going on, or was out of the shot.  I will try doing some more stuff after work with the AF turned off.  I just simply didn't have time to plan all of this, as I came up with the idea the day before I started building the motor.  I suspect I had around 30 hours in the motor, some of that due to parts being incorrect for the application.  Old jag parts aren't like getting parts for a 350 gm motor, plus this was my first engine build.  I used to work on late model cars, we didn't rebuild those engines, just get a salvage motor.

anyway, thanks for the replies, any other suggestions, feel free.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Great time sequence, how many hours was the total take.

Beautiful engine!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Good news, the boss is moving you into advertising and doubling your wage!

I've not tried video but I have used a D7000 to do timed interval photos on a few projects, plants, building a shed etc.  The interval shots on the shed looked good when scrolling through the thumbnails.

I have yet to figure out how to paste them together.

Yours are much better than my results.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great time sequence, how many hours was the total take.

Beautiful engine!
View Quote
They are sweet motors!  I had around 3000 images at 20-30 second intervals!  All said and done, I had about a week in the build, but it was my first engine build.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good news, the boss is moving you into advertising and doubling your wage!

I've not tried video but I have used a D7000 to do timed interval photos on a few projects, plants, building a shed etc.  The interval shots on the shed looked good when scrolling through the thumbnails.

I have yet to figure out how to paste them together.

Yours are much better than my results.
View Quote
Funny, I didn't see that reflected in my check this week.  gonna have to ask about that tomorrow....

I used windows movie maker for the processing.  It came installed on my laptop.  nothing fancy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top