Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 9:58:03 PM EDT
Expecting a baby in April.

The wife grew up with parents who video taped everything. I grew up with still photographs but I'm not sure that any video of me at a young age even exsists.

The wife wants a good, general purpose video camera that we can use for the baby. It doesn't have to be professional shit.

Good resolution and easy to upload, save, watch, and share capabilities.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have a budget in mind?

You can just get a dsrl that take video and have both. Nikon, canon, Sony... all have cameras that do both at all price ranges.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm of the "buy once.. cry once" mentality.

I don't want to back myself into a corner with a budget but I wouldn't hate to keep it under.. $500? I don't even know if that's reasonable. I'm so out of touch with this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If you just want video, Canon and Sony put out some decent straight camcorder for around that price range.  Personally, I'd recommend a Sony unit, especially if you can get one of their 4k models.  They usually have 12x optical zoom, image stabilization built in, etc. 

Personally I'd consider a bridge camera (think a DSLR with a permanently attached lens) or a DSLR in general.  Both will have manual and video modes, but the downside is DSLR video doesn't go over 29 minutes for legal reasons.  Camcorders don't have that issue.  (it's to legally make cameras and camcorders distinct from each other in Europe from what my rep told me)
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless y'all are hard into editing and making cute movies, just use your phone. It's always with you and quality is fantastic these days.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Sony cx455 for my son's wedding.  I didn't want to spend a lot because it was for a one-time use, but I also wanted great results because I would only have one chance to video.  I was very satisfied with the camera.  It only weighs 8 ounces so is quite handy.  I'm far from an expert on video, but thought I should use a dedicated video camera, for video.  Maybe a dslr would do just as well, I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you just want video, Canon and Sony put out some decent straight camcorder for around that price range.  Personally, I'd recommend a Sony unit, especially if you can get one of their 4k models.  They usually have 12x optical zoom, image stabilization built in, etc. 

Personally I'd consider a bridge camera (think a DSLR with a permanently attached lens) or a DSLR in general.  Both will have manual and video modes, but the downside is DSLR video doesn't go over 29 minutes for legal reasons.  Camcorders don't have that issue.  (it's to legally make cameras and camcorders distinct from each other in Europe from what my rep told me)
View Quote

The time limit is so they don't get classed as video recorders and have to pay a higher European import duty. Or that's what de interwebz sez.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The time limit is so they don't get classed as video recorders and have to pay a higher European import duty. Or that's what de interwebz sez.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that what I said?  (not being sarcastic)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top