Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 12:42:53 AM EDT
I'm going to be traveling for three weeks and I'm not sure I want to lug around a laptop. I'm taking a DSLR, a GoPro, a compact digital camera, and three smart phones. I know with the phone I can store pictures on the cloud but is there a way I can download my memory cards without a laptop?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:22:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I've been looking at the WD 2TB My Passport Wireless Pro $170 drive.  Built in battery to power it, wireless, and SD card port that will automatically copy cards to the HD.  Downside is the price and iffy reviews.

Personally if I was going to drop $200, I'd buy plenty of extra SD cards and something durable to store them.  Soon as it comes out of the camera, into the case it goes.  Not a foolproof solution, but I'm kinda broke as hell. 

If you have an iphone/ipad, Apple makes a dongle (plus a lot of clones) that you stick a SD card into and you can import RAW/JPG into the phone that way.  I can't imagine android phones don't have one similar.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The last time I did a major trip (10 days long), I just took enough memory cards to make sure I did not run out of storage space.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Take more memory cards
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used a portable card reader with built-in drive in the past (similar to the Nexto DI or HyperDrive). See this CNet article for some ideas on this and other solutions.

These days I use my Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with a SanDisk Extreme 500 (USB 3 external SSD) to make copies of each day's shooting. I like this over my previous solution because I can do edits more effectively while on the road.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used a portable card reader with built-in drive in the past (similar to the Nexto DI or HyperDrive). See this CNet article for some ideas on this and other solutions.

These days I use my Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with a SanDisk Extreme 500 (USB 3 external SSD) to make copies of each day's shooting. I like this over my previous solution because I can do edits more effectively while on the road.
View Quote

I have a small Windows 10 ten inch RCA tablet with the keyboard case. It has a single USB port. Its pretty small and light and can handle some light editing. it takes Micro SD cards but I prefer to use a card reader.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I just carry several SD cards, I have always run out of battery before I run out of storage. I carry mostly 8 gig cards (was bigger into photos a few years ago) but I have a handful of 32 gig and 64 gig cards as well. I have had cards go bad before so I tend to shoot a few hundred/1thousand shots and change cards so if something happens I only lose a portion of what I shoot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I use this. Can attach to phone.

Card reader
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use this. Can attach to phone.

Card reader
View Quote

How many raw images can you get on a phone or ipad?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How many raw images can you get on a phone or ipad?
View Quote
The same number as a similarly sized memory card.  ;)

32GB storage is 32GB whether on a phone or card. This option is good if you want to make a second copy of your photos onto a removable memory card mounted in your compatible phone (e.g., iPhones don't have memory expansion slots).
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a laptop. I dump data daily. I may not process pictures each day, but they get dumped.
View Quote

Yep. Backed up on the computer. Then backed up on a thumb drive. I prefer not to delete them off any card, until I am back home.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#12]

This was my plan for my failed Montana trip. Hope to test it in Texas this week?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
On my current Hawaii trip I'm offloading onto my laptop. If I didn't have a laptop I'd take a bunch of extra cards. I've got one of those Pelican card cases, very durable. Only prob is it's not cut for the xqd cards, so I'll probably cut the foam myself.

I get about 1300 raws on the 64gb xqd, and another 1300 on the 64gb sd, both in camera simultaneously. That's 2600 pics in a pinch before needing to worry about more storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top