Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 4:32:30 AM EDT
Long story short, I was trying out some single light portrait stuff.  I know the focus isn't perfect, as I was running the camera off my iphone.  As a whole, I think it is decent besides the colors being off.  It looks fine in photoshop but warm after it's uploaded, despite calibrating my display two weeks ago.

Only post was noise reduction and color/contrast.

I'd have smiled but I just had oral surgery a week ago, so just smirking hurts.

33" silver umbrella from 3' away angled at 45 degrees.   Unfortunately, the bulb doesn't put out a ton of light, so my settings were pretty up there.
D7200 with 50mm f/1.8
1/250 f/3.5 ISO 1600

1/250 secondApertureF/3.5Focal Length50 mmISO Speed1600
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to see the eyes in focus.
Besides that it's pretty good
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
It's ugly.

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Almost there! You only need:

Better posing
Longer focal length (85mm to 135mm)
Smaller aperture (6.3 maybe)
Lower ISO
Slower shutter speed
Closer main light
Reflector under your face

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that all?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Almost there! You only need:

Better posing
Longer focal length (85mm to 135mm)
Smaller aperture (6.3 maybe)
Lower ISO
Slower shutter speed
Closer main light
Reflector under your face

Is that all?

No, he could slightly squinch his left eye so I don't need to fix it in post ;)
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
lighting is too flat for my tastes

go longer with your lens

focus on the eyes for most portraits this is a must

subject could be better
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree on the focus.  The Nikon WMU app doesn't let you select focus points, or mine was acting weird. Wouldn't let me make any changes short of closing it all down, adjusting the camera, and starting over.  For the lens, it's either the 50 or 70-300 though. Don't own a reflector, but it's on my list. 

I did okay for my first semi serious posed photo since high school though. There is a reason why I stay behind the lens though. 

Oh btw...

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry. Wrong place
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

qdslrdashboard is your friend.

It allows manual focus. More or less anyway, the auto focus on the camera has to be enabled..but you can focus manually by clicking buttons on the screen. I know it exists for PC and android, not sure if you're an evil apple user.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree on the focus.  The Nikon WMU app doesn't let you select focus points, or mine was acting weird. Wouldn't let me make any changes short of closing it all down, adjusting the camera, and starting over.  For the lens, it's either the 50 or 70-300 though. Don't own a reflector, but it's on my list. 

I did okay for my first semi serious posed photo since high school though. There is a reason why I stay behind the lens though. 

Oh btw...

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZKijCzL5tqOiY/giphy.gif

qdslrdashboard is your friend.

It allows manual focus. More or less anyway, the auto focus on the camera has to be enabled..but you can focus manually by clicking buttons on the screen. I know it exists for PC and android, not sure if you're an evil apple user.

Huh I'll have to look it up. This was mostly for trying the lighting more than anything. Going to be doing some photo stuff with a friend and wanted to have a few ideas before hand. 
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh btw...

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZKijCzL5tqOiY/giphy.gif
View Quote

Great price for a good-enough reflector:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-43-inch-Collapsible-Multi-Disc-Reflector/dp/B002ZIMEMW

Hold with one of these on top of a light stand:

http://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/rha.htm
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Great price for a good-enough reflector:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-43-inch-Collapsible-Multi-Disc-Reflector/dp/B002ZIMEMW

Hold with one of these on top of a light stand:

http://www.cheetahstand.com/product-p/rha.htm
View Quote

I've got that on my amazon wishlist already.  Just have to find the money for it.  Juggling selling stuff to fund other stuff since I have no income.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Were you using a fill flash? If not, What is the super bright catch light low and camera left? I would ditch whatever that is.  

Shoot at 105mm and 5.6. Also turn your body square to the light and then turn your head back to the camera. Stretch your neck a bit to get rid of double chin (just extend your face toward the lens). I would personally put the light a bit higher and further to camera right and closer you. It ought to create a more pronounced shadow on the right side (camera left) of your face. This will help shape your face to be more masculine and make you less ugly.

If you don't have a reflector, just put a white towel or sheet on a table in front of you. You can also stand next to a white wall to get a little fill on the shadow side.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Were you using a fill flash? If not, What is the super bright catch light low and camera left? I would ditch whatever that is.  

Shoot at 105mm and 5.6. Also turn your body square to the light and then turn your head back to the camera. Stretch your neck a bit to get rid of double chin (just extend your face toward the lens). I would personally put the light a bit higher and further to camera right and closer you. It ought to create a more pronounced shadow on the right side (camera left) of your face. This will help shape your face to be more masculine and make you less ugly.

If you don't have a reflector, just put a white towel or sheet on a table in front of you. You can also stand next to a white wall to get a little fill on the shadow side.
View Quote

Pretty sure there wasn't any flash, but it could have been a reflection or the flash firing.  The Nikon WMU app got weird toward the end and started doing weird shit.  There kinda were a lot of reflective surfaces around since this was set up between my entertainment center, couch, computer desk, and bed.  

Mostly it was a lighting test so I wasn't worrying about posing too much, but a reflector is on my list when my $40 tax return comes in.   I also need a brighter set of bulbs for my lights since I can't afford strobes or monolights at the moment.

Trying to DIY the single monolight with softbox method using umbrellas since that's all I have.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Your ugly mug makes me think we should have a selfie portrait contest. Taking quality portraits is one thing, but adding self-shooting into the mix makes 'em quite hard.

I was a little rough on your work, so I should have to put my selfie out there.

How many would be interested in doing this?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:46:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your ugly mug makes me think we should have a selfie portrait contest. Taking quality portraits is one thing, but adding self-shooting into the mix makes 'em quite hard.

I was a little rough on your work, so I should have to put my selfie out there.

How many would be interested in doing this?
View Quote

I'm in!

It's tough as shit to get a great shot of your self, but fun to do!

ETA:

Any limits to equipment use?  IE: can we shoot tethered, keep it to one light...
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Damnit.  Now I'm going to have to take this all seriously. 
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm in!

It's tough as shit to get a great shot of your self, but fun to do!

ETA:

Any limits to equipment use?  IE: can we shoot tethered, keep it to one light...
View Quote

Good question on equipment. I wouldn't be opposed to *some* limit on lighting, but I don't think a single light is suitable for a portrait challenge. We could probably put it up to a vote.

Tethered? It's certainly easier to do it this way, and many portrait shooters are tethered for all session, so I see no issue with that.

Further thoughts: it might be best if we don't post our pics here, for PERSEC purposes. We could probably use a public album somewhere to post pics.

It might also be cool to incorporate an out-of-the-camera vs. post-processed/retouched challenge.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe pat your dome with something like Ben Nye's neutral set? It's cheap, colorless, and if you're going to be taking portraits it's nice to have a mattifying agent on hand.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe pat your dome with something like Ben Nye's neutral set? It's cheap, colorless, and if you're going to be taking portraits it's nice to have a mattifying agent on hand.
View Quote

Portraits aren't my usual thing, but that's a good point. If I start doing them, I'll have to pick some of that up. 
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Portraits aren't my usual thing, but that's a good point. If I start doing them, I'll have to pick some of that up. 
View Quote

You're a guy with a camera setup and people aren't forcing you to take them and their kids/pets portraits? Lucky you, lol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You're a guy with a camera setup and people aren't forcing you to take them and their kids/pets portraits? Lucky you, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thankfully it's mostly 'hey dude, I'll pay you in ammo to take some action shots of me and my guns.'

I can deal with that, and have gotten pretty damn good at it.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]
so who's up for a "portrait challenge?"
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
so who's up for a "portrait challenge?"
View Quote

I'm up for it. Want to say a week from tomorrow is the due date?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think we need at least 5 people committed, and then we'd have to outline the rules.

For starters, it would need to be a picture you took during the contest period, so it couldn't be your best selfie headshot of all time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:50:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think we need at least 5 people committed, and then we'd have to outline the rules.

For starters, it would need to be a picture you took during the contest period, so it couldn't be your best selfie headshot of all time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like we should start a thread and get a roll call.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#29]
So a slight update:

Better lights showed up last week.  Went from 45w fluorescent that came with the kit to 100w (equivalent) LED 90+ CRI
Reflector is on the way from Amazon.  So is a longer tether cable.  I finally got Digicam Control to work, and it's pretty awesome for tethering your camera.  Downside is the stock 2' Nikon cable sucks balls.

Exposure on this is kinda 'eh.'  Mostly this is the exact moment I realized that I didn't have any of the prior shots focused.  Not like I could tell without my glasses.  BUT at least I got it focused right.   Turns out that clicking the focus point you want, doesn't actually focus it in digicam control.  That's a different button. 

Need to spend more time fiddling with umbrella locations as well.  White shoot through behind me, and silvers at 10 and 2 ahead.  All at about 2-3' distance.

Man, I need practice.  At least with the 32" reflector and 6' tether cable, I should be able to get a lot more done.  I was planning on a new battery to go in my battery grip, but Amazon refuses to ship them to Alaska.  Already deposited the gift card on my account, so fuck me.  Trying to sell some misc gun stuff locally to free up cash for another battery, this time from the camera shop I used to work at.  Man, I am sick and tired of being too sick to work.  4 years without an income is killing me. 

70-300mm (at 70mm) 1/30 f/4.5 ISO 640

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#30]
And that I apparently had the burn tool still selected instead of content aware fill.  So I have a big mark in my nose.    

I give up today.  Just screw it. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So a slight update:

Better lights showed up last week.  Went from 45w fluorescent that came with the kit to 100w (equivalent) LED 90+ CRI
Reflector is on the way from Amazon.  So is a longer tether cable.  I finally got Digicam Control to work, and it's pretty awesome for tethering your camera.  Downside is the stock 2' Nikon cable sucks balls.

Exposure on this is kinda 'eh.'  Mostly this is the exact moment I realized that I didn't have any of the prior shots focused.  Not like I could tell without my glasses.  BUT at least I got it focused right.   Turns out that clicking the focus point you want, doesn't actually focus it in digicam control.  That's a different button. 

Need to spend more time fiddling with umbrella locations as well.  White shoot through behind me, and silvers at 10 and 2 ahead.  All at about 2-3' distance.

Man, I need practice.  At least with the 32" reflector and 6' tether cable, I should be able to get a lot more done.  I was planning on a new battery to go in my battery grip, but Amazon refuses to ship them to Alaska.  Already deposited the gift card on my account, so fuck me.  Trying to sell some misc gun stuff locally to free up cash for another battery, this time from the camera shop I used to work at.  Man, I am sick and tired of being too sick to work.  4 years without an income is killing me. 

http://orig08.deviantart.net/702f/f/2017/049/a/d/untitled_by_aknorthpolar-dazkzhf.jpg 
View Quote

Ok.

Your first one was better IMO. I think this one just has too much light coming from everywhere. You need defining shadows. Something that shapes your face. The difference from softening and lightening the shadows and completely killing them is huge.

The white background is way too hot. It makes you hair look much thinner than it really is. I would suggest sitting (or standing) a few more feet from it. You don't want it to blow through your hair. You also don't want it being too much of a back light and reducing contrast too much. You want your RGB numbers to be uniform in the low to mid 90's (I shoot for 93-95).

I would say to bounce into the umbrella from camera left onto you face and have the reflectors placed camera right and low.

Also, I would really consider shooting at 100-135mm you'll be in the sweet spot of the lens and also it will compress your features better and be a more flattering look.

Now I know I completely butchered this, but I added a bunch of shadow to show what I'm talking about. and the difference it makes. How you don't mind.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ok.

Your first one was better IMO. I think this one just has too much light coming from everywhere. You need defining shadows. Something that shapes your face. The difference from softening and lightening the shadows and completely killing them is huge.

The white background is way too hot. It makes you hair look much thinner than it really is. I would suggest sitting (or standing) a few more feet from it. You don't want it to blow through your hair. You also don't want it being too much of a back light and reducing contrast too much. You want your RGB numbers to be uniform in the low to mid 90's (I shoot for 93-95).

I would say to bounce into the umbrella from camera left onto you face and have the reflectors placed camera right and low.

Also, I would really consider shooting at 100-135mm you'll be in the sweet spot of the lens and also it will compress your features better and be a more flattering look.

Now I know I completely butchered this, but I added a bunch of shadow to show what I'm talking about. and the difference it makes. How you don't mind.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/NOPO-1-149933.JPG
View Quote

Absolutely agree with you on there being too much light.  To be honest, I kinda phoned this one in.  Was sick as hell yesterday so was just dialing rough adjustments and calling it good.  I did want to see what having a light source behind me (and directed at me) would do.  Can honestly say I don't like the end result

Still playing around with lights, it's been since high school film shooting when I did any of this last.  No reflector yet, and only had the funds to grab one.  Will probably be here in 3 weeks or so, so other than a quick test it'll have to wait until I get back from Seattle most likely.

Until the new tether cable gets here, I have zero movement on camera position if I'm plugging into my computer to actually be able to control settings.  Once the new one shows up, I plan on pulling the camera back and using more zoom.  

At least (despite being sick) I still managed to get the focus right once I remembered to set it.   I'm pretty much having to jimmy rig all of my photo gear.  $70 on light stands, umbrellas, and bulbs as a Christmas present about broke me.  Upside is I have 3 decent (2 full size and 1 mini) light stands, 2 silver, 2 shoot through white, and a gold umbrella, plus constant (albeit nowhere near the best) light sources for photos.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

are you using whale oil lamps for lighting?  

With strobes at far less than 1/4 power I'm usually shooting portraits around ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/200 sec.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

With strobes at far less than 1/4 power I'm usually shooting portraits around ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/200 sec.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No money for strobes.  So 100w 90+ CRI LED lights behind the umbrellas.  Grand total for 3 bulbs, $12.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Attempt 3 and one goofing off shot since a friend said I look so lifeless while working on stuff.   To be honest, I really do prefer black and white for people photos.  That said, as much as I hate posed photography, I do realize I need to learn to do it.  I can't go around taking candids forever.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#36]
You see what your eyes are doing in the candid?

Do that in actual portraits.

It's commonly known as a "squnich" and it is the hallmark of an authentic smile. If a smile is faked, a squinch will not be present unless you artificially add it in.

(In fact, if you're trying to stop smiling, a squinch will give you away 100% of the time)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top