BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not nearly as dramatic as reality.  No sense of how close they are.

But still...

Moon-Venus 20170131 by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

nice, should have gone a tiny bit wider and put Mars in the shot too.  

I love crescent moon shots though
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of heading up to the Parkway the other evening after work, but the sky was starting to cloud over, so I graded papers, instead.  I did, however, go out into the yard tonight and get a couple photos.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful shots, but if you don't mind I'd like to ask for advice.

I'm really interested in getting a sun observation setup going. Part of the motivation is to take images during the eclipse in August, but I have a general interest in the sun and would like to do some long term imaging. Sunspot counting, surface feature imaging, that sort of thing. General purpose imaging is also a priority -- stars, moon, planets.

I'm watching Coronado P.S.T. scope sales online, which are hovering in the $500-$600 range. I might also set up my small 76mm Celestron Firstscope with a Baader filter on the front. If finances limit me, I may only have the firstscope/Baader combo.

I think I would prefer to use a monochrome imager for the higher resolution, with filters as desired. I figure that would give me the best results with the P.S.T. since I can just false color the images after the fact.

Bearing in mind that I am on a teacher's salary budget (not destitute, but not great), what should I look for? Would I be better off getting something like the Celestron Neximage color cmos camera and waiting to do higher quality until later? Or go with the slightly more expensive Neximage burst monochrome? 
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Beautiful shots, but if you don't mind I'd like to ask for advice.

I'm really interested in getting a sun observation setup going. Part of the motivation is to take images during the eclipse in August, but I have a general interest in the sun and would like to do some long term imaging. Sunspot counting, surface feature imaging, that sort of thing. General purpose imaging is also a priority -- stars, moon, planets.

I'm watching Coronado P.S.T. scope sales online, which are hovering in the $500-$600 range. I might also set up my small 76mm Celestron Firstscope with a Baader filter on the front. If finances limit me, I may only have the firstscope/Baader combo.

I think I would prefer to use a monochrome imager for the higher resolution, with filters as desired. I figure that would give me the best results with the P.S.T. since I can just false color the images after the fact.

Bearing in mind that I am on a teacher's salary budget (not destitute, but not great), what should I look for? Would I be better off getting something like the Celestron Neximage color cmos camera and waiting to do higher quality until later? Or go with the slightly more expensive Neximage burst monochrome? 
View Quote

If you plan on doing strictly sun imaging you cannot beat Coronado, but they get pricey quick.   If you want to be able to see prominences or detail beyond sun spots you'll want to get an H alpha scope, they are expensive for so little aperture.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking to spend but you may want to think about getting a small refractor, a small mount and a solar filter, that way you'll be able to do some night shots if you want.  

I've been researching cameras, right now I typically use a Canon 5D MKIII, but honestly I need to get myself a monochrome camera and use filters to create a color composite.   I've also looked at debayering a dslr which could be a good option.   CCD cameras aren't cheap and are typically very low res, the bonus is very good signal to noise ratio and cooling.   You can get moderately decent resolution once you get into the $1k+ CCD cameras.   I can help you look for scopes and gear if you want, but with any astrophotography a lot of it is specific to what you want to do.   I'm completely obsessed and spend most of my time reading about gear
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was thinking of heading up to the Parkway the other evening after work, but the sky was starting to cloud over, so I graded papers, instead.  I did, however, go out into the yard tonight and get a couple photos.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/DSC_6837Bz_zpskkqudosz.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/DSC_6851Bz_zpshxhqw1zv.jpg
View Quote

Nice!  I like the bale in the foreground.  

I was outside last night, got all set and then clouds rolled in, I managed a few shots in between clouds, mostly just fucking around with my guiding software
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Tonight's ISS transit.

Here's the path, screenshot from the ISS Spotter app I have for my iPhone.  The visible arc in my frame runs from just west of Chicago to north of Montreal.
ISS Path 20170202 by FredMan, on Flickr

My method tonight was a little different, I tried @Zack3g's suggestion to shoot the transit in a single long exposure and then run a series of intervalometer frames for a dark sky (and star trails) and stack 'em all up.

So, the actual transit (the low white arc across the bottom portion of the image; the straightish line angling from bottom to top was a plane) was shot in a single frame:  273 seconds (4 1/2 minutes), 11mm, f/2.8, ISO 100.  
Then I shot 200 frames with the intervalometer at 10 seconds, 11mm, f/2.8, ISO100.  I lightroomed the single transit frame, converted to jpg, and then brought everything (201 frames) into Startrails to combine into a single image.  Some additional minor processing to try to bring out the ISS arc, and I was done.

The field is lit up because the wife came home during the intervalometer frames and her headlights lit up the field.  I kind of like the effect!  This shot would be much better is ISS had decided to wait another hour before whizzing by;  there's still a lot of light from the recently set sun lighting up the horizon.  But, as they say, time and tides (and apparently orbital mechanics) wait for no man.

ISS Transit 20170202 by FredMan, on Flickr

ETA, here's the single 273-second frame (processed), without all the star trails.  Not bad on it's own, but the trails (and lighted field) add something to my eye.  Then again, I'm a sucker for star trails.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tonight's ISS transit.

Here's the path, screenshot from the ISS Spotter app I have for my iPhone.  The visible arc in my frame runs from just west of Chicago to north of Montreal.

My method tonight was a little different, I tried @Zack3g's suggestion to shoot the transit in a single long exposure and then run a series of intervalometer frames for a dark sky (and star trails) and stack 'em all up.

So, the actual transit (the low white arc across the bottom portion of the image; the straightish line angling from bottom to top was a plane) was shot in a single frame:  273 seconds (4 1/2 minutes), 11mm, f/2.8, ISO 100.  
Then I shot 200 frames with the intervalometer at 10 seconds, 11mm, f/2.8, ISO100.  I lightroomed the single transit frame, converted to jpg, and then brought everything (201 frames) into Startrails to combine into a single image.  Some additional minor processing to try to bring out the ISS arc, and I was done.

The field is lit up because the wife came home during the intervalometer frames and her headlights lit up the field.  I kind of like the effect!  This shot would be much better is ISS had decided to wait another hour before whizzing by;  there's still a lot of light from the recently set sun lighting up the horizon.  But, as they say, time and tides (and apparently orbital mechanics) wait for no man.

ETA, here's the single 273-second frame (processed), without all the star trails.  Not bad on it's own, but the trails (and lighted field) add something to my eye.  Then again, I'm a sucker for star trails.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tonight's ISS transit.

View Quote

I have yet to see a transit shots of yours that I didn't like.   I prefer the top shot though, mostly because I like seeing the field
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Shot some more of the horse head and flame nebula.  I shot rgb but was losing a lot of data to the half moons glow, so I shot some H alpha and added that to some of my older shots.

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
_DSC3811-2 by sseagle, on Flickr

Sirius, through those damn thin clouds! I want to drive to a site in the green area on the sky darkness map and see if the air turns green there ()

I also had some rather rude people harassing me as I was trying to set up in the 12 degree weather... they left and I managed a few shots, the sky tracker seems to function with as roughly as I aligned it in the cold.

This is (not intentionally I swear) a single 87 second exposure.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's the vew from my sleeping back last night.

It's about 600 consecutive stacked images, with one additional image taken closer to dawn overlayed to give definition to the inside of the bag.  The bag moves around as the down lofts up, so the earlier parts of the trails have some distortion, and the face of the bag also moved as the bag lofted, and possibly some breeze moving it around, so there is some weird fringing near the opening of the bag - I'll see if I can clean that up with the clone tool.

I wasn't in the bag, because if so, the whole thing would be a blurry mess.  For future work, I'm going to try to sit the GoPro higher up to give a wider FOV; as it was, it sat low in the bag, and I've done some cropping to reduce the tunnel vision effect from that.

ETA
I processed the images with a bias towards the most recent image, and this seemed to clean up the fringing at the lower hood drawstring, as well as helping to thin out the image.

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
_DSC3811-2 by sseagle, on Flickr

Sirius, through those damn thin clouds! I want to drive to a site in the green area on the sky darkness map and see if the air turns green there ()

I also had some rather rude people harassing me as I was trying to set up in the 12 degree weather... they left and I managed a few shots, the sky tracker seems to function with as roughly as I aligned it in the cold.

This is (not intentionally I swear) a single 87 second exposure.
View Quote

what lens were you using?   I don't see any star trails.    How long have you been able to shoot on the star tracker without stars bloating or trailing?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's about 600 consecutive stacked images, with one additional image taken closer to dawn overlayed to give definition to the inside of the bag.  The bag moves around as the down lofts up, so the earlier parts of the trails have some distortion, and the face of the bag also moved as the bag lofted, and possibly some breeze moving it around, so there is some weird fringing near the opening of the bag - I'll see if I can clean that up with the clone tool.

I wasn't in the bag, because if so, the whole thing would be a blurry mess.  For future work, I'm going to try to sit the GoPro higher up to give a wider FOV; as it was, it sat low in the bag, and I've done some cropping to reduce the tunnel vision effect from that.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/Sleeping%20Bag%20Startrails%20z_zps7li270fb.jpg

ETA
I processed the images with a bias towards the most recent image, and this seemed to clean up the fringing at the lower hood drawstring, as well as helping to thin out the image.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/Sleeping%20Bag%20Startrails%20B1z_zpsf6qukf1w.jpg
View Quote

Thats pretty cool!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

what lens were you using?   I don't see any star trails.    How long have you been able to shoot on the star tracker without stars bloating or trailing?
View Quote

Just my standard 50mm 1.8 on the d7100, I got a big escrow overage check from the mortgage company though, I might get my rokinon..

_DSC3812 by sseagle, on Flickr

This is 116 seconds, I also am pretty sure I had bumped it out of alignment by this point, my hands were frozen. I was also under thin clouds and in an orange level light pollution zone.

Sometime during the week of the 20th I am hoping to get out to a place that is actually dark and give it a shot, but I am promising myself to do too much in this week already.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/Sleeping%20Bag%20Startrails%20z_zps7li270fb.jpg

ETA

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z362/0471861731/Sleeping%20Bag%20Startrails%20B1z_zpsf6qukf1w.jpg
View Quote

Very cool!  You shot that with a GoPro?  Details?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very cool!  You shot that with a GoPro?  Details?
View Quote
That's a composite of about 500 images from a time lapse, compiled with StarStaX.  Unfortunately, the GoPro is limited to ISO 800, which is great for moonlit scenes, but a bit lacking on moonless nights here in Virginia, so the actual time lapse I intended to shoot was underwhelming.

Conditions permitting, I'll try to do this with a D800 and a 20mm lens.  What's noticeable from some of my test shots, however, is the is the incredible DOF offered by the GoPro.  The same scene with the 20mm f/2.8 leaves the hood of the sleeping bag noticeably out of focus, though offering much better detail in the sky, above.

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's a composite of about 500 images from a time lapse, compiled with StarStaX.  Unfortunately, the GoPro is limited to ISO 800, which is great for moonlit scenes, but a bit lacking on moonless nights here in Virginia, so the actual time lapse I intended to shoot was underwhelming.

Conditions permitting, I'll try to do this with a D800 and a 20mm lens.  What's noticeable from some of my test shots, however, is the is the incredible DOF offered by the GoPro.  The same scene with the 20mm f/2.8 leaves the hood of the sleeping bag noticeably out of focus, though offering much better detail in the sky, above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGn7uoXf8CU
View Quote

Thanks!  I may have to try something like that with mine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been hoping for a clear morning, I really want to get a shot of the comet.   Those of you with clear morning skies you might want to see if you can snag a shot.

here is the sky chart showing the location of the comet on a given day.  You'll need at least binoculars to locate it and probably at least 400mm to shoot it.  It should be looking really good this weekend

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, the comet news just hit my inbox.  Hope for clear skies Friday/Saturday!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Had some family over for my sons bday on the weekend, one of the kids flooded the upstairs bathroom, didn't tell anyone and now we have serious water damage, one of my telescope mounts got rained on

fuck my life
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Had some family over for my sons bday on the weekend, one of the kids flooded the upstairs bathroom, didn't tell anyone and now we have serious water damage, one of my telescope mounts got rained on

fuck my life
View Quote
Sorry to hear.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#22]
was finally clear last night.    Haven't tweaked the photos yet but here is a quick animation of comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova over a period of about 30 minutes

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
was finally clear last night.    Haven't tweaked the photos yet but here is a quick animation of comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova over a period of about 30 minutes

http://i.imgur.com/2dF0jrv.gif
View Quote

Neat!

we need to find a comet and give it a less dumb name
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is globular cluster M3

and a shot of the comet with the whale and hockey stick galaxies

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#25]
fixed the gif a bit, probably clean it up tomorrow

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#26]
shot 90 minutes of the rosette last night.  Its really starting to take shape

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Mauna Kea Night by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#28]
FINALLY got what I was looking for.  Other transits had cloud cover.  

Gotta get up early to catch a transit in the middle of the Pacific!

View is from the southern horizon to almost directly overhead, or more or less from a bit past the beginning of the yellow line in the map to directly over Hawaii.  Nothing north of that is visible in my pic.  That's Kona all lit up below.

Big Island ISS Transit Path 20170227 by FredMan, on Flickr

Big Island ISS Transit 20170227 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FINALLY got what I was looking for.  Other transits had cloud cover.  

Gotta get up early to catch a transit in the middle of the Pacific!

View is from the southern horizon to almost directly overhead, or more or less from a bit past the beginning of the yellow line in the map to directly over Hawaii.  Nothing north of that is visible in my pic.  That's Kona all lit up below.

Big Island ISS Transit Path 20170227 by FredMan, on Flickr

Big Island ISS Transit 20170227 by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Nice!   how long are you out there for?  Are the skies fairly dark out there?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I leave Thursday night. Skies are generally dark as long as you're away from cities (big ones are Hilo and Kona). Get up on the saddle road between Waikaloa Village and Hilo and it's very dark. Get up on Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea and it's pitch black except for star shine.

Only about 150,000 total pop on the island and their cities are what I would call towns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I leave Thursday night. Skies are generally dark as long as you're away from cities (big ones are Hilo and Kona). Get up on the saddle road between Waikaloa Village and Hilo and it's very dark. Get up on Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea and it's pitch black except for star shine.

Only about 150,000 total pop on the island and their cities are what I would call towns.
View Quote

Sounds pretty damn nice.    I think there are a few large telescopes on a few of the islands, not sure which ones though
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:44:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sounds pretty damn nice.    I think there are a few large telescopes on a few of the islands, not sure which ones though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That would be the observatory on the Big Island, Hawaii, at the top of Mauna Kea (13,796').  Premier astronomy site for the world.

Hawaii is Earth's connecting point to the rest of the Universe.  The summit of Mauna Kea on the Island of Hawaii hosts the world's largest astronomical observatory, with telescopes operated by astronomers from eleven countries. The combined light-gathering power of the telescopes on Mauna Kea is fifteen times greater than that of the Palomar telescope in California -- for many years the world's largest -- and sixty times greater than that of the Hubble Space Telescope.

13 telescopes, up to 8.3 meter reflectors for optical, 15 meters for submillimeter, and 25 meters for VLBA.

Public is welcome to visit during daylight (30 minutes after sunset closure) for free, as long as they don't close the road.  Tried twice last week to get up to the top but snow and ice closed it down.  The visitor center area at 9,200' is open 24x7 and has nightly astronomy shows, also for free.

It's only a 50-70 mile drive form Kona or Hilo.

Mauna Kea Observatories

Mauna Kea Cloud Cap by FredMan, on Flickr

Mauna Kea Startrails by FredMan, on Flickr

Mauna Kea Observatory by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, it's a borderline astro photo 

1/80
f/4.5
75mm (on 70-300)
ISO 800 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I fucked up a few weeks back, got up at 3am to do some shots, shot for three hours, after I had focused my scope it must have shifted because everything was out of focus after the first few shots.  

3 fucking hours down the drain and nothing but lack of sleep to show for it.  

tonight its finally clear so I plan on redeeming myself
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#35]
only shot for an hour tonight, the upper atmosphere is turbulent as hell so fine detail just wasn't happening.  Shot this quick of the comet 41P/Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak going by the Surfboard Galaxy and the Owl Nebula.   I'll probably never have that chance again, so it was cool even though the image quality sucks

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Just stumbled across this thread...  Some of mine from last night (first time shooting the night sky, albeit with the wrong lens lol) 16-35mm f/4 Nikon.  High ISO and an exposure borderline too long to get some details for the sky shots...  Cant wait to get out to some dark skys again.

KWG_5761-HDR by Shift_Six, on Flickr

KWG_5766-HDR by Shift_Six, on Flickr

KWG_5794 by Shift_Six, on Flickr

KWG_5796 by Shift_Six, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Heading to Cozumel in the next few days.. looking forward to what I might get.. Will get an AAR later.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just stumbled across this thread...  Some of mine from last night (first time shooting the night sky, albeit with the wrong lens lol) 16-35mm f/4 Nikon.  High ISO and an exposure borderline too long to get some details for the sky shots...  Cant wait to get out to some dark skys again.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2846/33285164260_75799cc60f_b.jpgKWG_5761-HDR by Shift_Six, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3666/33286338330_296a1265d1_b.jpgKWG_5766-HDR by Shift_Six, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3713/32827306834_6dccf514eb_b.jpgKWG_5794 by Shift_Six, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3696/33286336070_f5d1653e31_b.jpgKWG_5796 by Shift_Six, on Flickr
View Quote
I want that scope
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I want that scope
View Quote
She is a beauty.  The views Saturday night of Orion Nebula were honestly breathtaking through it.  Funny(sad) how use to light pollution I've gotten and truly forgot how much you're able to resolve with your eye when you get away from the city lights.  Cant wait to go back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

She is a beauty.  The views Saturday night of Orion Nebula were honestly breathtaking through it.  Funny(sad) how use to light pollution I've gotten and truly forgot how much you're able to resolve with your eye when you get away from the city lights.  Cant wait to go back.
View Quote
there is nothing like a true dark site, my first time to one I couldn't believe it, I was like holy shit I can see things I need a telescope for at home.

I can still see andromeda galaxy with my eyes from my driveway though, but light pollution is still bad
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Heading to Cozumel in the next few days.. looking forward to what I might get.. Will get an AAR later.
View Quote

Looks like if you can get to the southern part of the island you should have great skies.   Its been awhile but I remember it being unbelievably clear out that way
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#42]
We are staying a few miles south of town so I have high hopes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#43]
So my two shots from about an hour ago.  D7200 with 18-55 kit lens at 18mm manual focus.  F/3.5 ISO 1000 30/1 exposure.

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#44]
I hate you so much

One of these days I'll see a sky like that, cool shots man
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I hate you so much

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I hate you so much

Just think, that was on the back deck of the house.  Makes me really wish I had the $ to buy a good wide angle lens though.  The kit lens is okay, but kinda sucks in comparison.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just think, that was on the back deck of the house.  Makes me really wish I had the $ to buy a good wide angle lens though.  The kit lens is okay, but kinda sucks in comparison.
View Quote
Doesnt matter, im still jelly too lol

Have you every tried playing with the intervalometer built into most Nikons to do a time lapse?  Would be badass to see what you could put together with skys like that.  

I always run out of patients for it.  a .30 second exposure every minute, and you still need 30 minutes to create 1 second of video lol.  I go in with great intentions, then around the 1 hour mark im over it lol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Have you every tried playing with the intervalometer built into most Nikons to do a time lapse?  Would be badass to see what you could put together with skys like that.  

I always run out of patients for it.  a .30 second exposure every minute, and you still need 30 minutes to create 1 second of video lol.  I go in with great intentions, then around the 1 hour mark im over it lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's on my list of things to try, I just need to do a lot more reading on how to set it and use it.  Hopefully the weather will clear out tomorrow and I'll try to set it up tomorrow if the aurora is supposed to look good.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's on my list of things to try, I just need to do a lot more reading on how to set it and use it.  Hopefully the weather will clear out tomorrow and I'll try to set it up tomorrow if the aurora is supposed to look good.
View Quote
That would be awesome.  (And yeah, at least for me, the settings were not intuitive at first but like anything, use it enough times and im sure it'll become 2nd nature.)   If your camera is anything like mine it'll have 2 versions.  One will just take pictures.  This is great if you want to go through and process each frame individually, then combine them yourself to make a short film.   The other will do it automatically in camera, but you lose the ability to do anything to the shots in lightroom or the like.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
you could use a cam ranger and ipad and just set it to do however many shot you want and walk away, or hook it up to a laptop and do the same.   On the really cold winter nights when I am out I'll star gaze for a bit while my telescope is shooting, then I just set it to do its thing and go warm my ass up inside.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

you could use a cam ranger and ipad and just set it to do however many shot you want and walk away, or hook it up to a laptop and do the same.   On the really cold winter nights when I am out I'll star gaze for a bit while my telescope is shooting, then I just set it to do its thing and go warm my ass up inside.  
View Quote
Yeah, the built in one on the Nikons you can set the run time and walk away from them as well...  Problem for me is I end up getting antsy and killing the time lapse about half way in so I can go back to taking regular photos lol
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top