Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2016 10:49:36 PM EDT
So, I still use my trusty old Canon 20D, long in the tooth but has always been reliable and as I'm not a pro I never felt the need to replace it, my daughter has shot a lot of weddings with it and every customer has been well satisfied.

Anyhow, crux of the buiscit is this; I have been using a Canon zoom, 70-210 I believe but am to lazy to go check at the moment?? It has an ultrasonic focusing motor and has image stabilizer. I have been using it for about 4 months along with a couple kit lenses and have had no issues, until last weekend. I was at my sons for my granddaughters birthday and switched to my 18-55 knock around lens and it would not focus, no confirmation beeps or lights on manual, no display for focus mode, nada, nada, nada. Switched to another lens and same deal. I could manually focus and shoot but the camera was not recognizing either lens as AF, switch back to the 70-210 and everything works perfectly fine and I can chose focus mode in typical fashion.

Before anyone asks I tried all three lenses on my brothers 30D and they functioned normally, so I flashed the firmware on the 20D and it still won't recognise the focus features on the two smaller lenses. So what could be wrong and how do I fix it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is there an auto/manual switch on the camera? If so, it may have gotten switched by accident.

And yeah, that camera's old as shit. Time to update.

Edit:

If it's not the a/m switch on the camera, you've probably got dirty or damaged contacts on the camera.
View Quote

If a good cleaning of the contacts doesn't work and you've already removed and reinstalled the battery, then I think it's time for a new camera. You can get a nice used 20D for next to nothing these days. I would considder upgrading to a 30 or even 40D. They're a big jump from a 20D and around $150 tops.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Any resolution to this? My 40D has a similar issue which developed in the last week or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top