Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2016 9:09:22 PM EDT
I decided it was time to update the firmware on my Nikon D3200 because once in a while I was getting a bogus error message about my SD Card. (Well documented issue). I have a battery grip that holds two batteries attached to my camera. As soon as the update was done, I get an error message about improper battery. I rolled back to the last version of the firmware and no issues.

After market Battery grip $14. Works great, looks great and I have never run out of juice even shooting for a whole day yet.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
How many frames would you say you shoot in a full day?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the batteries also third-party?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]

I get maybe 3-4K shots with each of my D300's with 8 AA NiMH in the grip. But my guess the error you got for battery has more to do with the aftermarket grip than anything else. Try taking it off, clean the contacts and reinstall. As for aftermarket oem style batteries, if you get them from a store (as apposed to amazon, ebay), they most likely are made by the same company that makes the OEM ones, just have different brand names put on them. The amazon/ebay Chinese ones I'd be leery with.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I removed the grip and tried all three batteries that I have and no errors. Put the grip back on, errors!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I removed the grip and tried all three batteries that I have and no errors. Put the grip back on, errors!
View Quote

Battery problems are a common (not necessarily frequent) problem with the third-party grips.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seems like it is time to abandon that grip. The good ones are expensive. This may be why.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like it is time to abandon that grip. The good ones are expensive. This may be why.

I just rolled it back to the previous firmware. I am not getting hosed on my $4 third party batteries and my $14 after market battery grip!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:17:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I dropped my camera, short drop, and the damn thing did it again! I had to pull SPORTS and pop all the batts out and remove the grip and reinstall before it would clear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top