Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2016 2:23:53 PM EDT
I am looking for inexpensive software to do fairly simple editing of my digital images.  I have used Photoshop in the past and probably only used 10% of the features.  I want to be able to crop the images and make minor adjustments to brightness, contrast and the color as well as to be able to work with black and white from some of my older scanned negatives

I'll be working on a PC laptop,with the newest operating system.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Gimp, its free.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hear you can get older versions of photoshop free now as well. CS3 I think it was someone said you can get off their website.
View Quote
All that was discontinued I think.

GIMP or Paint.net would be a good starting place for inexpensive.  Both are _free_ so no loss but time to check them out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

GIMP or Paint.net would be a good starting place for inexpensive.  Both are _free_ so no loss but time to check them out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hear you can get older versions of photoshop free now as well. CS3 I think it was someone said you can get off their website.

I use paint.net daily at work
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The one that I would recommend is LightZone.  It's free and an excellent photo program.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks all
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Lightroom is fairly cheap, and very much worth it. Extremely smooth and intuitive workflow, great UI, and tons of features.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The "photographer" bundle of Lightroom + Photoshop for $10 per month subscription is hard to beat.

Corel's PaintShop Pro is a great product, uses most/all the same plug-ins as Photoshop.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]
For quick edits I just use the windows photo editor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]
For RAW processing, you can use LightZone (free) and Capture NX-D (Nikon, free).  Think of these as Lightroom alternatives.

For general image editing, you want the GIMP.  Also free.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The "photographer" bundle of Lightroom + Photoshop for $10 per month subscription is hard to beat.

Corel's PaintShop Pro is a great product, uses most/all the same plug-ins as Photoshop.

View Quote

I'm about as cheap as they've come and even I've sprung for that now. I do used it extensively though as I was kind of thrust into a semi-pro photography type gig at work a couple of years ago. I process a lot of photos so it's worth it to me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Lightzone works good for me.    The noise reduction feature is handy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
im using the last version of corel PS bundle which comes with paintshop pro ultimate x8, aftershot, and perfect effects. got it off amazon as a digital download for less than $40. 9x just came out but i havent checked the price. for the few times i need editing software i couldnt justify paying a monthly subscription for LR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top