Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2016 9:43:12 PM EDT
Wife is due late December and we'd like to get a good camera and stop using our phones so much.... for posterity's sake.

Also, we'd like it to be a camera that is capable enough to take some really great wildlife and scenery photos given the proper lens of course.

We happen to live in a place that has a pretty impressive spring migration of full plumage waterfowl, and we'd like to capture them in vivid detail if at all possible.

Along with the typical family trips and kids photos and such.

Budget is $1000 or so for just the camera and basic lens, with the ability to purchase others later on.

Thanks for any info,....................... we don't know much about photography, so go easy!

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You have a lot of options for bodies. I've recently picked up an old Canon 40D for next to nothing and it takes good photos. Everyone will be along shortly to tell you that it's the glass that makes all the difference. They're right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Kind of depends on the specifics. Are we talking stills or video? Once you get away from an ipotato things change.

There are a whole bunch of entry level DSRs that do video too, like the Nikon 3300.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kind of depends on the specifics. Are we talking stills or video? Once you get away from an ipotato things change.

There are a whole bunch of entry level DSRs that do video too, like the Nikon 3300.
View Quote

Still photos
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wife is due late December and we'd like to get a good camera and stop using our phones so much.... for posterity's sake.

Also, we'd like it to be a camera that is capable enough to take some really great wildlife and scenery photos given the proper lens of course.

We happen to live in a place that has a pretty impressive spring migration of full plumage waterfowl, and we'd like to capture them in vivid detail if at all possible.

Along with the typical family trips and kids photos and such.

Budget is $1000 or so for just the camera and basic lens, with the ability to purchase others later on.

Thanks for any info,....................... we don't know much about photography, so go easy!

View Quote

Nikon D5300/D5500

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010025-REG/nikon_13303_d5300_dslr_camera_with.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1111433-REG/nikon_1548_d5500_dx_format_dig.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Still photos
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still photos
It does those well too.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to a store that sells lots of cameras and try them out.
Pay attention to the size, weight, shape, button layout, etc.
If the camera does not feel good in YOUR hands, you are not going to take it out much.

Nikon vs Canon bodies, there is no real world differences that really matter; you are buying into a lens system.

I happen to prefer Nikon for their ergonomics.
If you go Nikon, pay attention to the sizes. The D3000 and D5000 lines are really small sized, which may be a problem for folks with bigger hands. I greatly prefer the large bodies.
My recommendation would be something in the D7000 line, like the D7100 or D7200, but that is pushing your budget.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot with a cannon mark ii 5d.  Got the body used for $1000.  

Im also a pretty specialized photographer.   I shoot almost exclusively macro.

" />
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of getting the best camera you can afford, and learning it. I don't agree with the "get a starter camera, then get another a few months later when it starts to drive you crazy" idea.

Within your budget, a refurb'd D7000, D7100, or D7200 is easily attainable, with a lens or three.
View Quote

100% agree.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the camera does not feel good in YOUR hands, you are not going to take it out much.

Nikon vs Canon bodies, there is no real world differences that really matter; you are buying into a lens system.

If you go Nikon, pay attention to the sizes. The D3000 and D5000 lines are really small sized, which may be a problem for folks with bigger hands. I greatly prefer the large bodies.
My recommendation would be something in the D7000 line, like the D7100 or D7200, but that is pushing your budget.
View Quote

That isn't the case with the D5500.  Apparently nikon made the grip larger. (comparable to if not better than the D7xxx series)
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That isn't the case with the D5500.  Apparently nikon made the grip larger. (comparable to if not better than the D7xxx series)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got pretty good sized hands and the D5300 is just fine size wise.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Are the Nikon's pretty similar feature wise between the 5000 and 7000 series?

What are some must have features?

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm a fan of getting the best camera you can afford, and learning it. I don't agree with the "get a starter camera, then get another a few months later when it starts to drive you crazy" idea.

Within your budget, a refurb'd D7000, D7100, or D7200 is easily attainable, with a lens or three.
View Quote

+1

B&H and KEH are worth a look.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top