Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2016 6:47:12 PM EDT
Made a free to me light box today. Trying to work my photo taking skills. Figured I would start small scale and work my way up to a full size rifle. I am using an LG V10 cell phone at the moment. I think with more practice using the manual settings on the phone and a better light box they could turn out better. Anyways let me know what you think so far.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a crude picture of the light box. Maybe if I used a light on both sides instead of the top it would look better. And did not use thick printer paper. But hey it was free and what I had laying around lol.

Here is another picture with a little less exposure. Hopefully that is the right term.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
WB is way off on the first one. Too much red.

Look at adding more white on the sides of the box. It will help reflect the light.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's on of my "lightboxes" back in the day.

You will ultimately be limited by the limitations of your camera phone.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely watch your white balance. Here's a 5 sec color correction to show the difference.

Looks like it's a little soft on the right also.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Look at adding more white on the sides of the box. It will help reflect the light.
View Quote

OK I will give that try and see what happens. Thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's on of my "lightboxes" back in the day.

You will ultimately be limited by the limitations of your camera phone.  

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/forester1/DSCN1927.jpg
View Quote

Yeah I kind of figured it would eventually come down to the phones ability. My wife has a really Canon camera I will try out. Want to make a better light box and figure that out first.... If I can lol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
You also need to increase the exposure. Your phone's meter is seeing all the white and over compensating because the white is making the phone think it is over exposing. So the auto setting underexposes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You also need to increase the exposure. Your phone's meter is seeing all the white and over compensating because the white is making the phone think it is over exposing. So the auto setting underexposes.
View Quote

Will it does this even if it's in manual setting mode? I ask because when I lined the phone up with the box it was super white on the screen until I messed with the settings.

I will play with the settings some tonight.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Definitely watch your white balance. Here's a 5 sec color correction to show the difference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/arfcom/mrtwohands_zpspdxb12mt.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/arfcom/mrtwohands_zpspdxb12mt.jpg

Wow what a difference. Yeah I am way off
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The goal with a scene like this is to blow out, or nearly blow out the white area.

If you can spot meter on your subject (some phones allow this) you'll get pretty close to the intended result. You may still need to stick on a bit of exposure compensation to fine tune it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will it does this even if it's in manual setting mode? I ask because when I lined the phone up with the box it was super white on the screen until I messed with the settings.

I will play with the settings some tonight.

The goal with a scene like this is to blow out, or nearly blow out the white area.

If you can spot meter on your subject (some phones allow this) you'll get pretty close to the intended result. You may still need to stick on a bit of exposure compensation to fine tune it.

I just threw this together for an example.

Gun on white piece of paper. Lit by a window from the left side. Top photo is auto settings from my phone camera. Bottom photo is +2.0 exposure compensation. The strip of white on the right side is pure white. I just resized and put the pictures on one image in photoshop.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, so I downloaded Adobe Lightroom photoshop app. Bottom picture is the original one I posted earlier. Top photo is the edited one from the new app. How does it look? What changes need to be made?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Another one I did. I don't think it's great but not bad for a cell phone and a free editing app.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top