Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2016 5:45:34 AM EDT

Just a quick photo session I did with my sister in law.  Basically 2 speed lights  to drown out the ambient light, a fan and some different types of fabric.

Issues I had were my timing when she would jump.  I would snap the photo as soon as she left the ground and didn't really let her get air.  Also I afterwards I realized I had stayed in one spot the whole time so I pretty much only got profile shots.  

Hopefully I will get another change next time I come to visit her.  It was alot of fun and a good learning experience.  This was the first time I have used off camera flash.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The last two are great.  Awesome that you're using off-camera flash. There's a ton of different things you can do with them.  It's only limited by the patience of your subject.

This is just a personal thing, so take it for what it's worth.  Composition-wise, that first should could use a slightly lower angle to keep the floor from being distracting.  The colors are great, but my eye keeps getting drawn to the floor and the uneven lines of the curtains.  It took me a little while to actually figure out what that was, originally I thought they were the tops of chairs or something at the end of the stage.  

When using off-camera flash with 2 units, I like to do one of three different setups.

The traditional main/fill light.  The main is off to the side at full power while the fill is either behind or slightly off center at about half power.

I also can get creative with opposing lights.  You have your main light out front or to the side, (wherever) and the "kicker" to the opposite side of the subject.  Basically, imagine always pointing the lights at each other with the subject in the center.

Welcome to a world of almost infinite possibilities.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last two are great.  Awesome that you're using off-camera flash. There's a ton of different things you can do with them.  It's only limited by the patience of your subject.

This is just a personal thing, so take it for what it's worth.  Composition-wise, that first should could use a slightly lower angle to keep the floor from being distracting.  The colors are great, but my eye keeps getting drawn to the floor and the uneven lines of the curtains.  It took me a little while to actually figure out what that was, originally I thought they were the tops of chairs or something at the end of the stage.  

View Quote

See, I tend to disagree.  I get a much greater sense of motion and purpose from the first one.  The second one, the figure of the girl gets lost in the blur created by the light on the reflected fabric.  Looks a little bit like a disembodied head.  The third one is great.  Of course, I don't have all the experience that many others on here have, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

See, I tend to disagree.  I get a much greater sense of motion and purpose from the first one.  The second one, the figure of the girl gets lost in the blur created by the light on the reflected fabric.  Looks a little bit like a disembodied head.  The third one is great.  Of course, I don't have all the experience that many others on here have, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wups you're actually right.  I was typing this and going back and forth from my kid and mixed the 1st and 2nd shot up.  When I realized my mistake in the second paragraph, I forgot to go back and correct it in the first.

The 1st and 3rd shots are great.

That said, we all have our opinions, which is one of the good -and most frustrating- thing about artwork.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the thoughts and the advice.  Like I said first time using off camera flash and so still learning.  

I probably should have started with something easier for my first try but I figured why not go for broke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you for the thoughts and the advice.  Like I said first time using off camera flash and so still learning.  

I probably should have started with something easier for my first try but I figured why not go for broke.
View Quote

I would recommend a couple of "dry runs," I take pics of dance students at my local high school. You have watch them and their routines a few times to get a sense of when their are going to do their jumps etc. I personally find that shooting indoors my camera(Nikon D7100) hunts for a focus, and it may take a second or 2, and by that time show is over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top