Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2016 5:24:09 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up a used D300 to use as a spare/beater/backup body. Anyone have any experience or opinions on the platform? Yes, I know it's yesterday's technology, DX format, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about picking up a used D300 to use as a spare/beater/backup body. Anyone have any experience or opinions on the platform? Yes, I know it's yesterday's technology, DX format, etc.
View Quote

I think it depends on the price.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Something like a D7000, D7100 would quite handily outperform the D300 in any measurable method and you can get them used for around the same price.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The D300 is a great camera for the tech that is has. Cannot beat that pro-config body.

That said, anything from the D7000 line will contain newer tech but in a consumer-config body.
The upcoming D500 gets you brand new tech in the pro-config body with a price to match.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Fo'd.  Body, vertical grip, multiple batteries and chargers for less than $300. I figure I'm not getting hurt too bad. Will report results later.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent body and within its limitations capable of outstanding results. The ISO won't hold up to the newer bodies but at iso800 and below its very decent. With the grip it's got good frame rate and it's got a solid pro build. I've shot in light rain and wet snow with zero issues. You'll like it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Excellent body and within its limitations capable of outstanding results. The ISO won't hold up to the newer bodies but at iso800 and below its very decent. With the grip it's got good frame rate and it's got a solid pro build. I've shot in light rain and wet snow with zero issues. You'll like it.
View Quote
I'm ok with the limitations. I have my D810 for really challenging lighting situations. The D300 is the camera equivalent of a truck gun. Potential abuse is the reason I wanted to go with a full metal frame and weather sealing instead of the newer consumer configuration.

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife used a d300 for years for wedding photography upgraded to the d600 when it came out and the d300 is a backup.

It's a tough camera.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
New body arrived and I'm very pleased. Bought it sight unseen from KEH and it's nearly mint. Only 12,300 clicks on the shutter and no apparent scratches or dings anywhere on the body. I don't know who had this one before, but they didn't use it much!

Kudos to KEH once again!
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a D300s awhile back. Excellent body, but needs a GOOD lens to get the most from it, of course.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Despite owning a D800E, I still use my D300 from time to time. ISO can be limiting, just use it in good light and you will get great results.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up the 300s as a back up because I like the button layout.  If I have to transition from on to the other it just makes life a bit easier.  

Also I have a D700 which uses the same batteries and grips.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad you got it and like it.  Mine, with over 100k on the shutter count, is still my go-to outdoor sports camera.  There is newer tech out there, but until the D500 came out, you could not get anything with DX format that would do 8fps (need the battery pack).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top