Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 4:39:02 PM EDT
My problem is that our Canon DSLR camera will turn on but it takes a long time to get it to take a picture.  If you push the shutter button it may, or may not, take the photo. Eventually it will take a picture but sometimes you have to repeatedly push the button until it decides it's time to work.  As far as I can tell it's not a focus problem.  My wife said our son spilled a little hot chocolate on it a while back but I don't know how much got on it or where.  I'm hoping this is the problem.  So, that leaves me with two questions.  Does anyone think I'll get off that easy and if so where do I take a camera in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area? I found The Camera Shop in Bryn Mawr, PA but they only clean sensors.  They send out anything that needs a real repair and I'd like to avoid the middle man if possible.
Thanks for any advice.

UPDATE:  I cheaped out and did not send the camera out for cleaning/repair.  After some more phone calls to camera shops and reading doc-Zox's link, I decided that I was mechanically inclined enough to tackle the job.  I took over the dining room table and tore it apart after everyone went to bed.  I placed the screws (about 2 dozen or more) out on the table in the order and position the came out.  I YouTube video or two later and the whole thing was in a bunch of pieces.  I cleaned what I thought was safe to touch and reassembled it. In the middle of this process my wife wakes up to go to work (she works nights at hospital), looks at it and doesn't say a word.  She admitted later that she was very sure that she was getting a new camera at that moment. After it was back together it seemed to work like it should.  No more long delay waiting for it to work.

Thanks again for all of your advice and help.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't specify what camera you have.

That's a factor because you may be looking at a cost to repair that would come damn close to replacement cost for a newer camera. Something to consider.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Just throwing this out there but the self timer isn't on right? ie you push the shutter button and the light on the front of the camera blinks?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You didn't specify what camera you have.

That's a factor because you may be looking at a cost to repair that would come damn close to replacement cost for a newer camera. Something to consider.
View Quote

Sorry about that.  It's a Canon EOS rebel xsi  I should also add that after it takes the first photo it works good until it is turned off, then the process starts all over when turned back on.

Thanks again for your help.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just throwing this out there but the self timer isn't on right? ie you push the shutter button and the light on the front of the camera blinks?
View Quote

I'm at work and don't have the camera with me but I don't think that's a likely cause only because it takes a varying amount of time to work when it's turned on.  It's not the same amount of time each time we try to use it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
That camera is really old.

I'd say it isn't worth fixing and put the money towards a newer one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm at work and don't have the camera with me but I don't think that's a likely cause only because it takes a varying amount of time to work when it's turned on.  It's not the same amount of time each time we try to use it.
View Quote

Gotcha. Agree with Zack, not worth fixing. Sell it on ebay as not working for $20.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The thought that it might not be worth fixing never crossed my mind. Now I feel like I should be looking for something newer. I wasn't prepared to spend that much money right now but if I have to I'll deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
really no harm in inverting it
hitting the button with wd40

and blowing it out with canned air
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
really no harm in inverting ithitting the button with wd40
View Quote

You can do that?  That sounds dangerous but admittedly I don't know much about cameras either.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife said our son spilled a little hot chocolate on it
View Quote

Translation:  Augustus Gloop took it for his ride through the chocolate factory.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You can do that?  That sounds dangerous but admittedly I don't know much about cameras either.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

really no harm in inverting ithitting the button with wd40

otherwise you are doing this

you could start out by swabing the button with a vodka soaked qtip

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I've worked dental floss under shutter buttons and other camera controls with moderate success.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The thought that it might not be worth fixing never crossed my mind. Now I feel like I should be looking for something newer. I wasn't prepared to spend that much money right now but if I have to I'll deal with it.
View Quote

My antique D3100 needed a proper servicing.  The cost of a deep cleaning and repair was about half the cost of a refurb D7100.  So I got a D7100.

If KEH wants $250 to fix your antique Canon, take a look at newer refurbished, open box or used cameras.  Plow that $250 into a better camera body.

You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the advice.  Does anyone know if the lenses for my current  EOS rebel xsi fit on a new body?
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.  Does anyone know if the lenses for my current  EOS rebel xsi fit on a new body?
View Quote

They will fit a newer Canon, yes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

BTW: update in OP
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#18]
excelsior!

At somepoint, after the 33rd screw falls under the table,

my irish genes express themselves in a green hulk rage that

results in a smoking hole, scrapnel and vocalizations reported to be quite squatchie.

I have a partially disassembled 40D I could send you
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
excelsior!

At somepoint, after the 33rd screw falls under the table,
my irish genes express themselves in a green hulk rage that
results in a smoking hole, scrapnel and vocalizations reported to be quite squatchie.

I have a partially disassembled 40D I could send you
View Quote

That actually made me LOL   Trying to keep the hulk rage contained was the reason I waited until the house was very quiet.  I didn't want anyone bumping the table and sending me into a nuclear meltdown over something so meaningless.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top