Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2016 10:30:19 AM EDT
Are we reaching the practical limits of trading off more mega pixels for less flexibility?

Here is a quote from The Digital Picture in their latest review of the 24 megapixel T6i Canon.

"A topic that should be touched on here is diffraction. Because the density of this sensor is so extreme, the image-softening effects of diffraction begin to be noticeable at aperture as wide as f/5.9. The softness increase is gradual and apertures considerably narrower will sometimes be desired, but the photographer needs to understand the cost vs. benefits for doing so. Here is an f/4 vs f/8 example."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T6i.aspx
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It's an interesting subject, and one of the advantages full frame cameras have over DX sensors. Given the same pixel count, a DX sensor will usually show negative results from diffraction a stop or two wider than a full frame generally speaking.

It's not always that simple though. What lens you're using also seems to play a part. There are also apparently other factors that I don't fully understand.

I'll give an example. The D7100 generally starts to show diffraction somewhere in the neighborhood of f/11 to f/16. OK, cool. The D7200 seems to behave about the same.

However when adding in a teleconverter, diffraction becomes an issue at a far lower aperture. I can only guess that this is due to the way teleconverters work (by magnifying the center of the frame, at least on a DX) and thus making it seem more apparent.

I noticed this with my 105 macro, which on its own doesn't seem to suffer from diffraction much at all at any reasonable aperture. Stick a TC on there and it's diffraction city, even at a calculated f/8.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If the Megapixel race continues, even the full frames will run out of the sharpest apertures.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The MP race is crazy.  I'd rather have a hi-qual 16 MP sensor with good associated electronics anf firmware than a 42 MP junky one.

ISO 64 slide film is equivalent to around 8.5 megapixels (about the resolution of a Canon 20D) and ISO 50 is equivalent to around 13 megapixels (surpassing the resolution of a Canon 1D).
View Quote

Edit, that's a 2004 article.

Photo.net linky

Here's what seems to be a better and more current article.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that a lot of the sensor manufactures are starting to stop the megapixel race and are starting to focus on IQ and dynamic range.

I'll take insane stops of range on a sensor over pixels any day (thank you Sony).
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that a lot of the sensor manufactures are starting to stop the megapixel race and are starting to focus on IQ and dynamic range.

I'll take insane stops of range on a sensor over pixels any day (thank you Sony).
View Quote

I think it will become a real issue in the future without some kind of breakthrough.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting video. On my iPad, I couldn't see the results he was espousing.

So he says that Resolution always trumps diffraction?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#8]
If the only variable is resolution it would appear so. I don't think it's a perfect cookie cutter answer for every situation though, see my macro 2x above. But as a general rule I'd say he's on to something.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh hell yes.  Give me noise-free insane ISO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ISO noise is already beyond amazing at levels that weren't possible just a few years ago. Dynamic range compression is still an issue as ISO rises.

I know you've read my ETTR thread (that seems to have slipped off into the archives)
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Truth there, Zack.

The ISO performance, even on the same level, between the D200 and the D7100 is amazing.

And I'm trying to embrace ETTR, but seeing as how most of my shots seem to be in crappy light, and flash/strobes aren't really an option, it's that tradeoff between noisy, got the shot, and not-noisy, but everything's a dark blur.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Truth there, Zack.

The ISO performance, even on the same level, between the D200 and the D7100 is amazing.

And I'm trying to embrace ETTR, but seeing as how most of my shots seem to be in crappy light, and flash/strobes aren't really an option, it's that tradeoff between noisy, got the shot, and not-noisy, but everything's a dark blur.

View Quote

Some noise will always be there. If it's too distracting make the picture black and white and call it artistic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top