Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2016 11:24:03 AM EDT
I'm looking to replace my no longer working Manfrotto with something much better.
It was a low end model that's finally given up the ghost. It was a pain to use.
After aligning the camera to the subject tightening the nuts caused the camera to move.
I'm looking for something that, for a start, will solve that problem.

I checked out Gitzo and ReallyRightStuff and that's the level of quality I'd like but would like to spend a lot less if possible.
I'm going to be using this for hiking in the mountains so weight and portability are my #1 considerations &
then stability, build quality & ease of use.

W/out getting into the big bucks of a Gitzo or RRS tripod/head does anyone have any recommendations based on their experience with other brands
that you'd recommend? I'm mostly interested in being able to shoot panoramas. I'll be using this with a Sony a6000 and the biggest lens I'll be using it with is a
Canon EF 100mm Macro for close up work. For the panos I'll either use the OSS 50mm 1.8 from Sony or a Touit 12mm 2.8 if I decide to get one.

Here's what I've come up with that looks like the best alternative that will give results nearly equivalent to the top tier brands w/out the hit to the wallet:
Feisol Traveler Tripod 4 Section Carbon Fiber Tripod with CB-40D Ball Head
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Just keep your Manfrotto tripod legs and replace the head with a RRS head. That Feisol you linked to is $500. The RRS BH55 can be head for $500 give or take for whichever clamp you pick.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish I could but it was the legs that broke on the Manfrotto. I'm definitely looking at the rrs heads though &
the RRS BH-40 Ballhead w/ B2-40-LR lever-release looks about the right size for my lightweight camera and lens setup.
That said, the BH-30 has the same 40mm base as the Feisol so that might be a deciding factor.
Anyway, either rrs head is a big step up from the Feisol head but you definitely pay for that.

Any thoughts on tripods other than the Feisol? The Feisol is really lightweight and looks well designed and constructed
and sells for $359. Here's the specs:

The brand new FEISOL CT-3332 Rapid offers the ultimate in lightweight comfort without sacrificing stability. It manages to shave off another few ounces of unnecessary weight, yet retains amazing rigidity by incorporating a stability enhancing three leg-section design, thus reflecting the FEISOL philosophy like no other.

The CT-3332 folds down to a mere 15.75 inches (40 cm) , incorporating an innovative design that allows the legs to flip up 180 degrees over the 2-section telescopic center column. Best of all, the weight of the CT-3332 is a startling  1.79 pounds (0.81 kg) including center column.

Features of the FEISOL CT-3332 include
- Constructed of top quality carbon fiber and high grade, CNC-milled 6061 T6 solid block aluminum
- FEISOL's new Rapid anti-leg-rotation technology
- Preset leg angles at 25, 50, and 75 degrees
- Reverse-folding legs which flip up 180 degrees over the ball head for maximum compactness
- A maximum operating height of  53.94 inches )13 cm), while folding down to a length of just  15.75 inches (40 cm).

- Base diameter of 1.6 inches (40 mm)
- A lightweight but highly durable frame that weighs just  1.79 pounds (0.81 kg) including center column

- Maximum 24 mm (0.95 inch) leg tubes, with aluminum alloy screws on the leg joints for lightweight operation (do not overtighten)
- 3 leg-section design
- The CT-3332 features two different spikes for various terrains (optional), giving the tripod an exceptionally solid stand
- An attractive tripod bag is included

The FEISOL CT-3332 is the ultimate ultra-lightweight camera support system for the serious traveler.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used the same set of Giottos legs for years. They're awesome. Heavy, but awesome. The legs spread wide to get you low and the center column inverts or lays horizontally which can be great for added flexibility.

I'm a big fan of both Kirk and RRS. I currently run a Kirk BH-3 and it's held up to years' of abuse. Most of my L brackets are RRS. I think they're both pretty comparable price-wise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I posted a similar thread a while back, it's lost to the archives now.

This tripod (and its variants) received several good recommendations. They make it in aluminum and carbon fiber, 3 and 4 leg sections etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034141-REG/manfrotto_mt055cxpro4_carbon_fiber_tripod.html

Yes, it's another Manfrotto.

For macro work it's hard to beat a tripod that can do the tricks this one can.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I like everything about it except it's weigh too heavy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the 3 Legged Thing line of tripods.  I have one, The Brian, and love it but they have several others in their line and several price ranges.  
www.threeleggedthing.com
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm using a Manfrotto MK294A3-D3RC2 294 Aluminum Tripod.  It came with the pan head but I replaced that with the Manfrotto MH054M0-Q2 ball head, which I LOVE, and just swapped out the proprietary clamp with a RRS arca clamp.

And got an RRS L-plate for the 7100.  But I cheaped out and got a Breakthrough Photography arca plate for the 150-600.  I'm very pleasantly surprised; good tolerances, good finish, and less than half what the big boys charge.

And have a Manfrotto arca-compatible QR clamp for the head in transit; the RRS clamp wasn't "made" for the ball head and while it's working it just isn't "right".  That way I can use the RRS clamp for a strap and move it around easily as needed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I posted a similar thread a while back, it's lost to the archives now.

This tripod (and its variants) received several good recommendations. They make it in aluminum and carbon fiber, 3 and 4 leg sections etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034141-REG/manfrotto_mt055cxpro4_carbon_fiber_tripod.html

Yes, it's another Manfrotto.

For macro work it's hard to beat a tripod that can do the tricks this one can.

View Quote

I have the previous version of this tripod and love it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate all the feedback. Lot's of good choices but weight is my #1 consideration.
I'm liking more and more the Feisols the more I read about peoples experiences with them.
The Brian would be a contender, as its weight is excellent, but the colors they make them are a bit too OTT for me.
That said, if I was to ever get lost in the woods, a Brian would probably make it easier for rescuers to find me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out the 3 Legged Thing line of tripods.  I have one, The Brian, and love it but they have several others in their line and several price ranges.  
www.threeleggedthing.com
View Quote

These are what I've been looking at for some lighter legs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#11]
First off , don't go by the brochure load capacity ...since there is no "standard" on when tripod is reached its capacity

Example, I have Bendro tripod that is nowhere near as stable as one of my similar Gitzos with the same rated capacity

I am a bit of a tripod and head collector . Have far more than I can possibly use

I have 4 travel tripods alone

3 section vs 4 section

- I find comparable 3 section more stable , especially for many of the import tripods where if you extend the last section it becomes noticeably less stable
- you need to decide if you are ok carrying bit longer folded height
- the "gitzo traveller / Benro Travel angel " style that legs fold backwards over head makes a huge difference

If you want bang for the buck I have been happy with Benro Travel Angle carbon fiber . Knock off of the Gitzo Traveller

IMO where the import tripods ( like Benro / Feisol / Induro etc ) fall short is the locking mechanism compared to the top end tripods

I personally would go inexpensive like Benro travel angel . On other extreme, I would forgo the higher end import like Feisol and go to FLM

Their legs are unbelievably light for other rigidity . Bit more than you want to spend but they are often on sale at B&H

I bought a  FLM CP26-L3S and it makes the Benro / Manfrotto Pro 055 I have feel like a toy

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_FLM&ci=2636&N=4075788741+4291456904
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I made the decision to go with a Tournament CT-3442 tripod from Feisol and their CB-40D head.
Decided to err on the side of stability over weight. Not sure if I'll miss the center post but I can always add one
later if I find the need & it'll still be a lot lighter than my current Manfrotto.

Should be here in a day or two. I'll do a mini-review after it arrives and I've had some time
to try it out.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#13]
In the market also..I've slick carbon fiber tripod i bought mainly for backpacking with but it's just a little too flimsy for my D810 and larger lenses.

Was hoping my tax return would allow me to get a RRS tripod, but it does not look like I will see a tax return..

I still plan on getting a sturdier one, and I'll probably end up budgeting about $500.00 for it
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Glocke12,
I received the Tournament CT-3442 and it is, if anything, really sturdy.
I tried it out by putting my 100mm Canon macro w/Metabone adaptor on it
and shooting really small stuff to see if the head would move. No movement.
The feel of the tripod is very good and shows quality workmanship.
It's not RRS but very solidly made & half the price.
By the way, the Tournament is their best seller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top