Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2016 6:39:57 PM EDT
I'm thinking we should have a thread on light. We touch on it now and again, but in general don't talk about it.

What do you all use for shooting people? How and why do you use them?

Here are a few examples of what I use and how. I use them all with yongnuo flashes and super cheep radio triggers.

I've got a 42" collapsable Westcott that I have in my bag all of the time. I use it for group shots, photo booth, and portraits. I mainly use this when I need something light and compact.

For head shots and portraits I also use a 2x3 box with a silver lining and diffusion panel (something cheap off of amazon). Sometimes with a grid, sometimes without. I use it a lot, indoor an out.

I did just pick up a Westcott 7' silver parabolic and diffusion panel.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet other that take a couple of shots of the wife.

I love the versatility so far. I have shot it with and without the diffuser. I've also shot it partially collapsed and absolutely love it!

This is no diffuser.

This is with the diffuser

This is an un edited shot using it partly collapsed. You can tell by the annoyed look that she has very little patience for standing in front of the camera.

Here it is.

Feel free to contribute. Show us what, where, why and how you use!

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
look up bajas, they are pretty damn good.  

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084510-REG/dynalite_b4_400_baja_b4_battery_powered_monolight.html

we've tested the hell out of them for the past year, no complaints from us.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084510-REG/dynalite_b4_400_baja_b4_battery_powered_monolight.html

View Quote

Damn, that's a rather portable, powerful little shit for the price of a speed light. If I didn't have to invest in dynalite modifiers I'd be very interested.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Damn, that's a rather portable, powerful little shit for the price of a speed light. If I didn't have to invest in dynalite modifiers I'd be very interested.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we have used the hell out of them for on location corporate headshots and environmental headshots and they work great.   Our main focus is architecture and product photography but we won't turn down the people work.   We have to be jacks of all trades in this city, its not large enough to focus purely on architecture, though I would love to
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Those are pretty cool. I was planning on getting a couple of PCB Einsteins, but I might have to reconsider for portability's sake.

Quoted:

View Quote

You can get mount adapters to attach your current modifiers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is exactly what I have been looking for. Seem that any thing Timothy portable cost $2000 just to get started.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is exactly what I have been looking for. Seem that any thing Timothy portable cost $2000 just to get started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adorama's rove light is another option. Available in a Bowens mount.

Or get Profoto B1s.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:04:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Or get Profoto B1s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or get Profoto B1s.

I really want B1's or B2's, but I'm not really at that point of needing them yet....

Here are a couple from this weekend. Shot with two speed lights into the 7' parabolic and one off to camera right as a kick/hair light. Also had a relfector off to the right catching some of the back flash to fill a touch.

Ideally I would have had the umbrella up a little higher, but the wind was blowing... Have you ever tried to anchor a 7' umbrella that is open and facing into the wind?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top