Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2015 10:08:51 PM EDT
What the heck is the difference?

I have a good flash that works great on my D3300 but just I am trying to figure what makes a speed light different?

I know lame question...
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The term Speedlight is a registered trademark for the Nikon brand of on camera flashes (which of course, can be used off camera too).  But over the years, many people have come to use the term "speedlight" in a generic sense, meaning any hot shoe mounted flash.

But technically speaking, it is a Nikon brand flash.  That's all.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 to the above poster. It's like bandaid or q-tip.

Common name for all similar items, but a brand name too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The term Speedlight is a registered trademark for the Nikon brand of on camera flashes (which of course, can be used off camera too).  But over the years, many people have come to use the term "speedlight" in a generic sense, meaning any hot shoe mounted flash.

But technically speaking, it is a Nikon brand flash.  That's all.
View Quote

Thank you so mush... Ever thing I found online was bag of shit about which one is the best... I have a good Nikon flash that is old but works great and it has sentimental value in that it was my fathers and it works so now all I will need is a few thing like flash stands and umbrellas and remote trigger
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Problem with older speedlights like the Nikon SB-28 and SB-80 etc is the ttl is not compatible with the i-ttl of the newer cameras

As a result, you can only use them in manual mode

The whole purpose of having a speedlight is the i-ttl . It excels at everything from fill light, high speed sync etc

You can get into new i-ttl flashes pretty cheap ( OEM or aftermarket brands )

Also keep in mind that , when you are in Manual mode on the Nikon body, it is still auto iso, so  you also need to turn off auto iso
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
In addition, it seems that, colloquially, flash refers to the on camera flash and speedlight refers to a hotshoe or otherwise off camera flash.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Strobe! -or should we go back even further and just call it all Balcar?!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I come from the days of the flash bulbs(remember single use Press 2B lamps, and AG1 jelly bean bulbs, and flash/magic cubes), I call them electronic flashes, strobes, speed lights etc, they mean the something to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Speedlight has become a term synonymous with hot shoe mounted flash units. The term "small flash" is also equivalent.

Flash is just a general term for any flash unit.

Strobes often refer to larger flash units, even though strobe and flash are technically the same.

It's all semantics at this point, but if anyone says they use a Speedlight, I'm assuming it's a hot shoe mountable flash unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top