Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2015 7:25:24 PM EDT
I just started a site to throw some pictures on and have fun with. I'm hosting it on a Raspberry Pi 2 running Wordpress because I figured I'm not going to have too much traffic so it was free besides the Raspi.

Does anyone have any general tips/advice for an amateur photo website/blog (not a business one)?

And then I was hoping maybe a couple of you might take a look at my site and let me know specifically what you think about it. I'm not fishing for hits or anything - I don't have ads or any social media set up. Just want to get an honest opinion.

Thanks guys!  

Adam Davis Photography

EDIT: Well you guys can hold off on the critiques, my server crashed and the SD card is corrupted. Working on redoing everything.

EDIT2: We are back live.

EDIT3: down again.

EDIT4: Back via AWS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They are nice pictures Adam.   Photography was much more impressive when there was only film and the step processes one had to go through for a fine picture were sometimes quite difficult.

I would never give up the hours in the dark room.  They were enjoyable and sometimes even rewarding.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always wanted to try to pick up some old film equipment cheap but I enjoy digital and technology too much I think. I'm too young to have shot film besides for the Kodak disposable cameras on vacations.

Maybe one day I'll try it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Pbase.com is a great site, member since 94, $23 yearly for 1000 MB of photo storage.

Link to my site http://www.pbase.com/fletchaka
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I finally got the chance to restore the site completely. Got a few tweaks in under the hood too.

So I'll bump this back up: Any advice in general? or then specifically about my site?

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a review:

I clicked the link and the browser came back and says   "PAGE CAN"T BE DISPLAYED."

Is the site really up?

EBR
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm no expert, but if the site doesn't offer digital copy protection with at least watermarking, I'd invest in some 3rd party software like Digimarc and apply it to every photo that was going to be hosted.

You say it's not a business, but do you really want to see your good work used by some ad agency to make millions of dollars, and you not see a penny of it?

ETA - "Server Not Found' when I tried to connect to your site.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah the sites dead again. I've given up on the Raspberry Pi self hosting and am transferring to a paid plan.Should be back in a few days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Something to consider... If you dont already have but are thinking about using Adobe Cloud the photographer package runs $9.99/mo

BUT

If you create an account on 500px.com and buy the Adobe cloud package through them, its $10.35/mo but it comes with their "Awesome Account" that comes with your own portfolio website...   So for a few cents a month you get their premium account features & portfolio site
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top