Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2015 3:20:26 AM EDT
I have View NX2 that I got with my Nikon D3300 but have been watching a lot of videos about shooting RAW thanks to a guy on you tube and really like the idea that you can tweak the photo a lot in processing verse doing it on the camera. I also like that you get everything that the camera is giving you verse what JPEG edited for you.

So I can edit with NX2 but would like to here what some of you use to edit your photos..

I have the ability to get the  Adobe creative cloud suite for a cheap monthly price through school ($19 per month) so I though about going that way..
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I find Adobe Creative Cloud well worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Adobe's "photographer's" bundle of Photoshop + Lightroom for $10/month is a hard deal to beat. I have that bundle and do most of my work in Lightroom now.

Along with that I have Corel's PaintShop Pro, a competitor to Photoshop that uses the same plug-ins. I happen to like the UI of PSP better than Photoshop, so for easy edits I tend to go here instead of Photoshop.

I also have Nikon's older Capture NX2 for my older cameras.

However, my overall recommendation is the Lightroom + Photoshop bundle for $10/month.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adobe's "photographer's" bundle of Photoshop + Lightroom for $10/month is a hard deal to beat. I have that bundle and do most of my work in Lightroom now.

Along with that I have Corel's PaintShop Pro, a competitor to Photoshop that uses the same plug-ins. I happen to like the UI of PSP better than Photoshop, so for easy edits I tend to go here instead of Photoshop.

I also have Nikon's older Capture NX2 for my older cameras.

However, my overall recommendation is the Lightroom + Photoshop bundle for $10/month.

View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't upgraded yet, and don't plan on it for another year probably.  Does the CC allow offline operation?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I haven't upgraded yet, and don't plan on it for another year probably.  Does the CC allow offline operation?
View Quote

Yes. Using the CC version of LR/PS does require the software to "phone home" periodically. All the software is installed locally.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes. Using the CC version of LR/PS does require the software to "phone home" periodically. All the software is installed locally.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, this is what I use and love it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  The full version is running a sale for $29/mo, but it's only for a year then goes to $50.  (as if I wasn't getting that from Comcast already).  

Still on the fence how I feel about this.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.  The full version is running a sale for $29/mo, but it's only for a year then goes to $50.  (as if I wasn't getting that from Comcast already).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and me, both.  I have no desire to add another monthly payment into my life.  I get plenty tired of the ones (phone, utilities, etc.) I have now.  

I suppose if I were a working pro, I'd would do it.  But as an amateur, CS5 still serves me quite well.  And until it gets completely outdated, I'm not likely to upgrade to anything.  If I run across a  Raw file that Camera RAW won't handle, I convert it to a DNG.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You and me, both.  I have no desire to add another monthly payment into my life.  I get plenty tired of the ones (phone, utilities, etc.) I have now.  

I suppose if I were a working pro, I'd would do it.  But as an amateur, CS5 still serves me quite well.  And until it gets completely outdated, I'm not likely to upgrade to anything.  If I run across a  Raw file that Camera RAW won't handle, I convert it to a DNG.
View Quote

See, I AM a working pro, and I haven't found anything I can't handle in CS6.  I may be wrong and missing something, but so far I go from Bridge to ACR to Photoshop CS6.  

Besides, as a working pro, the monthly fees are tiring as well.  I think it's funny how so many people want to charge so much money from an industry who's workers make so little.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

See, I AM a working pro, and I haven't found anything I can't handle in CS6.  I may be wrong and missing something, but so far I go from Bridge to ACR to Photoshop CS6.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my workflow also, and I haven't found anything in my photography that CS5 can't handle, either.  If I had to start over today, I'd  go with Lightroom, and would not upgrade to CC, unless absolutely necessary.  I also use Nikon Silver Efex for B&W conversions, and Kodak Digital GEM airbrush (older version) for smoothing skin (a little goes a long way...use with caution).  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
For my Nikon camera, I edit the RAW in Capture NX2.  I do this because I really like the way that Capture can take Control Points to edit a very specific area of the photograph.  Here's a quick video showing a little of what control points can do:  https://youtu.be/_tshO9oRUjw

I also REALLY recommend getting the Photographers package of Creative Cloud as there are so many things Photoshop can do that other programs can't (or are very tedious to do).  

If you can spend a little more money, get the NIK Collection plugin for Photoshop (also works in Lightroom).  The creators of the NIK software are the same people who made the Capture NX2 software, so they incorporate the same Control Point tools in each effects package.

My usual photo workflow goes as follows:  

1.  Open RAW File in Capture NX2 and use control  points, DR and other tools to get the image close to what I want.
2.  Save image as TIFF file.
3.  Open TIFF image in Photoshop and work on layers if I need them.  
4.  Use Nik Software Plugin (sometimes Silver Efex or Color Efex, ect.) to fine tune image and save.
5.  Use the Spot tool to take out any dust spots, or get rid of annoying parts of image.
6.  Save image as TIFF file.

Now to post on the web or resize I:

7. Resize using Bilinear Resampling
8.  Smart Sharpen usually at .7 pixels and between 25-40% depending on the image.
9.  Use Save for Web option for photos for web display.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For my Nikon camera, I edit the RAW in Capture NX2.  I do this because I really like the way that Capture can take Control Points to edit a very specific area of the photograph.  Here's a quick video showing a little of what control points can do:  https://youtu.be/_tshO9oRUjw

I also REALLY recommend getting the Photographers package of Creative Cloud as there are so many things Photoshop can do that other programs can't (or are very tedious to do).  

If you can spend a little more money, get the NIK Collection plugin for Photoshop (also works in Lightroom).  The creators of the NIK software are the same people who made the Capture NX2 software, so they incorporate the same Control Point tools in each effects package.

My usual photo workflow goes as follows:  

1.  Open RAW File in Capture NX2 and use control  points, DR and other tools to get the image close to what I want.

2.  Save image as TIFF file.

3.  Open TIFF image in Photoshop and work on layers if I need them.  

4.  Use Nik Software Plugin (sometimes Silver Efex or Color Efex, ect.) to fine tune image and save.

5.  Use the Spot tool to take out any dust spots, or get rid of annoying parts of image.

6.  Save image as TIFF file.

Now to post on the web or resize I:

7. Resize using Bilinear Resampling

8.  Smart Sharpen usually at .7 pixels and between 25-40% depending on the image.

9.  Use Save for Web option for photos for web display.

Hope that helps!
View Quote
Just helped me.  I'm using the older version of Capture NX-D (latest won't install, haven't tried second version yet) but the amount of WB/exposure/etc control is slightly overwhelming until I get used to it.  Haven't even tried the control points stuff yet.  (just started messing with this last week).

My old paint shop pro 6 software which I've grown used to (circa 2001... yeah, I know) does work with TIFF though, so I converted one of my edited RAWs to TIFF, and can continue working with layers and color channel mixers and such with psp.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm using an old (4.4 ?) version of Lightroom and Gimp for my photo processing and editing.
I love Lightroom for 95% of my processing, but can't/won't justify the cost for CC or standalone Photoshop at this time.
If I were you I'd try to get a standalone copy of Lightroom with your student discount, but it depends on your goals, workflow and budget.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I may have asked this before, but I'm seriously having brain farts right now.  Does Bridge come with the photography package on Adobe CC?  If I got it, it would most-likely be the full version, but just wondering.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does Bridge come with the photography package on Adobe CC?
View Quote

The Desktop CC app does indicate that the installation of Bridge is free with my "Photography CC" subscription.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I use Lightzone for processing of RAW.  I'm a rank amateur, but it works for me.

Original:

Original:

[#17]
Adobe Lightroom, I found is the best for general photography applications, Photoshop is way too difficult and expensive unless you are a graphic artist. Lightroom is reasonable at ~$120, and well worth the price; so you don't have to bootleg it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bridge to ACR to Photoshop CS6
View Quote

-that, right there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

-that, right there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bridge to ACR to Photoshop CS6

-that, right there.

That is a good suggestion if you are working with other files in addition to photographs.

For anyone doing just photography, Adobe's recommendation is the Lightroom + Photoshop bundle for $10/month, which is a good recommendation.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top