Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Photo a day picture thread! (Page 137 of 140)
Page / 140
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

It's so sharp and clear that it makes me feel like it's computer-generated. Damn fine shot.
View Quote

Thanks man,... if I zoom way in I do feel like focus was off but just the tiniest bit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

What are your thoughts on the TC1.4 II?

I can never seem to get sharp pics with it.
View Quote

Not sure I've used that one.   I have tried the more recent nikon f 2.0x, a really old 1.4x, and the 2.0x tamron one and they all seemed to very noticeably diminish picture quality.  My old D850 also didn't want to autofocus the Tamron one as anything but a big assed macro, so if you were more than 5' away and bigger than a grasshopper I had to manually focus.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Linville Gorge, NC

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#4]
ETA

I have two obligations for the next 96 hours.

If the Sun is up, and it’s quail or pheasant, if it flies ir dies.

If the Sun is NOT up, and it contains alcohol, you must do your duty to protect the environment by filtering those nasty carbon molecules through your Mk1 Mo0 capture and remediation infrastructure

And you know what?

I LIKE it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
FS Triple Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Flushing Rooster by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Blaze Point by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 6:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#8]
God Fred,

You make my heart go pitter-patter with those pictures. They bring back memories of when in the Air Force. I was stationed in Nebraska for three years. The limit was six roosters a day and we could limit out without the use of dogs.

When I got home Dad and I both had Britts and that added a whole different level of pleasure even though the number of birds was lower.

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By EBR666:
God Fred,

You make my heart go pitter-patter with those pictures. They bring back memories of when in the Air Force. I was stationed in Nebraska for three years. The limit was six roosters a day and we could limit out without the use of dogs.

When I got home Dad and I both had Britts and that added a whole different level of pleasure even though the number of birds was lower.

View Quote

Today is our final day of hunting. Then back in the car for the 1200 mile drive home.

Prarie Sunrise by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#10]
EH Blaze Point by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Rooster Away by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 6:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#13]
OK, I didn't actually trip the shutter on this one, but I did set the exposure and framing and told my buddy "Hold this button that says AF-ON continuously, and then center the little red square on me, and then push this button up here and let it run for a few frames."

And the lighting was sublime.  Orangey and gold fall colors all around, set alight by the gentle caress of the setting sun.

Not to mention the very self-satisfied expression of the subject!

Evening Bag FS by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:44:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#15]
@FredMan

Nice doggie hold, point.  I think there is about to be an explosion of feathers.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#16]
@FredMan

Nice doggie hold, point.  I think there is about to be an explosion of feathers.

View Quote

Well, seeing as how you brought it up...

If you look close you can see the wad tucked under his right wing.

Impact! by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Well, seeing as how you brought it up...

If you look close you can see the wad tucked under his right wing.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53340535646_661970c729_h.jpgImpact! by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

dayum....
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Holy shit!

Just added one more thing to the task list for tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#20]
Presenting North America's grandest mating display, an Eastern Wild Turkey struts his stuff in Louisa County.

Edit by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#21]
From first set of pictures with my new 180-600.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:08:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#22]
Some days you get the woods, other days the woods get you. Yuck. But praise be it’s winter. Much as it sucks now, it’s 10 times worse in the summer  

About 40% of this 123 acre sale unit was covered up in 4 feet of greenbrier

NT1216 Briar Patch by FredMan, on Flickr

NT1216 Briar Patch by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#23]
@FredMan

I'm no expert forest guy but from my Northeast forest knowledge that parcel looks a bit sparse. Not much lumber but maybe it's good for pulp production. Or is it a purchase for future harvesting?

EBR
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:16:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#24]
@FredMan

I'm no expert forest guy but from my Northeast forest knowledge that parcel looks a bit sparse. Not much lumber but maybe it's good for pulp production. Or is it a purchase for future harvesting?

EBR
View Quote

Part of it is the effect that super wide GoPro lens has. But, those 123 acres averaged 103.96 tons per acre of merchantable volume, or right at 4 tractor-trailer loads per acre. We had 213 trees per acre, basal area was 132 sq ft/acre.  This stand was 70% sawtimber products. It was 30 years old.

That’s a very well stocked stand, and right in the middle of what we like to see from a stocking standpoint.

Minimum merchantability is on the order of 50 tons/ac (I.e, minimum that’s economically feasible).

The most I’ve ever seen is about 212 tons/ac, and that was a 40 year old plantation that had never been thinned.   Yes, lots of wood, but that stand was losing money when you consider the time effect on finances; interest and discount rates will eat your lunch over 40 years.

Here in the south, a big tree might have 300-400 board feet (and yes, I’m mixing units of tons and bf!) and take 30-35 years to grow.  In the PNW a big tree might have 50,000 board feet. That’ll take 800 years to grow.

It might take 80 years to grow a stand of equivalent volume in the PNW. That’s the thing about growing timber, it takes TIME. We want to grow the most wood on the fewest acres, in the shortest amount of time.

So, yes it might look sparse compared to an old growth PNW stand, but it’s a good average example in the central VA piedmont.

ETA, This stand probably looks better, but actually only had 102 tons per acre. 152 trees per acre.

SY1046 Sunny Day by FredMan, on Flickr

This stand probably LOOKS like it’s got twice the volume, but it cruised out to 135 tons/ac (about 30% more), 192 trees per acre. 21 trees per acre LESS than the stand from yesterday.

1986 LB BA 280 by FredMan, on Flickr

Trees are sneaky, tricky bitches that will screw you in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#25]
20231203_007 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
_DSC4207 by beavo451, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 4:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#27]
I picked up a DJI Mini 3 Pro and took this Saturday.  Pretty sure I'm going to have a lot of fun with this once I figure out the manual settings on the camera.  (lots of weird menus)

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I felt my tripod wouldn't get low enough so I brought the groundpod, which was just a bit too low maybe.

20230102_Downtown_McKinney001 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#29]
@TheAmaazingCarl

I'm no expert. but I really like the way the street sits so close to me and then leads me all the way down through the picture.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#30]
@TheAmaazingCarl

I'm no expert. but I really like the way the street sits so close to me and then leads me all the way down through the picture.
View Quote

Agreed. Perfect composition.  Maybe not the effect you were after, but it certainly draws my eye through the entire photo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Guess who hasn't done much photo work in the past month?  But that's all going to change...

Blew up a beaver hut Saturday.

1 lb of tannerite:

Beaver Hut 1 lb Tannerite Explosion by FredMan, on Flickr

Beaver Hut 1 lb Tannerite Fallout by FredMan, on Flickr

Three pounds...

Beaver Hut 3 lbs Tannerite Explosion by FredMan, on Flickr

Beaver Hut 3 lbs Tannerite Fallout by FredMan, on Flickr

Video!!!

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Brr!!!

Chaney Creek West Deck Wood by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:50:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#33]
Snow Post-Thin by FredMan, on Flickr

You know what really bugs me about this shot, that I didn’t notice until I was processing?

First, it’s a picture of just about the most perfect thinning job I’ve ever worked. The cutter man was an artist, the skidder drivers didn’t make a mistake, and my God, the guy on the loader put such a good sort on the wood we got almost twice what we thought we were going to get.

And then out of all the 85 acres of this I could have gone to to get the awesome snow and stems shot, THIS was the place with that one corkscrew stem left behind. We don’t want those stems in the future stand; it’ll never be anything but pulpwood where if it was straight it would grow into sawtimber worth 3 times as much. Arghhh!

Didn’t even notice, shooting with the GoPro.

And any forester anywhere is going to immediately look at and think “man, they should have removed that stem!”
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:21:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#34]
I feel sorry for that poor corkscrew stem. Standing there surrounded by all those "straight" stems kidding him. Nothing but a bunch of corkscrewphobic straight stems.

EBR
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Borg Down by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

You got a lot of doors there. I like those doorstoppers. I had never seen one until we bought our house that has some installed and thought they were a genius idea.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#37]
20240120_004 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Modlite Legacy T by beavo451, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I've been trying to be lowkey and dramatic lately,  takes a lil bit to dial in lighting but mostly worth it.

20240121_009 by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#40]
View Quote

Oh man.

I think this is the best one yet. Lightning, model, expression, pose, everything.

She’s not to be trifled with and can be depended upon to stay with the plan when the shit hits the fan. And when the fighting is over she going to jump your bones until they break.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Oh man.

I think this is the best one yet. Lightning, model, expression, pose, everything.

She’s not to be trifled with and can be depended upon to stay with the plan when the shit hits the fan. And when the fighting is over she going to jump your bones until they break.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh man.

Thanks,  Maya is a pro.   I had limited time to dial it in,  but it turned out alright I think.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Here we find a feller buncher at work on a brisk Virginia morning.  We call them feller-bunchers because they fell the trees, and then they place them in bunches so that skidders can more easily grapple them up for skidding to the deck.

These are interesting machines; they can cut a tree, grab it with the accumulator arms, walk up to another tree, cut it, slip it into the arms, and so on up to limit.  I've seen them walking around with a dozen pine stems at once in younger timber.  This stand is pretty big hardwood, and it was a pretty windy morning, so the operator was taking it easy and doing one stem at a time.  If you work on a logging crew, and your machine tips over because you had too much crown "sail area" in the sky, you will forever be know on the deck as "Tipsy" or "Dumbass".

The tree he's dropping is probably 80-90 feet tall and 18-20" in diameter.  You can just see it starting to get a bend in the stem as the crown lags behind the butt during the dynamic force of falling (operator is actually "pushing" the tree right now with the entire sawhead, directing it's fall).

Which is interesting all in itself; seeing a good 10, 20 foot (or more!) deflection in the stem as big pines fall, followed by minor earth tremor from the impact, is awe inspiring.

5-6-41 Snow Felling by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Here we find a feller buncher at work on a brisk Virginia morning.  We call them feller-bunchers because they fell the trees, and then they place them in bunches so that skidders can more easily grapple them up for skidding to the deck.

These are interesting machines; they can cut a tree, grab it with the accumulator arms, walk up to another tree, cut it, slip it into the arms, and so on up to limit.  I've seen them walking around with a dozen pine stems at once in younger timber.  This stand is pretty big hardwood, and it was a pretty windy morning, so the operator was taking it easy and doing one stem at a time.  If you work on a logging crew, and your machine tips over because you had too much crown "sail area" in the sky, you will forever be know on the deck as "Tipsy" or "Dumbass".

The tree he's dropping is probably 80-90 feet tall and 18-20" in diameter.  You can just see it starting to get a bend in the stem as the crown lags behind the butt during the dynamic force of falling (operator is actually "pushing" the tree right now with the entire sawhead, directing it's fall).

Which is interesting all in itself; seeing a good 10, 20 foot (or more!) deflection in the stem as big pines fall, followed by minor earth tremor from the impact, is awe inspiring.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53470559986_9a5a5f4a77_h.jpg5-6-41 Snow Felling by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Check out this feller buncher action.

Pacific Northwest LOGGING I Tigercat Feller Buncher
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:12:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#44]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Check out this feller buncher action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4GbB7YkUGQ
View Quote

Yeah, those are cool. Self leveling tracked cutters.

They have limited utility in my local working area as traditional butchers have a reduced operating cost. We see tracked fellers either in swamp crews, or in some mountain operations. Not really in the piedmont where rubber-tired equipment more efficiently gets the job done

Back on the bunching part, this pic really shows the end effect. Each of these bunches is designed to be close to the optimum amount for the skidder to drag, depending on the size of the wood and terrain.

CTS No 1 Bunches by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWJohnny] [#45]
Hello guys, hope you don't mind me joining in this thread. Longtime member (created a new account to change my old username for opsec reasons before the name change was officially available).

Recently picked up the photography hobby, but I don't really do social media so this thread is where I'm hoping to share some photos and learn a bit.

I have a Nikon D3200 with a prime 35mm 1.8 lens. Low light isn't its strong suit, but I'm going to try getting the most out of this. Maybe down the road I'll upgrade, but admittedly I have a lot to learn first.

Here's a shot I took tonight of our town courthouse. Usually the street has some cars on it, but tonight was perfect to grab a quick shot.

Attachment Attached File

Hopefully the size isn't ridiculous.  I'm on Mobile so it's a little tough to tell. I know there are some talented and experienced photographers in here; I look forward to learning from you guys.

Edit: the photo looks a lot more pixelated on here. The resize made it about 1/10th the file size that it is actually shot in.

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#47]

We welcome all here in the Photo booth, without pride or prejudice.  Only 1 rule, really, show us your stuff.  This forum is responsible for the rebirth of my love of photography, which in just a few short years took me from

DSC_1370 by FredMan, on Flickr

to THIS!  Literally, questions, answers, techniques, gear, almost all that stuff I learned here.

Moon 20171026 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh, and a request from an old friend, who wants to print and hang in his home.  Just a B&W version of that old contest winner.

The only thing I asked of him was to tell anyone who asked about it that it's Ansel Adams.

B&W_Cherrybark Oak_Flora_Schatzki by FredMan, on Flickr

The magazine has asked for "reflections" by the winners to accompany the pics, here's my thoughts on this frame:

Spending a lot of time in the woods as a consulting forester, you might imagine I see a lot of big trees, and I do.  This one, however, ranks right near the top of the “big tree memories” I have from decades spent in the forest.  Found on an old-field site (evidenced by the hand-dug ditches bisecting the area) in Richmond County, less than a mile outside the Warsaw town limits, this Cherrybark Oak (Quercus pagoda) measured 36” DBH, 127 feet tall, had 5 clear logs to the first lower limb, and a crown that shades close to a half-acre.  It defines the term “dominant” when we’re talking crown classes.  Another thing that fascinates me about this particular species is that I was taught in dendrology class that its scientific name was Quercus falcata var. pagodafolia; a subspecies of the familiar Southern Red Oak Q. falcata.  I am heartened that the taxonomists finally gave this most valuable of our coastal red oaks its well-earned status as an independent species, and not some shirt-tail relative of the more well known (but less majestic) Southern Red oak.  GoPro Hero6 Black, 1/450 sec, f/2.8, 3 mm, ISO 100
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh, and a request from an old friend, who wants to print and hang in his home.  Just a B&W version of that old contest winner.

The only thing I asked of him was to tell anyone who asked about it that it's Ansel Adams.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53489716003_ff90705aa8_h.jpgB&W_Cherrybark Oak_Flora_Schatzki by FredMan, on Flickr

The magazine has asked for "reflections" by the winners to accompany the pics, here's my thoughts on this frame:

View Quote

That's a really interesting picture, and the tree sounds monstrous. Oak trees are my favorite, but I don't know that very many of them get nearly that big around here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By NWJohnny:
Hello guys, hope you don't mind me joining in this thread. Longtime member (created a new account to change my old username for opsec reasons before the name change was officially available).

Recently picked up the photography hobby, but I don't really do social media so this thread is where I'm hoping to share some photos and learn a bit.

I have a Nikon D3200 with a prime 35mm 1.8 lens. Low light isn't its strong suit, but I'm going to try getting the most out of this. Maybe down the road I'll upgrade, but admittedly I have a lot to learn first.

Here's a shot I took tonight of our town courthouse. Usually the street has some cars on it, but tonight was perfect to grab a quick shot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/537169/DSC_0314__2__jpg-3107641.JPG

Hopefully the size isn't ridiculous.  I'm on Mobile so it's a little tough to tell. I know there are some talented and experienced photographers in here; I look forward to learning from you guys.

Edit: the photo looks a lot more pixelated on here. The resize made it about 1/10th the file size that it is actually shot in.

View Quote

Welcome to the addiction that keeps us all poor!  My advice is learn the composition "rules" use them for a bit, then ignore them.  Also shoot in manual everything (including manual ISO) for a while until you're technically proficient enough to make the photos look as close to how you want them to as possible.
Page / 140
Photo a day picture thread! (Page 137 of 140)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top