Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 2:45:21 AM EDT
Been shooting the hummingbirds at the feeder outside my window recently. Today I decided to see how they would react to my speedlights.  The first couple shot spooked them, but overall they didn't mind too much. I guess you are a little more tolerant to distractions when your metabolism requires you to eat every 15 minutes or you die

I shot for a couple hours and came up with a few decent shots, but really liked this one.

Had a very small softbox about 2 feet over head with a SB-900 and another naked SB-900 down and to the left for some rim light. Both fired by Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 system.

D4 200mm 1/1000 @ f/8 ISO 1250

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
That is really nice. Could you get the ISO down some at the expense of some aperture in order to get a photo with less noise? I think that looks great, but I would think that you could get the ISO down with the flash?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is really nice. Could you get the ISO down some at the expense of some aperture in order to get a photo with less noise? I think that looks great, but I would think that you could get the ISO down with the flash?
View Quote

I needed a larger plane of focus as the bird would move in and out quite a bit.... They are just too quick for AF against the back ground I was shooting.  I could have increased the power of my speedlights a bit more and dropped the ISO but I didn't want them pumping out too much light as I was concerned about blinding my little buddy/subject.  The D4 can handle 1250 just fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I needed a larger plane of focus as the bird would move in and out quite a bit.... They are just too quick for AF against the back ground I was shooting.  I could have increased the power of my speedlights a bit more and dropped the ISO but I didn't want them pumping out too much light as I was concerned about blinding my little buddy/subject.  The D4 can handle 1250 just fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I've gotten pretty lucky with some good shots of hummers using point and shoot jobs. This will be my first year with a nice camera so it'll be interesting to see how I can fair.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been thinking about setting up some lights. Glad to see that it doesn't freak them out too bad.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Amazing light!  That's magazine quality.  You should send it to Popular Photography.  Their contest people eat that stuff up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
A slightly different take on hummingbird pics

DSC_2934 by Zack, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top