Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 10:00:43 PM EDT
So I've been waiting for the new Canon T6 line to release and thought that would be what I purchase....had my mind made up.  Recently went to NAB and visited all the major camera manufacturers and was really impressed by the Sony A6000.  For me, this will mainly be a hobby camera for taking pics of the family, beach pics and landscape pics.  I was really impressed with the features of the A6000 and more importantly, it's size.  I won't be shooting anyones wedding photos or submitting pics to National Geographic.  Which one would you choose?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The a6000 is an amazing camera-especially for the price. Rumor is that a new version will be released very soon if you're willing to wait a bit.

My a6000 wearing old Contax glass:
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Canon. Wider array of aftermarket products for it. Sony makes a nice camera, I have a couple friends with them. Excellent photos and especially video. But Canon just does it better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
For just family and landscape I think you're going to be happier carrying the Sony around. Just think of a typical time you would want a camera for. which one would you rather be carrying?

The Sony is going to have better dynamic range on the landscapes as well.

The Canon excels if you want an optical viewfinder, want to do some basic sports shooting, or need the vast array of lenses Canon offers. If you're just going to use the kit lens and maybe a telephoto, no problems with the Sony.

Only you can make the call but I would lean towards Sony for what you described.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Between those two, and for the things you listed, I think I'd definitely go with the a6000. It has a great sensor, decent enough controls, and the EVF isn't bad as far as they go.

The lens selection isn't the greatest yet, but there are probably enough for what you want to do.

Just be careful at the beach. Sand and salt water spray are hell on cameras and lenses.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top