Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2015 12:07:37 PM EDT
She has a Nikon Coolpix P 500 and does nature photography.
She has many pics that would sell. The largest size she will get at Costco's is 11 by 14,
she says because of the pixels.

I think the camera is 12.2 mega pixels. Can she get larger size prints?

Opinions please.

Example:

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Without increasing the number of pixels, larger prints will start to look grainy and pixelated
Where is she wanting to sell these images?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without increasing the number of pixels, larger prints will start to look grainy and pixelatedWhere is she wanting to sell these images?
View Quote

Like on Etsy or Fine Art America.
Thanks for your response.
She has eyes on a new camera.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The details as to why get fairly complex, but the short answer is that she *may* be able to go larger, at least with some photos.

The detailed explanation is that is really depends on how much information was recorded.  Just because the sensor has 12  million pixels doesn't mean that it actually recorded 12 million useful bits of information.  Between pixel density and thermal noise, it's harder for smaller cameras to take full advantage of their sensors.  Not impossible, just harder.  Depending on how your wife's pics were shot, there may be enough useful detail to make bigger prints, there may not.  Also, not all types of photos (or art) are entirely dependent upon sharpness, some styles and subjects will lend themselves to low-resolution prints better than others.

I've made excellent 16x20s from 8mp images.  On the other hand, I could make a pretty lousy 5x7 with a 20mp image if I screwed up the shot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Great explanation by GlutealCleft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top