Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2015 9:53:04 PM EDT
I posted this over in GD first, but pictures of flowers and pretty things don't seem to get much interest there.

My fellow photo forum enthusiasts should get more of a kick out of this.

Here's the original posting, copied from GD.

I am gearing up to go on another overseas trip and I remembered that I haven't played around much with the close up / macro mode of my Nikon AW120 camera. It mainly serves as my dive camera, and I use it at work. But, it also has a nifty little macro feature.

Today we see what it can do. These pictures were taken in and around my mom's greenhouse.

Disclaimer: I don't know what most of this stuff is. I just wanted to see it up close and see what the camera can do.

DSCN2516 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2518 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2519 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2526 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2530 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2531 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2534 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2536 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2546 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2547 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2549 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2554 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSCN2560 by Zack3g, on Flickr

All in all, I say it did pretty well!

End original post.

And now for the photo forum question. What do ya'll say about it's abilities? Any thoughts on what else to try to see how well it performs? Worth dragging out the D7100 and kit and doing a side by side?

I know that pixel peepers will find artifacting and distortion upon close examination. It's a point and shoot.

Overall though, I say they came out damn good.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It is amazing how technology can overcome our faults.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Cameras are improving by leaps and bounds, this is true.

Pretty cool if you think about the capabilities of a modern camera.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are some similar, although not exact pictures taken with the D7100, using a nifty fifty on a 12mm extension tube.

DSC_6868 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSC_6870 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSC_6874 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSC_6875 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSC_6878 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSC_6881 by Zack3g, on Flickr

DSC_6887 by Zack3g, on Flickr

What did I learn from this?

Obviously, the D7100 takes higher quality pictures. The resolution, detail, color reproduction...all top notch. As we expected.

The surprising bit is the AW120 does respectably well for what it is. At "sized for web" resolutions, I can't really complain. Suitable for big prints? Perhaps not. But for what most people would do with a camera, I say the AW120 is pretty damn awesome.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're more likely to have the P'n'S with you then it's the better camera simply by virtue of getting used while the 7100 sits. That the macro image quality is adequate for your needs makes it the logical choice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you're more likely to have the P'n'S with you then it's the better camera simply by virtue of getting used while the 7100 sits. That the macro image quality is adequate for your needs makes it the logical choice.
View Quote

This is more for fun and experimentation than anything. I usually have the aw120 with me because it's also my work camera. But the d7100 is used for all the heavy lifting.

But I'm in agreement that the capability of the aw120 makes it seem suitable when the d7100 isn't available.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Nikon D5200, from what I can tell, the D7100 has buttons that does a function ASAP, rather than going through a menu.

Even cheap lenses today are way better than many of the expensive lenses 15-20 years ago because of computer and high refraction index glass and aspherical lenses surfaces. All of this stuff cost only hundreds of dollars today, whereas 20 years ago, such equipment was considered pro-grade.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way, way better than anything even 10 years ago. Newer rare-earth glass formulas and manufacturing techniques. Asperical lense surfaces are pretty common even on everyday lenses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top