Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 5:38:28 PM EDT
We've been having some really strange weather for January, but it sure has made some amazing sunsets over the last couple weeks... Nothing fancy just snapped these on the way home from work a couple times stopping at different parks.

I sure miss the 17-55mm f/2.8 I rented, it sure kicks the crap out of the kit 18-55mm for that range, I'll buy one when I get some free cash again. All pics taken with kit 18-55 f/4-5.6 STM or 50 f/1.8.

Full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128747433@N04/sets/72157650097256077/

Seattle from Kirkland, WA by MrZeat, on Flickr

Olympic Mtns from Kirkland, WA by MrZeat, on Flickr

Medina, WA by MrZeat, on Flickr

Mt Rainier from Medina, WA by MrZeat, on Flickr

Seattle from Medina, WA by MrZeat, on Flickr

Mt Rainier from Medina, WA by MrZeat, on Flickr

edit: wtf is up with arfcom converting url tags to email tags :|
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice stuff.

This one got some pretty positive comments a few years ago when I posted it here:

Someone photochopped it and cleaned it up a bit:

And amusingly, it was even painted by an artist friend of the family:

A few others:

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Mt. Rainier is so beautiful !

A couple of my favorites.

Dallas hail storm in 2012

Mammatus clouds over North Texas the night of the Moore tornado in 2013.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#3]
It sure is, I've grown up around that mountain and it still impresses me (although it sure looks bigger from where I grew up near Puyallup than it does up here). That first picture is really cool, I don't think I've ever seen a sky like that.

@Zack: is that Hawaii?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sure is, I've grown up around that mountain and it still impresses me (although it sure looks bigger from where I grew up near Puyallup than it does up here). That first picture is really cool, I don't think I've ever seen a sky like that.

@Zack: is that Hawaii?
View Quote

Philippines
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I sure love sunsets. Shame I'm working at night I never get to see them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Taken w/ DJI Phantom 2 Vision + from approximately 400 ft AGL and 5 miles from the Pacific Ocean in San Diego!

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Man that first shot of Ranier is gorgeous.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Sweet shots!  This is probably one of my favorites so far.   However, it saw a lot of PS to get to where it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Sharpen up the Wells Fargo logo and that could be an advertisement in a magazine
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's one I took way back in '03 in Iraq.  It was on a destroyed air base called Balad.  At the time, only helicopters could fly in and we slept overnight on the runway, which had a 2-storey deep crater about every 500ft. This is the Chinook we flew up in, then transferred to blackhawks the next day.  At night, the Apaches would fly over, but the bugs were so big at one point sleeping in my cot I couldn't tell which was which.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]

all of these are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

here is the opposite, a sunrise on my Note2. I wish I had my DLSR with me.

Dawn at DFW by cbarzyz, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's one I took way back in '03 in Iraq.  It was on a destroyed air base called Balad.  At the time, only helicopters could fly in and we slept overnight on the runway, which had a 2-storey deep crater about every 500ft. This is the Chinook we flew up in, then transferred to blackhawks the next day.  At night, the Apaches would fly over, but the bugs were so big at one point sleeping in my cot I couldn't tell which was which.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p168/gobdav/BaladSunset01.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:15:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I like to use the setting sun as a backdrop!

But I've also taken a few without people.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Heres some sunrises.

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Great shots everyone. My sunset shots have never quite turned out. Any tips on how you guys are shooting them?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great shots everyone. My sunset shots have never quite turned out. Any tips on how you guys are shooting them?
View Quote

I meter off the brightest spot to get an idea of the exposure, then stop it down another notch or two to enhance the contrast between light and dark bits.

More or less. Depends on what I'm trying to do, really.

Sometimes I'll matrix meter the overall sky, then stop down a bit to do a silhouette.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]
You must be close to me, I recognize some of those spots in Kirkland. Nicely done.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

The majority of the shots I took were shot in RAW, a fairly low ISO, no higher than 400, most were 100 or 200 in Manual mode metering like said above on brighter areas of the image. Usually using F/8 or so  depending on the lens and changing the shutter speed to get the desired exposure. Having a camera with a half decent display can help you get an idea of where you're at with your exposure, the viewfinder and light meter don't always tell the whole story.

More sunshine this week, weather around 60 all week and sunny in February with nothing more than a couple light showers in the forecast . Strange.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top