Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 3:50:21 PM EDT
Any recommendations?  Was looking at the gopro 3+ black edition but was hoping for something a bit less expensive. It lists the gopro as an action camera which to me translates to fast-paced movement. I was looking more towards stationary movies. Firearms reviews and demonstrations
Definitely want good solid quality and sound but wondering if the gopro would be over the top.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Good quality sound = external microphone.

A good alternative is a solid point-and-shoot camera with decent movie ability. A lot of the hiking videos do something similar. Check out Shug Emery's youtube page, he makes tons of outdoor videos. That being said, you definitely reach a point where you need to make a decision about spending a good piece of coin on a real video rig, be in a actual video camera, DSLR video, etc. In my opinion, until you're going that direction, a small point-and-shoot will be the best compromise of quality, usability, and cost.

Things like GoPro, Contour, and Sony Action Cam are specifically designed for action shooting and don't do nearly as well for what you're looking to do. They make great gun cams, great helmet cams, etc., but not as good for sticking on a tripod and narrating.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say that a better bet would be to get a Canon T3i or T5i with a tripod.  That's a DSLR that will shoot really good video.

You will need a good mic.  I suggest a Rode Videomic.  It's a shotgun mic that works well with any DSLR.

Another route would be to get a Zoom H1n or H4n.  These are digital mics/recorders that can not only patch right into your camera as a mic to capture sound or you can capture sound separately and sync the sound in post.  Either device will accept body mics (via 3.5mm).  The H4n will even take 2 XLR cables.

I have all three setups and use them all with my film classes and YouTube broadcasts.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
While I agree that a DSLR is a great choice for great looking video, their audio is terrible.  Even with a external mic, there is so little control and the camera is just not good at dealing with audio.  Using a external recorder like a H4N is a great option to get good sound, BUT you have to sync it in post, plus know how to set up the recorder so that your audio does not drift out of syn with your video even after you sync it up at the start of the clip.  The other downside to DSLR is that it is not nearly as easy to use so someone that is not really into video.  Just buy a nice little Sony or Canon video camera.  Their on camera mics are way better than what is on a DSLR, although a external recorder or lavaliere mic is a better option.  They shoot decent video when on auto, and in good light.  The problem you might have is keeping it cheap.  You might be able to find a little bit older camera under your budget, but getting editing software and external mics would put you over the top.  I say start with buying a video camera and start shooting with it.  If you like what you are doing and want it to look and sound better, you can slowly start buying other stuff.

I too do not think that a GoPro or other action cam is going to be what you want.  Those are best served as a POV camera, or to put somewhere that you like the extra protection that the waterproof case provides.  But there is no view finder (you can use WiFi to view on your phone but it eats battery even faster), their sound is Terrible.  Not a good primary camera.

Phil
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Phil,

You don't have to sync the audio in post with a Zoom if you patch the zoom directly into the camera and use it like an external mic.  If you have long enough cables, you can place the Zoom just out of frame.  You can also mount the Zoom right on the shoe.  I use both setups quite a bit.  

Some will complain that if you do that, you can't monitor the sound while shooting.  There are cables that provide that opportunity, but you can just get a Y splitter (male to 2 female) and a male to male 3.5mm cable (3' or longer).  That way you can patch the male adapter into the zoom (headphone out), headphones into one female outlet and the male to male cable will be used to connect the other female outlet to the camera mic outlet.

The moments I record solely on the Zoom or Tascam are very few.  That is, unless I use them for ambient sound, Foley recording, or voice over work.  Most of the time, these devices are connected to the camera.

I will admit, that once you get an entry level DSLR and an additional mic setup, you could purchase a half decent camcorder.  I just like the flexibility and larger sensors that DSLR cameras provide.  Also, buying a camcorder does not guarantee that you will get good sound recording.

Phil did raise the expense of editing software.  That's a whole other set of expenses and options!

Just my humble opinion...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey Phil,

You don't have to sync the audio in post with a Zoom if you patch the zoom directly into the camera and use it like an external mic.  If you have long enough cables, you can place the Zoom just out of frame.  You can also mount the Zoom right on the shoe.  I use both setups quite a bit.  

Some will complain that if you do that, you can't monitor the sound while shooting.  There are cables that provide that opportunity, but you can just get a Y splitter (male to 2 female) and a male to male 3.5mm cable (3' or longer).  That way you can patch the male adapter into the zoom (headphone out), headphones into one female outlet and the male to male cable will be used to connect the other female outlet to the camera mic outlet.

The moments I record solely on the Zoom or Tascam are very few.  That is, unless I use them for ambient sound, Foley recording, or voice over work.  Most of the time, these devices are connected to the camera.

I will admit, that once you get an entry level DSLR and an additional mic setup, you could purchase a half decent camcorder.  I just like the flexibility and larger sensors that DSLR cameras provide.  Also, buying a camcorder does not guarantee that you will get good sound recording.

Phil did raise the expense of editing software.  That's a whole other set of expenses and options!

Just my humble opinion...
View Quote

I totally agree that you can route audio through your audio recorder and into the DSLR, and I do not like the fact that it cannot be monitored from the camera its self.  There is a difference (or can be) between audio going into a device and audio coming out.  I maintain that DSLR's (so far anyway) just do not have enough internal software and hardware to handle audio properly.  I will sometimes send the audio to a DSLR just to make syncing easier in post.  I very seldomly actually use it though.  A audio recorder, or a professional video camera handles audio WAY better than a DSLR does.  There is no argument from me that a DSLR can get good video, the only reason I do not think it is the best for the OP, is because there is a much steeper learning curve to using them properly.  Plus, as I am sure you fully well know, one lens at the start of the game seems like it will do all you want.  Then next thing you know you are needing a new lens for this, or new lens for that.  Not that it is a bad thing, just again not what I think would suit the OP's needs.  

I also totally agree that a consumer video camera (even a cheepie like this) will get better natural audio than a DSLR.  Their video will be pretty good also.  Certainly not as good as a DSLR, especially in low light.  BUT, I think that most of the general casual users could get much more out of them.  They are easier to shoot with as far as zooming, focus, and panning.  Especially if shooting hand held.  Put both cameras on a tripod and they get a little closer to equal, especially with newer DSLR's.  I really like the STM lens for Canon as far as video shooting and auto focus goes.

Me personally, if I had the choice between a consumer camera and a DSLR, I would take the DSLR.  However for a newer shooter, that is looking at just getting started in video.  I think a decent consumer camera will get you up and running faster, with better results.  

I work in Video Production professionally and at home I have a 6 year old Canon Vixia AVCHD camera, and a Canon 70D.  My wife will use the video camera 100% of the time to shoot video of our kids.  Even when we loaned out our video camera to a friend, she just felt uncomfortable trying to figure out the 70D (not that everyone is as technically challenged as my wife).  Even me personally, when I am shooting video of the kids I probably grab the Vixia 95% of the time.  Especially when all three of them are running around different directions.  It is simply easier to use to capture those types of shots.  Obviously that is a little different than something that you have some time to dedicate to getting the camera and subjects set how you want, or just having a better plan that trying to chase 3 kids, 6 and under.

I think we both agree to stay away from the GoPro.  At least for right now.  Just far to many limitations with them as a single, main camera.  

Video Production is a Fun, Easy, Challenging, Pain In The Ass hobby.  That can be both fun and frustrating as hell all at the same time.

Once you start, you need to keep this one thing in mind.  No projects are ever finished, they are just abandoned at some point.  You can always just do one more thing, but at some point you just have to stop ;).

Good luck in what ever your decision is.  Once you start getting some equipment, come back and let us know what you got.  Ask for help...

Phil
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely Phil.  I agree with you and the points you have made.  Many will be intimidated by DSLR cameras that aren't familiar with them. Also, you will need some fixes when dealing with DSLR audio.  That could push newcomers away or discourage them potentially.

It's great having these conversations by those that really enjoy this subject and related work.  Whatever you choose OP, make sure you post up your setup, and some vids!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Pricier option: Nikon D3200 with their external mike. Or future proof yourself and get a DSLR with 4k video capabilities. This may entice people with 4k tvs to check out your channel just to enjoy the horsepower of their tvs that have very little 4k content.

Upgrade the lens and you can capture very high quality video.

Less expensive option: get an inexpensive camcorder  and an external mike. You can often dig into the menus and get good video that way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]
What part of wanting something less expensive and better suited than a GoPro translates to DSLR video with an external microphone package?

OP, like I said, get a cheap point-and-shoot (camera that does video or camcorder) until you figure out exactly what you want to do with it BEFORE you go spending real money.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What part of wanting something less expensive and better suited than a GoPro translates to DSLR video with an external microphone package?

OP, like I said, get a cheap point-and-shoot (camera that does video or camcorder) until you figure out exactly what you want to do with it BEFORE you go spending real money.
View Quote

The OP stating he wants "good solid quality and sound" may have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The OP stating he wants "good solid quality and sound" may have something to do with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you chose to ignore the part about wanting something less expensive than a GoPro?

Look, we all like toys, but I'm not going to recommend a 1Dx and some L glass to my grandmother when she just wants to take pictures of her quilting circle. In the same manner I'm not going to suggest someone spending the cash for 4K video when really all he wants to do is make YouTube videos.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you chose to ignore the part about wanting something less expensive than a GoPro?

Look, we all like toys, but I'm not going to recommend a 1Dx and some L glass to my grandmother when she just wants to take pictures of her quilting circle. In the same manner I'm not going to suggest someone spending the cash for 4K video when really all he wants to do is make YouTube videos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gopro4 ranges from $399 to $499

Canon T3i can be found around $450.  Add a new H1n and you have a great image and sound package for under $550.  Replace new H1n with refurbished and you are looking at $500 which is the exact same price as a new Gopro4 Black package found on the first Google hit.

That was not even looking beyond the first Google hit for each product.

Good luck getting good audio and even video images from a point and shoot.  That just won't happen.

T3i would offer superior flexibility and performance for what he wants.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noted in my post that the dslr option was 1: more expensive (but not by much) and 2: an effort by me to help the OP future proof himself, with the added bonus of possibly driving traffic to his Youtube channel by offering 4k content to people who want to show off their 4k tvs?

I've learned over the years thay sometimes budgets are determined by a random number, and when people find out that for not much more money, they can get a camera that will work well now as well as into the future, in multiple roles, which only adds to its versatility?

Lastly, wouldn't we be remiss if we - who the OP asked opinions of - didn't offer up these options?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Any recommendations?  Was looking at the gopro 3+ black edition but was hoping for something a bit less expensive. It lists the gopro as an action camera which to me translates to fast-paced movement. I was looking more towards stationary movies. Firearms reviews and demonstrations

Definitely want good solid quality and sound but wondering if the gopro would be over the top.
View Quote
When you say "outdoors", are you also referring to hiking and such?  Sometimes something with 30x optical zoom comes in handy.  Jpeg screen shot from my 1080 (will have to double check that I had it on that setting) camcorder.  4k would have been nice.  While I also have a go-pro, I would say that's not what you're looking for.  Water-proof cases are available though for some cameras if rain is possibly an issue for you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top