Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2014 10:24:17 AM EDT
Having been a Pentax guy for a long time, thinking about jumping ship, mostly since Canon (and Nikon for that matter) offer so much more higher end choices in lens.

Anyway, would like to keep the body around $1000.   Don't need "cutting edge" technology.........flip out rear screens, wifi, or all that other stuff.   Simply want a dslr that takes nice still pics and is of high quality.    Last year's models would be perfectly fine.

Sooooooooo...........for around $1000, and last year's models fine, what do u suggest?    Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly are your prime needs?  Just lens choices?  What kind of photography do you enjoy the most?  Some bodies will be better at high-speed sports/wildlife stuff and others will be better for landscape/portrait/big images stuff.  

Honestly, on the cameras tailored to subjects other than sports/wildlife, I haven't been impressed with anything that's been put out since the 5D mkII.  I bet you could find a deal for one of those these days.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Having been a Pentax guy for a long time, thinking about jumping ship, mostly since Canon (and Nikon for that matter) offer so much more higher end choices in lens.

Anyway, would like to keep the body around $1000.   Don't need "cutting edge" technology.........flip out rear screens, wifi, or all that other stuff.   Simply want a dslr that takes nice still pics and is of high quality.    Last year's models would be perfectly fine.

Sooooooooo...........for around $1000, and last year's models fine, what do u suggest?    Thanks.

View Quote

Nikon D5200/D5300

Canon 60D
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my 70d.   It was around $1000 for the body.
Even includes wifi, off camera flash triggering, in camera HDR (limited capabilities) and double exposures.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Also consider MFT. I went there, from Cannon, and couldn't be happier. Lots of great lenses with promise that rivaled my SLR format system. About half the cost, size, and weight. Not as much lens variety as the other systems, but way more than what I need.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What exactly are your prime needs?  Just lens choices?  What kind of photography do you enjoy the most?  Some bodies will be better at high-speed sports/wildlife stuff and others will be better for landscape/portrait/big images stuff.  

Honestly, on the cameras tailored to subjects other than sports/wildlife, I haven't been impressed with anything that's been put out since the 5D mkII.  I bet you could find a deal for one of those these days.
View Quote

I like low light, fast action/poor lighting activities..............football, basketball, etc.   I enjoy my Pentax stuff, but the lens selection isn't all that great.   Canon and Nikon, the sky (and your wallet) are the limit.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like low light, fast action/poor lighting activities..............football, basketball, etc.   I enjoy my Pentax stuff, but the lens selection isn't all that great.   Canon and Nikon, the sky (and your wallet) are the limit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F*ck it, get the 1Dx Those are the activities that it excels at, that and the Nikon D4s.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

F*ck it, get the 1Dx Those are the activities that it excels at, that and the Nikon D4s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$6800?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       lol
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, it'll do what you want......

It's pretty silly, even for most pros. I snagged one with less than 10,000 clicks for under 4 grand, but those are few and far between.

Probably still over your budget even if you stretch it, but you might be able to find a good deal on a used 5Diii, and the 7Dii is getting excellent reviews. The AF system is very slick in both, borrowing heavily from the 1Dx. For low light and fast action they really excel. However, they are above your original budget.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
T1i. works too.    You could proably pick one up for $100 on ebay    

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Canon 60D, and it's a great camera. But I don't like carrying it around sometimes, I just want a smaller point and shoot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell Im still rocking a 30D, have you considered getting an older body and a couple of L lenses?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top