Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 12:26:41 PM EDT

Anyone else out there like using some of the older classic gear?  I do - especially when it can be combined with current tech.  
If anyone else here has a copy of this lens, or has used one, if you want to share please feel free to add to the thread.  If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Edit - open thread for the classic Nikon gear for anyone interested in discussion, or just posting some shots.

Disclaimer
– I am a hobbyist.  I shoot mainly as a means of relaxation /
enjoyment, and as a means to record some of where I've been and what
I've done.  I'm not a trained photographer by any means, and struggle
especially with the creative aspects of photography.  So please,
understand that faults with the images are probably mine and not the
gear.  Link to my gallery where you can see other images, and slightly larger versions of this thread's images, if you so choose.

This
lens is in the last revision of Nikon's manual focus 200/2 lenses.
Sometime around 1986, Nikon updated the previous version with
slightly different cosmetics, a built-in 122mm UV/ protection filter,
and a drop-in gelatin filter holder. The built-in hood was screwed
down so tight, I had originally thought they had done away with them.
I was able to break it loose and it works fine.

I
stumbled across this lens back in early 2012 IIRC.  I purchased this
at a price I felt was too good to pass up considering the
condition of the lens.  It came with the CT-200 hard-side travel case
and strap, rear lens cap, soft front lens cover, lens strap, and HE-4
lens hood extension.  The previous owner(s) have taken care of this
lens. The optics appear to be without issue, and the body only has a
few spots with very small amounts of wear visible.  The case
shows definite signs of usage - discolorations, scratches and
pitting.

This
thing has been an absolute joy to use, even considering the weight.
Unfortunately for me, existing bio-mechanical issues have made
lugging and using this size gear seriously problematic, and I made
the decision to let the lens go.  If at some future point surgery
repairs my issues and I'm still shooting FF gear, I'd love to get the
modern AF version.

A couple of shots showing the lens mounted on a D700, with and without the hood extension.

And a couple of shots with the lens and TC-201 attached, with the lens hood extended and hood extension installed.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Wide open at f/2, this lens is already sharp if you nail focus. Which can be difficult due to the narrow DOF.  I have many shots where the AF indicator was "green", but focus was off just ever so slightly. Usually on a monopod or handheld, so probably due to slight movement of the gear by me. Less issues on a tripod. My copy exhibited noticeable color fringing in strong backlight, and dropped dramatically stopping down up to one stop.
An early attempt at some auto photography.  D700, 1/400s, f/2, iso200, on a monopod.

D700, 1/6400s, f/2, iso100, handheld.

Even bokeh-monsters like this can have issues with busy backgrounds.  D700, 1/4000s, f/2, iso100, handheld.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Stopped down between one and two stops gave slightly improved sharpness, and better resistance to color fringing.

Another, later, lame attempt at some automotive photography.  D700, 1/1250s, f/2.8, iso200, tripod, remote.

Shot just past min focus distance (approximately 8 feet), windy day.  D700, 1/400s, f/5.6, iso200, tripod, remote.  Back edge of the furthest petal is slightly OOF, f/8 would have been better for this shot.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The lens plays nicely with the TC-201 2x tele-converter.
D700, with TC-201, 1/400s, f/8 at 400mm, iso200, on a monopod.

D700, with TC-102, 1/125s, f/8 at 400mm, iso200, monopod.  This dove landed on the old clothesline frame and I had enough time to pivot and try to focus while squeezing off two frames before it flew off.  Got lucky with catching this one in focus.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
ooooooh jealousy!

I'm a huge fan of the classics!  These are the usual suspects that I play with 99% of the time.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ooooooh jealousy!

View Quote

I'm a huge fan of the classics!  These are the usual suspects that I play with 99% of the time.

Mmm... that 50/1.2 and 105/2.5  

Have any shots with that on/ images from some modern gear?

A 200/2 was a bucket item for me.  It's been a blast using it.  Wish I could still carry one and afford the latest AF version.
The older gear is just more enjoyable to use, for me anyways.  (Not saying the new stuff isn't good/ better.)  Funny thing - as I'm down-sizing my stuff, I find myself using adapted m-mount glass on the Fuji.  Haven't had one of the XF lenses on the X-T1 in several months now, and they are wonderful optics.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I just came in to say that I hate you for owning a 200mm F2.0. My unicorn lens.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Nikon ai 50mm f1.4 that I use on a canon T4i. Mostly for filming, but it never ceases to amaze me.

Kinda glad I got it over a canon 50mm 1.8
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been terrible with tagging photos.  These are 2-5 years old.

105mm f/ 4'ish.

105mm

50mm in the F/8 range

50mm f/1.2 wide open

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Nikon ai 50mm f1.4 that I use on a canon T4i. Mostly for filming, but it never ceases to amaze me.

Kinda glad I got it over a canon 50mm 1.8

I don't do video with a stills camera, but I've heard a few others express a preference for some of the Ai/ Ai-S lenses over their FD counterparts.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've been terrible with tagging photos.  These are 2-5 years old.

View Quote
<snip>

Very nice - love the first shot.  My reflexes have slowed enough I can't really capture any action with manual focus any more.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Mines just a little newer.

Nothing quite like it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Mines just a little newer.

Nothing quite like it.
View Quote

Nice.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#13]
The manual focus is a pain sometimes, but I love my old 35/1.4 Ai-S Nikkor. I need to get some AF primes, but I currently own a 58/1.4 Voigtlander Nokton (a superb lens), 85/1.5 Helios 40-2, and a Tamron 90/ 2.5. I've also got access to a 55/2.8 Micro--Nikkor in the camera bag I use at work. The 200/2 is a legend, and very flexible if you use a teleconverter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The manual focus is a pain sometimes, but I love my old 35/1.4 Ai-S Nikkor. I need to get some AF primes, but I currently own a 58/1.4 Voigtlander Nokton (a superb lens), 85/1.5 Helios 40-2, and a Tamron 90/ 2.5. I've also got access to a 55/2.8 Micro--Nikkor in the camera bag I use at work. The 200/2 is a legend, and very flexible if you use a teleconverter.
View Quote

I've had the CV 58/1.4, and I really enjoyed the lens - just not having much success these days with manual focus.  (Although, the EVF on the Fuji X-T1 is making it doable again, for me anyways.)  Never used any of the others, I understand the 55 micro is another one of the gems.  Feel free to toss in some examples if you'd like.  My copy of the 200/2 worked about as flawlessly as you could expect/ hope for with the TC-201 (2x).

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
A split prism focus screen helps a lot.  Takes a little while to get things adjusted so that it's zero'd, but damn it's nice.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:50:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a shot with the Helios 85/1.5.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A split prism focus screen helps a lot.  Takes a little while to get things adjusted so that it's zero'd, but damn it's nice.
View Quote

I had minimal problems back with manual-focus film cameras - I wish manufacturers would take the time to get them set up right to start with.  I guess not enough people use mf these days.

I'm shifting to smaller lighter gear due to some shoulder and back issues.  Currently using m-mount glass on the Fuji.  Small, feels wonderful, quite a bit lighter than the full-size Nikon and lenses.  Still use the Nikon for things that I need reach or better AF performance than Fuji currently offers.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Cool - how do you find its OOF rendering in busy backgrounds?  Still as smooth or does it get a bit "jumpy"?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top