Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2014 10:52:08 AM EDT
OK, so I broke down on picked up the Nikor 105mm VR Micro lens. When I look into macro lighting I get the usual photography sticker shock. I'm just trying out and playing with macro and I've already thrown in $800 for the lens, does anyone have any experience with the cheap ring lights (<$150)? I take good care of my gear so durability is not a major concern. Would like it to do constant on as well as strobe, but photography is obviously the priority. Thanks!

ETA- to fix stupid auto correct.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you more interested in the flash/strobe variety or steady light? I have inexpensive versions of each, and they seem to work ok. The last one I got was a Polaroid branded flash unit, based on 48 leds around the lens. Cost about $55 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want really cheap check out strobist.com for their DIY on ring lights.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the YONGNUO Macro Flash YN-14EX. I have thousand of dollars in photo equipment and can safely say, it's the best $100+/- I've spent. This thing is as good IMO as the $800 Canon version.
I just got it recently and shot these shots with it:
Wolf Spider

Panther Ant

Jumping Spider

JP
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out the YONGNUO Macro Flash YN-14EX. I have thousand of dollars in photo equipment and can safely say, it's the best $100+/- I've spent. This thing is as good IMO as the $800 Canon version.

JP
View Quote

Looks pretty good for $116.00

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Well after getting giddy over the positive reviews, the bummer balloon went up. It seems I can only find it for Cannon. I notice in my original post that my stupid auto correct changed the word Nikor so sorry for any confusion. Is this available for Nikon?

ETA- love the jumping spider shot!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are willing to use it in manual mode, that yongnuo ring flash should still fire when you release the shutter, you just won't have the Evaluative metering feature available to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top