Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:43:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pita_146:
Was that an F-16 I saw?
View Quote
Yeah. Its been known for a while block 50 iirc. I wouldnt bank on it next year tho.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

ED makes great promo vids for sure... Never mind half the planes are arcade mode, the other half are various states of incomplete or broken. And for any of it to look even remotely like the vid you need an i9 with sli 2080ti's...

I hope the viper is even remotely as decently modled as the BMS ones. Im sure itl look prettier but....
View Quote
Pretty much my thoughts as well.  If BMS gets VR going in Falcon I'll go back to it.  It just turned 20 years old this week too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Yeah. Its been known for a while block 50 iirc. I wouldnt bank on it next year tho.
View Quote
To Be honest all the work developed for the apg-68 for the hornet can be recycled into the apg-65

I'll say we might see the viper at the end of 2019
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Sixpack595:
Do you have first hand experience with the track clip vs the pro?  I've been using the clip for a few years and never had an issue, but I have it mounted to my favorite hat that was unwillingly retired by the GF a few years ago.

I know a lot of guys use the PS camera and one of the free solutions.  They seem to work as well as TrackIR if a bit more work.  Of course they are also massively cheaper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sixpack595:
Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:
Honestly, compared to the other items I have purchased between the Warthog, rudders, MDF's, monitors, cables, adapters, hubs...  The $150 or so I spent on the TrackIR Pro was a drop in the bucket.

Well worth the investment.   Get the pro model for the few dollars more.   The Pro tracker unit attaches to your headset.  Dont even realize you have it on, it is more accurate and seems to have a wider range of coverage.
Do you have first hand experience with the track clip vs the pro?  I've been using the clip for a few years and never had an issue, but I have it mounted to my favorite hat that was unwillingly retired by the GF a few years ago.

I know a lot of guys use the PS camera and one of the free solutions.  They seem to work as well as TrackIR if a bit more work.  Of course they are also massively cheaper.
@Sixpack595

Yes, the Pro comes with both the clip and the pro clip.   I tried the clip for a bit and it worked fine with no issues...  Then I put the Pro on my headset and have not looked back.

It is a few dollars more, but I think in the end it is a good investment.  It does seem to track a little better as it uses IR leds on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]

@Sixpack595

Yes, the Pro comes with both the clip and the pro clip.   I tried the clip for a bit and it worked fine with no issues...  Then I put the Pro on my headset and have not looked back.

It is a few dollars more, but I think in the end it is a good investment.  It does seem to track a little better as it uses IR leds on it.
View Quote
I'm going to try tweaking my profile some more. I went from a 28" to 43" monitor and kind of half assed some settings without ever really getting them dialed in in the first place. If I still have issues, I'll definitely try it. The only time I lose tracking is whan I'm gooling way off to the side and I'm looking too far as it is.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
most headsets are too thick for the pro. mine came with a pro and i havent used it yet because i dont want to duct tape it to my headset.
View Quote
3m double sided stick strips.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:

Pretty much my thoughts as well.  If BMS gets VR going in Falcon I'll go back to it.  It just turned 20 years old this week too.
View Quote
I have an original CD from 98... i have been vaguely into it, but compared to DCS its not as pretty, though better in pretty much every other way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Was that an F-16 I saw?
I don't have DCS, so haven't followed development.  I follow video's on youtube so I see when things are approaching release (Tomcat) but nothing else.

I'm gunna have to spend a lot of money if they keep releasing the fighters of my childhood dreams.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have DCS, so haven't followed development.  I follow video's on youtube so I see when things are approaching release (Tomcat) but nothing else.

I'm gunna have to spend a lot of money if they keep releasing the fighters of my childhood dreams.
View Quote
Dont worry, they will release them half finished and fuck em up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#12]
So Im working on making a thing!

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:48:55 AM EDT
[#13]
The ARFCOM roundel.  Brilliant.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Not sure why this model has numbers all over it...  Still trying to get used to the models, maps and things...
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Those are the side numbers.  They get added to the jet based on what's in the mission editor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#16]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/112200/Capture_JPG-779743.jpg
View Quote
I like it.

Squadron name on centerline tank? “Black Rifles”?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m thinking about picking up one of the warbirds. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:
View Quote
www.il2sturmovik.com
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
The 109k is really hard to fly. The TF51 not so much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sfljohn] [#20]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/112200/Capture_JPG-779743.jpg
View Quote
nice, the group i play with made a few skins for different planes

we have desert and woodland variants of the black for the a10 and 18, 15, and ka50, and some variants of it for the harrier. friend is working on making them for some other planes too
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Those are pretty sharp.

Im in process right now of trying to figure out what controls would be best to keep on the throttle and what should be moved over to a button box that I am building...
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Those are pretty sharp.

Im in process right now of trying to figure out what controls would be best to keep on the throttle and what should be moved over to a button box that I am building...
View Quote
Well the 2 schools of thought on that are the one size fits all school wherr you have a standard profile for everything. And the realism school where you map the stick and throttle as realistically to the plane as you can. I use the 2nd.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Well the 2 schools of thought on that are the one size fits all school wherr you have a standard profile for everything. And the realism school where you map the stick and throttle as realistically to the plane as you can. I use the 2nd.
View Quote
I do school one.  My HOTAS doesn't match all of the aircrafts anyways so I may as well make it easier for me.  My radios/TeamSpeak are always on the mic switch.  My speedbrake and countermeasures are also standardized.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:21:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sfljohn] [#24]
i use the chucks guide recommended maps and add my own stuff to the spare switches on my warthog

also, landed the f5 on stennis last night, took back off after having to repair 3 times bc i hit an invisible edge on the stern starboard elevator and took off my gear

https://vimeo.com/307818706
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeyIsaacs] [#25]
Well damn.  Having 2 issues.

1. Have not been able to successfully get into multiplayer mode.   I can get to the SET ROLE screen, click on a plane, but it will not highlight it to show it as selected.   I click on BRIEFING, but it puts me back in as a spectator.

2. Tried to setup to run all monitors and mfd displays...

Here is my LUA file contents for the F/A-18C

--Virtual cockpit server for DCS
--\Config\MonitorSetup
--Monitor setup file

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('FA18CScreen');
Description = 'Cockpit, left and right MPCDs'
Viewports =
{

Center =
{

x = 0.0;

y = 0.0;

width = 5760;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 5.333333333333333;
}
}
LEFT_MFCD =
{

x = 2885.0;

y = 1105.0;

width = 656;

height = 656;
}
RIGHT_MFCD =
{

x = 4927.0;

y = 1105.0;

width = 660;

height = 660;
}
CENTER_MFCD =
{

x = 3906.0;

y = 1107.0;

width = 660;

height = 660;
}
UIMainView = Viewports.Center

This is what I get though...  Cant access any of the config screens to press OK to proceed on.   I need to get the main gui onto the center, main display...   UGH!  Any ideas?

Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sfljohn:
i use the chucks guide recommended maps and add my own stuff to the spare switches on my warthog

also, landed the f5 on stennis last night, took back off after having to repair 3 times bc i hit an invisible edge on tjoohe stern starboard elevator and took off my gear

https://vimeo.com/307818706
View Quote
Id rather see the landing. Does the f5 have a hook?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I added this to the end of the lua and it seems to be working now...   Loading up to see.

--UIMainView = Viewports.Center

GUI=
{
x = 1920;
y = 0;
width = 1920;
height = 1080;
}

UIMainView = GUI
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#28]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I do school one.  My HOTAS doesn't match all of the aircrafts anyways so I may as well make it easier for me.  My radios/TeamSpeak are always on the mic switch.  My speedbrake and countermeasures are also standardized.
View Quote
I do standardize things, i.e. if its on the real hotas its on mine i.e. brakes are the same switch etc... Then i usually have shift functions for various other stuff like zoom and dcs radio.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Id rather see the landing. Does the f5 have a hook?
View Quote
It does; red button near the gear lever IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone else's IR Mavericks doing weird things in the F-18? I try slew over targets and sometimes it moves, sometimes it doesn't, other times after I release the TDC button it keeps moving, and sometimes it doesn't even slew in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Well Ive got the screen issue fixed...  Was jumping into instant action and was going to practice refueling in the F-18 over the persian gulf map.

Launch the mission, seems to be launching correctly, but then it displays the A-10 and loads up that plane instead of the F-18.

Damn crazy configurations.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

it took me a while to semi figure them out. first thing i learned is your tdc has to have a depress function. so depress AND slew. make sure you have the ddi active with the diamond in the camera window. the keyboard buttons enter + ,./; (kind of like asdf) will slew it also

i still really struggle with them because I have trouble locating the targets against the green backdrop. what ive been doing lately , for bombing anyways, is using the map and switching to camera mode, finding the rough location of targets at where i want to bomb, the input those as a waypoint and use waypoint designate to make it a target then you can switch out of auto to ccip when you get close. the coordinates ive found aren't accurate enough to just bomb off the waypoint.
View Quote
I have the TDC and depress mapped to a stick on the T.16000 throttle. I might map the TDC depress to something else, it's possible the input there is kinda dodgy for a "push and hold" type of command.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Bushamster21:
Anyone else's IR Mavericks doing weird things in the F-18? I try slew over targets and sometimes it moves, sometimes it doesn't, other times after I release the TDC button it keeps moving, and sometimes it doesn't even slew in the right direction.
View Quote
They do weird shit in the harrier too. Havent tried the f18.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Woo. Just had my first deleted msg on the ED forums...
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok... I did the update and repair and it seems to be back to normal now.

Not sure what happened.   Gonna try and see if I can get into a MP game.

Anyone have some SRS channels I should be using?  Servers??
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok... I did the update and repair and it seems to be back to normal now.

Not sure what happened.   Gonna try and see if I can get into a MP game.

Anyone have some SRS channels I should be using?  Servers??
View Quote
We should be getting on the 107th Caucasus server in a few.  Hop on Discord.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:57:43 PM EDT
[#39]
we are in a friends private, i was in 107th about an hr ago
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sfljohn] [#41]
friends and I will be on all night, prob 107th, wevw been doing a ton of ground pounding between the bug and hog, ill monitor a2g net

look for nipples on the player list, we are on srs, well at least i am.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#42]
NOTHING TO SEE HERE!  

Updated the front MFD Mount arm to be stronger and offset to fit the base and the MFD better without them looking bent because, well, they were bent. I'll add a pic once I have them mounted.

Next PROJECT is to build a FUNCTIONAL Hornet APC module!!! I have a little cleanup on some of the parts, but nothing I didnt expect. I may print some parts at a little higher resolution, but still pondering that.

I did not created the below parts. There is a thread over on ED forums that goes through the entire life of the APC build with details on switches, knows, led's, etc. The guy who did this really did a fantastic job on the parts and layout. Spectacular. I may look at putting in an LED touchscreen in the center instead of a touch pad, buttons and led's. Just a thought on a different version.

The print actually looks a lot better than the pic shows. Lettering is there for the infill. Plan is to sand it down smooth to take out any of the imperfections, paint it matte black then infill the lettering with fluoro white paint.

This is printed in 4 different parts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Another project I am working on is a small button box to use until I get ready to build an actual pit this spring...

First part:  Landing Gear Lollipop Knob

I created 3 different styles.  All use a 4mmX8mm socket head screw to lock onto the shaft of a standard size toggle switch.

Prototype shot.  Not final.  But you get the idea...
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Hahns10mm:
Someday I'll set my pit up again and fly with you guys, I have everything up until the Hornet/Persian gulf. I know the hog inside and out and I can fly the tits off of the Huey.

I can't stand Discord though, it doesn't distinguish between different devices for the PTT button, so button 1 on your throttle, stick, panels, ect all activate the PTT.
View Quote
I use a program called Joy 2 Key as a workaround.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Latest update supposedly improves performance. Anyone on beta care to comment?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Latest update supposedly improves performance. Anyone on beta care to comment?
View Quote
I've been getting strange black frame flashes in VR lately.

Also the comm menu doesn't work correctly anymore.  The "\" button no longer works at all in the air while in multiplayer (it opens the menu in single player but none of the options work), no AI voice, and VoiceAttack no longer works.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Also the comm menu doesn't work correctly anymore.  The "\" button no longer works at all in the air while in multiplayer (it opens the menu in single player but none of the options work), no AI voice, and VoiceAttack no longer works.
View Quote
Set water quality to medium or low to get rid of the black flashing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:

Set water quality to medium or low to get rid of the black flashing.
View Quote
Will try that.

The rest of the stuff I mentioned just turned out to be some bad DCS files a bad VoiceAttack install.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
Any fps improvements in VR? Some guys on the ED forums were saying some serious improvments were noted.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Are you guys talking about DCS World that's stand alone and/or available on Steam?  Free Game, then buy planes to add on?  I've been eyeing it, figuring my TrackIR 5 and X-55 hotas should do something other than fly spaceships around in Elite Dangerous...
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top