Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 7:46:54 AM EDT
I never played the HL games but always wanted to, I'm finishing up Black Mesa and would like to try the second one. I saw used copies were very cheap and was just about to order one, but reading reviews I found out they are through Steam only and the codes are no good used. I don't have home internet (I'm in a rural area, choices are few and expensive), only my cell plan, so the whole Steam system will be a big annoyance and won't work well in my case. I suppose downloading through Steam wouldn't be bad, as long as I can play offline when it's done. I don't want to buy a copy and find out I have to get online just to play an offline game!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to play offline with Steam.  Wouldn't be a good product if you couldn't.  Since HL2 is so old, you may be able to find a used pre-Steam version.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be able to play offline with Steam.  Wouldn't be a good product if you couldn't.  Since HL2 is so old, you may be able to find a used pre-Steam version.
View Quote
HL2 came out when steam came out.  Your stuck with using Steam if you want to play HL2.

You could run a cracked version, but I'd suggest just getting it cheap through steam.  Downloading it will be a pain, but once you have it you could play it offline.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm almost jealous OP, HL2 on the first run is really good. You will enjoy it, and even if it's a little trouble to get, it's worth it.  Steam is probably your only option though.  

You hear about Half Life 3 coming out?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok well as long as it will run fine offline I guess that's not too bad. What I had read made it sound like I had to get online everytime I wanted to play Steam based games.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm almost jealous OP, HL2 on the first run is really good. You will enjoy it, and even if it's a little trouble to get, it's worth it.  Steam is probably your only option though.  

You hear about Half Life 3 coming out?
View Quote
Well I could probably make you more jealous that I haven't played any PC game newer than 2005 or so.  I quit gaming for a while around that time, and I never could have M rated games growing up at home so I never could play Half life, Halo, etc at the time. Now I'm trying to get caught up a little, finished Halo 1 before Black Mesa, and I'm looking to build a PC very soon to run newer stuff too!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I still have my copy of Half Life I bought so many years ago. One of the greatest games of the decade IMO. Well, it and the mod Counter Strike for it... before it became it's own stand alone game, and before so many cheating mother fuckers with aim bots getting head shots from across the map. Those were the good days..

Is CS or TFC (Team Fortress Classic) still a thing?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still have my copy of Half Life I bought so many years ago. One of the greatest games of the decade IMO. Well, it and the mod Counter Strike for it... before it became it's own stand alone game, and before so many cheating mother fuckers with aim bots getting head shots from across the map. Those were the good days..

View Quote
It's CS:GO and TF2 now.

There are still some luddites playing the old ones though.

TF2 has morphed into... well an interesting hat simulator, but it's fun. CS is still CS, and for me, that's the problem with it. It needs something new, aside from just the weapon skins.

OP, if you are just now getting into HL2, do yourself a huge favor and pick up Portal and Portal 2. They are, in my opinion, especially 2, the best single player games ever made.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can download the game, you can play offline thereafter.  Steam does require you connect/ login about once a month to keep playing in offline mode.  If you don't it locks your Steam games down until you do so.  ** This info may be out of date.  It has been a couple years since I had the issues that made me figure it out.

If bandwidth is an issue at home (but you have access to wifi at work, or someplace in town) you can use a laptop and external hard drive to get around that.  There are some YouTube videos around if you would like to know more.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I love HL, HL2, etc. Black Mesa? Are you talking about the mod of HL1 using the source engine? I don't think it's 100% complete yet is it? I just played it a few months back and it stops when you portal into Xen. If that's what you are talking about, you really are missing some good content from HL1. And to any other HL fans...Black Mesa is 10000% worth the $20.

OP, don't forget about HL2 ep1 & ep2
And Opposing Force
And Blue Shift  

Steam lets you play offline.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love HL, HL2, etc. Black Mesa? Are you talking about the mod of HL1 using the source engine? I don't think it's 100% complete yet is it? I just played it a few months back and it stops when you portal into Xen. If that's what you are talking about, you really are missing some good content from HL1. And to any other HL fans...Black Mesa is 10000% worth the $20.

OP, don't forget about HL2 ep1 & ep2
And Opposing Force
And Blue Shift  

Steam lets you play offline.
View Quote
Yes I ran across a standalone version of the Black Mesa mod, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm in the Lambda core area which I think is where it will end from what I've read on it. 

I'm most excited about HL2, it was everywhere when I was younger (I would have been 12-13 when it was new) but as mentioned I was never able to get it, something I've always wanted to try.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes I ran across a standalone version of the Black Mesa mod, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm in the Lambda core area which I think is where it will end from what I've read on it. 

I'm most excited about HL2, it was everywhere when I was younger (I would have been 12-13 when it was new) but as mentioned I was never able to get it, something I've always wanted to try.
View Quote
Ye they are not finished with it, supposed to be done late summer (it will add another few levels on the planet Xen)
It is an amazing stand alone. Worth the $20. I actually own a red crowbar because of HL. It sits in my bug out bag
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

TF2 has morphed into... well an interesting hat simulator, but it's fun. CS is still CS, and for me, that's the problem with it. It needs something new, aside from just the weapon skins.

OP, if you are just now getting into HL2, do yourself a huge favor and pick up Portal and Portal 2. They are, in my opinion, especially 2, the best single player games ever made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add Portal Stories: Mel to that -- it's a phenomenal mod, better even than 1 and 2.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 Add Portal Stories: Mel to that -- it's a phenomenal mod, better even that 1 and 2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add Portal Stories: Mel to that -- it's a phenomenal mod, better even that 1 and 2.
I got a copy of Portal 2 with my used PS3 purchase, and not knowing what it was just stuck it away and started playing GTA 5 or something. Not long ago I decided to try it and I'm a few levels in, haven't been back to it in a while though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#14]
To expand on the historical background, Half-Life 2 is THE game Valve used to launch Steam, it is the reason steam was so successful at getting adopted.  They support offline play very well, the only games you need to be online for (after downloading) are multiplayer ones that use steam services multiplayer.  Plenty of 3rd party games you buy off steam you can launch directly (after downloading) and avoid steam entirely.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Obviously playing on pc is the way to go, but you can get an Xbox 360 (if you don't have one already) and then get The Orange Box. It's a compilation of Portal, HL2, and TF2.

Probably super cheap on Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Some Steam games require a constant connection, but not the majority. Many you'll need to run once with a connection so they can finish setting up, then they're playable offline. I do it a lot on my laptop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top