Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2017 7:20:39 PM EDT
Release date - November 7, 2017

Will feature backward compatibility with OG Xbox.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-all-the-microsoft-press-conference-news/1100-6450748/
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
This may get me back into gaming.

I have been wanting to game pretty badly lately.

Don't want to buy a PS4 or XBox One this late in that game.

Thought about a Switch but nobody has them and the game library is pathetic.

If I still want to game by the time this release comes around, I'll probably do it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This may get me back into gaming.

I have been wanting to game pretty badly lately.

Don't want to buy a PS4 or XBox One this late in that game.

Thought about a Switch but nobody has them and the game library is pathetic.

If I still want to game by the time this release comes around, I'll probably do it.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat. I've been fondly remembering BF 3/4 lately.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched the livestream presentation of what it can do and some of the games that will be available and it looks amazing.  I don't have a 4k tv and this may be just the excuse I need to buy one.  At $499 it seems like a screaming bargain.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I won't be an early adopter, I just bought my Xbox One like 2 1/2 years ago, it's too soon for another major purchase.

I still have my 1080p TV that I bought in 2007.

Next summer maybe.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They're advertising liquid cooling and 4K at 60 fps.

That's pretty wicked for a console.
View Quote
Everything I'm seeing is saying that it's a "liquid vapor chamber" or something along those lines. Not true liquid cooling which I think is a good thing, why introduce an unnecessary failure point
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I can build an AR for that

It does sound like MS may be knocking on PC performance for once, which should make a lot of folks happy.

I've also replaced video games with shooting, hiking, off-roading, and regular team-based tactical training, so they don't really appeal to me any more. More power to those who enjoy them, though!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It does sound like MS may be knocking on PC performance for once, which should make a lot of folks happy.

I've also replaced video games with shooting, hiking, off-roading, and regular team-based tactical training, so they don't really appeal to me any more. More power to those who enjoy them, though!
View Quote
Most console launches could be described with "I could buy [insert gun here] for that much". It is too rich for my blood but they said some time ago it would be a premium priced console for the people that want a premium console experience. That said, I thought it would be $599 but for some reason lately everybody was thinking $399. $499 seems about right to me but I think by time it actually launches one would be able to build a comparable PC for about that much. Granted, it isn't marketed towards people that would rather build a PC but I'm thinking the performance per dollar compared to a PC will be the same as when xbone/ps4 first launched, ps3/x360, etc etc. I think they huge step here will be attempting to bring 4k further into the gaming mainstream while also building a bridge to the PC side of things.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Why so soon for another console, or is this an upgraded Xbox One that normally uses Xbox One games, but has better technical capability?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I watched the livestream presentation of what it can do and some of the games that will be available and it looks amazing.  I don't have a 4k tv and this may be just the excuse I need to buy one.  At $499 it seems like a screaming bargain.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure they are going to lose it out the ass on the first 750k units before starting to recover cash.  For a benjamin more, this stomps the PS4 Pro in pretty much every category.  I'll be getting one, likely trading my XBox One Elite towards it.

Shame, since I was planning on getting a Switch this fall.  Guess I'll pick up a Wii U to play Zelda on.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why so soon for another console, or is this an upgraded Xbox One that normally uses Xbox One games, but has better technical capability?
View Quote
Upgraded xbox one. Think of it like the ps4 pro.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#12]
PC gamer experts, how impressive are the specs?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you built a pic, you'd have to spend $200 ish more to get the same performance give or take.  But you'd have a full pic vs entertainment center. Not counting displays, mouse and keyboard, etc. just components and OS vs the Xbox. 
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Most console launches could be described with "I could buy [insert gun here] for that much". It is too rich for my blood but they said some time ago it would be a premium priced console for the people that want a premium console experience. That said, I thought it would be $599 but for some reason lately everybody was thinking $399. $499 seems about right to me but I think by time it actually launches one would be able to build a comparable PC for about that much. Granted, it isn't marketed towards people that would rather build a PC but I'm thinking the performance per dollar compared to a PC will be the same as when xbone/ps4 first launched, ps3/x360, etc etc. I think they huge step here will be attempting to bring 4k further into the gaming mainstream while also building a bridge to the PC side of things.
View Quote
And yet MS is moving forward with the "play anywhere" strategy.  It's an impressive piece of hardware, no question.  I'm not actually sure what the big business strategy is in embracing both pc & console hardware, except that it corals 2 historically divergent user bases.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
And many smart phones are $700-$800.  

There's like a billion more engineering hours & tech into that console vs an AR.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not very.

Have to wait a new generation before you get something truly worth the money.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's similar to a current low-mid end gaming PC, or something pretty good from a couple of years ago. Keep in mind that when comparing 4K/60fps to whatever you want on the PC side they're not saying anything about graphics quality. Is this the same as 4K with a solid 60fps on a PC with maxed out graphics settings, or is this similar to a PC with graphics settings cranked all the way down, and dips well under 60fps in some parts of a game? You could call either of those things 4K/60fps.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Guess I'll trade in my Xbox One S. I got a 4k TV, so I might as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I had zero interest in this, but the backwards compatibility makes it a much more usable upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the replies.  Looks like I'll be buying another xbox!

Now I need a 4k projector.  This is going to cost too much.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Really looking forward to Doom and Fallout 4 VR. Hopefully Fallout 4 will be available for PSVR.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't think it's (Xbox One X) going to sell. I don't see it attracting many people to buy their first Xbox, and I don't see many people that already have an Xbox want to spend the money to upgrade it.

They said that it won't have any exclusives, just run Xbone games better and at a higher resolution.

The PS3 didn't sell well when it was that expensive, and it had ground breaking technology that even PC lacked (blu-ray)

Exclusive games sell consoles more than anything. That's how Nintendo manages to stay afloat. Xbox completely lacks that this generation.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#25]
The PC expo was lackluster to awful. Lawbreakers was the only thing that interested me. The big reveal was AOE1 Remastered. Kay.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Posting a spec sheet for it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
No one should ever buy a Xbone X solely because Microsoft thought these shirts would be cool

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Age of Empires redone looks nice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Ubisoft had a good conference.

Too bad their games turn out to be garbage at launch.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't think it's (Xbox One X) going to sell. I don't see it attracting many people to buy their first Xbox, and I don't see many people that already have an Xbox want to spend the money to upgrade it.

They said that it won't have any exclusives, just run Xbone games better and at a higher resolution.

The PS3 didn't sell well when it was that expensive, and it had ground breaking technology that even PC lacked (blu-ray)

Exclusive games sell consoles more than anything. That's how Nintendo manages to stay afloat. Xbox completely lacks that this generation.
View Quote
Recall the new, $150 "Elite" controller that everyone said was too expensive, & yet it flew off the shelf.  Even MSFT underestimated the demand.  The same thing could happen here.  I will actually be surprised if we don't see it being leveraged through added in-game fidelity or enhanced VR or AR features.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Recall the new, $150 "Elite" controller that everyone said was too expensive, & yet it flew off the shelf.  Even MSFT underestimated the demand.  The same thing could happen here.  I will actually be surprised if we don't see it being leveraged through added in-game fidelity or enhanced VR or AR features.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, I freaking love my elite controller.  Granted, it came with my elite console, but still.  My only complaint was the first gen didn't have enough glue holding the injection textured rubber on the plastic.  So they'd come off with use.  I just popped the bastards off and used contact cement to fix that.  Beyond that, fantastic controller.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Everything I'm seeing is saying that it's a "liquid vapor chamber" or something along those lines. Not true liquid cooling which I think is a good thing, why introduce an unnecessary failure point
View Quote
Correct, a vapor chamber is basically superior to a heatsink with heatpipes in everything but cost.
Vapor chamber based heatsinks are more efficient for their size so they are a good choice for a thermal and size constrained device.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Will there be games that are made for the Xbox X that aren't playable on my one?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Will there be games that are made for the Xbox X that aren't playable on my one?
View Quote
Nope, everything will run on the One, some will just get 4k graphics upgrades or run at a higher resolution or FPS on the X.  Just an upgrade to the platform instead of a replacement.  Pretty sure MS is going to run the Xbox OS for a good while and just keep doing incremental updates.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nope, everything will run on the One, some will just get 4k graphics upgrades or run at a higher resolution or FPS on the X.  Just an upgrade to the platform instead of a replacement.  Pretty sure MS is going to run the Xbox OS for a good while and just keep doing incremental updates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that's good.  I have no need for 4K but don't want to miss out on games.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
They will announce a brand new console in 2-3 years.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:15:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No one should ever buy a Xbone X solely because Microsoft thought these shirts would be cool

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCEGAECXUAI3K09.jpg
View Quote
Those shirts are the gayest thing I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I won't be an early adopter, I just bought my Xbox One like 2 1/2 years ago, it's too soon for another major purchase.

I still have my 1080p TV that I bought in 2007.

Next summer maybe.
View Quote
I waited over a year before buying an Xbone because I didnt want that integrated kinnect bullshit.

Then when I did buy it I found them to be continually dicking with things.   Party chat still doesnt work nearly as well as it did on the Xbox 360.   The menus are a confounded stupid pile of shit designed by idiotic herp derp retards.

There is no way in hell I will buy another one of their shitty assed systems if they are going to subscribe to being a social media experiment rather than something is meant to play games.

Oh and then there is the DCMRA bullshit with many games not working unless you sign in and connect to the mother fucki g goddamn internet.   Nearly took my Xbone out and smashed it on the ground after it refused to let me play any of my games after an update.    I shouldnt have to unplug the damn pile of shit a half dozen times trying to get it to release some kind of memory to reboot so it properly logs into my account so I can play a fucking game.

The updates.   My god, just stop.   I just want to play the damn games and it keeps changing shit with many of the updates.

Their shit sucks same as every windows version since Windows 7.   God damn it I hate them.

It isnt about the money for me.   It is the fact that they deliberately fuck with things that worked.   They screw with muscle memory or what you were used to.   They sell you a bag of lies that this new way is better when in fact it takes more steps and more layers of bullshit while simply not working.

AngryJoe's interview with the microsoft retards back during the Xbone release shows what kind of jackasses are at microsoft.

Hopefully those schmucks learned from it and they will be back to an actual gaming console.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:28:52 AM EDT
[#40]
GODDAMNIT!!

I fucking knew Activision was going to puss-out and go the politically correct route with CODWW2!

No buy unless they make it historically accurate, and I really want this game.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:38:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
GODDAMNIT!!

I fucking knew Activision was going to puss-out and go the politically correct route with CODWW2!

No buy unless they make it historically accurate, and I really want this game.
View Quote
cliff's notes?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#42]
No Nazi flags, because the sugar cookies all over the world find it offensive.

Why even make a WW2 game then?

ETA: Some people on other forums were saying it's apparently just a censored trailer for global release, and the actual game will be accurate. Hope so.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Ubisoft. Wow.

I don't care about the controversies, because Far Cry 5 looks like it could be the best one yet. Day one, right there.

Also they actually made a full blown, new IP, pirate game based on Black Flag. Another day one purchase.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP I need the original video from your Avatar.
View Quote
It's actually this GIF from "P.T." which was the demo for the (cancelled) Silent Hills game.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That would be my guess as well, doesn't Europe have laws about this stuff and that's why their versions can't have Swastikas?
View Quote
Yeah, some like Germany do.  But that's still a bad excuse because the Wolfenstein trailer had no problems showing swastikas.  In fact, Wolfenstein is making two different versions of the game for places that don't allow them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top