Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 9:10:34 PM EDT
I'm looking at piecing together computer for some light video editing and gaming, mostly gaming side.

Any direction for a noob? I understand basic hardware and how it fits together. The soft ware and what makes what good is where I don't know squat

This was the build I was thinking of following
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking at piecing together computer for some light video editing and gaming, mostly gaming side.

Any direction for a noob? I understand basic hardware and how it fits together. The soft ware and what makes what good is where I don't know squat

This was the build I was thinking of following
View Quote

There really isn't anything wrong with it. If you're dead set on the case lighting but only care about maybe having one color I would look at the NZXT LED strips on amazon for $10. You'd save $20 and can put it towards other stuff. I'd personally pony up the cash for a better power supply. I don't think there is anything wrong with the seasonic one but you can get one from EVGA/Corsair for not much more that I think would be a little better. ~520w should be enough, but I think if you go a little higher you can future proof a bit in case you get into overclocking the cpu/gpu down the road (not a concern with that i5 in particular though).

Overall though I think it looks pretty solid and most substitutions to be made would probably be based off anecdotal personal experience or brand loyalty. Nothing to really nitpick IMHO. I usually knock stuff for adding a ton of flash and a ton of cost with no increase in performance. This one looks to be mostly go and just a little show, so thumbs up there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There really isn't anything wrong with it. If you're dead set on the case lighting but only care about maybe having one color I would look at the NZXT LED strips on amazon for $10. You'd save $20 and can put it towards other stuff. I'd personally pony up the cash for a better power supply. I don't think there is anything wrong with the seasonic one but you can get one from EVGA/Corsair for not much more that I think would be a little better. ~520w should be enough, but I think if you go a little higher you can future proof a bit in case you get into overclocking the cpu/gpu down the road (not a concern with that i5 in particular though).

Overall though I think it looks pretty solid and most substitutions to be made would probably be based off anecdotal personal experience or brand loyalty. Nothing to really nitpick IMHO. I usually knock stuff for adding a ton of flash and a ton of cost with no increase in performance. This one looks to be mostly go and just a little show, so thumbs up there.
View Quote
Honestly don't care about lighting, no big deal there.

But thank you for advice. Main thing I worrying about is compatibility between components which is why I'm more than likely going to follow this build.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that's really all I'd say.  A bigger power supply isn't much more than the one you already picked.  Maybe spend another $10 and get DDR4-3000 member.  (I got the Corsair 16GB LPX and it was $109.)

I recently built a new computer and ended up going a little overboard.  My answer when picking parts are always "well, it's only a little more to get this part versus the other one"  

I ended up with an i7-7700k and GTX 1080 and Corsair H100i v2 water cooler.  Total ended up being right at $1500 for everything including windows 10  But it should last awhile.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's really all I'd say.  A bigger power supply isn't much more than the one you already picked.  Maybe spend another $10 and get DDR4-3000 member.  (I got the Corsair 16GB LPX and it was $109.)

I recently built a new computer and ended up going a little overboard.  My answer when picking parts are always "well, it's only a little more to get this part versus the other one"  

I ended up with an i7-7700k and GTX 1080 and Corsair H100i v2 water cooler.  Total ended up being right at $1500 for everything including windows 10  But it should last awhile.
View Quote
I was looking at one of the Corsair kits for water cooling, but I saw some horror stories online on hoses failing and spraying a computer. I want to experiment with a little bit of overclocking so I believe water may be what I need to do.

I'm the same way when it comes to "It's only a few more bucks" But I'd rather build the thing and have it last a while then need to upgrade by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Dump the lighting...no need for that.  

Look into something form Phanteks, corsair, or NZXT for a case...deepcool isn't a manufacturer I would even consider personally...but the case is all personal style..choose what you like.  

I would go with a Western Digital Blue HDD.

As for software...are you going to be running windows?  If so...gaming is simple...get Steam(and Origin if they have what you want).  For video editing, if you want the best, get Adobe Premier...otherwise you're going to have to search the internet and decide what has the features you  like with the least amount of terribleness.  

Also...when you're setting the computer up, make sure you update all drivers from the internet...toss all the CD's that come with the hardware...odds are they're already outdated.  Check out https://ninite.com/ for initial software packages.  

After that...get after it...it's all pretty simple really.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dump the lighting...no need for that.  

Look into something form Phanteks, corsair, or NZXT for a case...deepcool isn't a manufacturer I would even consider personally...but the case is all personal style..choose what you like.  

I would go with a Western Digital Blue HDD.

As for software...are you going to be running windows?  If so...gaming is simple...get Steam(and Origin if they have what you want).  For video editing, if you want the best, get Adobe Premier...otherwise you're going to have to search the internet and decide what has the features you  like with the least amount of terribleness.  

Also...when you're setting the computer up, make sure you update all drivers from the internet...toss all the CD's that come with the hardware...odds are they're already outdated.  Check out https://ninite.com/ for initial software packages.  

After that...get after it...it's all pretty simple really.
View Quote
Windows and Premier was what I was planning.

I've been a little bit of everywhere looking at builds mostly youtube, lotta guys say to load updates from manufacturer to USB's and update the drivers while setting it up. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the NZXT S340 case and it's pretty nice.  I got it "refurbished" from Newegg's eBay store for $59 shipped and it's perfect.

The i7-7700k on Newegg.com was $349 but on their eBay store it was only $299.  So you may want to search neweggs deals on eBay too
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was looking at one of the Corsair kits for water cooling, but I saw some horror stories online on hoses failing and spraying a computer. I want to experiment with a little bit of overclocking so I believe water may be what I need to do.

I'm the same way when it comes to "It's only a few more bucks" But I'd rather build the thing and have it last a while then need to upgrade by the end of the year.
View Quote
Well, that changes things. Keep in mind to overclock you need an intel "K" processor. A quality PSU and motherboard is generally a good idea as well. The ones you have in that build aren't bad, but if you want to overclock you do change the game a bit. And I'm with curtis, the s340 is a fantastic case for the money IMHO.... but if you're going to overclock I'd shop around. I have a s340 and it won't clear the biggest air coolers and a 280mm radiator for water cooling is a challenge to fit too (will only fit with fans in a push configuration).

And since we're doing this... I put something together as an alternative, just food for thought:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($108.29 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($122.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($374.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1090.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-26 03:43 EDT-0400

Similar price but you get a better PSU, better RAM, I'd say a better case, and a better HDD in addition to a decent SSD. You could splurge for a Samsung SSD but the Crucials are pretty good while saving a few bucks.

I put a ryzen 1500x because the single thread performance will be up there with the i5 7500 but the multi thread will be trading blows with it in certain applications/games. It's ahead in some and behind in others so IMHO it's somewhat a wash... Why I would go with ryzen over the i5 7500 though is future proofing and immediate savings. On the future proofing side keep in mind that the AMD AM4 socket will be used for the foreseeable future. Intel likes to change their fucking sockets almost every damn year so if you buy an Intel CPU this year odds are you won't be able to upgrade it without buying a new motherboard in a year. This isn't an issue if you know you won't want to change anything for a long time. Next, keep in mind you don't need a special cpu/motherboard to overclock on ryzen for the most part. Also, the stock cooler on the ryzen chips is not the worst so you can OC them out of the box and put a bigger cooler on down the road if you want to push it.

Just my two cents. I think overall intel is generally the way to go but AMD is much more consumer friendly right now and you're not compromising by buying AMD like you would a year ago.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, that changes things. Keep in mind to overclock you need an intel "K" processor. A quality PSU and motherboard is generally a good idea as well. The ones you have in that build aren't bad, but if you want to overclock you do change the game a bit. And I'm with curtis, the s340 is a fantastic case for the money IMHO.... but if you're going to overclock I'd shop around. I have a s340 and it won't clear the biggest air coolers and a 280mm radiator for water cooling is a challenge to fit too (will only fit with fans in a push configuration).

And since we're doing this... I put something together as an alternative, just food for thought:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($108.29 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($122.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($374.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1090.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-26 03:43 EDT-0400

Similar price but you get a better PSU, better RAM, I'd say a better case, and a better HDD in addition to a decent SSD. You could splurge for a Samsung SSD but the Crucials are pretty good while saving a few bucks.

I put a ryzen 1500x because the single thread performance will be up there with the i5 7500 but the multi thread will be trading blows with it in certain applications/games. It's ahead in some and behind in others so IMHO it's somewhat a wash... Why I would go with ryzen over the i5 7500 though is future proofing and immediate savings. On the future proofing side keep in mind that the AMD AM4 socket will be used for the foreseeable future. Intel likes to change their fucking sockets almost every damn year so if you buy an Intel CPU this year odds are you won't be able to upgrade it without buying a new motherboard in a year. This isn't an issue if you know you won't want to change anything for a long time. Next, keep in mind you don't need a special cpu/motherboard to overclock on ryzen for the most part. Also, the stock cooler on the ryzen chips is not the worst so you can OC them out of the box and put a bigger cooler on down the road if you want to push it.

Just my two cents. I think overall intel is generally the way to go but AMD is much more consumer friendly right now and you're not compromising by buying AMD like you would a year ago.
View Quote
The more I look into overclocking the more I see that, the list I posted may be a little weak. Thank you for that list that must of taken some time.

Upgradable is a big plus to me, I was unaware that intel changed their sockets so frequently. Looks like I need to do a little more research before I pull the trigger! But that build you supplied is right around where I want to be price wise.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Subbed for later
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#11]
For video editing IMO a Ryzen 1600 or 1700 with more cores would be better. You may lose a little on the CPU side of things for games but would gain when it comes to editing.
Just make sure to get 3200Mhz DDR4 and at least a GTX 1070.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
well from what i hear you are mostly game and light video i don't think the amd 1600 or 1700 are need just get a intel 7700k, 32gb of ram, ssd or 2 with a large hdd for storage.

gfx card wise i hear amd vega is about to release in a month or so so maybe get a 1060 and see what vega brings. depending on what monitor you use it should be fine.

as for coolers dont worry about getting a CLC cooler like the corsair h110 or what ever. they are ok but you can do just fine with a nice fin cooler. big issue that the intel chis is the thermal paste between the die and the heat spreader.

i could make a list for you if you want me to but i need a price to aim for.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The more I look into overclocking the more I see that, the list I posted may be a little weak. Thank you for that list that must of taken some time.

Upgradable is a big plus to me, I was unaware that intel changed their sockets so frequently. Looks like I need to do a little more research before I pull the trigger! But that build you supplied is right around where I want to be price wise.
View Quote
No problem, didn't more than a few minutes. As somebody else said, I would probably hold off for AMD's Vega cards. They might be a hit, or a miss, but if they're a hit they'll likely be worth the wait. The one thing nobody brought up is adaptive sync. Nvidia has Gsync which is phenomenal. I personally just bought a g-sync monitor and it is definitely a night and day difference... BUT it's an extra $200 over a comparable monitor just to have one with the gsync module. AMD has Freesync, which is almost as good (if not as good depending on who you talk to). Freesync doesn't use an expensive module though so they're generally $200 less than a gsync monitor with identical specs.  If you don't care about either of those though then don't wait, there will always be something better 2 months after you build so I wouldn't get hung up on that.

Once again, can't beat intel right now, but I would really do your homework. Intel has just been rebadging CPUs for a couple years now with extremely incremental increases each time and they usually force a socket change so it's expensive to upgrade. The ryzen 1500x is a 65w CPU with a 95w cooler included which is a good idiot proof setup to mess with overclocking while still coming in exactly at your budget. The ryzen CPUs mostly just trade blows with the comparable intel ones in certain applications so it's mostly a wash IMHO... but if you wanted to upgrade I think it would be much easier.

In any which case if you see a good deal on DDR4 memory I would pull the trigger since that won't be getting any cheaper anytime soon and may still go up in price throughout the year due to the "shortage". The same goes for SSDs, the prices fluctuate but are supposed to be climbing steadily as well until 2018.

On a final note I would keep an eye out on www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales. You can find some pretty great bundle deals on there and jet.com does sales quite a bit if you're a first time customer that can mean up to $60 off the gpu in most cases. Also check and see if you have a fry's electronics or microcenter near you since you could probably shave $200 off your build if you keep an eye out on their in-store only specials.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
hopefully you are close to boston as there is a microcenter there. microcenter tends to sell intel cpus cheaper then any one and an additional $30 off if you buy a motherboard too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
hopefully you are close to boston as there is a microcenter there. microcenter tends to sell intel cpus cheaper then any one and an additional $30 off if you buy a motherboard too.
View Quote
I'm about a 20 minute drive, I'll look into them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No problem, didn't more than a few minutes. As somebody else said, I would probably hold off for AMD's Vega cards. They might be a hit, or a miss, but if they're a hit they'll likely be worth the wait. The one thing nobody brought up is adaptive sync. Nvidia has Gsync which is phenomenal. I personally just bought a g-sync monitor and it is definitely a night and day difference... BUT it's an extra $200 over a comparable monitor just to have one with the gsync module. AMD has Freesync, which is almost as good (if not as good depending on who you talk to). Freesync doesn't use an expensive module though so they're generally $200 less than a gsync monitor with identical specs.  If you don't care about either of those though then don't wait, there will always be something better 2 months after you build so I wouldn't get hung up on that.

Once again, can't beat intel right now, but I would really do your homework. Intel has just been rebadging CPUs for a couple years now with extremely incremental increases each time and they usually force a socket change so it's expensive to upgrade. The ryzen 1500x is a 65w CPU with a 95w cooler included which is a good idiot proof setup to mess with overclocking while still coming in exactly at your budget. The ryzen CPUs mostly just trade blows with the comparable intel ones in certain applications so it's mostly a wash IMHO... but if you wanted to upgrade I think it would be much easier.

In any which case if you see a good deal on DDR4 memory I would pull the trigger since that won't be getting any cheaper anytime soon and may still go up in price throughout the year due to the "shortage". The same goes for SSDs, the prices fluctuate but are supposed to be climbing steadily as well until 2018.

On a final note I would keep an eye out on www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales. You can find some pretty great bundle deals on there and jet.com does sales quite a bit if you're a first time customer that can mean up to $60 off the gpu in most cases. Also check and see if you have a fry's electronics or microcenter near you since you could probably shave $200 off your build if you keep an eye out on their in-store only specials.
View Quote
I think I will hold out for the Vega cards, this build wont happen over night and what's a few months. I'm my nonarf friends have pushed intel but I'm going todo a little digging on Ryzen, sounds like it'll be a better deal for the future. The post below yours says there is a Microcenter in Boston and I'm only about 20 minutes away may take the drive this weekend if I have some time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think I will hold out for the Vega cards, this build wont happen over night and what's a few months. I'm my nonarf friends have pushed intel but I'm going to do a little digging on Ryzen, sounds like it'll be a better deal for the future. The post below yours says there is a Microcenter in Boston and I'm only about 20 minutes away may take the drive this weekend if I have some time.
View Quote
from what amd came from ryzen is a beast. issue is, is that amd kinda rushed the launch even tho they were pushing it back. so there seems to be a good amount of driver optimization that is needed and so there have been loads of bios updates and drivers so i don't like recommending them to non hard core computer people. with those bios updates memory capatibility is the biggest issue and trying to run faster then 3000mhz has been pretty hit or miss but running the fastest memory benefits ryzen a lot.

as for their performance they are slower core for core but with having more cores it can over power the intel stuff on stuff like transcoding. for games they seem to work fine but the higher frequency on intel still edges out by 10-15fps. mainly depends on the game and the resolution you are playing at.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
from what amd came from ryzen is a beast. issue is, is that amd kinda rushed the launch even tho they were pushing it back. so there seems to be a good amount of driver optimization that is needed and so there have been loads of bios updates and drivers so i don't like recommending them to non hard core computer people. with those bios updates memory capatibility is the biggest issue and trying to run faster then 3000mhz has been pretty hit or miss but running the fastest memory benefits ryzen a lot.

as for their performance they are slower core for core but with having more cores it can over power the intel stuff on stuff like transcoding. for games they seem to work fine but the higher frequency on intel still edges out by 10-15fps. mainly depends on the game and the resolution you are playing at.
View Quote
Rocking a 1700 with no issues on the ram.  LPX 3000
This thing is SOLID I mean stupid solid even under load how I have it set up it is BARELY breaking 30c under load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top