Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 5:19:45 AM EDT
My SLI setup shit the bed the other day so I'm going to salvage what I can for a multimedia server on my home network and build a new gaming machine. I have no interest in Ryzen or anything amd due to their driver shenanigans in the past, I also have 2 samsung pro ssd's and a 4tb hdd ill be using for game and media storage. Will be running 3 monitors with a part time 4th all on HDMI.
This is what I'm leaning towards right now PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($375.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum Chrome 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($419.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($167.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2495.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-11 04:17 EST-0500
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Never been a fan of top end motherboards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you went on pcpartpicker and chose the most expensive part for each category. Nothing wrong with the parts that you chose, and I generally don't believe in overkill... but this is one of those times where you're definitely paying much more than you need to.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($167.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($599.89 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($197.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2049.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-11 18:41 EST-0500

I dropped down to a more reasonable mobo, the one you had is great but unnecessary unless you're doing insane cooling, running titans in sli, and trying to find the secret of life. I left the cooler alone since it is a nice cooler and i assume due to your case choice aesthetics played a big factor. If you want to save some money a corsair h115i is pretty similar and is cheaper, but the nzxt does slightly beat it (slightly). Dropped that corsair ram for some g.skill. The corsair kit is nice once again but you're a huge premium for bling and not a lot of extra performance. The RAM is the same speed and is still quality. I left the SSD alone, not a lot of options for m.2 drives without going cheap and sketchy. Dropped the asus card for the evga one since it's almost $100 cheaper and all of the 1080 cards perform pretty similar anyways until you go with water cooling. Left the case alone since I assume you were looking for that particular look. Tempered glass is catching on though so if you just wanted the glass look the s340 elite and p400 glass are cheaper alternatives that still look good. I dropped down a level on the power supply, still fully modular platinum. I'm sure the same 2 people I fight with every time about this will chime in shortly, but unless you're going SLI with two apeshit cards then I don't see a point to a 1000w supply today. Everything keeps getting more and more power efficient yet people are still running around spouting "hur dur 1200w for future proofing", future proofing against what? Needing to run your home appliances off your PC PSU? Just my two cents, but even if you went with a titan 850 would still be enough. Comes in about 400 cheaper overall which is more cash towards a monitor upgrade or another card down the road (although SLI keeps seeing less and less support it seems like).
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Pc part picker actually came after the fact and didn't have the exact ram I want which is this so I picked the closest equivalent which was quite a bit more expensive. I do intend to go back to sli in the future but am Leary of the evga based on recent cooler issues that have been killing cards. Mainly I am color coordinating for a red theme lol. The psu is definitely overkill but I plan on using it in more builds in the future, my current evga 750 would be plenty for the build but I want it to be as future proof as possible think quad sli.

The cooler was chosen with plans of hitting the silicon lottery and going 5ghz+ with the 7700. The mobo was chosen because it is the asus board with all of the features I am looking for, on board Wi-Fi, usb 3.1, dual m.2 connectors and most importantly EK waterblock preinstalled for a water loop in the near future. I actually don't like the case aesthetics all that much and wanted to go with a Corsair 570x but I can't fit a 280 radiator on top without low profile ram and don't like the look of that case with front mount, the Phanteks is getting great reviews based on build features and I really want tempered glass. It looks like both of those cases have a hdd cage on the bottom, the enthoo cage is removable and the radiator will fill that space.

Edited because posting from stupid phone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I do actually like that ram, when I was sourcing parts earlier in the week it was not available.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pc part picker actually came after the fact and didn't have the exact ram I want which is this so I picked the closest equivalent which was quite a bit more expensive. I do intend to go back to sli in the future but am Leary of the evga based on recent cooler issues that have been killing cards. Mainly I am color coordinating for a red theme lol. The psu is definitely overkill but I plan on using it in more builds in the future, my current evga 750 would be plenty for the build but I want it to be as future proof as possible think quad sli.

The cooler was chosen with plans of hitting the silicon lottery and going 5ghz+ with the 7700. The mobo was chosen because it is the asus board with all of the features I am looking for, on board Wi-Fi, usb 3.1, dual m.2 connectors and most importantly EK waterblock preinstalled for a water loop in the near future. I actually don't like the case aesthetics all that much and wanted to go with a Corsair 570x but I can't fit a 280 radiator on top without low profile ram and don't like the look of that case with front mount, the Phanteks is getting great reviews based on build features and I really want tempered glass. It looks like both of those cases have a hdd cage on the bottom, the enthoo cage is removable and the radiator will fill that space.

Edited because posting from stupid phone.
View Quote

Nvidia has essentially killed 2+ card SLI. And if you were serious about that many cards in SLI, then you would need to be on a socket 2011 platform or whatever the next gen one is going to be.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nvidia has essentially killed 2+ card SLI. And if you were serious about that many cards in SLI, then you would need to be on a socket 2011 platform or whatever the next gen one is going to be.
View Quote
I won't be doing that many cards with this pc and may never, but if something changes 3 years from now and something similar is an option, I won't be buying a psu.

The bigger picture at this point is there will be more drives than what I have listed soon, 5 more 120 or 140 fans, another 280 radiator, another water pump for the board and video card usb audio, KB, mouse, esata drive etc. For an extra couple bucks ill take the 1000.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
1000w psu is overkill. 
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I won't be doing that many cards with this pc and may never, but if something changes 3 years from now and something similar is an option, I won't be buying a psu.

The bigger picture at this point is there will be more drives than what I have listed soon, 5 more 120 or 140 fans, another 280 radiator, another water pump for the board and video card usb audio, KB, mouse, esata drive etc. For an extra couple bucks ill take the 1000.
View Quote

Well, I guess if you have that many drives running and are thinking of custom loops, sli, etc then 1000w would be the way to go since cash isn't an issue. I'd still hold off on the RAM though, you rmoney and all but pa ying that much for RAM is beyond silly IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1000w psu is overkill. 
View Quote

If there is one place in my box I want overkill. It is at the Psu.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your money to blow
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a difference between a quality PSU and excess wattage overhead just to have it. I have a 650w PSU that I don't have to worry about limiting anything with what I'm running but it's a platinum rated one from a high quality manufacturer. Do I gain anything from say a 1200w PSU? Not really.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There is a difference between a quality PSU and excess wattage overhead just to have it. I have a 650w PSU that I don't have to worry about limiting anything with what I'm running but it's a platinum rated one from a high quality manufacturer. Do I gain anything from say a 1200w PSU? Not really.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Corsair AX1200i when I built this box. I know I overbuilt. But I can change any or all components with no worries.

I expect this PSU to last 2 or 3 rebuiulds.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a screaming deal on the 850 so no 1000. Ordered 32gb kit of G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200. other than that the list is unchanged. Received most of the parts yesterday, the case, ram and CPU cooler will be here in the morning. So long as I didn't get shipped any DOA parts ill build it Sunday morning when I get off work and be back at it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought a Corsair AX1200i when I built this box. I know I overbuilt. But I can change any or all components with no worries.

I expect this PSU to last 2 or 3 rebuiulds.
View Quote

I'm not knocking the monster PSUs people have. I just mean it seems to be a waste on new builds since most are generally sticking to single card setups due to awful SLI/Crossfire support in recent titles, and  GPUs/CPUs just keep getting more and more power efficient. For newer builds it seems silly that people recommend a 1000w+ gold PSU when they could drop as low as 650W and go platinum or titanium even. That said, even just a couple years ago 1000w+ made sense and those PSUs will last a while.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm not knocking the monster PSUs people have. I just mean it seems to be a waste on new builds since most are generally sticking to single card setups due to awful SLI/Crossfire support in recent titles, and  GPUs/CPUs just keep getting more and more power efficient. For newer builds it seems silly that people recommend a 1000w+ gold PSU when they could drop as low as 650W and go platinum or titanium even. That said, even just a couple years ago 1000w+ made sense and those PSUs will last a while.
View Quote

I'm still running a pair of GTX660s I'll be going with a single card when I rebuild.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm still running a pair of GTX660s I'll be going with a single card when I rebuild.
View Quote

Nothing out right now will come close to touching 1200W of PSU... your only option is to go with a new Titan X, watercool it and rig your entire house/neighborhood with RGB light strips.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nothing out right now will come close to touching 1200W of PSU... your only option is to go with a new Titan X, watercool it and rig your entire house/neighborhood with RGB light strips.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know that. I already own it. I'm gonna drive it into the dirt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top