User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sold on either, just have more time on the Sony PS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The more this guy goes on the more I like him. Might even have to get online and play together sometime:
Quoted:

Honestly, for the 10th time I've been a life long sony fanboy... I'd probably go xbox. They really fumbled the ball with the ps4 pro on a multitude of levels. Especially with the play anywhere stuff microsoft is doing if I were in the market and had a pc or planned on getting one at any point it makes more sense to get an xbox and double dip with cross platform purchases. I still like sony exclusives the most personally, but I don't think that outweighs them making questionable hardware decisions. It sucks because last gen they were getting stomped and really pulled it together this gen. Now that they're ahead again they go back to old money grabbing dipshit calls sony.

I have both the PS4 and XBO - and while it makes not one iota difference to me which one you decide to get, OP - pancake makes a couple of really good points in regards to the XBO. Honestly, between the two, I like them both, but if I had to keep one - the XBO does more non-gaming related things that make it a more versatile piece of my entertainment center. I'd keep the Xbox if I had to get rid of one or the other. (And I've owned every Xbox and every PlayStation up to this point)

just something to think about

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has continued to be a great discussion, I have learned much.  But I am going to go console, I'm just not that dedicated ......yet.

now, we can turn this ugly. why ps4 and not xbox?

Go with xbox. I've had every playstation, and I've been a ps plus subscriber since it was introduced. You should be looking at ps4 pro vs xbox one s. The ps4 pro has beefier hardware and no way to use it. It does not come with a 4k capable bluray player, so if you want 4k movies/tv you need to stream them, which could be done cheaper on a 4k streaming box from a company of your choice. The bump in power is mainly from the gpu. If I were to spend that kind of money on a console I'd rather pay $100 more for a more capable PC that actually does what it's advertised to do and much more. The "4k" gaming the ps4 claims isn't true 4k because it's upscaled. You won't see true 4k until the scorpio drops next year, and that's still a maybe. Anybody that tries to sell you on the ps4 pro for 4k gaming is full of shit. It isn't my opinion, it's a hard fact that it will not do that. It will display on your 4k tv but if you've ever seen upscaled game footage it isn't hard to tell that they're full of shit.

The xbox one s isn't as capable as far as raw processing power goes, but like southend said it does literally everything else better. Take into consideration as well that xbox gold is almost always on sale somewhere at any give time for cheaper than ps plus. Also, if you even think you might buy/build a pc at some point keep in mind if you buy the game on the windows store you get the digital download for the xbox as well. So if you build/buy a pc down the road you'll already have games on tap to play and will be able to use the windows xbox app to still join parties and do cross platform with xbox friends. Even without the gaming aspect Microsoft is really pushing integration across the board. Without considering a gaming pc I feel that they have much more solid cross platform apps. The playstation cross platform stuff is garbage. Remote play was really the only thing I truly loved since I could fire my phone up at work and turn in bounties, check xur, or whatever in Destiny, but I had to use a custom version of the app since it wouldn't work with anybody but a sony phone. Microsoft realized nobody is buying windows phones and opened their stuff up to other platforms. Sony doubled down and continues to lock things down. What did sony do when they saw Microsoft release their console games on windows and then even put quantum break on steam? Sony released a game streaming usb stick that you pay a montly sub for to play their older games. They don't understand the market. Instead of seeing that Microsoft is having success by opening their closed ecosystem they doubled down and locked their's down further. Any time you see mention of cross platform play Microsoft is open to the idea and sony shuts it down like with fo4 mod support.

I too have much more time with sony but I've been around long enough supporting them the whole way to see that they have fumbled the ball hard and will continue to do so until they slip into some real deep shit again like with the ps3. I think you'll see Microsoft will start to push hardware power much more like with the scorpio and open their games up to the pc userbase which will make mods much bigger on console. Microsoft realized your average PC gamer isn't going to go out and buy their consoles to play a couple exclusives. They opened things up a bit so they can still sell their games and they bring even more players into their community. Sony is hell bent on keeping things divided at this cost of alienating a more open minded generation.  Sony will pull a Nintendo and lock things down as they slip into irrelevance.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any time you see mention of cross platform play Microsoft is open to the idea and sony shuts it down like with fo4 mod support.
View Quote

you know, that's a great point. Psyonix, the developer of Rocket League, says that they have the ability and the tech in place to allow Rocket League to be the first ever all-3 platform cross play game, and they can "flip the switch" to make it work in a matter of hours, but Sony is the one holding them back from allowing it. MS and Steam are on board.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ps4-xbox-one-rocket-league-cross-play-ready/
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Get your shit together, Sony.  Cross-platform would be awesome.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
PC-Xbone cross play titles make PC a realistic option if you like titles in both genres.  I run an Xbone elite controller on PC, no problems.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

To what end for Sony? Sony is dominating this generation and does not need cross-platform play...if they did enable it Microsoft stands to benefit far more than Sony.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To what end for Sony? Sony is dominating this generation and does not need cross-platform play...if they did enable it Microsoft stands to benefit far more than Sony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who never bothers with the campain on any given game, and only plays multiplayer, having the playerbase doubled/tripled would be great.  IMO, Sony fighting it is only a fighting with their own customers.  Seems most users would welcome cross-platform, including myself.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for users that like myself have a lot of friends on xbox and decide to say fuck it and build a pc and play with two communities instead of being locked into just sony's. There is not a single market analyst in the country that thinks sony will continue to "dominate" this generation for much longer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I play both PS4 and PC. My gaming PC I built is way up there in price if I had to guess probably around the $3,000 to $3,500 mark. I played most of the time on my gaming PC due to the fact most of the PS4 online games not voice chat much anymore that I am seeing. I wish I could use my Astro A50 headset more than just looking at them on my Astro Gaming stand. For a microphone I use the Rode Procaster microphone and my headset is the Sennheiser 650HD headphones that I love and paid $450 for them and they are worth the money and the sound is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Except for users that like myself have a lot of friends on xbox and decide to say fuck it and build a pc and play with two communities instead of being locked into just sony's. There is not a single market analyst in the country that thinks sony will continue to "dominate" this generation for much longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the situation will change, but the current hardware numbers and software lineup are quite telling.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe the situation will change, but the current hardware numbers and software lineup are quite telling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, things change all the time.  And it is becoming more and more apparent that sony is doing everything to save money/improve their bottom line.  Not the white kinght that some people made them out to be.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. We'll see during the holiday season I guess. The diehard sony fanboys may buy the pro in droves. I'm thinking around the holidays though that most parents for instance will go for the cheaper xbox, and I would hope informed consumers will put the research into the 4k debacle before buying one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Eh, things change all the time.  And it is becoming more and more apparent that sony is doing everything to save money/improve their bottom line.  Not the white kinght that some people made them out to be.
View Quote

It's always been about money for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup. We'll see during the holiday season I guess. The diehard sony fanboys may buy the pro in droves. I'm thinking around the holidays though that most parents for instance will go for the cheaper xbox, and I would hope informed consumers will put the research into the 4k debacle before buying one.
View Quote

We'll see, but we won't get an accurate picture until the Scorpio launches at whatever price a "premium" console launches at. Anything is possible, as even the PS3 did manage to finally top the 360 at the end. I do hope that people research 4K and consoles...people expecting legitimate 4K gaming from either console are going to be disappointed if they manage to detect the difference.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but sony crosses the line into extreme stinginess.  Which is very surprising considering how well they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had several custom gaming PC's.  Then life happened.  I was just consumed by other things including my 3 kids, work, etc.  I didn't touch a game for several years.  My kids got more and more into gaming so now we have a Wii U, Xbox One, and PS4.  I really didn't touch them much except to play with my kids or occasionally play a game I wanted to try (like The Last of Us).  I sucked at FPS games with a controller.  I could do single player but just was not good enough with a controller to compete online.  About a year ago I bought an XIM4 adapter that lets me use a keyboard and mouse.  I love it.  It takes some tweeking with each game to get the movements to be right but with most games like Overwatch or Doom it feels the same as playing on a PC.  I can play online and not feel retarded because I suck with a controller.  I don't have to keep up with PC stuff or build a nice gaming PC.  I already have the consoles for my kids.  I just play a few hours on the weekends.  A gaming PC might be nice but this scratches the itch for me.  I have a table set up in my man cave right in front of a 55" TV on the wall for the PS4 with the XIM4 adapter.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah but sony crosses the line into extreme stinginess.  Which is very surprising considering how well they are doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose we see it differently. Microsoft has historically rammed products down the throats of consumers whether they wanted them or not and at a high price point (I'm looking at you, Kinect). Sony is probably still very mindful of their own disaster (prohibitively expensive launch PS3 with bells and whistles very few wanted or needed). I'm thrilled that the PS4 Pro won't include a UHD movie player...it's a feature that I won't use nor want to spend money on.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I suppose we see it differently. Microsoft has historically rammed products down the throats of consumers whether they wanted them or not and at a high price point (I'm looking at you, Kinect). Sony is probably still very mindful of their own disaster (prohibitively expensive launch PS3 with bells and whistles very few wanted or needed). I'm thrilled that the PS4 Pro won't include a UHD movie player...it's a feature that I won't use nor want to spend money on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that Microsoft could put it in the X1 slim and keep the price the same, while sony couldn't be bothered to offer it in either revised console (especially the "4k" PS4) is quite telling.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The fact that Microsoft could put it in the X1 slim and keep the price the same, while sony couldn't be bothered to offer it in either revised console (especially the "4k" PS4) is quite telling.
View Quote

Indeed it is. Relatively speaking, there aren't that many TVs in the USA that can take advantage of the 4K, and the trend is swinging towards digital anyway. Why include a secondary feature (this is, after all, a GAMING console ) that is able to be used by just a fraction of your consumer base? In fact, it's quite telling that the biggest reason to purchase an X1S is to use it as a dedicated 4K movie player.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Indeed it is. Relatively speaking, there aren't that many TVs in the USA that can take advantage of the 4K, and the trend is swinging towards digital anyway. Why include a secondary feature (this is, after all, a GAMING console ) that is able to be used by just a fraction of your consumer base? In fact, it's quite telling that the biggest reason to purchase an X1S is to use it as a dedicated 4K movie player.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a heel of a lot more market penetration for 4K displays today and in the near future than there were for HD movies back in 2006.  Yet Sony stuck a blu-ray drive in the PS3 anyways, driving up prices and causing a year delay in launch.  This isn't the 1990's.  Consoles do a lot more than just playing games.  And consoles need to have more versatility to better stand the test of time whether it is related to gaming or other functions.

Streaming is not yet on par with blu-ray discs in quality or performance and this will only become more of an issue as HDR and higher resolutions become more commonplace.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is a heel of a lot more market penetration for 4K displays today and in the near future than there were for HD movies back in 2006.  Yet Sony stuck a blu-ray drive in the PS3 anyways, driving up prices and causing a year delay in launch.  This isn't the 1990's.  Consoles do a lot more than just playing games.  And consoles need to have more versatility to better stand the test of time whether it is related to gaming or other functions.

Streaming is not yet on par with blu-ray discs in quality or performance and this will only become more of an issue as HDR and higher resolutions become more commonplace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've reiterated a couple of my points The primary focus of a gaming console should be gaming. Microsoft chose a different path and they're learning this lesson the hard way. I suspect they'll make an adjustment to the next console they release.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You've reiterated a couple of my points The primary focus of a gaming console should be gaming. Microsoft chose a different path and they're learning this lesson the hard way. I suspect they'll make an adjustment to the next console they release.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not going to happen.  Scorpio tells you all you need to know about the future of the xbox.  All you need is competent leadership, which has been in place since phil spencer was put in charge and don mattrick was kicked to the curb.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I play both PS4 and PC. My gaming PC I built is way up there in price if I had to guess probably around the $3,000 to $3,500 mark. I played most of the time on my gaming PC due to the fact most of the PS4 online games not voice chat much anymore that I am seeing. I wish I could use my Astro A50 headset more than just looking at them on my Astro Gaming stand. For a microphone I use the Rode Procaster microphone and my headset is the Sennheiser 650HD headphones that I love and paid $450 for them and they are worth the money and the sound is awesome.
View Quote

When I got my gaming PC this spring, it came with a crappy headset. I was faced with the dilemma of having 3 platforms with 3 different headsets to have to juggle. there were headsets all over my den. I did some research and settled on these:

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum

they're not as high end on the audiophile scale as the Astro A50s - but they still sound really, really good. significantly better than any of my other ~$100 headsets i was using, and they're compatible with all 3 of my systems - and can accept audio input from multiple sources at the same time.

for me, that means I can chat with my PS4 friends and play Rocket League with them in the same game on my PC.

Very, very satisfied with those, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When I got my gaming PC this spring, it came with a crappy headset. I was faced with the dilemma of having 3 platforms with 3 different headsets to have to juggle. there were headsets all over my den. I did some research and settled on these:

they're not as high end on the audiophile scale as the Astro A50s - but they still sound really, really good. significantly better than any of my other ~$100 headsets i was using, and they're compatible with all 3 of my systems - and can accept audio input from multiple sources at the same time.

for me, that means I can chat with my PS4 friends and play Rocket League with them in the same game on my PC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's cool! How you like the Logitech's in the long run? I just hope there will be more PS4 online games that are coming out or later coming out will have live chat so other players can hear what is going on during game play. I like my Sennheiser 650HD headphones they fit comfortable and beautiful audio when listening to music and playing online as well or when I am doing video recordings.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's cool! How you like the Logitech's in the long run? I just hope there will be more PS4 online games that are coming out or later coming out will have live chat so other players can hear what is going on during game play. I like my Sennheiser 650HD headphones they fit comfortable and beautiful audio when listening to music and playing online as well or when I am doing video recordings.  
View Quote

I've been really happy with the logitechs. Only had them about a month now, but they work great, and the audio and mic quality are both great. your sennheisers are probably nicer, though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:02:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've been really happy with the logitechs. Only had them about a month now, but they work great, and the audio and mic quality are both great. your sennheisers are probably nicer, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In the long run since owning the Sennheisers they are the best high end head phones I ever bought. For me to be able to use my Rode Procaster I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo that allows me to control the volume from the microphone and the head phones as well which is nice.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In the long run since owning the Sennheisers they are the best high end head phones I ever bought. For me to be able to use my Rode Procaster I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo that allows me to control the volume from the microphone and the head phones as well which is nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's cool. I don't do enough audio recording to justify going that far out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top