BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bullshit that the PC version doesn't unlock until the morning.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Don't forget the decryption patch that seems to be taking forever. What's the point of preloading if they force a day 1 patch to unlock the game that will cripple steam's dl servers?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone able to play on steam?  It's downloading the last little bit but its at 99% 0mbps.  WTF.  Been this way for half an hour.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of makes me glad I'm at the office and can't get home to play until late tonight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Kind of makes me glad I'm at the office and can't get home to play until late tonight.
View Quote
I think its going to take about that long to download the last kb.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems like it takes forever for everybody. The actual patch doesn't take forever to download I guess, it just takes a while to unpack. If the game is on a SSD it'll probably be fine. Took me about 10 minutes altogether, a lot of people on the forums were well past the 20 minute mark just to unpack the game.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My AUG wheel seems to be broken.  After getting the augs fixed up and using praxis to buy augs nothing shows up in the AUG wheel for me to use.  It's empty.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Oddly, Steam users say this game is terrible, but internet reviewers indicate it's better than Human Revolution...

I wonder if I should buy it...

ETA: The reviews on Steam indicate......MICROTRANSACTIONS IN A FUCKING SINGLE PLAYER GAME WHAT THE GOD DAMNED FUCK??????
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oddly, Steam users say this game is terrible, but internet reviewers indicate it's better than Human Revolution...

ETA: The reviews on Steam indicate......MICROTRANSACTIONS IN A FUCKING SINGLE PLAYER GAME WHAT THE GOD DAMNED FUCK??????
View Quote

Yup. Seems like you can't find a game without them now. They're in no way, shape, or form even remotely necessary though.

Steam negative reviews are mostly performance/technical based. I had an issue with a crash in the train station, running in windowed just through that part fixed the crash. Most aren't getting the performance they were expecting with their hardware, seems like running max msaa and shadows are the culprits. If you don't absolutely have to have it right away I'd probably hold off for the dx12 update in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine seemed to do the final install pretty quickly just now. I only had about ten minutes to play as I have to skedaddle for something else tonight.

My initial impressions are:

- Aliens and The Thing inside jokes in the dropship
- Graphics are pretty good, performance on my system seems pretty good. I left MSAA off and everything is smooth, but feels very artificially sharp and jaggy.
- Mouse lag / acceleration is horrendous. Feels like my mouse is underwater and a half second behind my movements. I'll have to look up fixes later on when I have time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I am on PS4, just finished the Dubai mission.

It's everything I loved about HR so far, but streamlined.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Got home and played for another half hour or so. More impressions:

- All of my HUD markers are off positionally, which is a telltale sign of stretched UI... which means the game does not natively support ultrawide resolution. Sigh.
- I've fiddled with both the graphical settings and the mouse settings. The graphics are running perfectly (UI aside) but the mouse lag / acceleration is still abysmal. I can't aim for shit and the noticeable lag makes precision shooting almost impossible. Double Sigh.
- The "in world" UI text, like what you see when you are moving your cover movement indicator, is pixellated and difficult to read. I know it says "space", but fucking hell if I can't actually read it. Triple Sigh.
- The controls are wonky as all fuck. I'm trying to set them to my Human Revolution control setup but it is like they've over complicated the game and added all this additional stuff that is clunky to perform. Quadruple Sigh.

Human Revolution was by no means a perfect game, but it was fluid and intuitive. I felt comfortable playing the game with KB&M seconds into starting it up. Mankind Divided feels jerky, clunky and overly complex and very not user friendly. And the mouse shenanigans make playing the game downright frustrating. I mean, I'm on the first level aiming my sniper rifle at the first guy and it is a CHORE to line up the shot. The fine mouse movement feels like it swims and the quarter second input delay feels like I'm giving the thing a dutch rudder. Oh, and did I mention the aim shift? Sure as shit, with my "hip aim" centered on the guy I hold down RMB to pull up my scope only to discover Adam is aiming two feet above the guy's head. Quintuple Sigh.

This game, like many console ports before it, is whack.

Edit: Played some more, fine tuned my graphics settings a little bit more. Game keeps crashing. Once in Dubai, three times now at the train station.

So far I am less than impressed with this game. Graphics are good, controls are wonk, mouse is shit and now it is crashing like a Mustang at a car club meetup. Sextuple Sigh.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I have not had any crashes or game breaking bugs.  I have had some odd stuff stop working like I couldn't hear NPC's speak.  Any of my problems were resolved by exiting and restarting the game. I'm getting a solid 35+ FPS with a GTX 780 on 1440p.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

- All of my HUD markers are off positionally, which is a telltale sign of stretched UI... which means the game does not natively support ultrawide resolution. Sigh.

- I've fiddled with both the graphical settings and the mouse settings. The graphics are running perfectly (UI aside) but the mouse lag / acceleration is still abysmal. I can't aim for shit and the noticeable lag makes precision shooting almost impossible. Double Sigh.

- The "in world" UI text, like what you see when you are moving your cover movement indicator, is pixellated and difficult to read. I know it says "space", but fucking hell if I can't actually read it. Triple Sigh.

- The controls are wonky as all fuck. I'm trying to set them to my Human Revolution control setup but it is like they've over complicated the game and added all this additional stuff that is clunky to perform. Quadruple Sigh.

Human Revolution was by no means a perfect game, but it was fluid and intuitive. I felt comfortable playing the game with KB&M seconds into starting it up. Mankind Divided feels jerky, clunky and overly complex and very not user friendly. And the mouse shenanigans make playing the game downright frustrating. I mean, I'm on the first level aiming my sniper rifle at the first guy and it is a CHORE to line up the shot. The fine mouse movement feels like it swims and the quarter second input delay feels like I'm giving the thing a dutch rudder. Oh, and did I mention the aim shift? Sure as shit, with my "hip aim" centered on the guy I hold down RMB to pull up my scope only to discover Adam is aiming two feet above the guy's head. Quintuple Sigh.

Edit: Played some more, fine tuned my graphics settings a little bit more. Game keeps crashing. Once in Dubai, three times now at the train station.

So far I am less than impressed with this game. Graphics are good, controls are wonk, mouse is shit and now it is crashing like a Mustang at a car club meetup. Sextuple Sigh.
View Quote
It's definitely sounding like the PC Port is a dumpster fire.

Which is of course why I bought a console in the first place.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup. Seems like you can't find a game without them now. They're in no way, shape, or form even remotely necessary though.

Steam negative reviews are mostly performance/technical based. I had an issue with a crash in the train station, running in windowed just through that part fixed the crash. Most aren't getting the performance they were expecting with their hardware, seems like running max msaa and shadows are the culprits. If you don't absolutely have to have it right away I'd probably hold off for the dx12 update in 3 weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've given up on the steam community forums.  It's worse than Chinese gold farmers.  1 decent post for 10+ shit rants.  Not to mention the influx of consoles gamers bitching in a PC forum.

I've only had performance issues (1-30 FPS) during cut scenes.  On high during normal gameplay, I get 47-60 FPS.  I've only had one major crash during the train station cut scene.

Overall the game has been fun.  It still sucks that ultra wide native support is lacking in modern games.  2560x1080
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I ran it again for another half hour or so this morning in the hub zone.

I think that train station area is glitched, once I got past it I have not had another crash. I also think I figured out what caused my crash in Dubai, I was over-reaching on the graphics settings and I think the game dumped itself because it couldn't flush video memory fast enough. The crash occurred right before the end, and I think it tried to put too much memory.

I really want to like this game but the main thing holding me back right now are the KB&M issues. I can forgive the HUD UI being wonky as very, very few games natively support ultrawide so I'm kind of used to that issue... but I'm not used to the sluggish, swimmy mouse movement and the feeling that all my inputs are delayed a quarter second. I also noticed in Dubai that my "trigger" (LMB) would suddenly stop working after one shot. I'd shoot a guy with the tranq rifle then try to shoot a guy next to him and... nothing... click click click click click click why won't you fire you piece of shit! nothing. I had to take my finger off the RMB and lower the rifle then put my finger back on the RMB to re-aim and magically it would let me shoot. But it would only let me shoot one more time before having to do the same thing again.

I don't know what it is but reading comments on the game on both Steam forums and Reddit lead me to believe the game has serious bugs in its control scheme that only a few of us are experiencing. I really really really don't want to have to play this game with a controller as I HATE playing FPS games with controllers. Everything feels wrong to me with a controller.

I don't know what to do at this point... the game "runs" fine, I just can barely play it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I ran it again for another half hour or so this morning in the hub zone.

I think that train station area is glitched, once I got past it I have not had another crash. I also think I figured out what caused my crash in Dubai, I was over-reaching on the graphics settings and I think the game dumped itself because it couldn't flush video memory fast enough. The crash occurred right before the end, and I think it tried to put too much memory.

I really want to like this game but the main thing holding me back right now are the KB&M issues. I can forgive the HUD UI being wonky as very, very few games natively support ultrawide so I'm kind of used to that issue... but I'm not used to the sluggish, swimmy mouse movement and the feeling that all my inputs are delayed a quarter second. I also noticed in Dubai that my "trigger" (LMB) would suddenly stop working after one shot. I'd shoot a guy with the tranq rifle then try to shoot a guy next to him and... nothing... click click click click click click why won't you fire you piece of shit! nothing. I had to take my finger off the RMB and lower the rifle then put my finger back on the RMB to re-aim and magically it would let me shoot. But it would only let me shoot one more time before having to do the same thing again.

I don't know what it is but reading comments on the game on both Steam forums and Reddit lead me to believe the game has serious bugs in its control scheme that only a few of us are experiencing. I really really really don't want to have to play this game with a controller as I HATE playing FPS games with controllers. Everything feels wrong to me with a controller.

I don't know what to do at this point... the game "runs" fine, I just can barely play it.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat. Granted I haven't even got passed the tutorial mission.  Control lag is weird and aiming is weird.

I don't think I passed the 2 hour limit on asking for a refund from steam.  I might pick it up later if it improves.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Extremely common issue for the train station, supposedly the patch today fixed it. Anywhere the game crashed (which was only twice for me in 8hrs yesterdays) running in windowed just through the cutscene fixed it. Mouse issues are meh, I've adjusted, but it does help if you have mouse software to just adjust the x and y independently.

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's definitely sounding like the PC Port is a dumpster fire.

Which is of course why I bought a console in the first place.  

As a guy that has owned just about every console in the past 15 years but has only been on PC for the past 6 months...
You're out of your mind. Any time you ever read about pc performance hiccups, keep in my it's still better than console. A "hiccup" for me would be dropping under 40 fps in 1440p in most games, which is nothing compared to when my ps4 will drop below 20 just struggling to output 1080. I don't pay for online, and can use any controller I want. Not to mention the "dumpster fire" that is mod support on console. PC isn't for everybody, and  there are certain things I don't mind firing up the ps4 for, but to think you're doing anything other than letting sony/microsoft fuck you for a sub par product is just ignorance. I'm guessing you have an iPhone as well and run around bragging about how hard apple screwed you that month?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted: I'm guessing you have an iPhone as well and run around bragging about how hard apple screwed you that month?
View Quote
Easy tiger. I just meant that mostly, I can put a disk in my PS4 and she works just like in any other, so I don't have to go through any bullshit for a hobby that I spend only a little bit of time on compared to my others.

I've got a Nexus6, although I don't know what that has to do with it. I don't have the time or the money to keep up with PC hardware anymore, I just want to sit on my couch, put the controller in my hand, have a little escapism and then not worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#19]
How is it on Xbox?  Buy or no buy?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Easy tiger. I just meant that mostly, I can put a disk in my PS4 and she works just like in any other, so I don't have to go through any bullshit for a hobby that I spend only a little bit of time on compared to my others.  
I've got a Nexus6, although I don't know what that has to do with it. I don't have the time or the money to keep up with PC hardware anymore, I just want to sit on my couch, put the controller in my hand, have a little escapism and then not worry about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I'm guessing you have an iPhone as well and run around bragging about how hard apple screwed you that month?

my bad, jumping between a few different sites and didn't turn the salt troll off. In any which case I used to game on PC probably about 13 or so years ago, and hadn't touched it until recently. I just picked it up again and have had all sony consoles and a few others in the time since then. I think PCs are getting simpler, and consoles are getting less console-y and are becoming more like PCs. A friend that helped me build pieced his together in about an hour 2 years ago and never touched the build again. I don't really mess with mine either and haven't had any issues. I haven't had many issues with my PS4 though either hardware wise, I've had plenty of network issues I've never had on PC.

Anyways, what I want to bring up is that sony and MS are both moving away from the traditional life cycle of their hardware and going into 2-3 year refreshers. It isn't going to be mandatory, but IMO it's easier to spend $200 to swap out a gpu on a computer than have to buy a $400 console every 2 years to stay current, as well as replace $60 controllers, pay $60/year to play online (which just increased), and pay $60 for titles for up to a year sometimes after release. I've had no reason to hate my PS4 as it has served me well, but I think it'd be worth it to look into the actual cost of what running a playstation will be in a year. At least for me with how often I'd go through controllers and how often I buy games (usually 1-2 a month) the PC would pay itself off pretty quick. I fire it up, game, driver, and OS updates download and install automatically and I'm ready to go. My PS4 updates things automatically, sit down, and I'm ready to go. IMHO, the convenience factor isn't that much different, at least compared to what it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How is it on Xbox?  Buy or no buy?
View Quote

Seems like PS4/XB1 have minor technical issues here and there, but nothing more than any other game. I don't have it on XB but I haven't seen any huge complaints about it on reddit/neogaf
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Since I had less than 2 hours of playtime with the game I am getting a refund.

If they fix the input lag and bullshit controls with aiming and the UI I will pick it back up.

This month kinda sucked... first No Mans Sky.... and now this.

If Civilization 6 sucks like Beyond Earth did I might start cutting myself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Well... fuck me running. It's SLI.

I disabled SLI and tried to run the game on a single 980 Strix instead of the SLI'ed pair and not only is the game smooth as fucking glass with solid 60+ FPS in the Prague hub, the quarter second delay in the controls and the mouse lag are GONE, and (without extensive testing) I don't detect much if any mouse acceleration. I'm almost in shock how smooth the KB&M handles now with SLI off... which means the lag I was seeing was actually some kind of weird stutter or SLI related crosstalk.

Same resolution, same graphical detail settings, same 0% mouse setting, only with SLI off and the game is like a completely different animal. I think I may start a whole new game and replay the first Dubai section now that the controls actually feel right.

Again, this may not be the fix for everyone but if you are running SLI shut it off and see if it fixes things for you as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, first No Man's Sky is almost universally viewed as a disappointment, now Mankind Divided seems to be following in its footsteps. Glad I held off on both. Maybe when they fix the bugs I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#25]
The mouse controls are seriously screwy. The sensitivity is absurdly high as the Y axis is slower than the X axis sacs it just feels weird. The fact that not a single reviewer mentioned this makes me wonder WTF they were playing.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I disabled SLI and tried to run the game on a single 980 Strix instead of the SLI'ed pair and not only is the game smooth as fucking glass with solid 60+ FPS in the Prague hub, the quarter second delay in the controls and the mouse lag are GONE, and (without extensive testing) I don't detect much if any mouse acceleration. I'm almost in shock how smooth the KB&M handles now with SLI off... which means the lag I was seeing was actually some kind of weird stutter or SLI related crosstalk.

Same resolution, same graphical detail settings, same 0% mouse setting, only with SLI off and the game is like a completely different animal. I think I may start a whole new game and replay the first Dubai section now that the controls actually feel right.

Again, this may not be the fix for everyone but if you are running SLI shut it off and see if it fixes things for you as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ok, makes me feel less crazy. KB/M isn't perfect for me but it's been perfectly playable, just had to make a tweak or two. I was wondering if I was nuts or if the kb/m stuff was really that bad.
Quoted:
Damn, first No Man's Sky is almost universally viewed as a disappointment, now Mankind Divided seems to be following in its footsteps. Glad I held off on both. Maybe when they fix the bugs I'll give it a try.

Nixxes is usually pretty good about their ports, I think it'll get cleaned up pretty fast. I'm not a fan of games shipping with bugs now a days because devs figure they'll just patch it later, but at least the game itself has all the content it should have. NMS is a huge disappointment because it flat out doesn't have content it should have had. DE is different IMO because it has some technical issues but is playable, and has content that was promised. NMS isn't worth the money because not only would I still consider it unplayable on PS4 and PC because of technical issues, but it is also missing a good chunk of what most thought they were paying for.

In any which case, the dx12 patch for DE was due in another 3 weeks, I'd imagine bugs will be ironed out by then and there will be a decent performance increase.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I replayed Dubai last night and the game is infinitely more playable now with SLI off. I hope they patch the SLI compatibility when they release the DX12 patch as I'd like to have higher framerates than 60.

I still have gripes though, notably the "single shot" nature of the tranq rifle... I'm still trying to figure out if this is a glitch or intentional... I'm thinking it is a glitch because there is no indicator in game of what you have to do. I saw several threads with other people complaining about it and I think the operating theory is that the reload animation cycle is missing or broken, causing the rifle to be single shot. Also the stretching / offset of the UI in ultrawide is glaringly wrong almost all of the time, and I don't expect them to fix it. As in Human Revolution the broken ultrawide UI makes a lot of HUD features like target tracking almost worthless because the indicator icons are a good three feet off from their points of focus. Which is odd because the menus and hacking minigame are dead nuts on, only the non static UI elements are off.

And I think the point of aim problem I was having was related to the input stutter as my aim seems a lot more aligned this time around.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I replayed Dubai last night and the game is infinitely more playable now with SLI off. I hope they patch the SLI compatibility when they release the DX12 patch as I'd like to have higher framerates than 60.

I still have gripes though, notably the "single shot" nature of the tranq rifle... I'm still trying to figure out if this is a glitch or intentional... I'm thinking it is a glitch because there is no indicator in game of what you have to do. I saw several threads with other people complaining about it and I think the operating theory is that the reload animation cycle is missing or broken, causing the rifle to be single shot. Also the stretching / offset of the UI in ultrawide is glaringly wrong almost all of the time, and I don't expect them to fix it. As in Human Revolution the broken ultrawide UI makes a lot of HUD features like target tracking almost worthless because the indicator icons are a good three feet off from their points of focus. Which is odd because the menus and hacking minigame are dead nuts on, only the non static UI elements are off.

And I think the point of aim problem I was having was related to the input stutter as my aim seems a lot more aligned this time around.
View Quote

Have not played this one yet, but in Human Revolution it was a single shot.  Shoot, reload new dart, shoot again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Have not played this one yet, but in Human Revolution it was a single shot.  Shoot, reload new dart, shoot again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, due to some other games' bolt action mechanics I noticed it reloads after zooming out, doesn't seem like a glitch, more like something that was glossed over
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

But in HR there was this whole complex animation of Jensen tilting the front of the gun down and reloading the tranq cartridge in the rifle (automatically, you shoot and the game automatically went into the reload animation if you had rounds remaining), and the "available" shots indicator was always either a 1 or a 0.

In MD the "available" shots indicator on the tranq rifle starts at 6, and the weapon has a very visible detatchable magazine and semi-automatic looking bolt handle on the left side that Jensen manipulates when you do a "reload". When you shoot you get one shot then -nothing-... no click click noises, no indicators that you are "empty" (as your available shots drop from 6 to 5) and need to perform some sort of manual reload action, no "cooldown" or other nerfing notice. All you do is let go of the RMB to lower the scope then press it again to raise the scope and viola you can shoot one more time. No "bolt cycling" animation, just Jensen lowering and raising the rifle. So either the glitch is the animation of Jensen cycling the action to chamber the next round is bugged or missing, or the gun isn't properly operating in semi automatic mode.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#31]
On xbox you are given the option to use the new controls, Human Revolution controls, standard FPS (COD) controls, and a couple of others.  I can appreciate that.  Went with standard FPS controls because that's what I'm used to using, aside from Fallout of course.  It's an OK game so far.  I enjoyed the first two games and I know it isn't popular, but I really liked Invisible War back in the day.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
so far the only things bugigng me is the keyboard controls I don't like the new augmentation/inventory/weapon wheels. Other than that its fine...I kinda missed HR's version of the health and biocell bar though
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
so far the only things bugigng me is the keyboard controls I don't like the new augmentation/inventory/weapon wheels. Other than that its fine...I kinda missed HR's version of the health and biocell bar though
View Quote

I wish the health and energy was together like it was in HR... and I wish the radar / map was at the bottom of the screen and zoomed out more so you could see more. They give you options for discrete HUD item fade, why not give us options on where we want those items on the HUD?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a few complaints about the game/ui. But over all I'm enjoying it.

Here is what I'm running it with.

Windows 10
MSI GTX970
Intel I5 6600K
32GB of Ram
MSI "Gaming Mode" OC

High Settings:
Textures:Ultra
Quality: Ultra
MSAA: Off
Vertical Sync: Off

Getting 60FPS with no issues. The latest update seems like it boosted my FPS a bit.

On the benchmark I averaged 55 FPS. The start of it with all the lights dragged me down to 45 FPS as the lowest.

In game performance is totally different though. In crowded city areas I'm always above 60FPS and even at 70 sometimes.

Not bad for a mini itx build
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

???  

Most Deus Ex reviews I have read have been pretty positive, and I personally like it too.  It has bugs, but it's not a disaster like no man's sky.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I am a huge fan of the Deus Ex games.

Bought the new one.

Realized my 5yr old PC isn't going to cut it.

So, fellas.............give me a recommendation on a new PC.

My current machine is a Digital Storm build, so I am willing to throw a few $$$$ at this.

And, no, I am not smart enough to build my own.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Bought the new one.

My current machine is a Digital Storm build, so I am willing to throw a few $$$$ at this.

View Quote

I can't see anybody recommending a prebuilt. If you can build an AR you can build a PC, very similar on the difficulty scale. I really didn't think I could but when I sat down and knocked it out it was a lot easier than I thought. If you play around with Pcpartpicker you'll see that unless you get a killer deal you'll be spending 2-300 more on a prebuilt than piecing it together yourself and with lower quality parts. What do you have right now? Can you not just upgrade it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can't see anybody recommending a prebuilt. If you can build an AR you can build a PC, very similar on the difficulty scale. I really didn't think I could but when I sat down and knocked it out it was a lot easier than I thought. If you play around with Pcpartpicker you'll see that unless you get a killer deal you'll be spending 2-300 more on a prebuilt than piecing it together yourself and with lower quality parts. What do you have right now? Can you not just upgrade it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought the new one.

A five year old high-end build would hopefully have a 2500k or 2600k, and would only need a modern GPU to run any game.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A five year old high-end build would hopefully have a 2500k or 2600k, and would only need a modern GPU to run any game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought the new one.

My current system specs.
Intel i5 2500k 3.30ghz
ASUS P8P67-m Pro
Hard drive 1TB
8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GB

Did the windows upgrade about 6 months ago, no issues.

I knew you guys were going to recommend to build or upgrade, and while I am build ARs and do damn near any automotive repair. Working on my PC scares the shit out of me!

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My current system specs.
Intel i5 2500k 3.30ghz
ASUS P8P67-m Pro
Hard drive 1TB
8GB DDR3

I knew you guys were going to recommend to build or upgrade, and while I am build ARs and do damn near any automotive repair. Working on my PC scares the shit out of me!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought the new one.

My current system specs.
Intel i5 2500k 3.30ghz
ASUS P8P67-m Pro
Hard drive 1TB
8GB DDR3

What power supply do you have?  If yours has enough juice, the only thing you need is a new GPU; that 2500k doesn't give up anything in gaming performance compared to modern CPUs, especially if you overclock it!  2500k is still a beast of a chip that damn near matches the gaming performance of a 6600k when both are at stock speeds, but is capable of overclocking to 4.7+GHz with a cheap $30-50 heatsink upgrade.  The 2500k will run any game out right now at stock speed, and will likely still run any game for the next 5+ years when OC'd.

Check out one of the many youtube video guides on installing GPUs, and if you still feel nervous about risking new hardware, maybe try pulling your old card and then reinstalling it first to get your feet wet.  

If you are just running a 60hz 1080p monitor and want to save some money, I would try to find a used R9 290/290X (see benchmark) if your PSU has enough output to handle it.  They seem to be available locally on craigslist for $150-175, but the market in your AO may be different.

EDIT: another DX performance review showing an R9 290 giving a strong showing for its age.  The R9 290/290X is equivalent to a 390/390X but with 4GB of VRAM.  Old reviews of the 290/290X don't show its strength with modern mature drivers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What power supply do you have?  If yours has enough juice, the only thing you need is a new GPU; that 2500k doesn't give up anything in gaming performance compared to modern CPUs, especially if you overclock it!  2500k is still a beast of a chip that damn near matches the gaming performance of a 6600k when both are at stock speeds, but is capable of overclocking to 4.7+GHz with a cheap $30-50 heatsink upgrade.  The 2500k will run any game out right now at stock speed, and will likely still run any game for the next 5+ years when OC'd.

Check out one of the many youtube video guides on installing GPUs, and if you still feel nervous about risking new hardware, maybe try pulling your old card and then reinstalling it first to get your feet wet.  

If you are just running a 60hz 1080p monitor and want to save some money, I would try to find a used R9 290/290X (see benchmark) if your PSU has enough output to handle it.  They seem to be available locally on craigslist for $150-175, but the market in your AO may be different.

EDIT: another DX performance review showing an R9 290 giving a strong showing for its age.  The R9 290/290X is equivalent to a 390/390X but with 4GB of VRAM.  Old reviews of the 290/290X don't show its strength with modern mature drivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought the new one.

My current system specs.
Intel i5 2500k 3.30ghz
ASUS P8P67-m Pro
Hard drive 1TB
8GB DDR3

My power supply is an 800w Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Get a new GPU, and either put it in yourself or pay a local shop to do it for you.  Other upgrades to consider for more general performance would be a solid state drive (HUGE improvement in loading times), 16GB of ram, and overclocking the CPU.  Your CPU has enough horsepower to handle any GPU up to and including a single GTX 1080.  You wouldn't see a significant improvement in framerate by upgrading the whole system unless you went with something like an i7 Extreme and multiple GPUs
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Get a new GPU, and either put it in yourself or pay a local shop to do it for you.  Other upgrades to consider for more general performance would be a solid state drive (HUGE improvement in loading times), 16GB of ram, and overclocking the CPU.  Your CPU has enough horsepower to handle any GPU up to and including a single GTX 1080.  You wouldn't see a significant improvement in framerate by upgrading the whole system unless you went with something like an i7 Extreme and multiple GPUs
View Quote

I thank you, greatly, for your advice!

I will proceed with your suggestions.

I knew I would want to get an SSD eventually, and to me, since I love this game franchise so much, I am willing to spend the coin and get my machine upgraded.

Again, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My current system specs.
Intel i5 2500k 3.30ghz
ASUS P8P67-m Pro
Hard drive 1TB
8GB DDR3

View Quote

IMO find out what your mother board supports for memory and max it out.
Then pickup any of the vid cards others have mentioned here. The 980ti has just dropped in price or a gtx 1060 would be cheap and would do what you need.
If you have spare money after that a good quality fast read/write ssd and clone your hdd onto it.

I am running pretty much the same system though.
Only I have an SSD, 16gb of memory, and I have 2x 550ti's running in SLI.

And it sucks to hear that there are SLI issues with this game.
I was really really hoping the 2 vid cards would get me through one more new release
Off to search for an sli fix...
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I keep reading rumors that either Nixxes or nVidia are supposed to be addressing the SLI problems. I've also heard that using a different SLI profile will net you slightly better results.

I just went in and set it to single GPU in the program preferences and was done with it. If they pull their heads out of their ass and fix the SLI profile then yay... but all it will get me is probably another 20 fps, and the game is already running at a solid 60 for me on one card.

I REALLY wish they would fix the fucking ultrawide support for this game. I can tolerate the 16x9 overlays but the drastically incorrect HUD waypoints and target tracking is awful. I usually dump praxis points into target tracking as it makes your life a million times easier when you are actually trying to play the game the way the creators want you to play it (sneaky). And it doesn't help matters when they outright nerf the fuck out of your radar to start with... one praxis point for "normal" radar range my ass.

And for a bitch that is completely not graphics or performance related, has anyone been trapped in an alert infinity yet? I got stuck in my first one just now. I accidentally wandered through a duct into the secret squirrel front office and spooked the guy at the desk. Alert status, cops called, manhunt is on... I run off and hide... alert goes to "searching"... but the cops are somehow "panic"-ing the citizens in the streets. So when the search phase ends the citizens are still "panic"-ing, and somehow this re-triggers the search phase. I sat in an alley crouched down looking at a tree for almost ten minutes watching this cycle keep perpetuating itself. I had to eventually make a run for it with cloak on, make it halfway down the street, spook more cops (seriously Prague there are two cops every five feet for fucks sake) and then finally hide in the basement of Tech Noir until the alert FINALLY ended.

And dear god is this game slathered with James Cameron movie references. Tech Noir, Frost and Dietrich (off the boards man!), the M-40 grenade box, and on and on. Every time I think they are reeling it in, they sneak even more into the game. Its almost where's waldo now for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#46]
The game wouldnt even run if I turned off sli.
I see a cheapy gtx1060 in my future.
My 2 550ti's have hung in there far longer than I expected.
At least they had no issues running fallout4
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm playing it and having fun. No problems. I wouldn't even know the game offered microtransactions if no one had told me. Since they shit they offer to sell me is shit I can manipulate with cheatengine I don't really care. It's a fun game but I feel like sneaking around ventilation ducts is far more effective than it has any right to be.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#48]
The nVidia patch from yesterday appears to have fixed the ultrawide UI stretching, and unless I'm hallucinating it gave a few more FPS in performance as well.

SLI still seems laggy to me, so I'm leaving it on single card.

But the fix to the ultrawide UI is a godsend.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:42:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I keep reading rumors that either Nixxes or nVidia are supposed to be addressing the SLI problems. I've also heard that using a different SLI profile will net you slightly better results.

I just went in and set it to single GPU in the program preferences and was done with it. If they pull their heads out of their ass and fix the SLI profile then yay... but all it will get me is probably another 20 fps, and the game is already running at a solid 60 for me on one card.

I REALLY wish they would fix the fucking ultrawide support for this game. I can tolerate the 16x9 overlays but the drastically incorrect HUD waypoints and target tracking is awful. I usually dump praxis points into target tracking as it makes your life a million times easier when you are actually trying to play the game the way the creators want you to play it (sneaky). And it doesn't help matters when they outright nerf the fuck out of your radar to start with... one praxis point for "normal" radar range my ass.

And for a bitch that is completely not graphics or performance related, has anyone been trapped in an alert infinity yet? I got stuck in my first one just now. I accidentally wandered through a duct into the secret squirrel front office and spooked the guy at the desk. Alert status, cops called, manhunt is on... I run off and hide... alert goes to "searching"... but the cops are somehow "panic"-ing the citizens in the streets. So when the search phase ends the citizens are still "panic"-ing, and somehow this re-triggers the search phase. I sat in an alley crouched down looking at a tree for almost ten minutes watching this cycle keep perpetuating itself. I had to eventually make a run for it with cloak on, make it halfway down the street, spook more cops (seriously Prague there are two cops every five feet for fucks sake) and then finally hide in the basement of Tech Noir until the alert FINALLY ended.

And dear god is this game slathered with James Cameron movie references. Tech Noir, Frost and Dietrich (off the boards man!), the M-40 grenade box, and on and on. Every time I think they are reeling it in, they sneak even more into the game. Its almost where's waldo now for me.
View Quote

I've noticed it too. MacCreedy might be The Thing reference as well.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#50]
it has microtransactions? where?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top