Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 2:25:50 PM EDT
So, what company makes good headsets, mice, and keyboards?

Razer headsets suck and they like to break after about 6 months ( multiple sets have done this to me ), but their mice are decent, at least their older mice. No clue about the newer stuff. I have an older Naga Hex that's been good to me, but starting to go out.

Logitech headsets are worse than Razer headsets. Currently waiting on customer support to reply to my ticket for my second set of faulty G933s in 4 months. My G510 has never failed me though.

So, who's left out there that has great products and good customer support?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Razer headsets suck and they like to break after about 6 months ( multiple sets have done this to me ), but their mice are decent, at least their older mice. No clue about the newer stuff. I have an older Naga Hex that's been good to me, but starting to go out.

Logitech headsets are worse than Razer headsets. Currently waiting on customer support to reply to my ticket for my second set of faulty G933s in 4 months. My G510 has never failed me though.

View Quote

I have a corsair K70 vengeance keyboard and a Corsair m65 PRO mouse that I'm very happy with. I haven't had to use corsair support, but judging by their subreddit their support is generally some of the best. For a keyboard I would stick to corsair, razer, logitech, and maybe g.skill. I think there are more options for mice. Logitech, corsair, razer, steelseries, cougar, and  roccat are safe bets.

As far as headsets go I think that "gaming" headsets are an absolute and total waste. They're usually half the quality and twice the price. I would get an actual pair of decent headphones like the audio technica m50x, sennheiser HD 598, etc. Here are a couple things worth reading off reddit IMHO.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4nabvv/gaming_audio_and_you_why_995_of_gaming_headsets/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3tu9gl/guide_headphones_gaming/

Idk what your budget it, but I got a pair of sennheiser HD 558s for somehwere around 75 I believe, and bought a zalman clip on mic for $6 and the sound/mic is easily twice the headset that my $120 pair of turtle beaches could ever be, or my sony golds, etc etc. The only gaming headset I've tried that isn't absolute and utter garbage is the Hyper Cloud IIs. But if you're gaming at a desktop and don't need wireless I'd strongly suggest an actual set of headphones since they can pull double duty for gaming, movies, music, etc. Gaming sets usually are all bass and no sound stage. As far as the mic goes the zalman is fairly messy but it was $6 and better than all the inputs on other headsets I've owned. Next check I'm replacing it with either a vmoda boompro or antlion modmic. If funds allow I'd pick up sennheiser hd 598s and a modmic and call it a day.

edit: tl;dr, hyper cloud if you want an all in one for 70-90. Grab one of the set/mic combos in above links if you want nicer sound, better warranty, build quality, etc. Avoid wireless like the plague unless you're gaming from a couch or something in which case logitech is your best bet (which already isn't working out).

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a corsair K70 vengeance keyboard and a Corsair m65 PRO mouse that I'm very happy with. I haven't had to use corsair support, but judging by their subreddit their support is generally some of the best. For a keyboard I would stick to corsair, razer, logitech, and maybe g.skill. I think there are more options for mice. Logitech, corsair, razer, steelseries, cougar, and  roccat are safe bets.

As far as headsets go I think that "gaming" headsets are an absolute and total waste. They're usually half the quality and twice the price. I would get an actual pair of decent headphones like the audio technica m50x, sennheiser HD 598, etc. Here are a couple things worth reading off reddit IMHO.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4nabvv/gaming_audio_and_you_why_995_of_gaming_headsets/

Idk what your budget it, but I got a pair of sennheiser HD 558s for somehwere around 75 I believe, and bought a zalman clip on mic for $6 and the sound/mic is easily twice the headset that my $120 pair of turtle beaches could ever be, or my sony golds, etc etc. The only gaming headset I've tried that isn't absolute and utter garbage is the Hyper Cloud IIs. But if you're gaming at a desktop and don't need wireless I'd strongly suggest an actual set of headphones since they can pull double duty for gaming, movies, music, etc. Gaming sets usually are all bass and no sound stage. As far as the mic goes the zalman is fairly messy but it was $6 and better than all the inputs on other headsets I've owned. Next check I'm replacing it with either a vmoda boompro or antlion modmic. If funds allow I'd pick up sennheiser hd 598s and a modmic and call it a day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm completely done with Razer and Logitech. I doubt I'll ever buy another one of their products. As for the separate mic, unless they come in wireless, I'll stick to a headset with a mic. The sound quality of my G933 headsets is pretty good and I have no complaints about that. Build quality is my issue with them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm completely done with Razer and Logitech. I doubt I'll ever buy another one of their products. As for the separate mic, unless they come in wireless, I'll stick to a headset with a mic. The sound quality of my G933 headsets is pretty good and I have no complaints about that. Build quality is my issue with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, like I said, be prepared because Logitech generally is regarded as having better build quality out of the wireless headset manufacturers.  If I were to go with something other than Logitech I'd look at the following in no particular order:
Corsair (void, 15000, etc, all cost about the same). 2 year warranty on all headset products and if you run into any issues with a possible RMA they have a couple support guys on reddit that take care of people really fast. I don't own their headsets but I have a cooler, a few fans, keyboard, and mouse by them and the build quality appears pretty good and I haven't had any issues with any of their products. Their software is meh, not the best, but not the worst. Sound quality is apparently middle of the road, but ergonomics are decent and can be found on sale for 65-70 I believe.

Sennheiser (Game one). Lots more expensive than the corsair, but sennheiser generally has very good build and sound quality for the price IMO. Highly reviewed. I haven't had any issue with either of my headsets or ear buds from them and got years of use out of all of their products.

Astro A50. Good sound quality but can be expensive. Good build quality, not really any cons except for software issues here and there, generally regarded as the best. At about $300 though they are quite expensive for what you're getting.

Steelseries H wireless. Similar quality as the A50, similar price as well, decent overall headset but once again expensive.

The best all around headset will be the Logitech. Since you're not going that route MAYBE the corsair at that price point. If you want something better without wires you'll be forking over a hefty pile of cash. For under 100 wireless I'd go with the Corsair VOID. For around $150 the Sennheiser game one or game zero are the best bet. For $300 the Astro A50 is probably your best call. Once again, keep in mind if you want wireless you're paying a huge premium since while  most of these will have nice sound it isn't anything better sound/build quality wise than a pair of wired cans for half the price.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
What I have (and really like)

Headset - Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X

$250 from Audio46

Mouse:

Logitech G502 Proteus

Keyboard:

Logitech G710+

Headset is comfortable to me. Huge drivers. Mine is open-air, but they also have a closed back version as well if you play in a loud area or wish not to disturb others. I cannot comment on sound because I don't have audiophillic ears. Honestly (to me), the sound from the Audio Technica headset sounds similar to my Astro A40 headset, but the comfort on the AT is alot better and feels lighter and way more durable. Sound card in my system is a Sound Blaster Zx if it even matters.

The G502 mouse is comfortable to me. It doesn't have a ton of buttons on the side, which I don't really need. Comes in handy as a PTT button.

I like my keyboard, but I kinda like the newer version, the G910 Orion Spark/Spectrum better. I may get one of those soon.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can recommend Ducky and DAS keyboards, and Steelseries mice.

At home on my gaming PC, I use a Ducky Shine 3 and a Steelseries Rival mouse.  Neither one is really anything flashy or special, but they're both very solid and work well.

I use a DAS Keyboards Model S at work.  Again, nothing special or flashy, but it's a quality keyboard.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never heard of DAS or Ducky before. Those DAS keyboards look good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Audiotechnica for headset

Astro mix amp

Razer chroma for everything else

/thread
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a ducky shine3 keyboard and it is the shit.  DAS keyboards are also very good.  Whatever you get, it should be mechanical, preferably with Cherry keys because those have the most customization options right now because they are the most popular and have been for some time. I prefer the cherry brown keys, but others like blues or other colors more. Ultimately, as long as it is a mechanical keyboard of some type you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Steel series wireless headset, I'll never have a wired headset again.  I was worried about them being less durable, but they've lasted over a couple of years so far.

Razer naga mouse, specifically because I like the additional buttons.  Otherwise I'd probably just use the Logitech G500, it was pretty solid.

Steel series keyboard, it's been pretty solid so far.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can also use an Antlion ModMic. Detachable boom mic that turns any pair of headphones into a "headset".
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got a new set of Astro A40 TR's and they are very nice. Upgraded from some $50 logitechs.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Das keyboard,

Logitech G602 mouse.

Turtle Beach Z60 headset.

Does everything I need it to.  Including 7.1 sound.  

I like Logitech mice, I like Razer mice, but the Razer mouse I had wound up with a bulged battery (it's damn near ten years old) and I haven't gotten around to buying a new battery.  The older logitech mouse I had lasted five years and still works, I just got tired of the wheel not working quite right and replaced it with the 602.  

The Das keyboard is bulletproof.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't write off either completely, at least not for their keyboards and mice.  The Razer DA is still one of the best no frills gaming mice available.  I recently switched to a Logi G502 as it has several more buttons in easy reach.  

Whatever keyboard you go with, be sure it's a mech.  they're great for gaming, and even better for typing.  educate yourself on the different switch types and try each.  There's a difference in feel/sound between cherry, blue, brown, etc....My pick is the Razer Blackwidor ultimate, though they have a stealth model with brown switches if you'd prefer it to be less noisy.  

I use an old Astro A40 for my headset, and the mixamp is good but the cans themselves don't review well edited see article below.  The kingston HyperX headset has been getting rave reviews for quite a few years.

Here's a good, recent headset roundup.  
http://www.pcgamer.com/we-tested-23-mainstream-gaming-headsets-to-find-the-best/
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can also use an Antlion ModMic. Detachable boom mic that turns any pair of headphones into a "headset".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The mic on my ath-adg1x is the best headset mic I've ever heard. Sound is clear and smooth

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck logitech I have been through 6 g930 headsets in 2 years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wouldn't write off either completely, at least not for their keyboards and mice.  The Razer DA is still one of the best no frills gaming mice available.  I recently switched to a Logi G502 as it has several more buttons in easy reach.  

Whatever keyboard you go with, be sure it's a mech.  they're great for gaming, and even better for typing.  educate yourself on the different switch types and try each.  There's a difference in feel/sound between cherry, blue, brown, etc....My pick is the Razer Blackwidor ultimate, though they have a stealth model with brown switches if you'd prefer it to be less noisy.  

I use an old Astro A40 for my headset, and the mixamp is good but the cans themselves don't review well edited see article below.  The kingston HyperX headset has been getting rave reviews for quite a few years.

http://www.pcgamer.com/we-tested-23-mainstream-gaming-headsets-to-find-the-best/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for mech keyboard, I think cherry mx is the way to go personally. Decent all around
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, like I said, be prepared because Logitech generally is regarded as having better build quality out of the wireless headset manufacturers.  If I were to go with something other than Logitech I'd look at the following in no particular order:
Corsair (void, 15000, etc, all cost about the same). 2 year warranty on all headset products and if you run into any issues with a possible RMA they have a couple support guys on reddit that take care of people really fast. I don't own their headsets but I have a cooler, a few fans, keyboard, and mouse by them and the build quality appears pretty good and I haven't had any issues with any of their products. Their software is meh, not the best, but not the worst. Sound quality is apparently middle of the road, but ergonomics are decent and can be found on sale for 65-70 I believe.

Sennheiser (Game one). Lots more expensive than the corsair, but sennheiser generally has very good build and sound quality for the price IMO. Highly reviewed. I haven't had any issue with either of my headsets or ear buds from them and got years of use out of all of their products.

Astro A50. Good sound quality but can be expensive. Good build quality, not really any cons except for software issues here and there, generally regarded as the best. At about $300 though they are quite expensive for what you're getting.

Steelseries H wireless. Similar quality as the A50, similar price as well, decent overall headset but once again expensive.

The best all around headset will be the Logitech. Since you're not going that route MAYBE the corsair at that price point. If you want something better without wires you'll be forking over a hefty pile of cash. For under 100 wireless I'd go with the Corsair VOID. For around $150 the Sennheiser game one or game zero are the best bet. For $300 the Astro A50 is probably your best call. Once again, keep in mind if you want wireless you're paying a huge premium since while  most of these will have nice sound it isn't anything better sound/build quality wise than a pair of wired cans for half the price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll chime in specifically to the Astro headset, DO NOT waste your money with them! Having been an owner of two prior Astro products, both A40's, I was happy with performance and of course the outstanding build quality. My primary reason for purchasing my first A40 was that the Turtle Beach headsets, while excellent sound and comfort, absolutely sucked in terms of build quality, as many already know. When the A50's came out I was hesitant as the first reviews were mixed, but I decided to pull the trigger, and I purchased a set. I literally used the things maybe a total of 10-12 times over the course of a year. I actually went back to my X42 (Turtle Beach) as they were more comfortable and the sound quality was MUCH better, as was the mic.

I had decided to sell the A50's to a friend who wanted a set even though I was honest and told the guy to go with a different brand or at least the A40's, but he was insistent on buying them. I took them out as I knew there was likely an update to the firmware and sure enough there was, to which I set it up and everything seemed fine until I went to power the headset up and thats where it got interesting. I couldn't get the unit to power up, so I tried recharging it and the different "fixes" suggested after creating a ticket with the tech dept. at Astro. I had ZERO luck, as nothing worked, and I figured surely they'll have some suggestions as to how to fix this as they were essentially brand freaking new. I literally charged the unit about 3 times during the time I had the set and I was sure to completely discharge the battery before charging.

So after countless emails back and forth with their "tech" department and attempts to talk to someone other than a CSR who was absolutely NO help and wouldn't direct me to someone I could plea my case to, I was told that since the unit was out of warranty (which I had purchased the extended) there was nothing that could be done, so my $300.00 headset was basically a paperweight at this point. I tried finding a third party that could fix the problem, which was likely just the battery,  but  with this headset replacing the battery was not a simple process. I still have and use one of the A40's with mix amp when I do PC gaming and it works fine, but Turtle Beach has recently released some very nice headsets and are also a bit more expensive and close to Astro offerings, and they've apparently addressed the build quality issues found in previous models.

So basically, if you want a product that a company charges a premium for, yet doesn't stand behind in any capacity after your warranty is up, buy another brand, but as has been touched on in this thread, there are other brands that are far superior to the ASTRO's, and the support of the company aside, I can honestly say that they were nowhere near as good in terms of sound quality or as far as the mic was concerned, as less expensive offerings from Turtle Beach. My recommendation is to browse youtube for reviews on models that fit your needs/budget, and you'll surely find a set that works great.

Goodluck

and

F ASTRO!  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll chime in specifically to the Astro headset, DO NOT waste your money with them! Having been an owner of two prior Astro products, both A40's, I was happy with performance and of course the outstanding build quality. My primary reason for purchasing my first A40 was that the Turtle Beach headsets, while excellent sound and comfort, absolutely sucked in terms of build quality, as many already know. When the A50's came out I was hesitant as the first reviews were mixed, but I decided to pull the trigger, and I purchased a set. I literally used the things maybe a total of 10-12 times over the course of a year. I actually went back to my X42 (Turtle Beach) as they were more comfortable and the sound quality was MUCH better, as was the mic.

I had decided to sell the A50's to a friend who wanted a set even though I was honest and told the guy to go with a different brand or at least the A40's, but he was insistent on buying them. I took them out as I knew there was likely an update to the firmware and sure enough there was, to which I set it up and everything seemed fine until I went to power the headset up and thats where it got interesting. I couldn't get the unit to power up, so I tried recharging it and the different "fixes" suggested after creating a ticket with the tech dept. at Astro. I had ZERO luck, as nothing worked, and I figured surely they'll have some suggestions as to how to fix this as they were essentially brand freaking new. I literally charged the unit about 3 times during the time I had the set and I was sure to completely discharge the battery before charging.

So after countless emails back and forth with their "tech" department and attempts to talk to someone other than a CSR who was absolutely NO help and wouldn't direct me to someone I could plea my case to, I was told that since the unit was out of warranty (which I had purchased the extended) there was nothing that could be done, so my $300.00 headset was basically a paperweight at this point. I tried finding a third party that could fix the problem, which was likely just the battery,  but  with this headset replacing the battery was not a simple process. I still have and use one of the A40's with mix amp when I do PC gaming and it works fine, but Turtle Beach has recently released some very nice headsets and are also a bit more expensive and close to Astro offerings, and they've apparently addressed the build quality issues found in previous models.

So basically, if you want a product that a company charges a premium for, yet doesn't stand behind in any capacity after your warranty is up, buy another brand, but as has been touched on in this thread, there are other brands that are far superior to the ASTRO's, and the support of the company aside, I can honestly say that they were nowhere near as good in terms of sound quality or as far as the mic was concerned, as less expensive offerings from Turtle Beach. My recommendation is to browse youtube for reviews on models that fit your needs/budget, and you'll surely find a set that works great.

Goodluck

and

F ASTRO!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goodluck

and

F ASTRO!  

There are stories about quality on every wireless manufacturer, which is why at least for PC it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go any other route than high quality wired/separate mic... or at least the hyper clouds
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Logitech G502 mouse for me. I loved my G9X but I ended up accidentally cutting the cable, it's in my "eventually solder back together" pile. The 502 is so good I might just stick with it.

I love my Corsair K70 keyboard with Cherry Reds. I liked my old version with the blue LEDs better, but they died at a CRAZY rate so they sent me a new one with red LEDs. Doesn't match my decor as well but it works

I've been perfectly happy with my Logitech G430 headset AND my Razer headsets (all are extremely comfortable) but I get that some people don't like them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top