Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only reference that has been made to RX 480 CF vs GTX1080 is that the two RX480's are faster (~10-12%) while being more efficient (used less power than the GTX1080).
View Quote

There was a chart posted online that showed 2 480 CF coming in just under a single 1080. Will try to find it again.

EDIT:

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]

RX480 @ 1.4ghz

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

RX480 @ 1.4ghz

http://i.imgur.com/vlvcbxM.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nice

The 8GB model will be mine when it finally launches.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice

Guess I missed it; what's the 8GB model expected to retail for?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

If their old pricing structure is any guide, probably $249.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice

$200 RX480 4GB
$230-$250 RX480 8GB (I'm guessing $249 but a lot of people have been saying $229)

My own speculation-
+$250-$300 8GB partner custom cards/coolers with factory overclocks
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Not bad. I may have to spring for the 8GB myself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Man these AMD cards are looking good.

My AMD stock is has gone up several dollars as well recently. I bought it around $3 a share maybe 3 years ago and it has done very poorly until now. It hit $5 for a moment.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered a XFX RX480 8GB from NewEgg. Good thing my Internet works 10 miles of the coast of California.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just ordered a XFX RX480 8GB from NewEgg. Good thing my Internet works 10 miles of the coast of California.
View Quote

Sold out already.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sold out already.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sold out already.  

Gotta set those email alerts up!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
As of right now this is the way it's looking until the AiB cards arrive.

For the 4gb version if it's between the 480 and 970 go with the 480. If it's between the 8gb version and the 980 go with the discounted 980.

And don't expect to OC the reference card at all as it's suspected to not adhere to the PCIe spec and could damage the MoBo by drawing too much power through it.

RX480 fails PCI-E specification

OC results:

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sold out already.  

Those alerts are useless and Newegg never sends  them. Had been signed up for alerts and the card I wanted went in stock 2 different times. Luckily, I was using Nowinstock.com to get my 1080 SC.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I think my cred as an AMD lover is pretty established here and I can not/will not recommend this card to people until its issues are sorted out.  Take that for whatever it's worth.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those alerts are useless and Newegg never sends  them. Had been signed up for alerts and the card I wanted went in stock 2 different times. Luckily, I was using Nowinstock.com to get my 1080 SC.
View Quote

I had a Newegg alert this morning in my inbox while they were still in stock.  It was for the Sapphire 8GB card.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think my cred as an AMD lover is pretty established here and I can not/will not recommend this card to people until its issues are sorted out.  Take that for whatever it's worth.
View Quote

Well, that sucks.

What issues other than the overclocking are there?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, that sucks.
What issues other than the overclocking are there?
View Quote

It was drawing over the recommended power limit from the pci-e slot even at stock settings.  That's not a minor problem, since if it fries your PCI-E slot your motherboard manufacturer will tell you to pound sand since it's out of spec.  I expect them to either limit the power draw through an update, slowing down the clock speed, or do an outright recall.  The latter being the less likely of the two.

ETA

Tom's Hardware Review of The Power Consumption
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Ugh, not good. A lot of that was above my limited tech knowledge, but I got enough to know I don't want to take that risk.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like even if they correct the issue it will be at the expense of their targeted performance range.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ugh, not good. A lot of that was above my limited tech knowledge, but I got enough to know I don't want to take that risk.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like even if they correct the issue it will be at the expense of their targeted performance range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm glad I waited for the reviews before pulling the trigger, this redditor tested the exact card I was going to buy and here are his results:

Prelude514 9 points 19 minutes ago*
Purchased a Sapphire 8GB RX 480 today. After reading up about this issue, I decided to test for myself. I rigged up a riser to be able to measure 12V current with an AMP clamp from both the PCI-e slot, and 6 pin connector.
This isn't anywhere near being scientific, but I think it's accurate enough to confirm the problem. Running stock clocks with stock voltage while running ethereum mining = 83w from the 6 pin connector, and 88w from the PCI-e slot. That's a violation of both ATX and PCI specs. I don't particularly mind it violating the ATX spec as a quality 6 pin connector can provide 200w without issue. The PCI-e slot, on the other hand, is an issue. I bought 4 of these cards today, and intend (intended?) on setting them up on a Rampage 5 motherboard. I don't think even a top end motherboard like that will be able to supply 352w to the PCI-e slots, even using the 4 pin Molex. Wish Asus had used a 6 pin instead..
If AMD can provide a BIOS update for the cards that forces 75% of the current through the 6 pin, problem solved. If that's not possible through software, then these cards should be recalled or they should have a warning label on them about possible motherboard damage when using crossfire.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Well poop. Though this is why I never buy new tech
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had a Newegg alert this morning in my inbox while they were still in stock.  It was for the Sapphire 8GB card.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Multiple posters on Newegg had the same complaint as me. Newegg's reply to me about not getting the alerts I signed up for, was to pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Multiple posters on Newegg had the same complaint as me. Newegg's reply to me about not getting the alerts I signed up for, was to pound sand.
View Quote

That's really shitty
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Old tech, same speed, same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043&cm_re=r9_290-_-14-202-043-_-Product
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For the 4gb version if it's between the 480 and 970 go with the 480. If it's between the 8gb version and the 980 go with the discounted 980.

And don't expect to OC the reference card at all as it's suspected to not adhere to the PCIe spec and could damage the MoBo by drawing too much power through it.

OC results:
http://youtu.be/C24vLB6oYyU

View Quote

Ummmm.... not too sure about that if you are planning on running any DX12 games in the next few years... RX480 has a significant lead in DX12 over the GTX980 even when using results from heavily Nvidia biased DX12 games,
SkyMTL has never really been too nice to AMD, so when he praises their new card's DX12 performance there has to be some merit.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72889-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

Also the power issue has been blown out of proportion...
Amperage, not watts, is traveling over the connectors and being requested by the GPU. As the small variances in voltage happen across the system, mainly between the PSU and motherboard, it is making sure the card is receiving the power it needs to run stable.
There are certain cards that appear to have an issue, but it is only affecting a very small slice of the launch supply.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ummmm.... not too sure about that if you are planning on running any DX12 games in the next few years... RX480 has a significant lead in DX12 over the GTX980 even when using results from heavily Nvidia biased DX12 games,
SkyMTL has never really been too nice to AMD, so when he praises their new card's DX12 performance there has to be some merit.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72889-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

Amperage, not watts, is traveling over the connectors and being requested by the GPU. As the small variances in voltage happen across the system, mainly between the PSU and motherboard, it is making sure the card is receiving the power it needs to run stable.
There are certain cards that appear to have an issue, but it is only affecting a very small slice of the launch supply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OC results:

LOL, wat?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#27]
My xfx card is going to show up today. Can't wait to burn my mother board down
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Gonna go all Cersie Lannister on that bitch?  

Seriously though, I hope it works great for you. I'd be in the same boat if they hadn't been sold out.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL, wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OC results:

LOL, wat?

Yeah, I laughed too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Seriously though, I hope it works great for you. I'd be in the same boat if they hadn't been sold out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know it

This is my poor old current MoBo. I guess the XFX card I bought from newegg is OC'ed and has a backing plate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes you got to pay to play

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old tech, same speed, same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043&cm_re=r9_290-_-14-202-043-_-Product

It wouldn't fit in my tower (only 10.5" of space ). That's why I never got one before
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, I laughed too.
View Quote

Not sure why you are laughing... what I said was completely true.
Current is being passed over the wires and through the connectors.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I laughed too.

You don't understand what current, amps, and watts are and the relationships between them.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You don't understand what current, amps, and watts are and the relationships between them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I laughed too.

Can I ask what your background in electronics is?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I laughed too.

Lol
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I read this hole post and didn't understand anything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I laughed too.

What's yours?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What's yours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I laughed too.

What's yours?

I'm an engineer who designs, builds, and operates custom electronics testing equipment and I'm probably being too pedantic, but he's correct in that no one would describe the wattage being drawn by a device as travelling through cables/connectors.  

But yes, if the GPU draws more power then a correspondingly higher amount of current will go through the power cables (assuming the 12VDC supply remains fixed), and these two are related.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Official Statement from AMD:

"As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8 Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

View Quote

Link
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#42]
The RX 480 series might not be a big deal to some of us, but for AMD it's a big deal. It's a much more efficient card that is solidly mid level at a great price compared to its performance. They will own the mid level market unless nvidia steps in with something pretty big. The RX480 cards are a great deal for what you're getting, you have to admit it. AIB partners will no doubt come out with different boards with some different power setups if you are seriously worried about power draw.

If Vega 10 turns out well, quite a few nvidia fanboys could be pretty mad. It's quite possible AMD might be looking at a 60% increase in performance over Fury X with Vega 10, with up to 32 GB of HBM2. The AMD cards are looking like better DX12 performers as well.

Should be an interesting year.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The RX 480 series might not be a big deal to some of us, but for AMD it's a big deal. It's a much more efficient card that is solidly mid level at a great price compared to its performance. They will own the mid level market unless nvidia steps in with something pretty big. The RX480 cards are a great deal for what you're getting, you have to admit it. AIB partners will no doubt come out with different boards with some different power setups if you are seriously worried about power draw.

If Vega 10 turns out well, quite a few nvidia fanboys could be pretty mad. It's quite possible AMD might be looking at a 60% increase in performance over Fury X with Vega 10, with up to 32 GB of HBM2. The AMD cards are looking like better DX12 performers as well.

View Quote

Based on what I've read so far, I plan on getting a Sapphire RX 480 Nitro.

Link
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

That looks like quite a nice card for the price. I've seen the leaked specs on the GTX 1060, and just by looking at paper specs, it's not looking good for the 1060.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That looks like quite a nice card for the price. I've seen the leaked specs on the GTX 1060, and just by looking at paper specs, it's not looking good for the 1060.

View Quote

The big thing for me is that it's going to have an 8 pin power connector, so it actually has some OC potential.  Along with fixing any possible concerns with the power draw.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The big thing for me is that it's going to have an 8 pin power connector, so it actually has some OC potential.  Along with fixing any possible concerns with the power draw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, 8 pin instead of 6 pin should alleviate any worries and give more OC headroom.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#47]

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Specifications Leaked

Pascal GP106Polaris 10 XT
16nm FinFET14nm FinFET
?32
?1120 MHz
~1700 MHz1266 MHz
~4.4 TFLOPs5.8 TFLOPs
6GB GDDR54/8 GB GDDR5
192-bit256-bit
2000 MHz2000 MHz
192 GB/s256 GB/s
120W150W
July 2016June 2016
?$199 (4 GB)

$239 (8 GB)

IMO, I don't see how nvidia can realistically claim that gtx 1060 will be faster than rx 480. 1.4 TFLOPS less compute performance and almost 60 GB/s less memory bandwidth.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I laughed too.

Actually, I do. And that is what I was talking about with my first point on the subject, that exact relationship.
I'm sorry it went over your head.
Quoted:
Official Statement from AMD:

"As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8 Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

Link

Oh look... Pretty much exactly what I said.
Amazing how some think I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No.

Quoted:
Quoted:

OC results:

That's what you said.

He said the card was pulling too much power from the motherboard.  You said "amperage, not watts, is travelling over the connectors and being requested by the GPU", which betrays a complete lack of understanding of what he was saying, and betrays a complete lack of understanding of how electricity works.  The card is drawing current (not "amperage", amperage is a unit of measure that we use to measure current), through its various power and PCI connectors.

The card is pulling more current than the PCI spec allows, which forces more power to be dissipated in components in the motherboard, which can, in some circumstances, result in a fried motherboard.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No.

That's what you said.

He said the card was pulling too much power from the motherboard.  You said "amperage, not watts, is travelling over the connectors and being requested by the GPU", which betrays a complete lack of understanding of what he was saying, and betrays a complete lack of understanding of how electricity works.  The card is drawing current (not "amperage", amperage is a unit of measure that we use to measure current), through its various power and PCI connectors.

The card is pulling more current than the PCI spec allows, which forces more power to be dissipated in components in the motherboard, which can, in some circumstances, result in a fried motherboard.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Quoted:
Quoted:

OC results:

That's what you said.

*Whoosh* Over your head again.  Lack of reading comprehension FTL...
If  you can't follow along please stop responding to my posts.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top