Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2015 10:31:27 PM EDT
There are likely skads. I haven't played EQ2 in probably six years, but looking at getting back into it. Do NOT want to spend. Lot of cash in case I don't stick with it. Current laptop is a MacBook Air, so no go. I do NOT want a desktop. I see older Dell XPS 1710s for under $300 on eBay. Assuming they have life left in them, I know they can handle it with ease. I'm not looking at playing at max settings, that's never been my thing, I just miss playing MMORPGs, and now that it's free to play I'm thinking why not if I can find something decent in the sub-$300 range. I have no interest in playing any other game.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe I found a better one for you at a quick glance. I wont link to it because I'm not sure on the rules, but here's the title.

Dell Precision M4400 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz 4GB 1TB Windows 7 Gaming Laptop

$299.95 with free shipping.

The one you linked to is a core duo, vs the one I posted which is a core 2 duo, and newer. I believe the one you posted is from 2006, and the one I posted is much newer (2009 I think).

nVidia Go 7900 GTX on the one you posted.

NVIDIA fx 770m on the one I posted.

The video cards aren't that much different, except the main thing is yours shows DX9 vs mine DX10. Here's a comparison. http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1473&gid2=296&compare=quadro-fx-770m-vs-geforce-go-7900-gtx

Everquest 2 came out in 2004, so obviously the further away from that date on hardware is going to usually be better.

Here are the recommended specs.

Operating System:

Windows 98/2000/ME/XP/Vista Processor: 2 GHz or greater, dual core or higher RAM: 2 GB Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible; pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 256 MB or more of texture memory Sound Card: DirectSound compatible audio hardware

Either one of those laptops would probably max it out based on my quick look.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I played EQ2 for quite a while.  (Have a level 80something Teir'Dal Necro on Antonia Bayle)  I last played when they first did the weird kind of free, but you could still sub setup.  I got my necro grandfathered in, cause the TierDal then were a pay only race.  I haven't played since getting her setup.  I keep thinking about it, though, it was a really good and fun MMORPG, and the TierDal are the closest interpretation to Drow I've run across.

I don't have any laptop advice for you.  I've never been impressed by even the gaming laptops.  But, I do know that EQ was more CPU-geared, so you'll want the best CPU you can get.  Especially since you say graphics aren't as important to you, which is good cause Laptops and Gaming graphics....heh.  But, as mentioned, it is an old game (even though they've done an incredible job updating the engine over the years) so something decent that's a few years old should run it okay.

(Another side note: EQ2 is the game that finally got me to go with a widescreen monitor.  All those skill bars, chat windows, condition icons, etc etc was just taking up too much space on a normal ratio screen!)
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I played EQ2 for quite a while.  (Have a level 80something Teir'Dal Necro on Antonia Bayle)  I last played when they first did the weird kind of free, but you could still sub setup.  I got my necro grandfathered in, cause the TierDal then were a pay only race.  I haven't played since getting her setup.  I keep thinking about it, though, it was a really good and fun MMORPG, and the TierDal are the closest interpretation to Drow I've run across.

I don't have any laptop advice for you.  I've never been impressed by even the gaming laptops.  But, I do know that EQ was more CPU-geared, so you'll want the best CPU you can get.  Especially since you say graphics aren't as important to you, which is good cause Laptops and Gaming graphics....heh.  But, as mentioned, it is an old game (even though they've done an incredible job updating the engine over the years) so something decent that's a few years old should run it okay.

(Another side note: EQ2 is the game that finally got me to go with a widescreen monitor.  All those skill bars, chat windows, condition icons, etc etc was just taking up too much space on a normal ratio screen!)
View Quote

Yeah I gave up on this fantasy and ordered another suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Gaming laptops aren't very good tbh. They overheat and depending on what you're buying, are very bulky. I've always just bought a low end to mid range laptop and spent my money on a gaming desktop.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gaming laptops aren't very good tbh. They overheat and depending on what you're buying, are very bulky. I've always just bought a low end to mid range laptop and spent my money on a gaming desktop.
View Quote

That's great, I believe I stated I don't want a desktop - space limitations.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, every time you take it out, just whisper "I cast Silence, 10 foot radius" and then shoot at your orc targets, and all is good...

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't have a desktop, even a tiny ITX hooked up to a TV, that is fine. I'm just trying to warn you that you may not get what you expect out of a gaming laptop.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much any modern laptop around $1000 can run EQ2 now, fwiw.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't go down that rabbit hole. HiramRanger.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't go down that rabbit hole. HiramRanger.
View Quote

I have better things to spend my money on. Talked myself out of it. At one time I spent as many hours raiding a week as I did at work, sleeping maybe four hours a day. Who knew tax stamps would keep me from slipping down the EQ2 slope again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top