Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2015 12:57:00 PM EDT
I currently own a 360 and play a game every now and then throughout the year until winter comes around. When winter hits, I have more chances to play. With this being the case soon, Ive been looking at buying either a PS4 or a Xbox 1 but can not decide which one to go with. I play shooting and racing games only. Which would would you all recommend to go with? They are about the same price.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I currently own a 360 and play a game every now and then throughout the year until winter comes around. When winter hits, I have more chances to play. With this being the case soon, Ive been looking at buying either a PS4 or a Xbox 1 but can not decide which one to go with. I play shooting and racing games only. Which would would you all recommend to go with? They are about the same price.
View Quote

Go with whatever your friends have.

If that doesn't matter, I'd say PS4 personally - there's so many more of them out in the wild than the XB1 that it has become the defacto lead development console this generation.  When the X1 was cheaper it was a tougher choice, but at the same price I'd put the PS4 out front.  But you would be fine with either.  Both have plenty of racing games and FPS titles.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Xbox 1 has added backwards compatibility for various 360 games.  Something to consider.  The controller will also be more familiar to you than that of the PS4.  As is the xbox live service.

As for shooting an racing games Xbox has Forza 6 and Halo 5 out right now.  You can also pick up the halo master chief collection which has halo 1,2,3 and 4.

There are some crazy promotions for the Xbox 1 right now which make it cheaper than the PS4.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If that doesn't matter, I'd say PS4 personally - there's so many more of them out in the wild than the XB1 that it has become the defacto lead development console this generation.  When the X1 was cheaper it was a tougher choice, but at the same price I'd put the PS4 out front.  But you would be fine with either.  Both have plenty of racing games and FPS titles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I like the PS4 controller better, but it's close enough not to matter.

ETA: Halo 5 sucks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Never been a big halo fan myself but I do like Forza enough to keep my at Xbox honestly. Going to screw around with them at best buy tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Sure looks like it - at least the SP.  MP might be better, though.

I am really liking that "Elite" customizable input mapping controller (which works on PC), & am kind of a "Gears of War" head, so that has me Jones'en for an elite bundle just a little, but I'm still on the fence.  Not sure what to think of the PS4 controller, & need to try it out.  I'm kind of hoping Sony puts out a similar controller with programmable inputs.  PS4 visuals seem to be universally better.  MSFT really missed the strategy boat not going with a higher performance GPU & throwing down a hard-line policy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both, but prefer the PS4.

In reviews, the PS4 usually gets a slight nod in the graphics and FpS department.

IMO, ps4 is more game-centric, while XbOne is more of a media center,but both can do either just fine.

Keep in mind, XBOne backwards compatibility wil be for a limited number of games.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone told me you have to fully download the games on Xbox 1 to play them.  Is that correct?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
PEE ESS IV
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

get the Xbox one, despite the naysayers, Halo 5 is awesome, if you are reminiscent of the old Halo 3 multiplayer controls and none of the stupid perk systems that they have in all the new call of duty games. I haven't played Xbox this much since Halo 3 multiplayer, the storyline in Halo 5 is a buildup to the upcoming Halo games, so it is short and has a lot of info missing that will show up in the later games.

but the multiplayer is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]
don't we do this thread several times a week?

I have both, prefer Xbox One.

Get what your friends have
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glock 19
View Quote

LOL.   So do you have to download the games fully on Xbox one?  Anybody?  Bueller?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

LOL.   So do you have to download the games fully on Xbox one?  Anybody?  Bueller?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19

Even with the disk, you have to install and download updates on all platforms.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have XBOX ONE, but get whatever you like...
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't matter. If I had to chose though I would go with the Halo box. The Halo books are excellent.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]
First and foremost, I agree with "get what your friends have".

That said:

I prefer Xbox One... I like the controllers better (especially the triggers for shooters), I like the menu interface better, I like most of the exclusive titles better etc.

I've always liked the xbox consoles better than PS2, PS3, etc. especially because of the controllers.

And while, I do mostly use it for gaming, if you get an Xbox One all hooked up with your entertainment system (TV, antenna, surround sound) and Kinect it is pretty slick...

Being able to just shout "xbox, watch NBC!", "xbox volume up" from the kitchen while I'm making popcorn and then walk to the couch with the game ready to start still makes me giggle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19

On the 360 you had the choice to fully download game or run the disk.  Yes, there is always content that needs to be download, but I mean the bulk of the game.  Some of my Son's friends are telling him xbox one is download fully only.  We're debating on which to get the 500 or 1 terrabyte.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

On the 360 you had the choice to fully download game or run the disk.  Yes, there is always content that needs to be download, but I mean the bulk of the game.  Some of my Son's friends are telling him xbox one is download fully only.  We're debating on which to get the 500 or 1 terrabyte.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 19

There is no choice with the ps4/xbox 1,  All games are copied from the disk to the HDD.  The disk is just used to verify you still own the game after that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#20]
My advice would be get a PC... I played on consoles until last year and seriously regret not starting earlier.

Of the two I would get a PS4, I own a Xbox ONE and hate everything about it, the UI sucks compared to the 360 and it constantly has disk read errors when trying to watch Blu-Ray movies (the only thing I use it for)

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've always liked the xbox consoles better than PS2, PS3, etc. especially because of the controllers.
View Quote

Sony bulked up the controller for the PS4.  Still not as big as the XBox controllers, but a lot closer than the PS1/2/3 controller:

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My advice would be get a PC... I played on consoles until last year and seriously regret not starting earlier.

Of the two I would get a PS4, I own a Xbox ONE and hate everything about it, the UI sucks compared to the 360 and it constantly has disk read errors when trying to watch Blu-Ray movies (the only thing I use it for)

View Quote
I agree. With modern Desktops at the cheapest price they have ever been and with the level of performance you can get out of one you are honestly wasting your time buying any of the consoles. They are for children.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I agree. With modern Desktops at the cheapest price they have ever been and with the level of performance you can get out of one you are honestly wasting your time buying any of the consoles. They are for children.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why probably a lot of us have one.  My son plays with his friends.  But then I like to play a game or two.  So....  I do everything else on a laptop.  It's fun enough for me.  Although I did used to play on a desktop and it was fun too.  I actually like the controllers better for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Which is why probably a lot of us have one.  My son plays with his friends.  But then I like to play a game or two.  So....  I do everything else on a laptop.  It's fun enough for me.  Although I did used to play on a desktop and it was fun too.  I actually like the controllers better for some reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those controllers plug right into a computer, FYI laptops are a joke compared to modern desktops.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't mean I play games on my laptop.  I'm saying I don't go on a desktop any more. Which is just another reason why a counsel works for me.   I'm sorry you disapprove.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#26]
It generally breaks the direction that your friends went.

But in the event of a tie... there are a LOT more PS4's out there than XB1's. And the PS4 is generally considered to be the more powerful machine.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Go with whatever you want or whatever your friends play on

Both are a good buy
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Ended up buying the Xbox one from Target. They had the bundles for $399 and you also got a free game of your choosing. Enjoying it so far!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Is that the 500 gigs or a terrabyte?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I hope it's the tb version or you got fucked lol
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#31]
So here's my question, I live in the middle of nowhere and have to use Verizon Wi-Fi. Thus, I have a limited bandwidth. On my 360, it's good enough for me to get online and play call of duty. I just have to be careful with what I download.

Will the Xbox one eat up my data? Is ps4 friendlier?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So here's my question, I live in the middle of nowhere and have to use Verizon Wi-Fi. Thus, I have a limited bandwidth. On my 360, it's good enough for me to get online and play call of duty. I just have to be careful with what I download.

View Quote

You would be screwed either way.  Both the X1 and PS4 require good internet connections.  Whether it is for game updates or OS/system updates.  The X1 does have a way to track data usage (http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-settings) but between all the updates required for these new consoles and the increased bandwidth needed for MP gaming, neither console seems like an option for you with your current internet option.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is that the 500 gigs or a terrabyte?
View Quote

Its 1TB.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You would be screwed either way.  Both the X1 and PS4 require good internet connections.  Whether it is for game updates or OS/system updates.  The X1 does have a way to track data usage (http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-settings) but between all the updates required for these new consoles and the increased bandwidth needed for MP gaming, neither console seems like an option for you with your current internet option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the connection I'm worried about, it's that I've seen my friend play Witcher and that game has an update every other day. I've also noticed that it seems you cannot play any of the games unless you first connect online. Is this true? Do I have to be connected to be able to play my games? It's not the internet speeds that I'm worried about.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's not the connection I'm worried about, it's that I've seen my friend play Witcher and that game has an update every other day. I've also noticed that it seems you cannot play any of the games unless you first connect online. Is this true? Do I have to be connected to be able to play my games? It's not the internet speeds that I'm worried about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do not need to be connected online to play your games.  As I stated though, today's games have frequent large updates.  Today's consoles have frequent OS/software updates.  MP games require more bandwidth/use more data than games in the past.

So with your current internet service and your limited data allocation, a X1/PS4 would not be a good fit for you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the XBox:

You do not need to be connected to play games.  You can be in offline mode from the day you turn it on.  

But - as soon as you go online and attempt to connect to live:

1.  A system update may be required.  You may choose to remain offline.
2.  If the XBOX OS is up to date, a game update may be required.  You may choose to NOT update the game, but will not be able to be online with it.

I'm on the preview program for XB1 and so have lost my feel for XBOX OS updates.  I think they come out essentially once a month.  Generally games have updates on day 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top