Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2015 4:11:27 PM EDT
Anybody play? I just started and died from starvation a bunch of times before I could get anywhere with some food. Changed servers a few times and most were picked clean on the coast where you spawn. Start off hungry and within 30 minutes die of starvation if you don't get lucky and find some canned food. What kind of fucky shit is that?

Seems like some servers are spawning loot/food differently than others. Found a couple that actually had canned food, found a hatchet, backpack and some other stuff then headed off into the hills and encountered a hog stuck running in place. Ran over and hacked him to dead and holy smokes food for days. Ate some later on without cooking it and got sick. Had some charcoal tabs earlier on but I dropped them to carry some other stuff.

Made it up to NWAF and it was slim pickings. Found a .22 rifle and some ammo for it and that's about it. Still sick and took off toward the northwest and fell unconscious, I guess from being sick.

I'm kind of liking it, except the dying of starvation in 30 minutes. Hope they adjust the hunger parameters, it fucking ridiculous right now, especially with loot spawn being jiggered up.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't even look on the coast go north immediately. Food isn't a big deal when you actually get well fed and hydrated status.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't even look on the coast go north immediately. Food isn't a big deal when you actually get well fed and hydrated status.
View Quote

Yeah once you get well fed and hydrated it's a whole 'nuther story.  I found a bunch of apples and killed a couple of cows. Alas, it is becoming apparent I'm gonna have to start cooking the meat before I eat it. Got sick again and then a zombie knocked me unconscious.

Fuck it's a bit tedious starting all over every time you die.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
we need to set up a group. way more fun with more than one person
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Been itching to try this game myself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Been itching to try this game myself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
They fix the major bugs?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
we need to set up a group. way more fun with more than one person
View Quote

A group would be good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They fix the major bugs?
View Quote

I just recently started playing so I'm not sure what has been fixed recently. The loot still seems broken. Some servers don't seem to be spawning loot properly, even with no other players online there is basically nothing to be found. Others have some loot, enough to get you by. And I've heard stories of loot bombs but never come across one as of yet.

The dying of starvation in 30 minutes bullshit is still there though. That's probably my biggest gripe.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally figured out that if an apple tree or berry bush doesn't give up anything the first try, you can keep trying the same tree/bush and have a decent chance of getting something after a few tries. Apples seem to be pretty worthless though, you can eat them until you are stuffed and then be hungry 5 minutes later.

I was looking for a good server this morning and ended up on one that starts you off in your underwear and undershirt. No shoes, no t-shirt, no pants, no flashlight (never use my flashlight anyways, especially if other player are on the server). Also no loot on this server. Tried another server and was still in my underwear doh! Got hobo dressed after a while, ate a bunch of berries. Gotta google the shortcut for skipping the search animation. I can feel my life slipping away (my real one lol) while I'm searching for fucking berries.  

Finally got pretty much everything I was looking for, backpack, decent clothes, compass, screwdriver (couldn't find a can opener), pristine  hatchet, ice axe, .22 rifle and 50 rounds of ammo, some canned food, couple bottles of water, first aid bandages, a cooking pot  (finally figured that although it takes up 4 spaces in your inventory, you can store 4 things in it so might as well in case you find some game you need to cook).

Saw a town sign for Lopatino, sweet I'm close to the NWAF and some military gear hopefully! Started heading east through town toward the airfield and got chased by a couple of zombies. Noticed closed doors while I was unassing the AO and decided I wanted to check it out, lost one zombie and the other one I was gonna bash with the ice axe but the fucker one punch killed me. Fuuuuuuuccccckkkkk.

The fucked up thing is I really didn't need anything from those houses. Now I'm a new spawn on the coast again. Fuck.a.duck. Think I'm gonna start avoiding zombies from here on out.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]
There was a group of us that played this for a while, we still go back on occasion.

Here's some links for those interested.

DayZ Standalone Wiki

Interactive DayZ Map

Another decent map
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:, ate a bunch of berries. Gotta google the shortcut for skipping the search animation. I can feel my life slipping away (my real one lol) while I'm searching for fucking berries.  
View Quote

Some berries are poisonous, even the one's that aren't provide very little towards your energy.  Check the wiki
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Played a ton of the mod. Have around maybe 40 or so hours on the standalone. Haven't played in months though. Decided to wait until the laggy animation and other bugs got fixed. Every now and then I load it up but can't get more than a few minutes in before I get annoyed and quit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]
When I played I never left the coast. I'd find any improvised weapon and go hunt down other noobs. Got the drop on one guy and smashed his head in with a hammer and took his shoes, had another guy mess me up good with a pitchfork before I got him.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Some berries are poisonous, even the one's that aren't provide very little towards your energy.  Check the wiki
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:, ate a bunch of berries. Gotta google the shortcut for skipping the search animation. I can feel my life slipping away (my real one lol) while I'm searching for fucking berries.  

I read somewhere that the blue berries are poisonous, thankfully read that before today because I found some blue ones and tossed those bad boys out. Gonna have to check that wiki out, thanks for the links. I'm tired as fuck of playing for hours, getting all geared up and then dying from something dumb like food poisoning.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Found some gear!

Spent way too long in the barracks and when I came out this was laying out front:

Mostly AK-74's, AKS-74u's, SKS's and I think some AK 101's. Nary a mag in sight except one 30 rounder I found for my AKM.

Geared up and scared shitless I'm gonna die now. Why is it so much easier to play this game when you're a coastal noob with just a flashlight and a battery?

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When I played I never left the coast. I'd find any improvised weapon and go hunt down other noobs. Got the drop on one guy and smashed his head in with a hammer and took his shoes, had another guy mess me up good with a pitchfork before I got him.
View Quote

That sounds fun too but I hardly ever see anyone. Saw a few new spawns who were all hauling ass. Only other person I saw was on the prison island. I heard footsteps while I was searching for stuff and thought hmm what's that. Some geared guy sliced the pie, saw me standing there in my skivvies and shot my ass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Found some gear!

View Quote

Ahh the .55 version "loot-splosion".  Loot should be back to normal when .57 is released next Wednesday (supposedly).  They are adding a ton of new features too, which brought me back from a lengthy time away from the game.  

Don't get too attached to your gear, that just makes you too conservative and ruins the fun of the game.  Goof around, have fun, play with land mines.  

Characters / hives will be wiped with the pending update anyway.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ahh the .55 version "loot-splosion".  Loot should be back to normal when .57 is released next Wednesday (supposedly).  They are adding a ton of new features too, which brought me back from a lengthy time away from the game.  

Don't get too attached to your gear, that just makes you too conservative and ruins the fun of the game.  Goof around, have fun, play with land mines.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found some gear!

Back to normal meaning an almost total lack of loot, or that they are hopefully going to fix CLE? I haven't been playing all that long but I've definitely noticed a dire lack of almost anything useful on many servers, even inland away from the coast. Even shortly after a restart with 0 other players on the server. Other servers seem to have just enough to get you by, and of course there are the loot explosions.

No worries about getting attached to my gear, as soon as I get fully geared and with firearms I know I'm gonna die soon. Strangely all the zombie one punch deaths I've had have been when I'm fully geared. on the coast I have been able to punch a zombie to death, and can almost always kill one with whatever melee weapon without dying. Hours later, farther inland and geared, one z-punch and I'm dead. I wonder if the inland z's have have a different damage setting?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
How does DayZ compare to H1Z1?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I have both H1Z1 and DayZ and still prefer DayZ. There is just something I don't like about H1Z1, but I cannot put my finger on it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The standalone is broken. I bought it back mid summer of 2014 and it has gotten less and less playable steadily. With the last couple of patches the game is PVE only due to the fact that you die from the environment so quickly(unrealistically) The zombies went from glitchy but easily killed now if they are next to you they do constant damage regardless of where they are facing or if their arms are moving. The loot system has become a total train wreck and I quite playing after .55. The dev's for that game are fucking trolls, how they took what is basically an arma 2 port and botched it so badly is beyond me.  All the my friends that convinced me to buy it regret it as do I. Arma 3 epoch has been a good replacement though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Dayz still broken but rust is playable again with plenty of servers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#23]
fuck that game. spend an hour and a half crawling on your belly so the zombies don't swarm you. find a shitty handgun and a can of beans. get sniped by some geared up asshole, repeat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top