Is it a letdown? how's the coop?

Picked it up and love it!

ETA: Title to official
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I get it at 6:00 tonight when I get off work. I'll let you know
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm waiting for more reviews and most likely a steam sale come summer.

From the initial set of reviews I've seen everyone is saying "a more polished Dead Island", which is kind of a double edged sword.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get it at 6:00 tonight when I get off work. I'll let you know
View Quote

Awesome. I'm trying not to hold my breathe for it. But, can't help it ha
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife picked up my copy at lunch, it will be waiting for me after work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a copy on the way.

I'll echo what was said above about Dead Island. The parkour abilities seem like they'll add a new dimension of play, but if it's as repetitive as Dead Island I'm probably going to be disappointed.

And don't even get me started on the "weapons" that last almost long enough to kill a single zombie.  

I really hope they toned down weapon breakage, or got rid of it entirely.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The weapons thing was one of my main gripes about Dead Island... how you would have a dial full of custom made good weapons that you would keep constantly switching between as they wore down, then the first work bench you saw you had to fix them all... with your paper mache money.

Then again your weapons seemed to really only exist to knock the zombies down so you could super flying death stomp them. Hell, the jump kick worked better than your weapons half the time in that capacity anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, that was my exact issue as well.

And... I just read a site talking about weapons breaking and needing repair in Dying Light, so it's still a pretty major thing.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, that was my exact issue as well.

And... I just read a site talking about weapons breaking and needing repair in Dying Light, so it's still a pretty major thing.  
View Quote

Great. Exactly what I wasn't hoping for.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
How many guns are in the game? I've only seen a pistol in a review commentary.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm installing now, we'll see how it is.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Okay, I've played this for a few hours now, and here are some thoughts:

1. The combat feels like Dead Island, only your damage output seems way less.

2. The parkour works pretty well

3. Night time is no joke. Seriously, it's intense.

4. Story seems kinda meh so far, but I'm early in so that can change.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Weapons need repair, but can be repaired anywhere. Some weapons can be repaired more than others.

Early on I think it's supposed to be pretty shitty so you feel more like a badass when leveling your skills. I already noticed one skill that increased my weapon handling or something to improve it.

And I know eventually, stamina is a non issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How many guns are in the game? I've only seen a pistol in a review commentary.
View Quote

The site I read mentioned a "Military Rifle", which I assume is probably an AR or AK.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Weapons need repair, but can be repaired anywhere. Some weapons can be repaired more than others.

Early on I think it's supposed to be pretty shitty so you feel more like a badass when leveling your skills. I already noticed one skill that increased my weapon handling or something to improve it.

View Quote

Hopefully the repairs are less of a hassle than before. The first game often felt like you needed a full inventory just to make it through a single fight.

Personally I'd prefer for weapons to be a lot more rare but last a long time, or indefinitely. It would make upgrading or finding new weapons more rewarding and less of a hassle.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I got it and really like it. Good graphics and fun. You can unlock perks to throw primary weapons which is good fun. I highly recommend it for someone who wants a far cry type game (not as cluttered of a map as far cry) with zombies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hopefully the repairs are less of a hassle than before. The first game often felt like you needed a full inventory just to make it through a single fight.

Personally I'd prefer for weapons to be a lot more rare but last a long time, or indefinitely. It would make upgrading or finding new weapons more rewarding and less of a hassle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so far,I have only needed 1x metal parts. And I have plenty of those, junk metal weapons can be dismantled into more metal parts. No crafting bench or anything like it necessary to craft, upgrade, or repair weapons.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

so far,I have only needed 1x metal parts. And I have plenty of those, junk metal weapons can be dismantled into more metal parts. No crafting bench or anything like it necessary to craft, upgrade, or repair weapons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, that sounds more promising than Dead Island.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm waiting for this to go on sale.  As some state, it's basically a Dead Island remake.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm waiting for this to go on sale.  As some state, it's basically a Dead Island remake.
View Quote

Yeah, from what I read this is essentially a sequel to Dead Island. The team involved in making the sequel was split on which way to go, so we ended up with Dead Island 2 and Dying Light.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I played for a little while last night. The parkour stuff took me a little time to get the hang of, well remembering to hold the button

So far it's been fun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone tried coop?

Does coop progress save towards everyone's campaign?  Or is it like far cry, you can only do certain things
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried coop?

Does coop progress save towards everyone's campaign?  Or is it like far cry, you can only do certain things
View Quote

I did last night with a friend. I would think it saved towards both, any mission we wanted to do, we both had to be there (whether to pick it up, or complete it)
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried coop?

View Quote

It's pretty well integrated. The host sets the available missions, but progress applies to everyone and is recorded individually. Pretty slick
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got it and really like it. Good graphics and fun. You can unlock perks to throw primary weapons which is good fun. I highly recommend it for someone who wants a far cry type game (not as cluttered of a map as far cry) with zombies.
View Quote

From what I've read and the gameplay I've seen on youtube, this is a pretty decent way of putting it. Far Cry crossed with Dead Island. I'll probably pick it up pretty soon on PS4. Graphics look amazing too
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Planning on picking it up when it goes on sale on steam, since I won't be able to play it for a while anyway.  

Has anyone here found any firearms yet?  Are they as clunky as they were in DI?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Planning on picking it up when it goes on sale on steam, since I won't be able to play it for a while anyway.  

View Quote

Police vans sometimes have guns in them. I have only found a handgun, and I didn't use it because a guy wanted it for a quest.

ETA: You can do this with guns apparently:

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:01:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Police vans sometimes have guns in them. I have only found a handgun, and I didn't use it because a guy wanted it for a quest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVPnbSba-Js
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVPnbSba-Js

Winning.  That's some Dayz style shit there; glad to see that kind of stuff in a SP game.  

I did notice from watching someone play that guns don't seem to degrade.  Looks like it's just going to be a matter of ammo being extremely scarce.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Techland hit a homerun with this game. I absolutely despised Dead Island (even hated Dead Rising but it's not a Techland game) and always looked at Techland as a shit developer so I expected this game to be a complete flop. After reading a few user reviews and watching a few streams I deceided to give it a try. 12 hours in with some co-op and only 15ish% complete on the story this game is a lot of fun. Easily one of the best zombie games out there right now and this has been the first person zombie game people have been waiting for IMHO.  My only complaint is I wish the map was bigger, but there seems to be so much to do and I'm having too much fun to really notice it.

A solid 8 out of 10 for me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Techland hit a homerun with this game. I absolutely despised Dead Island (even hated Dead Rising but it's not a Techland game) and always looked at Techland as a shit developer so I expected this game to be a complete flop. After reading a few user reviews and watching a few streams I deceided to give it a try. 12 hours in with some co-op and only 15ish% complete on the story this game is a lot of fun. Easily one of the best zombie games out there right now and this has been the first person zombie game people have been waiting for IMHO.  My only complaint is I wish the map was bigger, but there seems to be so much to do and I'm having too much fun to really notice it.

A solid 8 out of 10 for me.
View Quote

Thanks for the report! I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I should note that I have the PS4 version.  Many PC users have a lot of issues from what I read. So PC users be advised until they patch it or new drivers are released for your video card.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I should note that I have the PS4 version.  Many PC users have a lot of issues from what I read. So PC users be advised until they patch it or new drivers are released for your video card.
View Quote

Yeah, I'll be on PS4 as well. It arrived yesterday, but I probably won't have time to try it out until tomorrow night.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I'm waiting.  From what I've seen, it has an issue with bottlenecking on your CPU because it can't utilize multiple cores properly.  SLI is broken as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I have to admit the game looks interesting and it appears to have better polish than Dead Island.

I'm interested... but not full price interested.

I think it will be at least 30% off if not more by the summer sale, so I'll bide my time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Dying Light ? Korek Machete [EASTER EGG]: http://youtu.be/N7NWKSd6wOQ

Bad ass machete.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#35]
The zombies are funny.

The heights are terrifying...

...unless you are kicking zombies off a cliff or bridge.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Well at around 45% the game got a lot bigger. There is a second town (second open world map).
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#37]
That's about 26 hours into the game as well
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Need people to play with, myself and one other currently going through but haven't really made much progress.  Just BSing around taking our time.

steam: jatobi
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll be picking this up for xbox one.

Lightfighter501
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well at around 45% the game got a lot bigger. There is a second town (second open world map).
View Quote

Nice. I was trying to find out when that would happen, but couldn't find anything.

I think this game is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Anyone find a rifle/ar/shotgun yet? If so,where?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:13:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tiny found a 9mm in one of the Police vans, I got a police rifle off of a guy who....shot me with it.  Ended him with a DIY Grenade and took his rifle lol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:53:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Maybe I'll watch a few streams on the PS4 later and pick it up.  Guy at GameStop almost talked me into it the other day but I generally don't buy new games.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've found a bunch. Keep going with the main quests and you will find them. Play co-op with someone who is farther into the game, just have them join into your session. It helps you get your skills up and progress faster and makes the game even more fun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#46]
i found my first pistol in a shed off the main stretch, with a little bit of ammo, guy was in a chair with a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head, took the pistol from his cold dead hand
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
i found my first pistol in a shed off the main stretch, with a little bit of ammo, guy was in a chair with a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head, took the pistol from his cold dead hand
View Quote

That seems to be the easiest place to get one, from what I've read.  Lockpicking police vehicles is time consuming and also appears to have an element of random drops - a guy I was watching play was trying to get a gun but kept finding either ammo or nothing, even in vehicles where other people online had found firearms.

But one review I watched showed some late-game play and the guy said that he was getting guns with some regularity by the end, so it sounds like that stuff comes in time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That seems to be the easiest place to get one, from what I've read.  Lockpicking police vehicles is time consuming and also appears to have an element of random drops - a guy I was watching play was trying to get a gun but kept finding either ammo or nothing, even in vehicles where other people online had found firearms.

But one review I watched showed some late-game play and the guy said that he was getting guns with some regularity by the end, so it sounds like that stuff comes in time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At around 42% story the game throws guns at you. I only use them when I'm fighting hamans with guns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I found a double barreled shotgun.

Thing is, I had to jump in the middle of a house fire to get it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:56:23 AM EDT
[#50]
How does co-op work?

If my friend is 30% through the game can I jump in and play co-op with him at that point or do we have to restart our own 'campaign?'
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top