Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Finished HW1, definitely can see where enemy AI could have used a refresh. The "bridge of sighs" mission was pretty meh, this huge sphere of Ion Frigates and yet they all don't just converge on you, letting you control the battle tempo. Basically turtle in towards formation, max # of Destroyers and heavy cruisers in Capital Phalanx formation + more captured in past missions to break past the unit cap, and you can control the battle tempo. Enemy frigs melt into nothingness, and you can fight them a handfull at a time. Easily pick off their capital ships near the warp disruptor, and then game over with minimal losses.

I am very much hoping modding starts up soon on the reworked engine. Some AI tweaks at the least would be spiffy, and I'd love to start seeing custom ships and such.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
In the original you could send a probe through the formation and the entire sphere would chase the probe
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the original you could send a probe through the formation and the entire sphere would chase the probe
View Quote

Lol, playing through last night I'm not surprised. Like I said, some AI work would be appreciated, certainly if it's possible for AI to prioritize targets and "forget" lesser ones to switch to more imminent threats. I understand it might be a stretch, but it would add some new life to the old classics!

I'm a modder at heart, so I'm just chomping at the bit to try and add ships to the roster in the SP campaign, tweak the missions to add more/bigger ships, bump the unit caps, and some other stuff. The ultimate plan is to add a Star Destroyer model in from the old Warlords mod and at least get the model working with projectile turrets. I know converting everything to turbolasers and adding shields was a significant rework of the HW2 engine, but it would still be hilarious to me to see a Star Destroyer in HW1's campaign.

ACTUALLY, the Galactica would be an even better fit! Already is a projectile/missile type ship. Imagine replacing the Hiigaran carrier with Galactica and then super-upgunning it with Heavy Cruiser guns and the flak guns off the multi-gun corvette. Restrict the campaign so all you get is the Galactica, Mothership, and Vipers for the whole campaign for a hefty challenge
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Heh, I totally try and use my cursor to scroll in Firefox after I've played HW for awhile.

"Hey, why isn't this scrolling...."

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top