Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 10:23:00 PM EDT
Surprised there isn't a topic on it.  Unless it isn't using my title there, and is under something like 'zomg, I'll just leave this here...'  

I know we have a lot of mini wargamers on the board, and a bazillion SW fans, many in the 501st.  Surely there are some Arfcommers playing this!

So, help this fledgling Imperial strategist out with some tips, pics of your awesome repaints, bad ass Fat Han slaying builds, etc!

My baby collection so far:
Empire: Interceptor, Imperial Aces, 3 TIE Fighers (2 core, 1 exp)
Rebels: YT1300, B-Wing, 2 X-Wings (1 core, 1 Exp)

I have a basic Fat Han build, a fairly decent build for the -wings, and a Howlrunner list for the TIEs.  Really trying to not run out and get a couple TIE Phantoms till I, ya know, actually play the game against someone other than my imaginary opponent...  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be cool if others got into it, but all the mini gamers around here seem to only like Warmachine/Warhammer.  Like those games, it is still a money pit, but I think it looks ALOT better then the bloated buff dudes with cannon pistols and manga armor.

I might have bought it if it came as a board game.  FFG is releasing a new Star Wars board game in the first quarter of 2015, but its stupid expensive at $100.

Too bad micro machines is no longer making mini Star Wars ships to use in this old WEG board game from the 1980's:

It is much easier to play on a grid then to use measuring devices imo.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty lucky that I have several game stores in the area that play it. I just need to get up to speed before jumping in.  Either way, I'll be starting in a couple weeks.  

I didn't know how the movement would work out, it's definitely different from a grid! Being able to Curve is something that has always been difficult/unrealistic on a grid. It's pretty fun, basic game mechanics are easy to grasp.

I resisted getting into Warhammer so long because I'm too lazy to paint them all, and the $$$ to get 'good' at it.  You can field a prepainted squad in X-Wing much, much cheaper.

Although, my wife cringed each time I came home with a new $15 1" long starfighter!  

I almost held out for Armada, but yeah, I think it will be silly expensive.  Although....very cool!  We'll see if they have a cool looking Star Destroyer, that might pull me in....
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't say enough great things about X Wing.

Rules are simple enough to explain to a child; indeed I've taught this game to my very young kids. Yet if you get into the nuances of it it can get pretty complex. It is the game to get people who don't like miniature games to change their mind.

Low cost of entry, it's just fantastic. And you don't need to spend a ton unless you want to compete, I've spend less than $100 on all my minis and play the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up a Phantom.  Love me some cloaking action!

I also snagged one of the Plano clamshells, and got everything thing in it.  Put all my cards in sleeves, too.

Still haven't played a game!  

Possibly tomorrow.  Definitely on Wednesday.  We'll see how my n00btastic lists work out....
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Mistakes were made...

I've since added a Decimator and YT-2400.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Dang, I wish I had friends to play something like that wish.

Is there some sort of M:TG type game with SW cards?  I know there was one many years ago.  Anything recent?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I might pick up a few of these for my shelf of geek stuff.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the models are very nice for the price, especially if you order online from a place like miniature market or the war store (about 20-30% cheaper than B&N or most brick and mortar shops).  The paintjobs are all pretty identical so I assume it's some sort of machine doing the base colors and the washes are done by hand.

The Corvette, Falcon, X-wing and Y-wing are, imo, the best models.  Corvette could have used a heavier washing but I'm ok with it as is.  A-wing, and TIE Defender are the least impressive, I think.

Corvette and Transport are not to the same scale as the other ships.  They would need to be twice as large but then they'd be pretty useless for gaming with.

There's a fellow who goes by the moniker melminiatures on the X-wing forums who sells his own 3d printed x-wing creations for the game on Shapeways.  He even makes a Nebulon Frigate to the same scale as the corvette and half again smaller (again, so it'll be useful on the table) and the community has come up with rules and cards for them for friendly games.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, something I want to get into to play with my two SW obsessed boys with. (7 and 2.) My 4yo daughter is meh, and the 4 month old will come to the dark side soon enough...
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Had my wife get some for Christmas. Hope she didn't buy like all Rebels or something.

Found out theres a webapp that you can play single player against incase you dont have a 2nd person.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I've played a couple games, and have my first store tournament tomorrow.

I'm soo gonna get my TIEs blown away!  

It is a fun game, glad I got into it!

I do need to try out this solo player website/app I've been hearing about.  I need to practice a hell of a lot more!  I'm still getting used to visualizing where the ships will move to, and all my ship's skills and abilities....never mind my opponents!

But, it is way fun.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mistakes were made...

http://i.imgur.com/l65wLRCh.jpg

I've since added a Decimator and YT-2400.
View Quote

bajeebus!  How many frigging points were you running?

And yeah, right now, between the Dash Han build for the Rebs and the DoomShuttle/Decimater for the Imps....I don't last long in my little fragile Interceptors and Phantom!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I wasn't playing a game,  I'd just received that lovely mat and pulled out everything I owned for a photo op.

According to my handy dandy squad builder pictured is 651 minimum points of Rebels (no equipment, rookie pilots) and 549 minimum points of Imps.

Apparently I need more real good guys.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Most of the models are very nice for the price, especially if you order online from a place like miniature market or the war store (about 20-30% cheaper than B&N or most brick and mortar shops).  The paintjobs are all pretty identical so I assume it's some sort of machine doing the base colors and the washes are done by hand.

The Corvette, Falcon, X-wing and Y-wing are, imo, the best models.  Corvette could have used a heavier washing but I'm ok with it as is.  A-wing, and TIE Defender are the least impressive, I think.

Corvette and Transport are not to the same scale as the other ships.  They would need to be twice as large but then they'd be pretty useless for gaming with.

There's a fellow who goes by the moniker melminiatures on the X-wing forums who sells his own 3d printed x-wing creations for the game on Shapeways.  He even makes a Nebulon Frigate to the same scale as the corvette and half again smaller (again, so it'll be useful on the table) and the community has come up with rules and cards for them for friendly games.

View Quote

Do these come finished as pictured? Some are painted and some seem to come bare; do the painted ones come painted?

Wife got me the starter set, Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces just now lol

I'm already looking at starting a full out Capital Ship battle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do these come finished as pictured? Some are painted and some seem to come bare; do the painted ones come painted?

Wife got me the starter set, Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces just now lol

I'm already looking at starting a full out Capital Ship battle.
View Quote

Sadly, no.  Just bare plastic.  You'll have to bust out your own paints if you buy anything.  I am ever so tempted to get the big Nebulon.

I debated a full 30 seconds from seeing the announcement for the raider to placing my preorder on Miniature Market.  It's going to be an interminable wait.  Armada should hit stores next month though so that should be fun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Well this thread cost me $200.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well this thread cost me $200.
View Quote

Ya I've gone nuts on buying ships and expansion packs to see whats better and what works well together/against other things.

I semi embarrassed to say I'm up to a second 'starter box' already for the ships and just extra stuff for the 2nd player as well as:

Imperial Aces
Rebel Aces
TIE Defender
TIE Phantom
YWing
TIE Bomber
Rebel Transport
Rebel Corvette
Z95
YT2400
VT49 Decimator

I've been after a TIE Advanced but they are sold out everywhere or only on ebay for a retarded price. Need that, probably some other 'fillers' and definitely the Falcon. I'm waiting for the Raider to be in stock to snag that too.

Sigh.

ETA - As far as the printed stuff goes, I used to build models so if I'd find myself wanting to do that again as far as the paints, I may go for it. Main thing is the rules for the giant capitol ships that aren't actually 'legit' and that they keep making other capitol ships. I know the scaling is the issue because an ISD to this current scale would be undoable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Have my second tournament to go to here in a couple hours.

Flying a basic Han Falcon with a couple Rookie X-Wings.  It's super easy to fly, and basic.  Won my first match with it against a Decimator a couple weeks ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top