Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 2:50:18 PM EDT
So don't laugh too much, but is it reasonable to run PC games on a laptop?

I was a big Wasteland fan and now that #2 is out I am thinking of trying it out. A dedicated desk top / work station is not a great idea with my kids and housing space. A laptop would also give me something else to do while traveling long flights and such.

I won't likely play halo or similar shooter game, just not into it, so what system should I consider?  

Thanks for any inputs
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
expect to pay significantly more for the same performance than in a desktop

Alienware makes a few - I had Gateway's offering until I fried it with a beer... wife has a HP that's decent for gaming.

many drawbacks but if you need it to be portable there are options out there
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]

I had an Alienware M17X when they first came out with them.

$2300 (circa 2008) for a 17" laptop, Windows Vista (Win 7 free upgrade code), 2x Nvidia GTX260M graphics cards in SLI, 4Gb RAM, 2 500Gb HDDs (in RAID, so you only get 500Gb anyway). I forget the CPU specs. It was an Intel Quad-Core Duo I believe (9000 series?) 2.26ghz clock.

I played anything from COD to Arma 2. Functioned well. The screen (1440x900 IIRC) was a TN panel, but the best TN panel I have ever seen. It lasted me from 2008 to March of this year, until I built my own desktop. Never really had any problems with it. Everything was upgradable.

I never did upgrade it though. I didn't feel like spending $800 for newer (but still not the latest) graphics cards. CPU could only be upgraded to Intel i5 (newer versions of the M17X could be upgraded to i7). RAM was even upgradable.

Alienware makes a decent gaming laptop. Also, check out ASUS's ROG series gaming laptops.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Back in the day (mid 90s to early 2000's) i always had a desktop gaming PC.  then I went to gaming laptops.  awesome, but after 2 years, they always broke.  usually 1 of the 2 gfx cards broke and since they were integrated, you had to buy both, at $400 a pop.  Toshiba, ASUS, Alien, didnt matter. always something.  this year I went back to PC.  sucks that its stationary but I have a cheap DELL laptop i use for everything else.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Lenovo Y50 is what I have been looking at for awhile now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So don't laugh too much, but is it reasonable to run PC games on a laptop?

I was a big Wasteland fan and now that #2 is out I am thinking of trying it out. A dedicated desk top / work station is not a great idea with my kids and housing space. A laptop would also give me something else to do while traveling long flights and such.

I won't likely play halo or similar shooter game, just not into it, so what system should I consider?  

Thanks for any inputs
View Quote

Check out Xotic PC They have it laid out pretty well so you can decide via specs and price.

Sager's are good. Think of it as 1k less than the Dellienware because you aren't paying that extra for a alien face on the lid. Next I would say is ASUS and MSI.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
ASUS G series.  ROG (Republic of Gamers).
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking at getting a new laptop as well.  I'm not looking to replace my desktop for gaming but I'd like to find a laptop that can play games when the desktop is unavailable.  I'm considering the Lenovo Y50 series or something in that price range.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
origin pc - if you want something precisely how you want it and want it to come in a badass wooden crate.

msi
lenova
asus    if you want a pre rolled laptop on the cheap that runs a few games decently.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If you've got the room for a laptop, you've got room for an itx or mATX desktop build which would be cheaper, and run better than an actual gaming laptop, which run pricey.

What's the budget look like? Generally, IMO the only answer to the question to what gaming laptop is Sager. If playing on an airplane is a goal of yours, you might want to look into a smaller form factor.

this Sager here would be a good plane laptop as it's just 13.3."
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ASUS G series.  ROG (Republic of Gamers).
View Quote

Yup love mine, cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an HP Envy 17 from 2010 that runs 95% of the games I own just fine. Only new games with high graphics settings like Far Cry 4 or unoptimized pieces of shit like Planetside 2 give it trouble.

I wouldn't recommend an alienware anything because you are paying for the brand name more than the hardware.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Also walmarts a few weeeks away from selling steam boxes lol.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an HP Envy 17 from 2010 that runs 95% of the games I own just fine. Only new games with high graphics settings like Far Cry 4 or unoptimized pieces of shit like Planetside 2 give it trouble.

I wouldn't recommend an alienware anything because you are paying for the brand name more than the hardware.
View Quote

I'd recommend an alienware far before recommending an HP Envy from 2010.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Have you even owned an Alienware?

They are good computers, a bit pricy, but good.

I had mine MX17 for almost 5 years, taking it back and forth from Hawaii to Texas. Heavy sum-beech  though.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I got an Alienware M17 last year.  Great machine, still kicks ass.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#16]
So any good place to look for cyber Monday?

Newegg, amazon, others?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
what's your budget?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I would like to be under $1k
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Wasteland 2 isn't that demanding of a game. You shouldn't need a $1k laptop to run it. However if you do plan on playing other games, having the capability is always better. But if you plan on only really playing wasteland 2, could potentially find a laptop that would cater better price point wise to those needs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#21]
The Alienware 13" laptops have an accessory that uses desktop graphics cards

I wonder how high you can go in desktop graphics cards before you start bottlenecking against the laptops CPU?...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also walmarts a few weeeks away from selling steam boxes lol.
View Quote

Que?

Any details? I thought it had been pushed to 2015...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top