User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Steambox is the "consolization" of the PC.

It takes PC's strengths: better graphics, free multiplayer, Steam sales, etc. and pairs them with console's strengths: play-from-the-couch with a controller, guaranteed performance and simple OS with basic navigation.

The Steamboxes are sold at "tiers" (ie teir 1, 2, 3) and Steam games through Steam OS will have tiered settings, so if you own a tier 1 Steam box and buy Witcher 2 (on Steam sale for $5) all you have to do is download the game and hit play and it automatically configures itself for the tier 1 box and gives you the "console experience" of the best possible graphics you can have with no "messing with settings".

I think it is genius.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems the steambox loses all the best points of a PC and doesn't gain any of the advantages of the console.

It takes PC's strengths: better graphics, free multiplayer, Steam sales, etc. and pairs them with console's strengths: play-from-the-couch with a controller, guaranteed performance and simple OS with basic navigation.

The Steamboxes are sold at "tiers" (ie teir 1, 2, 3) and Steam games through Steam OS will have tiered settings, so if you own a tier 1 Steam box and buy Witcher 2 (on Steam sale for $5) all you have to do is download the game and hit play and it automatically configures itself for the tier 1 box and gives you the "console experience" of the best possible graphics you can have with no "messing with settings".

I think it is genius.

Do you have a link describing this tier system?

In a PVP multiplayer game - will you only be paired with other people who are using a controller?  Of the same tier?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

In a PVP multiplayer game - will you only be paired with other people who are using a controller?  Of the same tier?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems the steambox loses all the best points of a PC and doesn't gain any of the advantages of the console.

I think it is genius.

They have only briefly hinted at it as the whole thing is still in beta.

They have said though that there will be multiple tiers of Steam box made by Valve and then several others made by other manufacturers at various power levels. Every box will be "ranked" and those ranks, or tiers, will determine 1. if you can run a game on Steam, 2. how well it will run and 3. what sort of graphics you can expect to have at what resolution.

As the boxes are designed to be set top boxes that connect to living room TV's via HDMI, I would imagine they are shooting for 720p60 and 1080p60 performance levels.

My guess is matchmaking will occur using Steam's normal routes... The steam boxes will be generating unique signatures to Steam, so perhaps they will corral all the steam box people into their own lobbies? I have no idea as everything is still in beta and Valve has only released barebones hints and faqs so far.

Steam box info form Valve is very barebones.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I clarified a bit in an edit.

I've been interested to see how this works out since they first discussed it a while back.  I tend to wonder what the point is.  Steamboxes will still cost whatever their equivalent level PC will cost.  Anywhere from $500 to $6,000.

You might save $90 for a Windows license...  But...  it's $90.

Will one be able to run Teamspeak?  Ventrillo?  How about install custom mods and such?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are doing that and they are supposed to be releasing a free linux based OS called "Steam OS", which is what the Steam boxes use. Info here.

I clarified a bit in an edit.

I've been interested to see how this works out since they first discussed it a while back.  I tend to wonder what the point is.  Steamboxes will still cost whatever their equivalent level PC will cost.  Anywhere from $500 to $6,000.

You might save $90 for a Windows license...  But...  it's $90.

Will one be able to run Teamspeak?  Ventrillo?  How about install custom mods and such?

It's a linux-based OS, so theoretically you should be able to crack it open and get under the hood to set up whatever other systems you want on it.  But since it isn't in the wild yet, it's impossible to say for sure.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have priced a bunch of systems since I made this OP.  

To get a good system with a good video card, you are looking at $900 without a monitor, plus or minus $100.  That is with Windows 8.1, high speed ram, a video card that is equivalent to the Nvidia GTX 760 or better, with a quad core i7 at 3.4 GHz or better, 12 gig ram, with a good 4 slot (RAM) motherboard.

This is picking the parts and building it yourself, or buying something like the Acer Predator.    Throw in another 200-300 for a 22 inch or larger monitor.  

I'm not saying you can't get a decent system for less, but this is for a system that can play all current PC releases on Ultra, comfortably, like Crysis 3 and BF4.  
I've decided to go PC instead of console.  

Reasons where in no particular order.

1.  Already have a huge Steam library for PC and cheap games on Steam are a big plus

2. PCs are upgradeable (in 2 more years, I could throw in a newer video card and be good to go for a while)

3.  Mouse and Keyboard seem way better to me than a controller (except for racing or flight sim, but I can hook up a controller if needed to the PC)

4.  Graphics seem way superior to the consoles overall.

5.  Overall, is much more fun to build/customize your own PC, over a one flavor console.

Good input in this thread, thanks much.

View Quote

I built a system 2 weeks ago for someone ended up right over 490.00 that could play any game out right now on ultra. Also I just bought a 24 inch top of the line gaming monitor for 120.00 for myself 4 weeks ago at Newegg.com

I could probably dig the links up for both if you are interested but price goes up when you wait due to sales expiring.

edit: also im not familiar with the overclocking process and im not interested due to the strain it can put on parts but I have seen recommended part kits for high 300.00's that promise when over clocked that you will be able to play any game out at the moment on ultra settings.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I built a system 2 weeks ago for someone ended up right over 490.00 that could play any game out right now on ultra. Also I just bought a 24 inch top of the line gaming monitor for 120.00 for myself 4 weeks ago at Newegg.com

I could probably dig the links up for both if you are interested but price goes up when you wait due to sales expiring.

edit: also im not familiar with the overclocking process and im not interested due to the strain it can put on parts but I have seen recommended part kits for high 300.00's that promise when over clocked that you will be able to play any game out at the moment on ultra settings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have priced a bunch of systems since I made this OP.  

To get a good system with a good video card, you are looking at $900 without a monitor, plus or minus $100.  That is with Windows 8.1, high speed ram, a video card that is equivalent to the Nvidia GTX 760 or better, with a quad core i7 at 3.4 GHz or better, 12 gig ram, with a good 4 slot (RAM) motherboard.

This is picking the parts and building it yourself, or buying something like the Acer Predator.    Throw in another 200-300 for a 22 inch or larger monitor.  

I'm not saying you can't get a decent system for less, but this is for a system that can play all current PC releases on Ultra, comfortably, like Crysis 3 and BF4.  

I've decided to go PC instead of console.  

Reasons where in no particular order.

1.  Already have a huge Steam library for PC and cheap games on Steam are a big plus
2. PCs are upgradeable (in 2 more years, I could throw in a newer video card and be good to go for a while)
3.  Mouse and Keyboard seem way better to me than a controller (except for racing or flight sim, but I can hook up a controller if needed to the PC)
4.  Graphics seem way superior to the consoles overall.
5.  Overall, is much more fun to build/customize your own PC, over a one flavor console.

Good input in this thread, thanks much.

And remember that you don't need to play all your games on ultra to get a good experience.  If we are talking on par with console gfx, it's generally going to be medium to high with 2xAA or thereabouts.

Still, I wouldn't buy a $400 gaming PC, no way, no how.  If I'm going to go through the hassle of building one, I'm going to make sure it's a good one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Enabling a "friends only" game or enabling privacy features means I play alone.

I don't have boatloads of time to sit around and play video games all day and all night, so on the odd chances I make time to do it is usually on the weekends around noon when ZERO of the people on my friends lists are playing... or they are playing games I don't own or don't want to play... so whenever I want to play an online PC game I am forced to play with the unwashed masses and I always seem to find the assholes and weirdos. I think I'm just a magnet for the scum of the internet. And because I don't have days of time to dedicate to playing games I am not an uber leet skillz ninja hacker thumb jockey. I downright suck at most of the games I play... which means online multiplayer is one long string of deaths and failures, punctuated by people telling me how terrible I am.

And what little Xbox 360 multiplayer I've played is TEN TIMES worse from an angry cussing child racist standpoint. I have never in my entire life been called a homo faggot jew ni##er except on Xbox live. Every single one of the Xbox live mutliplayer games sessions I've played, which I can count on two hands and not max out my fingers, were FRAUGHT with angry cursing children and man-children of every walk of life imaginable. The very last game I played was Xbox 360 GTA 5 online months ago and I got called every name in the book by some pre teen sounding kid as he repeatedly killed me over and over and over again just to spite me. He more or less ruined my gaming experience and I never played GTA online again because of him.

That is why I hate modern online gaming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hear what you're saying.  But it seems as if you haven't explored the privacy features available.

On a PC, you can usually set up a private server.  I ran several private setups for Counterstrike, Tribes, and so on.

On a console, generally you can set a match to "friends" only.

FWIW - I find less weirdos, racists, assholes, greifers, trolls, and especially cheaters on console (Live, specifically) than anywhere else.  One of the reasons I prefer console over PC.

Possibly because there is no text chat.  Or because there may not be general chat at all.  Possibly because live is a paid service and it hurts (at least a little) to be banned from it.  

Others experience is probably different.

Enabling a "friends only" game or enabling privacy features means I play alone.

I don't have boatloads of time to sit around and play video games all day and all night, so on the odd chances I make time to do it is usually on the weekends around noon when ZERO of the people on my friends lists are playing... or they are playing games I don't own or don't want to play... so whenever I want to play an online PC game I am forced to play with the unwashed masses and I always seem to find the assholes and weirdos. I think I'm just a magnet for the scum of the internet. And because I don't have days of time to dedicate to playing games I am not an uber leet skillz ninja hacker thumb jockey. I downright suck at most of the games I play... which means online multiplayer is one long string of deaths and failures, punctuated by people telling me how terrible I am.

And what little Xbox 360 multiplayer I've played is TEN TIMES worse from an angry cussing child racist standpoint. I have never in my entire life been called a homo faggot jew ni##er except on Xbox live. Every single one of the Xbox live mutliplayer games sessions I've played, which I can count on two hands and not max out my fingers, were FRAUGHT with angry cursing children and man-children of every walk of life imaginable. The very last game I played was Xbox 360 GTA 5 online months ago and I got called every name in the book by some pre teen sounding kid as he repeatedly killed me over and over and over again just to spite me. He more or less ruined my gaming experience and I never played GTA online again because of him.

That is why I hate modern online gaming.

Trolololololol

Takeing things a bit serious eh? This is why they flock to you its like tossing blood in the water.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Trolololololol

Takeing things a bit serious eh? This is why they flock to you its like tossing blood in the water.
View Quote

I take my free time very seriously yes, as I don't get a lot of it. And when I'm not having fun I stop doing what I'm doing and go do something else.

Just because some kids or assholes need to antagonize others to get their jollies doesn't mean other people brought it on themselves or somehow invited it. Hell, I didn't even use a headset playing Xbox... it's still in its original bag in a box somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was in the same boat last year. I learned about all of it on the ar15.com minecraft teamspeak, there are a lot of guys on their who have built their own PC's they were able to fill me in quickly. Once I was knowledgeable enough to pick my own parts I sent them copies of the stuff I had picked and had them double check it before I bought anything to make sure it was all compatible. In actuality using a gaming PC and knowing about them is vastly cheaper then console gaming for one reason. In this day and age you have to have a computer of some type at your house, so why not spend 400 dollars less and build it yourself. You get a much nicer product and you don't need or want a console when done because your PC will run games better then any console ever could.

There is even this safe to use program now called Team Viewer its lets someone safely access your PC and fix any problems you have. We have tons of nice arfcommers on the minecraft team speak who are more then willing to help you or anyone that asks with any PC problem including myself.

Learning about PC's has saved me so much money IMO its the equivalent of knowing how to fix your own car in the 70's and 80's. It will save you thousands and thousands of dollars over the span of your life and it will make you happier. Life is too short to let inanimate objects rule your life.

If you ever do end up learning how to build a PC I warn you now you will immediately realize anyone who owns a mac laptop or Imac or MacPc or whatever they call them is either insane, stupid, or living in blissful ignorance. It will blow your mind when you realize they paid 1000.00 to 2500.00 dollars for 300-400 dollars in parts and software.

Good luck to you man, if you ever get interested that teamspeak IP is Valhalla.sx

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think PCs are better, but the learning curve is way too steep for someone with my skill set, so I don't even bother.

Quoted:
Why would you ever play console when stuff like this exists?

Because I know next to nothing about PCs:

I was in the same boat last year. I learned about all of it on the ar15.com minecraft teamspeak, there are a lot of guys on their who have built their own PC's they were able to fill me in quickly. Once I was knowledgeable enough to pick my own parts I sent them copies of the stuff I had picked and had them double check it before I bought anything to make sure it was all compatible. In actuality using a gaming PC and knowing about them is vastly cheaper then console gaming for one reason. In this day and age you have to have a computer of some type at your house, so why not spend 400 dollars less and build it yourself. You get a much nicer product and you don't need or want a console when done because your PC will run games better then any console ever could.

There is even this safe to use program now called Team Viewer its lets someone safely access your PC and fix any problems you have. We have tons of nice arfcommers on the minecraft team speak who are more then willing to help you or anyone that asks with any PC problem including myself.

Learning about PC's has saved me so much money IMO its the equivalent of knowing how to fix your own car in the 70's and 80's. It will save you thousands and thousands of dollars over the span of your life and it will make you happier. Life is too short to let inanimate objects rule your life.

If you ever do end up learning how to build a PC I warn you now you will immediately realize anyone who owns a mac laptop or Imac or MacPc or whatever they call them is either insane, stupid, or living in blissful ignorance. It will blow your mind when you realize they paid 1000.00 to 2500.00 dollars for 300-400 dollars in parts and software.

Good luck to you man, if you ever get interested that teamspeak IP is Valhalla.sx

I would say the same thing about the ridiculous blanket statement in your post.   I have spent 20 years using PC's and I have had major problems with every single one of them (hard drive failures, windows constantly crashing, etc).   I have never had a major problem with my macs.   I would pay extra for that alone.   For my job I also occasionally have to process hundreds of thousands of photos and endless hours of video.   My company tried to do that on PC's and had constant problems.  You know what the company told them that provides and services their PC's?  They told them to buy a mac for that.

Plus, all of our macs run windows programs just fine in Parallels.   I can export my documents from Pages as word documents and open them up and edit them.    

I prefer playing Counter Strike on a PC and that is about it.  It runs fine on my mac but will close unexpectedly unless I have the settings on low.  

If I had to do my daily work on a PC I would go, as you so eloquently put it....  Insane.

ETA:  For the record, I don't really care what anybody else uses.  If PC's work of you great... I agree that PC's are infinitely better for gaming.    However, saying people are dumb for using macs because they are expensive is just an obtuse and prosaic way to argue a point.   Use whatever you want to use and stop caring so much about which one is better.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would say the same thing about the ridiculous blanket statement in your post.   I have spent 20 years using PC's and I have had major problems with every single one of them (hard drive failures, windows constantly crashing, etc).   I have never had a major problem with my macs.   I would pay extra for that alone.   For my job I also occasionally have to process hundreds of thousands of photos and endless hours of video.   My company tried to do that on PC's and had constant problems.  You know what the company told them that provides and services their PC's?  They told them to buy a mac for that.

Plus, all of our macs run windows programs just fine in Parallels.   I can export my documents from Pages as word documents and open them up and edit them.    

I prefer playing Counter Strike on a PC and that is about it.  It runs fine on my mac but will close unexpectedly unless I have the settings on low.  

If I had to do my daily work on a PC I would go, as you so eloquently put it....  Insane.

ETA:  For the record, I don't really care what anybody else uses.  If PC's work of you great... I agree that PC's are infinitely better for gaming.    However, saying people are dumb for using macs because they are expensive is just an obtuse and prosaic way to argue a point.   Use whatever you want to use and stop caring so much about which one is better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think PCs are better, but the learning curve is way too steep for someone with my skill set, so I don't even bother.

Quoted:
Why would you ever play console when stuff like this exists?

Because I know next to nothing about PCs:

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!

Even on arfcom (especially on arfcom?) people get super defensive whenever you have an opinion not in lockstep with theirs.  I joke about being the "PC master race" but in the end everyone should just get what they want.  Amazing idea.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

The point I was trying to get across is that a PC and a Mac have the exact same parts in them, the only difference being the shell they're in and their Operating System. Of course the Mac is dramatically more expensive then any PC and normally 1000.00 dollars or more expensive then a self built PC. In general if you have the know how to put together a PC you are saavy enough with software as well to keep Windows from crashing, EVER. Once you do that as I mentioned in my post then you get a new perspective on Macs.

FYI hard drive issues aren't a Mac vs PC thing they both use standard hard drives most of the time made by the same exact company.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The point I was trying to get across is that a PC and a Mac have the exact same parts in them, the only difference being the shell they're in and their Operating System. Of course the Mac is dramatically more expensive then any PC and normally 1000.00 dollars or more expensive then a self built PC. In general if you have the know how to put together a PC you are saavy enough with software as well to keep Windows from crashing, EVER. Once you do that as I mentioned in my post then you get a new perspective on Macs.

FYI hard drive issues aren't a Mac vs PC thing they both use standard hard drives most of the time made by the same exact company.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saying that people are stupid because they spend money on macs is a ridiculous statement not matter what point you were trying to make.   I don't have know how to build my mac or be "savvy" enough to work with the software.   Macs have always worked infinitely better for me over PC's, and it isn't even close.   The fact that they use the same parts is moot to me because PC's and Mac's haven't performed similarly for me at all.   Problems using PC's, both hardware and software, have been too numerous to count.   Using a PC for every day stuff after Windows Me was released gives me the shivers.   That crap turned a nice dell laptop into a brick for me.  Then there are all the parts I have had to replace on the PC's I've had after that.   Hard drives going bad, power supplies quitting, numerous disc read errors....etc.  I've never had anything remotely close to that on my mac.  

My perspective on macs is just fine... They make my job much easier.  If your main use for a computer is gaming I would definitely say to build/buy a PC.   With my personal experience, however,  I really would never recommend them for anything else.  

If PC's are your thing though, I definitely don't think you are dumb because I don't care what you use.    However, I just find it silly to call people stupid for choosing to use a product that has been incredibly better for whatever situation they find themselves in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll bet you $100 you can't build an equivalent PC machine for 1000 less than a PC.*

*Using standard retail pricing for standard home use type laptops or desktops.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My macs are tax write offs anyway....  

Gaming, and overall computer use, is far too subjective to say unequivocally that one is better than the other for someone other than themselves.

It would be great if you can get your hands of the stuff and do some experimenting to find what works best for you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll bet you $100 you can't build an equivalent PC machine for 1000 less than a PC.*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

ETA:  Ah, I think you must have meant equivalent for 1k less than a mac

I wouldn't take that bet.  In my (limited) research I'd say it's rarely more than $500 more.  Usually more along the order of a few C notes.  Of course, it partially depends on the model you are talking about.

Actually, that makes me curious.  Imma go check on this.

I love mac laptops, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could ever find one on sale when my current one shits the bed.  I always seem to have the worst luck where my stuff breaks and the macs are not on sale at the time.

ETA2:  Holy shit, it's nearly impossible to even tell what's roughly equivalent on Apple's site.  I think the iMacs would be the closest desktop equivalent, but they don't have an option with a real desktop graphics card - just the neutered laptop "M" versions.  What resolution is the screen?  I know they use IPS, but is it 1080, or 720?  No way they are running 1440 with the GPU options listed.  They don't even tell you what model number of processor they are using.  

Still, from a quick glance it seems unlikely that it would be 1k less.  Several (many?) hundred for sure, but not 1k.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wait, what?

I wouldn't take that bet.  In my (limited) research I'd say it's rarely more than $500 more.  Usually more along the order of a few C notes.  Of course, it partially depends on the model you are talking about.

I love mac laptops, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could ever find one on sale when my current one shits the bed.  I always seem to have the worst luck where my stuff breaks and the macs are not on sale at the time.

ETA2:  Holy shit, it's nearly impossible to even tell what's roughly equivalent on Apple's site.  I think the iMacs would be the closest desktop equivalent, but they don't have an option with a real desktop graphics card - just the neutered laptop "M" versions.  They don't even tell you what model number of processor they are using.  

Still, from a quick glance it seems unlikely that it would be 1k less.  Several (many?) hundred for sure, but not 1k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what?

ETA2:  Holy shit, it's nearly impossible to even tell what's roughly equivalent on Apple's site.  I think the iMacs would be the closest desktop equivalent, but they don't have an option with a real desktop graphics card - just the neutered laptop "M" versions.  They don't even tell you what model number of processor they are using.  

Yeah, I don't see them on sale very often either.  When I bought my macbook not too long ago the only thing that was discounted was an old version that had the regular HD's in them.   The new Macbooks all have SSD's.   I just looked and the old ones are still available... Must not be discounted enough.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since I got curious and wanted to see what the numbers actually were, here's an example.

OK, so I started with this iMac here, in it's base version (no upgrades):  Linky.  It's the cheapest one on the list that has a real (well, sorta) graphics card.  The 750M is a laptop card about on par with a desktop 640, or maybe a smidge better.  Since they don't give me the speed it's running at it's hard to tell for sure.

Here's what I came up with on pcpartpicker.   Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell for sure if this is 100% similar, because I couldn't for the life of me find a complete, detailed specs list that talks about things like number of USB ports, exact model of CPU, what the optical drive does, etc.  Still I think I got pretty close.  The only real big difference is that with the PC you will have a separate box + monitor.

With Windows and all relevant peripherals (and shipping), I came up with $715 for the PC build, vs $1500 for the iMac.  So you would save just under $800 by going with a BYO PC vs a mac.  I actually could pretty easily push it over 1k savings if I started to add in some of the additional options they list - they want an extra $200 () for 8 more gigs of RAM.

PC part picker list

So in the end, yeah, it's actually possible to get to the 1k savings number with PC vs mac, and probably more the higher up the list of pricey Macs you go.  However, it's still ultimately up to what works for each individual user the best.  Macs have some pretty big upsides for a lot of people that make them worth the extra scratch, and that's fine by me.

ETA:  Also, this has now somehow devolved from a PC vs console debate to a PC vs Mac debate.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Since I got curious and wanted to see what the numbers actually were, here's an example.

OK, so I started with this iMac here, in it's base version (no upgrades):  Linky.  It's the cheapest one on the list that has a real (well, sorta) graphics card.  The 750M is a laptop card about on par with a desktop 640, or maybe a smidge better.  Since they don't give me the speed it's running at it's hard to tell for sure.

Here's what I came up with on pcpartpicker.   Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell for sure if this is 100% similar, because I couldn't for the life of me find a complete, detailed specs list that talks about things like number of USB ports, exact model of CPU, what the optical drive does, etc.  Still I think I got pretty close.  The only real big difference is that with the PC you will have a separate box + monitor.

With Windows and all relevant peripherals (and shipping), I came up with $715 for the PC build, vs $1500 for the iMac.  So you would save just under $800 by going with a BYO PC vs a mac.  I actually could pretty easily push it over 1k savings if I started to add in some of the additional options they list - they want an extra $200 () for 8 more gigs of RAM.

PC part picker list

So in the end, yeah, it's actually possible to get to the 1k savings number with PC vs mac, and probably more the higher up the list of pricey Macs you go.  However, it's still ultimately up to what works for each individual user the best.  Macs have some pretty big upsides for a lot of people that make them worth the extra scratch, and that's fine by me.

ETA:  Also, this has now somehow devolved from a PC vs console debate to a PC vs Mac debate.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PC part picker list

I'm going to be picky and say comparing an iMac to a traditional parts built machine is not an equivalent comparison. In truth the iMac should be compared to another "all in one" machine from dell or whoever makes something with the same type of form factor.  It's really more laptop than desktop.

I believe the iMacs have a retina display, but would have to look it up to be sure.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

PC part picker list

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PC part picker list

Couldn't get your link to work.  I am on my PC so that could be why ( ).  Does $715 include a monitor with similar specs?  Just curious.  

And, you are right.. I shouldn't have said anything. I just think it is small-minded to call people stupid for using macs because they are expensive.   We tried PC's.. They just didn't get job the done efficiently.  Our macs have probably paid for themselves in man hours saved.  

But anyway... Like I said earlier...  consoles and PC's can both be fun.. GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm going to be picky and say comparing an iMac to a traditional parts built machine is not an equivalent comparison. In truth the iMac should be compared to another "all in one" machine from dell or whoever makes something with the same type of form factor.  It's really more laptop than desktop.

I believe the iMacs have a retina display, but would have to look it up to be sure.  
View Quote

Yeah, the problem is that you can't custom build an all-in-one system, so there is no 1-to-1 comparison option in existance.  I just got as close as I could specs-wise, since that is all the better I can do.  A laptop would be a closer comparison, but you can't custom build a laptop either, so the comparison is still null.

Is a 22" iMac really any more "portable" than a separate monitor and small form factor case?  I'm genuinely curious.  Practically speaking, I don't see a scenario where you are gonna be taking either one on the road; that's what a laptop is for.  And if you do need to take it with you, it seems to be about the same amount of hassle, except for an extra cable or two to hook up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does $715 include a monitor with similar specs?  Just curious.  
View Quote

22" 1080p monitor, keyboard/mouse, and maybe speakers (I actually don't remember if I added those, lol).  Since apple doesn't deign to give me the monitor specs (resolution, backlight, ms lag time, etc.), I can't say for sure how close it is.  Same resolution is about as good as I could do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

22" 1080p monitor, keyboard/mouse, and maybe speakers (I actually don't remember if I added those, lol).  Since apple doesn't deign to give me the monitor specs (resolution, backlight, ms lag time, etc.), I can't say for sure how close it is.  Same resolution is about as good as I could do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know much about the monitor either.  I do prefer watching movies and the look of games on my iMac monitor over my BenQ however.   There is nothing wrong the BenQ, i like it, but the colors look a little flat in comparison.  Well, to me at least.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't know much about the monitor either.  I do prefer watching movies and the look of games on my iMac monitor over my BenQ however.   There is nothing wrong the BenQ, i like it, but the colors look a little flat in comparison.  Well, to me at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they use an IPS screen.  But most of the IPS screens available separately these days are 1440p, and I know that the 750M can't drive that resolution.  So I think it's probably a 1080p version.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:40:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think they use an IPS screen.  But most of the IPS screens available separately these days are 1440p, and I know that the 750M can't drive that resolution.  So I think it's probably a 1080p version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The graphics card in my iMac is a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.   This iMac is a couple years old now though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, the problem is that you can't custom build an all-in-one system, so there is no 1-to-1 comparison option in existance.  I just got as close as I could specs-wise, since that is all the better I can do.  A laptop would be a closer comparison, but you can't custom build a laptop either, so the comparison is still null.

Is a 22" iMac really any more "portable" than a separate monitor and small form factor case?  I'm genuinely curious.  Practically speaking, I don't see a scenario where you are gonna be taking either one on the road; that's what a laptop is for.  And if you do need to take it with you, it seems to be about the same amount of hassle, except for an extra cable or two to hook up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is sorta my point.  The best one can do for the traditional parts built comparison to an Apple computer is to compare it against either the Mac Mini (for which there is nowhere near $1000 of wiggle room) or the Mac Pro.  Which is a workstation class desktop with Xeon processors and dual CAD graphics cards.

Perhaps someone could find $1000 in the Mac Pro...  but I still doubt it.

Also - as a former Corporate IT guy, I would have killed for a similar (but less expensive) all in one type PC.  I can't explain how dumbified users get when hooking up computers.  Saying "put this on your desk and plug the keyboard, mouse, and power cords in" would have been heaven.  Not the same animal we're discussing, I know.  I just can't describe how some folks brains seem to shut down when they are presented with two boxes instead of one.  It's amazing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

The 21.5" iMac is 1920x1080

The 27" iMac is 2560x1440

The GT750M card is the same card used in the 15" MBP with retina display which is 2880x1800

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The graphics card in my iMac is a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.   This iMac is a couple years old now though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good frame rates on a 1440p monitor require very, very high end cards.  We are talking GTX780 level cards.  Especially if you want to take advantage of the 120hz refresh rates on a lot of the new ones out there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The GT750M card is the same card used in the 15" MBP with retina display which is 2880x1800

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, a specs sheet!  

Well, kinda.  But at least we have the resolution, if nothing else.

Sorry, I should have specified "can't drive that resolution for gaming."  The 750M is a card that will be running way sub-30fps for gaming on anything higher than 1080p.  All it is is a normal desktop GT750 card, which is solidly middlish end already and won't do well over 1080, hobbled for lower power consumption and a smaller form factor for laptops, etc.  For normal computer type tasks I'm assuming it would work fine, since the vast majority of your requirements are going to the CPU and not GPU in non-gaming scenarios.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Good frame rates on a 1440p monitor require very, very high end cards.  We are talking GTX780 level cards.  Especially if you want to take advantage of the 120hz refresh rates on a lot of the new ones out there.
View Quote

That is interesting... I have the 27" iMac, and I haven't noticed anything unusual while watching movies or videos.   I haven't played any games on this iMac other than CS, but I am sure that is probably all it can handle.   CS runs a lot better than it did at first.  If I have the settings at medium or below it works great.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That is interesting... I have the 27" iMac, and I haven't noticed anything unusual while watching movies or videos.   I haven't played any games on this iMac other than CS, but I am sure that is probably all it can handle.   CS runs a lot better than it did at first.  If I have the settings at medium or below it works great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With movies and videos, the GPU isn't doing much work compared with the rendering and computing requirements of gaming.

I'm sure games will "run" on high resolution screens with a 750M.  But you won't have a good experience - you'll either be turning the specs waaaaay down like you do on your mac (consider that CS is hardly a heavy hitter graphics wise already, so the fact that you have to turn the settings of even a game like that down to medium is telling), or dealing with ass-level framerates.  And even with the resolution turned down, you won't be likely (I don't have first-hand experience, so I want to be cautious in saying that for sure) to be hitting great framerates anyway.  You'd have to run Fraps or whatever the mac equivalent is to be sure, but I doubt that you are hitting 60fps in CS, even with the settings turned down.  

Half Life 2 or similarly old games probably will allow you to have both high settings and good frames, but Skyrim?  Yeah, no.  And forget twitchy shooters like counterstrike at high settings.  As you said, it might run on lowered settings, but it won't run great maxed out.  Certainly not to the 60fps level that you need for those sorts of games.

Just as a disclaimer, I haven't tried this stuff in the real world, so I'm not speaking from a wealth of experience with macs and GPUs and games.  But just by looking at benchmarks it becomes clear that it isn't capable of putting out enough power for good frame rates at good resolutions for games.  If a PC can't make it happen, neither can a mac.  Of all the GPUs the Imacs use, only the 780M starts to get to level of what would probably be an acceptable gaming experience for most newer games at high resolutions + high fps.  But even then it's now pushing 1440 and the mobile card is not going to give you as good of performance as the ungimped desktop model.

Though again, I don't know of too many (any?) people who buy a mac *for* gaming.  Macs aren't really designed for it; they excel in other areas.  So to complain that they suck at gaming really wouldn't be fair, since it's not part of the design parameters.

ETA:  IIRC you recently bought a normal desktop 750 for your counterstrike PC.  That's going to give you better performance than the mobile 750M version.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

With movies and videos, the GPU isn't doing much work compared with the rendering and computing requirements of gaming.

I'm sure games will "run" on high resolution screens with a 750M.  But you won't have a good experience - you'll either be turning the specs waaaaay down like you do on your mac (consider that CS is hardly a heavy hitter graphics wise already, so the fact that you have to turn the settings of even a game like that down to medium is telling), or dealing with ass-level framerates.  And even with the resolution turned down, you won't be likely (I don't have first-hand experience, so I want to be cautious in saying that for sure) to be hitting great framerates anyway.  You'd have to run Fraps or whatever the mac equivalent is to be sure, but I doubt that you are hitting 60fps in CS, even with the settings turned down.  

Half Life 2 or similarly old games probably will allow you to have both high settings and good frames, but Skyrim?  Yeah, no.  And forget twitchy shooters like counterstrike at high settings.  As you said, it might run on lowered settings, but it won't run great maxed out.  Certainly not to the 60fps level that you need for those sorts of games.

Just as a disclaimer, I haven't tried this stuff in the real world, so I'm not speaking from a wealth of experience with macs and GPUs and games.  But just by looking at benchmarks it becomes clear that it isn't capable of putting out enough power for good frame rates at good resolutions for games.  If a PC can't make it happen, neither can a mac.  Of all the GPUs the Imacs use, only the 780M starts to get to level of what would probably be an acceptable gaming experience for most newer games at high resolutions + high fps.  But even then it's now pushing 1440 and the mobile card is not going to give you as good of performance as the ungimped desktop model.

Though again, I don't know of too many (any?) people who buy a mac *for* gaming.  Macs aren't really designed for it; they excel in other areas.  So to complain that they suck at gaming really wouldn't be fair, since it's not part of the design parameters.

ETA:  IIRC you recently bought a normal desktop 750 for your counterstrike PC.  That's going to give you better performance than the mobile 750M version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I had an old PC that I upgraded with the GPU and RAM you recommended.  Thanks for that again, by the way.  It is the GTX 750 ti.   That is what I will be using for CS once I get the mouse and keyboard set up.    My mac will run CS on high, but it crashes too much.   Once I turned down the settings it runs ok.  

It is sort of weird though..  I have watched several pro CS players stream their games and almost all of them have all of the settings on low.  I don't know why that is...  Are they just trying to max out FPS or something? I haven't thought to ask while I am watching.  

For example Hiko who is a really good pro CS player puts his monitor on a lower resolution so it looks stretched out a bit and then all game settings are on low.  He gets really high FPS so I just assumed that was probably why.  I don't think it is because they are streaming either because I have seen frame rates in the 300-400 range on that little counter in the bottom of the screen.  I'm sure they could raise the settings a little and still be ok.  Of course, I don't really have a clue about that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, I had an old PC that I upgraded with the GPU and RAM you recommended.  Thanks for that again, by the way.  It is the GTX 750 ti.   That is what I will be using for CS once I get the mouse and keyboard set up.    My mac will run CS on high, but it crashes too much.   Once I turned down the settings it runs ok.  

It is sort of weird though..  I have watched several pro CS players stream their games and almost all of them have all of the settings on low.  I don't know why that is...  Are they just trying to max out FPS or something? I haven't thought to ask while I am watching.  

For example Hiko who is a really good pro CS player puts his monitor on a lower resolution so it looks stretched out a bit and then all game settings are on low.  He gets really high FPS so I just assumed that was probably why.  I don't think it is because they are streaming either because I have seen frame rates in the 300-400 range on that little counter in the bottom of the screen.  I'm sure they could raise the settings a little and still be ok.  Of course, I don't really have a clue about that kind of stuff.
View Quote

Low settings = higher FPS.  Less clutter too - haze, grass, shadows, etc are all lessened or removed, so there isn't as much stuff distracting your vision.  Some of the higher end guys might be running 240hz monitors, though I don't know if they even make monitors that have a higher refresh rate than that.  So people with 300+ FPS are probably not getting any real-world benefit on screen.

Personally, I like my games to look pretty, so I try to set my settings as high as possible while still getting 50-60fps, which is acceptably smooth for most of the games I play.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#33]
The cs pro's must hav some janky systems then i have everything maxed and i never dip below 285 fps on GO
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The cs pro's must hav some janky systems then i have everything maxed and i never dip below 285 fps on GO
View Quote

It's not just them... I have yet to see any settings above a medium for anybody that I have watched.   The streamers on twitch who play CS regularly do it as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#35]
The best games are on PC and have the greatest graphics and mods, updates etc.  This platform also allows you to do many other things like internet, house hold budgets, writing stuff etc.  Consoles are just for games and are limited to the parts that come with them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

They play on the lowest settings for the least amount of input lag.  I have a 780ti and I play cs on all low.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top