Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to either be a real hardcore PC lover or be really into the RPG/Strategy genre to justify playing on a PC over one of the consoles in today's world.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to either be a real hardcore PC lover or be really into the RPG/Strategy genre adult to justify playing on a PC over one of the consoles in today's world.
View Quote

FIFY

Konsoles are for Kids
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You have to either be a real hardcore PC lover or be really into the RPG/Strategy genre to justify playing on a PC over one of the consoles in today's world.
View Quote

Such a broad statement with no effort in providing reasons why its a valid opinion.

PC>console
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why is this?   Graphics?, Price?  Controls?   Why do you think the PC is a lower end platform for the other genres of games than consoles?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
PC, baby.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

How do you figure? My favorite pc game at the moment is Gunz 2. Its a game that you need pin point accuracy at super high speeds, it would be impossible to play on a console due to the inferior FPS controls. Not only that but they just don't make it for console.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Got bored this morning while sippin some coffee and put this pc together on PC partpicker.

Here is the link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PD8QwP

Its way better then Xbox1 or PS4 and its the same price, this one runs about 480 dollars. Once your in the door with a pc like this it is stupidly easy to upgrade as well. In a few years you want to enhance performance just throw in a better video card it wont cost you much and you wont have to buy a 500 dollar console to play newer games. All your old games will work on this FOREVER, you don't ever have to deal with discs again. FYI newer computers don't even need disc drives. It has 3 times the hard drive space that a standard console has so you wont run out of room any time soon, actually running out of room wont even be in your mind because you will never get close. The accessories are cheaper, the games are cheaper and look nicer. You can use any kind of controller you want, and do anything you want on it.

Why would you ever play console when stuff like this exists?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I've given up on consoles completely and have gone complete PC.  Only thing I do console related is old Neo Geo
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've given up on consoles completely and have gone complete PC.  Only thing I do console related is old Neo Geo
View Quote

Aw sweet, did you get one of those new handheld ones?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did.  It is already dead in future production
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got bored this morning while sippin some coffee and put this pc together on PC partpicker.

Its way better then Xbox1 or PS4 and its the same price, this one runs about 480 dollars. Once your in the door with a pc like this it is stupidly easy to upgrade as well. In a few years you want to enhance performance just throw in a better video card it wont cost you much and you wont have to buy a 500 dollar console to play newer games. All your old games will work on this FOREVER, you don't ever have to deal with discs again. FYI newer computers don't even need disc drives. It has 3 times the hard drive space that a standard console has so you wont run out of room any time soon, actually running out of room wont even be in your mind because you will never get close. The accessories are cheaper, the games are cheaper and look nicer. You can use any kind of controller you want, and do anything you want on it.

View Quote

Ironically, Microsoft wanted to go "disc free" with the XBox One and people flipped out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ironically, Microsoft wanted to go "disc free" with the XBox One and people flipped out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In fairness, the PC space is very different from the console world in how people still play their games.  Many console players still love their physical media (see: midnight releases), while PC players haven't seriously bothered with that stuff for 5+ years - partly due to larger storage capacities on PCs, and partly due to the added PC-only benefits of programs like Steam (sales, back catalog, etc).  Microsoft jumped the gun by not giving people enough of a carrot to go along with the stick of losing the disc and dealing with the draconian measures like the 24hr check-ins.  Telling people their stuff is locked to their account and doesn't need a disc doesn't work when most people want to trade that disc in a few weeks later because they no longer play the game.

I think MS still will come out with a discless X1 at some point.  It's inevitable.  Same with Sony and the PS4.  Something with a 1TB HDD and no disc drive at a ~$100 price cut would probably move quite a few and bring the future faster.  Especially if they all get the with the PC program and start releasing digital versions at a cheaper cost.  They need to give console gamers who are still wedded to the traditional idea of discs and trade-ins a good reason to want to switch to a digital marketplace.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]
PC gaming is far superior.  All these people that say it is not have either A.) Never owned a decent PC gaming rig, or B.) Never tried it.

All this game consoles are better because they use controllers is B.S.

You can still use a controller on a PC, but the mouse and keyboard is lightyears ahead of the gamepads.

Also, you lose the ability to use Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering filtering on consoles.  There is also a huge lack of frames per second that I can't stand.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:28:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I really depends on what you are playing.  If you want to buy the new games at launch, then you'll be paying about the same as with a console, though there are a few AAA games out there these days where the PC version is only $50 as opposed to the $60 console version.  On the other hand, if you are just looking for something cool to play that might be a year old, it's likely that it will be a good deal cheaper on PC than console, even used.

Which reminds me of one of the biggest pluses to PC gaming IMO, which is the back catalog.  Since there are no hard "generations" of PCs, I can play all my games on my new PC, no matter how old they are.  I can pull out Call of Duty 1 right now and install it on my newish PC, right alongside the latest next-gen only title.  Heck, I could set up a virtual DOS box and run early '90s titles if I wanted to.  Consoles don't have that option.  You can only play games from that current generation, unless you keep your old hardware around ().  So once the X1 and PS4 come into their own, all those great games from the 360/PS3 era are lost to you, except for the special few that they port over to next-gen.  

We are slowly starting to see a change in this area as consoles begin to roll out streaming services like PSNow, but even that will never be as good of a solution as you will find on the PC - these console services require a good internet connection, you can only play the games that they decide to put on the service, and even if they eventually get both of those issues fixed the underlying downside is that you still have to the pay a second time for the privilege of playing these old games that you already bought once years ago, and may even still have copies of in your possession.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stopped playing PC games due to several limiting factors:

1) Cost. As a poor family guy I could either bust out the cash for a console or try to upgrade my crappy ass PC. Buying a new PC was out.
2) Console game selection is greater, again I am speaking from a family man here with a limited budget. I can buy cheap console games at the pawn shop for 10 bucks all day. I can preorder games on layaway from the game store.
3)Trying to keep my PC virus free, and having to micromanage all the background crap to inhance my crappy PC preformance was a PITA.
4) Gaming hardware such as programmable mouse/keyboard were costly and while  not needed to play to play well these helped greatly.
5) Simplicity of use and controls. Just about any 5 year old can master a console. If it craps out, well the console is broken. When the PC crashes people get pissed at the ADMIN (me) because it aint working.

I think PC games have better qualities such as better games, graphics, ect. but dollar wise it is a pricey option. Plus my son has a large netowrk of friends that play consoles vs PC so that makes it a better option for him.

Your doing something wrong, as stated above most PC games these days range from free to 10 dollars. My two favorite PC games were free.

I really depends on what you are playing.  If you want to buy the new games at launch, then you'll be paying about the same as with a console, though there are a few AAA games out there these days where the PC version is only $50 as opposed to the $60 console version.  On the other hand, if you are just looking for something cool to play that might be a year old, it's likely that it will be a good deal cheaper on PC than console, even used.

Which reminds me of one of the biggest pluses to PC gaming IMO, which is the back catalog.  Since there are no hard "generations" of PCs, I can play all my games on my new PC, no matter how old they are.  I can pull out Call of Duty 1 right now and install it on my newish PC, right alongside the latest next-gen only title.  Heck, I could set up a virtual DOS box and run early '90s titles if I wanted to.  Consoles don't have that option.  You can only play games from that current generation, unless you keep your old hardware around ().  So once the X1 and PS4 come into their own, all those great games from the 360/PS3 era are lost to you, except for the special few that they port over to next-gen.  

We are slowly starting to see a change in this area as consoles begin to roll out streaming services like PSNow, but even that will never be as good of a solution as you will find on the PC - these console services require a good internet connection, you can only play the games that they decide to put on the service, and even if they eventually get both of those issues fixed the underlying downside is that you still have to the pay a second time for the privilege of playing these old games that you already bought once years ago, and may even still have copies of in your possession.

This. PC games are cheaper than console games. I paid $48 for an ME3 pre-order; many big titles go down that cheap as a pre-order. Steam/Amazon sales are amazing to. ME2 was down to $5 within a year, as was Tomb Raider. Overall PC gaming is more expensive, but not by much when factoring in things like expensive DLC, less frequent sales and pay to play online.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:44:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understand what you're saying.  But realize that it's only important to someone IF they prefer those types of games and IF they refuse to use a controller.

I grew up with a PC.  I personally don't care to play a top down RTS game with a controller.  But lots of folks played and enjoyed the HALO RTS that was released.  I did myself, though it took some getting used to.

When you're playing on a console you know the person on the other end is using the same equipment (not just controller but all equipment) to do the same things.  Frankly, I think that's a plus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And believe me, I'm not a blind "PC master race" kind of guy.  I know full well that consoles have certain advantages over PCs, and I'm also fully aware that some (a lot of) people prefer the feel of a controller to a kb/m.  And that's absolutely fine and I'm not saying that one scheme is always better than the other.  What I am saying is that PCs have an advantage because they can use either, or both at the same time, while consoles are locked to just controllers.

I understand what you're saying.  But realize that it's only important to someone IF they prefer those types of games and IF they refuse to use a controller.

I grew up with a PC.  I personally don't care to play a top down RTS game with a controller.  But lots of folks played and enjoyed the HALO RTS that was released.  I did myself, though it took some getting used to.

When you're playing on a console you know the person on the other end is using the same equipment (not just controller but all equipment) to do the same things.  Frankly, I think that's a plus.

Um no http://xim4.com/. Watch the videos if you want to watch people get owned by a kb + mouse on console.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Um no http://xim4.com/. Watch the videos if you want to watch people get owned by a kb + mouse on console.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And believe me, I'm not a blind "PC master race" kind of guy.  I know full well that consoles have certain advantages over PCs, and I'm also fully aware that some (a lot of) people prefer the feel of a controller to a kb/m.  And that's absolutely fine and I'm not saying that one scheme is always better than the other.  What I am saying is that PCs have an advantage because they can use either, or both at the same time, while consoles are locked to just controllers.

While that's supposed to be a great system (I've thought about getting it myself for my PS3/4, since I still greatly prefer kb/m and don't play console games enough to get fully used to a controller), the xim and other adaptation hardware sets are so niche that his point is still basically true, IMO.  I'd guess the total percentage of console players who use a kb/m adapter have to be under, what, 0.1%? 0.01%?  It's a tiny number, and frankly because they require a bit of techie-type knowledge to set up and configure it's likely that most of those folks are primarily PC players anyway who have the skillset to do that (and like the keyvboard).  The vast, vast majority of console players are using the same control scheme.

On the other hand, the vast, vast majority of PC players who play online are using a keyboard, so I'd say that they aren't much different in the "everyone on the platform has the same setup" category.  But still, I think his point is valid.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

While that's supposed to be a great system (I've thought about getting it myself for my PS3/4, since I still greatly prefer kb/m and don't play console games enough to get fully used to a controller), the xim and other adaptation hardware sets are so niche that his point is still basically true, IMO.  I'd guess the total percentage of console players who use a kb/m adapter have to be under, what, 0.1%? 0.01%?  It's a tiny number, and frankly because they require a bit of techie-type knowledge to set up and configure it's likely that most of those folks are primarily PC players anyway who have the skillset to do that (and like the keyvboard).  The vast, vast majority of console players are using the same control scheme.

On the other hand, the vast, vast majority of PC players who play online are using a keyboard, so I'd say that they aren't much different in the "everyone on the platform has the same setup" category.  But still, I think his point is valid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still disagree.  It doesn't have to be a xim.  The few times a year I play console I do so on a CRT tv.  I top frag against people that play console year round because most people play consoles on laggy LCD tvs.

Dbl tap
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still disagree.  It doesn't have to be a xim.  The few times a year I play console I do so on a CRT tv.  I top frag against people that play console year round because most people play consoles on laggy LCD tvs
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#19]

These things don't fit into a console for a reason, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: I still disagree.  It doesn't have to be a xim.  The few times a year I play console I do so on a CRT tv.  I top frag against people that play console year round because most people play consoles on laggy LCD tvs
View Quote

Yeah, I have been in that situation.  I used to play console on my large plasma TV.   When I finally got a gaming monitor the difference was shocking.   I have  BenQ now for my xbox and PC.  My connection isn't all that great, but switching to the monitor made it seem like I had a much better connection
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty happy with PC gaming still. I always have access to my entire collection of games from the last couple of decades, plus emulators for older consoles and handhelds, amazing graphics, and some pretty awesome mods.

The amount of money I've saved on game sales and Humble Bundles has more than made up for the extra money I've spent on hardware.

For FPSs, strategy games, and MMOs I have a good keyboard and mouse. For racing games and platformers I have a PS4 controller that works great. There's dozens of other controllers to choose from as well.

And I have an HDMI cable run to the TV so I can always play on the big TV away from my desk when I feel like it.

I can even kick back and enjoy Skyrim just like you would on a console, but with massively improved graphics and some excellent mods.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a 4790k, and am waiting on the 880 gtx (now known as the 900 series) before I swap out my current 7970.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Lord Gaben approves.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:36:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
okay, so the only thing I could say a console has ever had going for it (other than a big screen TV) is your opponent(s) are in the room with you, that's something I don't remember happening on a PC, although I did a few LAN parties in my day.  Endless summers playing Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Fifa, Madden, NHL on the SNES with my neighbor.
View Quote

LAN parties were the shit.  Many hours were spent in Battlefield 1942 and BF2 back in the day.  Plus Quake.

Nowadays I'd guess that most console players do almost all of their gaming, whether coop or adversarial, with friends online rather than next to them.  I mean, Destiny heavily stresses play with friends, and it doesn't even have the option for local coop.  I think Nintendo is the only console maker left that really pushes the "couch coop" angle, and that's only because they have a shitty/non-existent online infrastructure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#27]
LAN parties were a direct result of the technology of the times.  

Nowadays, everyone has some sort of high speed internet.  Online gaming as we know it today is the modern 'LAN party.'
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LAN parties were a direct result of the technology of the times.  

Nowadays, everyone has some sort of high speed internet.  Online gaming as we know it today is the modern 'LAN party.'
View Quote

It just doesn't have the same feeling though.

For me it was really fun back in the 90s playing Doom and Rise of the Triad on the work network against a bunch of guys in the same room after hours. It just had this vibe, this notion that you were playing with actual friends who you could throw a pencil at if you wanted. There was no "teamspeak"... teamspeak was yelling at the guy two cubicles up. It was just... fun.

Today it is a bunch of random strangers in lord knows where... shit, 99% of the people on my video game "friends" lists are people I have never once even met in real life. And that is just... I dunno... not that fun to me. And to make matters worse in almost every online game you can't just play exclusively with your friends, you have to play with or against complete strangers... and some of those strangers are weirdos, racists, assholes, griefers, trolls, cheaters or just plain old sonofabitch motherfuckers that I would rather push down a flight of stairs than play a friendly video game with.

Which is why I tend to avoid modern strangerplayer games like the plague.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It just doesn't have the same feeling though.

For me it was really fun back in the 90s playing Doom and Rise of the Triad on the work network against a bunch of guys in the same room after hours. It just had this vibe, this notion that you were playing with actual friends who you could throw a pencil at if you wanted. There was no "teamspeak"... teamspeak was yelling at the guy two cubicles up. It was just... fun.

Today it is a bunch of random strangers in lord knows where... shit, 99% of the people on my video game "friends" lists are people I have never once even met in real life. And that is just... I dunno... not that fun to me. And to make matters worse in almost every online game you can't just play exclusively with your friends, you have to play with or against complete strangers... and some of those strangers are weirdos, racists, assholes, griefers, trolls, cheaters or just plain old sonofabitch motherfuckers that I would rather push down a flight of stairs than play a friendly video game with.

Which is why I tend to avoid modern strangerplayer games like the plague.
View Quote

I hear what you're saying.  But it seems as if you haven't explored the privacy features available.

On a PC, you can usually set up a private server.  I ran several private setups for Counterstrike, Tribes, and so on.

On a console, generally you can set a match to "friends" only.

FWIW - I find less weirdos, racists, assholes, greifers, trolls, and especially cheaters on console (Live, specifically) than anywhere else.  One of the reasons I prefer console over PC.

Possibly because there is no text chat.  Or because there may not be general chat at all.  Possibly because live is a paid service and it hurts (at least a little) to be banned from it.  

Others experience is probably different.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I think PCs are better, but the learning curve is way too steep for someone with my skill set, so I don't even bother.

Quoted:
View Quote

Because I know next to nothing about PCs:
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I think PCs are better, but the learning curve is way too steep for someone with my skill set, so I don't even bother.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was in the same boat last year. I learned about all of it on the ar15.com minecraft teamspeak, there are a lot of guys on their who have built their own PC's they were able to fill me in quickly. Once I was knowledgeable enough to pick my own parts I sent them copies of the stuff I had picked and had them double check it before I bought anything to make sure it was all compatible. In actuality using a gaming PC and knowing about them is vastly cheaper then console gaming for one reason. In this day and age you have to have a computer of some type at your house, so why not spend 400 dollars less and build it yourself. You get a much nicer product and you don't need or want a console when done because your PC will run games better then any console ever could.

There is even this safe to use program now called Team Viewer its lets someone safely access your PC and fix any problems you have. We have tons of nice arfcommers on the minecraft team speak who are more then willing to help you or anyone that asks with any PC problem including myself.

Learning about PC's has saved me so much money IMO its the equivalent of knowing how to fix your own car in the 70's and 80's. It will save you thousands and thousands of dollars over the span of your life and it will make you happier. Life is too short to let inanimate objects rule your life.

If you ever do end up learning how to build a PC I warn you now you will immediately realize anyone who owns a mac laptop or Imac or MacPc or whatever they call them is either insane, stupid, or living in blissful ignorance. It will blow your mind when you realize they paid 1000.00 to 2500.00 dollars for 300-400 dollars in parts and software.

Good luck to you man, if you ever get interested that teamspeak IP is Valhalla.sx

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was in the same boat last year. I learned about all of it on the ar15.com minecraft teamspeak, there are a lot of guys on their who have built their own PC's they were able to fill me in quickly. Once I was knowledgeable enough to pick my own parts I sent them copies of the stuff I had picked and had them double check it before I bought anything to make sure it was all compatible. In actuality using a gaming PC and knowing about them is vastly cheaper then console gaming for one reason. In this day and age you have to have a computer of some type at your house, so why not spend 400 dollars less and build it yourself. You get a much nicer product and you don't need or want a console when done because your PC will run games better then any console ever could.

There is even this safe to use program now called Team Viewer its lets someone safely access your PC and fix any problems you have. We have tons of nice arfcommers on the minecraft team speak who are more then willing to help you or anyone that asks with any PC problem including myself.

Learning about PC's has saved me so much money IMO its the equivalent of knowing how to fix your own car in the 70's and 80's. It will save you thousands and thousands of dollars over the span of your life and it will make you happier. Life is too short to let inanimate objects rule your life.

If you ever do end up learning how to build a PC I warn you now you will immediately realize anyone who owns a mac laptop or Imac or MacPc or whatever they call them is either insane, stupid, or living in blissful ignorance. It will blow your mind when you realize they paid 1000.00 to 2500.00 dollars for 300-400 dollars in parts and software.

Good luck to you man, if you ever get interested that teamspeak IP is Valhalla.sx

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Guilty.

When I say that I know next to nothing about PCs, I don't mean "I don't know how to build one," I mean I have no clue how to even use one. (Now do you see what I mean by "steep learning curve"?)

I abandoned PCs and Windows 12 years ago, because I found them very non-intuitive and extremely difficult to use; doing anything always seemed much more complicated than it needed to be.

The extra cost of a Mac is no big deal to me. I call it the "Sanity Tax," and I'm happy to pay it. To have a PC for gaming would literally mean learning how to use a computer all over again.

Another thing to consider, it would never be used for anything other than gaming (I have a computer I actually like for that stuff), so it wouldn't be anything more than a glorified console to me - one I'd be unable to fix, should something go wrong.

I enjoy the simplicity of popping a disc into the XB1 or PS4, laying down on the couch, and gaming on my 80" TV. For me, a PC would turn gaming into a chore... which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was all for console gaming until I got the Xbox One.  Now I'm leaning towards PC because for what a gaming console entertainment center costs I can upgrade my PC and do everything the X1 is trying to do, only better, with my existing hardware.
View Quote

I enjoy consoles. I do. I have owned every console since NES. Currently own a PS4. But, in the end, PC is my go to machine for most of my gaming.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't be obtuse.  

If a person is to have one personal computer, odds are it's a laptop.  Laptops have outsold desktops for years.   Portable devices (laptops, tablets, crossovers, etc) have outsold desktops more than 2 to 1 in recent years.  The fastest growing segment is the sub $400 segment.

Hardly anyone is buying desktops any more.  

Further, I call bullshit on your 300-400 in parts and software.  Windows alone is $90.  A good gaming monitor is $200.  And it's still a desktop, not a laptop.

If you're going to compare oranges then compare oranges.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Get both. Ignore the 'tards devoted to one camp like a religion.

Everything has a place and advantages. Only the blind won't see that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If a person is to have one personal computer, odds are it's a laptop.  Laptops have outsold desktops for years.   Portable devices (laptops, tablets, crossovers, etc) have outsold desktops more than 2 to 1 in recent years.  The fastest growing segment is the sub $400 segment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not going to find a laptop that you can game on for $400. Most of the people who are buying laptops, tablets, etc are students who are required to have them for school/college. If you're a gamer who wants to play games and doesn't want to spend $1,000, desktops are where it's at.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Don't be obtuse.  

Further, I call bullshit on your 300-400 in parts and software.  Windows alone is $90.  A good gaming monitor is $200.  And it's still a desktop, not a laptop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be obtuse.  

Windows is free if you have a student email address, which anyone who has taken a class at a community college has. If you already own windows and you have never been to college all you need is an upgrade disk, those range from 25 dollars to 50 dollars. Literally the best gaming monitor money can buy which are any of the 2ms BenQ's are 120.00$ sometimes less when they are on sale. You can Craigslist/backpage monitors for cheaper then that but at 120.00 you really don't have to. Anyone who has owned a PC before already has a monitor though.

This guy puts together a "hackintosh" for 400.00, yes they are 400 dollars in parts or less depending on how much effort you put into getting the parts at a cheaper price.

http://youtu.be/Ldbq1Y1UlII

I don't know why you would want to though the bulk of the best programs aren't compatible with the mac OS.

I realize most people have laptops and not PC's that is a personal choice I notice most people who have laptops NEVER take those laptops out of their house. If they want to pay the extra that's on them. Not to mention laptops are terrible for gaming and this is a thread in the gaming section so I assume we are talking about gaming. If you want to seriously game on a computer at this point in time you need desktop. If you absolutely must have a laptop you will stay pay a lot less possibly even half price for a comparable windows laptop to a macbook. It will run nicer and have more options and more versatility as long as you run a firewall and dont download strange porn on it until it breaks. But this is a thread in the gaming section so laptops are out of the question anyway.

Last week a girl on our minecraft server decided she wanted to switch from a mac to a PC because a lot of the other games we play aren't compatible with macs at all. We put this PC together for her out of parts in 10 minutes

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mkTMXL

It's better then her mac, it will actually play the games she wants to play, and it is literally 1/3rd the price she paid for her mac. If she ever has a software problem she can have one of us fix it on team viewer for free in minutes, if she has a hardware problem which is almost impossible all she has to do is slide the side off, unplug the malfunctioning part and put a new one in. You can't do that on mac. I put that one together last week so the price went up from 390.00 to 430.00 since the deals I got on the parts have expired but I bet if I did it again I could get it under 400 again or right at 400.00. That computer will blow almost any modern video game out of the water. If you put another 60 bucks in it and upgrade the video card it will 100% positively blow ANY video game out of the water and you wont have to upgrade for years.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Windows is free if you have a student email address, which anyone who has taken a class at a community college has. If you already own windows and you have never been to college all you need is an upgrade disk, those range from 25 dollars to 50 dollars. Literally the best gaming monitor money can buy which are any of the 2ms BenQ's are 120.00$ sometimes less when they are on sale. You can Craigslist/backpage monitors for cheaper then that but at 120.00 you really don't have to. Anyone who has owned a PC before already has a monitor though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be obtuse.  

I've seen decent flat screen monitors at Goodwill for about $30.00 USD. When I get a second monitor that's where I plan on looking.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I hear what you're saying.  But it seems as if you haven't explored the privacy features available.

On a PC, you can usually set up a private server.  I ran several private setups for Counterstrike, Tribes, and so on.

On a console, generally you can set a match to "friends" only.

FWIW - I find less weirdos, racists, assholes, greifers, trolls, and especially cheaters on console (Live, specifically) than anywhere else.  One of the reasons I prefer console over PC.

Possibly because there is no text chat.  Or because there may not be general chat at all.  Possibly because live is a paid service and it hurts (at least a little) to be banned from it.  

Others experience is probably different.
View Quote

Enabling a "friends only" game or enabling privacy features means I play alone.

I don't have boatloads of time to sit around and play video games all day and all night, so on the odd chances I make time to do it is usually on the weekends around noon when ZERO of the people on my friends lists are playing... or they are playing games I don't own or don't want to play... so whenever I want to play an online PC game I am forced to play with the unwashed masses and I always seem to find the assholes and weirdos. I think I'm just a magnet for the scum of the internet. And because I don't have days of time to dedicate to playing games I am not an uber leet skillz ninja hacker thumb jockey. I downright suck at most of the games I play... which means online multiplayer is one long string of deaths and failures, punctuated by people telling me how terrible I am.

And what little Xbox 360 multiplayer I've played is TEN TIMES worse from an angry cussing child racist standpoint. I have never in my entire life been called a homo faggot jew ni##er except on Xbox live. Every single one of the Xbox live mutliplayer games sessions I've played, which I can count on two hands and not max out my fingers, were FRAUGHT with angry cursing children and man-children of every walk of life imaginable. The very last game I played was Xbox 360 GTA 5 online months ago and I got called every name in the book by some pre teen sounding kid as he repeatedly killed me over and over and over again just to spite me. He more or less ruined my gaming experience and I never played GTA online again because of him.

That is why I hate modern online gaming.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

1.  Your premise was based on the idea that everyone already has a computer anyway, and it's a desktop.  Demonstrably false.

2.  Not everyone has access to an educational license.  And if they do, the EULA is somewhat restrictive.  Regardless, comparing the normal use license on the one hand, with the educational license on the other, is disingenuous.  Further, an OEM windows COA cannot be moved to another machine.

3.  The price of components is beside the point.  If you're going to compare, then compare apples to apples.  Include all costs associated.  That means license costs, monitors (of equivalent speed, pixel size, and density), keyboards, etc.

I note your pcpartpicker link does not include these items at all.

All that aside - I still call bullshit on building an equivalent machine for $400.  You cannot do it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You're not going to find a laptop that you can game on for $400. Most of the people who are buying laptops, tablets, etc are students who are required to have them for school/college. If you're a gamer who wants to play games and doesn't want to spend $1,000, desktops are where it's at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Undoubtedly.  The point was that yes, most people DO have a computer in the home.  However almost always that computer is a laptop, not a desktop.

As you said, folks aren't going to game on their laptop.  Unless they have a serious passion and money to spend.

The statement
"In actuality using a gaming PC and knowing about them is vastly cheaper then console gaming for one reason. In this day and age you have to have a computer of some type at your house, so why not spend 400 dollars less and build it yourself"
is false.  It was perhaps true 10-15 years ago when most people were purchasing desktops.  No so much any more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

PC > Console.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

1.  Your premise was based on the idea that everyone already has a computer anyway, and it's a desktop.  Demonstrably false.

2.  Not everyone has access to an educational license.  And if they do, the EULA is somewhat restrictive.  Regardless, comparing the normal use license on the one hand, with the educational license on the other, is disingenuous.  Further, an OEM windows COA cannot be moved to another machine.

3.  The price of components is beside the point.  If you're going to compare, then compare apples to apples.  Include all costs associated.  That means license costs, monitors (of equivalent speed, pixel size, and density), keyboards, etc.

All that aside - I still call bullshit on building an equivalent machine for $400.  You cannot do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, a lot of people don't include the peripherals when they talk about price.  Which is dumb, because obviously you need all that stuff to work.  On the other hand, most console cost arguments don't factor in the cost of a TV.  Most people already have flatscreens these days though, so it's less of an issue.  Of course, you could just use your TV for your PC as well, so you don't really need a separate monitor either (most people would want one though).

It is possible to build the bare box for $400 and get an equivalent machine performance-wise if you shop around; there's quite a few sites out there that have done all the benchmarking to show it's possible.  Since PC parts are always on sale somewhere, it's doable.  However, when I say "box" I literally just mean the actual hardware inside the case, and don't include any software or peripherals.  So it's still a false equivalency.

I'm pretty much a PC only guy except for console exclusives, but I freely admit that the entry point into PCs are more expensive than a console.  The savings you see are all after the fact, with steam sales and free online and whatnot.  It's sort of like reloading, in a way.  The initial cost for the equipment is high, and then you start to save money over time.  The question is whether you will use it enough to make back that initial expense.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Just a question but wouldn't a "like kind and quality" PC-for-console build be running something like Steam OS?

I mean, a game console can't install and run word or excell... it's a dedicated platform. But Steam OS is supposed to be a "free" games-centric OS for PC hardware that promises windows level performance in games that are coded for it. Sure you would lose the "trump card" of a true PS OS being able to do anything you wanted to do, but going with something like Steam OS would eliminate completely the cost of an OS and still enable full power gaming to a degree.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm pretty much a PC only guy except for console exclusives, but I freely admit that the entry point into PCs are more expensive than a console.  The savings you see are all after the fact, with steam sales and free online and whatnot.  It's sort of like reloading, in a way.  The initial cost for the equipment is high, and then you start to save money over time.  The question is whether you will use it enough to make back that initial expense.
View Quote

Ehhh....  I really don't care what folks do.  I just want folks to make honest points and not cherry pick arguments, then twist them to extremes.

I consider building another gaming PC every once in a while.  Then I realize I really have no where to put it.  Nor do I care to go buy a desk and take up space in my house.

"But...  you don't have a computer at home?"  Of course I do.  Several.  They are laptops or tablets in various strategic locations.  Like on the nightstand or coffee table.  

Hell...  I am AT WORK (the last bastion of the desktop computer) and i'm sitting on a couch with my laptop in my lap.

Perhaps one of these days I will have a home office with a nice desk and comfy computer chair, and i'll build another gaming PC.  But right now I just don't care enough.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just a question but wouldn't a "like kind and quality" PC-for-console build be running something like Steam OS?

I mean, a game console can't install and run word or excell... it's a dedicated platform. But Steam OS is supposed to be a "free" games-centric OS for PC hardware that promises windows level performance in games that are coded for it. Sure you would lose the "trump card" of a true PS OS being able to do anything you wanted to do, but going with something like Steam OS would eliminate completely the cost of an OS and still enable full power gaming to a degree.
View Quote

I was not aware it was to be offered as a standalone operating system, per se.  I thought Steam was releasing a "Steambox."  i.e., an off-the shelf-components build 'console' with a custom OS that can play Steam released games.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I was not aware it was to be an operating system, per se.  I thought Steam was releasing a "Steambox."  i.e., a console that can play Steam released PC games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not aware it was to be an operating system, per se.  I thought Steam was releasing a "Steambox."  i.e., a console that can play Steam released PC games.

They are doing that and they are supposed to be releasing a free linux based OS called "Steam OS", which is what the Steam boxes use. Info here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I have priced a bunch of systems since I made this OP.  

To get a good system with a good video card, you are looking at $900 without a monitor, plus or minus $100.  That is with Windows 8.1, high speed ram, a video card that is equivalent to the Nvidia GTX 760 or better, with a quad core i7 at 3.4 GHz or better, 12 gig ram, with a good 4 slot (RAM) motherboard.

This is picking the parts and building it yourself, or buying something like the Acer Predator.    Throw in another 200-300 for a 22 inch or larger monitor.  

I'm not saying you can't get a decent system for less, but this is for a system that can play all current PC releases on Ultra, comfortably, like Crysis 3 and BF4.  

I've decided to go PC instead of console.  

Reasons where in no particular order.

1.  Already have a huge Steam library for PC and cheap games on Steam are a big plus
2. PCs are upgradeable (in 2 more years, I could throw in a newer video card and be good to go for a while)
3.  Mouse and Keyboard seem way better to me than a controller (except for racing or flight sim, but I can hook up a controller if needed to the PC)
4.  Graphics seem way superior to the consoles overall.
5.  Overall, is much more fun to build/customize your own PC, over a one flavor console.

Good input in this thread, thanks much.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They are doing that and they are supposed to be releasing a free linux based OS called "Steam OS", which is what the Steam boxes use. Info here.
View Quote

I clarified a bit in an edit.

I've been interested to see how this works out since they first discussed it a while back.  I tend to wonder what the point is.  Steamboxes will still cost whatever their equivalent level PC will cost.  Anywhere from $500 to $6,000.

You might save $90 for a Windows license...  But...  it's $90.

Will one be able to run Teamspeak?  Ventrillo?  How about install custom mods and such?

It seems the steambox loses all the best points of a PC and doesn't gain any of the advantages of the console.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It seems the steambox loses all the best points of a PC and doesn't gain any of the advantages of the console.
View Quote

The Steambox is the "consolization" of the PC.

It takes PC's strengths: better graphics, free multiplayer, Steam sales, etc. and pairs them with console's strengths: play-from-the-couch with a controller, guaranteed performance and simple OS with basic navigation.

The Steamboxes are sold at "tiers" (ie teir 1, 2, 3) and Steam games through Steam OS will have tiered settings, so if you own a tier 1 Steam box and buy Witcher 2 (on Steam sale for $5) all you have to do is download the game and hit play and it automatically configures itself for the tier 1 box and gives you the "console experience" of the best possible graphics you can have with no "messing with settings".

I think it is genius.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top