User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What the fuck??

Go through all this to build your own system and then you do that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bit the bullet and bought Windows 8.1 full version.

All of the parts should be coming today.

Any building tips?

1. Should I put the mobo in the case, and then the chip/cooler?
2. Or assemble outside the case, then put in?
3. Powersupply first then mobo, or other way around?
4. I assume all the fans plug into the mobo, not the power supply?
5. Do SSD's get hot?  Do I need to have airflow over it?

I have an anti-static wristband.  

Classic Shell 4.0 will be going on ASAP.

What the fuck??

Geez, what's wrong with Classic Shell or the startup button, or whatever?

They kidnap your family?

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They kidnap your family?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bit the bullet and bought Windows 8.1 full version.

All of the parts should be coming today.

Any building tips?

1. Should I put the mobo in the case, and then the chip/cooler?

2. Or assemble outside the case, then put in?

3. Powersupply first then mobo, or other way around?

4. I assume all the fans plug into the mobo, not the power supply?

5. Do SSD's get hot?  Do I need to have airflow over it?

I have an anti-static wristband.  

Classic Shell 4.0 will be going on ASAP.

What the fuck??

They kidnap your family?

Windows key + X brings up a little window with all the things most users need.

windows key brings up a windows overlay with every program and a search button

8.1 is way easier to navigate than windows 7 and before.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How I tested mine:

1: put CPU in MOBO
2: install CPU fan and connect it to MOBO
3: install RAM
4:Install GPU(s)
5: connect HDD/SSD to Mobo
6: connect disk drive (you don't have to, but might as well make sure it works)
7: connect power cables to PSU and connect them to the associated hardware (MOBO, SSD/HDD, disk drives)
8: connect power cables from PSU to front I/O of the case to test air flow fans and I/O panel, and connect fan headers.
9: plug power cable into an outlet.
10: run tests

I usually don't set up my BIOS until I have everything in my case.

View Quote

So basically build the computer outside the case, turn it on, then re-assemble inside the case once everything looks like it works?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So basically build the computer outside the case, turn it on, then re-assemble inside the case once everything looks like it works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How I tested mine:

7: connect power cables to PSU and connect them to the associated hardware (MOBO, SSD/HDD, disk drives)
8: connect power cables from PSU to front I/O of the case to test air flow fans and I/O panel, and connect fan headers.

This saves time dealing with the rare DOA component.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How I tested mine:

Yes. While testing, spend more time in BIOS. Don't go directly into your home screen and start posting in GD

You want to look in BIOS and make sure everything works. It should tell information about your rig such as GPUs, RAM etc. Make sure everything is working properly in BIOS.

Make sure your capable over overclocking your RAM to the right clock (this may not apply to you). Say if you have 2133 RAM, it will probably be clocked at default to 1333. You should be able to overclock it to 2133. Or you could leave it at 1333 and tell yourself you threw money in the trashcan.

Once assembled in the case, go in BIOS and make sure all the information is correct again. I had to re-do my clock on my RAM when I switched to the bench test to my case. Took less than 2 seconds to fix that. Then make sure your disk drive is set to boot or whatever so you can load your OS. Read the owners manual to your mobo.

Also, when building outside the case, using the motherboard box makes a great test bench. Don't put you mobo directly on a table, put it the box with your IO panel on the edge.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't put your mobo ON the bag it came in!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes. While testing, spend more time in BIOS. Don't go directly into your home screen and start posting in GD

You want to look in BIOS and make sure everything works. It should tell information about your rig such as GPUs, RAM etc. Make sure everything is working properly in BIOS.

Make sure your capable over overclocking your RAM to the right clock (this may not apply to you). Say if you have 2133 RAM, it will probably be clocked at default to 1333. You should be able to overclock it to 2133. Or you could leave it at 1333 and tell yourself you threw money in the trashcan.

Once assembled in the case, go in BIOS and make sure all the information is correct again. I had to re-do my clock on my RAM when I switched to the bench test to my case. Took less than 2 seconds to fix that. Then make sure your disk drive is set to boot or whatever so you can load your OS. Read the owners manual to your mobo.

Also, when building outside the case, using the motherboard box makes a great test bench. Don't put you mobo directly on a table, put it the box with your IO panel on the edge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How I tested mine:

BIOS is when I press F11 in the start up screen right?

ETA: Does this sound like good advice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?reviewid=2139914

After everything is setup, you go into your BIOS and set the RAM to run at 1600 Mhz. You turn the DRAM BUS down to 1.5 V.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, I was totally going to do that.

I'm serious!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did.

And I turned out ok.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm serious!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm serious!

The inside is static free, the outside may carry a static electricity charge and could damage your mobo.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, so SATA is the new IDE (the big ass ribbon cables), yeah?

So the Mobo I got is 2 x SATAIII and 2 x SATAII

So the SSD and HD goes on the SATAIII and the old HD and DVD goes on the SATA II?

Yeah?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
What does your manual say?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

UPS hasn't come yet.

I'm worried about the amount of fan pins on the mobo though...

ETA: Guess I need to buy two of these:

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#14]
$500 eight core build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($53.27 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 270 2GB IceQ X² Video Card  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $520.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-19 05:40 EDT-0400

CPU is the new, lower TDP 8320E. While its not as high clocked as the original 8320 (which is only a couple dollars more), the lower TDP will be easier on our budget motherboard than the full powered 8320. The motherboard is perfect value to performance for our low TDP chip, and has onboard USB3 support for our case that has USB3.0 ports on front. Currently the Team Zeus RAM is the cheapest 1600mhz RAM, couldn't find any ovations about how great it is but didn't find complaints about it either. For $2 more this build uses the tried and true Ripjaw X RAM. The R9 270 isn't as fast as some of my more recent builds 280, but on a single monitor it can play most games at 1080 with great frames for quite a bit less. Fractal Case is used again, as its still the best option I'm finding in the budget cases, solid build and well thought out features. NCIX has the 500W EVGA 80+ PSU on sale for sub-$40, which provides more than enough power for the build. Comes out to a little bit over $500 without rebates -- if you clock on the include rebate button you can get the componets for sub $500 if you don't mind waiting on rebates to process.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

UPS hasn't come yet.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HDq9sDXbL.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UPS hasn't come yet.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HDq9sDXbL.jpg

Source for that?

n/m, misread your post.  Thought it was for fans not SATA.  

RIF
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is my $800 build. Any suggestions? My limit is $900  

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($187.94 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($260.92 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Cougar Vortex PWM 70.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($12.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $865.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-22 14:54 EDT-0400

ETA: I haven't built anything for a long time.  Is it worth having a SSD?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#17]
This thread piques my interests...

Hey y'all, any suggestions? Been about 6 years or so since I built my current PC. Just thinking about starting over now.

Mobo: Asus Z97 board ($134)
CPU: Intel i5 4770 Haswell Quad Core 3.2 Ghz ($199)
RAM: Team Elite 8 Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz (1x8 stick) However, I might just buy another in the near future after completion to give me 16 Gb (2x8). ($62 / stick)
PSU: Raidmax Vampire 800 Watt PSU ($99)
Graphics Card: Nvidia PNY GTX 760 2 GB ($199)

Not sure on HDD yet. I currently have a 1 TB HDD, but it might be getting some age on it. It's been getting louder and games are taking longer to load. I am going to replace it though.

As much as I like Windows 7 Ultimate better, I'll probably be moving to 8.1 just because of DirectX.

My goal here is to play flight sim games like DCS: World and FS:X on fairly high settings on 1080p single monitor, without going all out. (Maybe $600-$700 range) I also want Far Cry 4 when it comes out.

I've been loving the DCS MiG 21BIS module, but my current rig hates it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys I've been out of the pc gaming scene for a while now. So I'm really wanting to build something but with kids now my budget is kinda tight. Looking to spend no more $700.00. Oh and I won't be needing a new power supply since I had to get a new one not that long ago for my old build. So what say the gaming hive?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey guys I've been out of the pc gaming scene for a while now. So I'm really wanting to build something but with kids now my budget is kinda tight. Looking to spend no more $700.00. Oh and I won't be needing a new power supply since I had to get a new one not that long ago for my old build. So what say the gaming hive?
View Quote

do you need a copy of windows? And what kind of PSU do you have, ie wattage/connections -- you might be better off with a newer one depending.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This thread piques my interests...

Hey y'all, any suggestions? Been about 6 years or so since I built my current PC. Just thinking about starting over now.

Mobo: Asus Z97 board ($134)
CPU: Intel i5 4770 Haswell Quad Core 3.2 Ghz ($199)
RAM: Team Elite 8 Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz (1x8 stick) However, I might just buy another in the near future after completion to give me 16 Gb (2x8). ($62 / stick)
PSU: Raidmax Vampire 800 Watt PSU ($99)
Graphics Card: Nvidia PNY GTX 760 2 GB ($199)

Not sure on HDD yet. I currently have a 1 TB HDD, but it might be getting some age on it. It's been getting louder and games are taking longer to load. I am going to replace it though.

As much as I like Windows 7 Ultimate better, I'll probably be moving to 8.1 just because of DirectX.

My goal here is to play flight sim games like DCS: World and FS:X on fairly high settings on 1080p single monitor, without going all out. (Maybe $600-$700 range) I also want Far Cry 4 when it comes out.

I've been loving the DCS MiG 21BIS module, but my current rig hates it.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/545259947175187700/11A417306B7BFA86DC5BE75C92DE80FB6B387B4B/

View Quote

Check out prepard3d.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

do you need a copy of windows? And what kind of PSU do you have, ie wattage/connections -- you might be better off with a newer one depending.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm gonna need a new copy of windows, the last time I bought an OS was the days of XP. The PS I have is an OCZ I got in early 2011, it's a 500 watt and I cant remember what the connections were, but I do remember it having some connections that I couldn't use at the time. And thinking about it I will probably need a new monitor and kb/mouse.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#22]

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($139.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $709.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-27 03:09 EDT-0400

Just in case you don't have the right power supply I added it in. Base computer is going to be using AMD parts, 8320 is the best value to budget CPU on the market still. Motherboard is nothing special, but has USB3.0 header onboard. RAM is a single 4GB stick -- you can add another 4 later down the road. Standard 1TB HDD. R9 270 is a decent budget card, I love the Ranger M case -- it's nice looking, and comes with two fans. The small budget makes it pretty difficult to include a monitor, so the monitor is kind of small, but it's workable right around your budget.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Check out prepard3d.
View Quote

Never even heard of it until now.

$2300 for a professional license.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out prepard3d.

Look at the academic one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I couldn't handle it any more and drove by the local Tiger Direct store today after work.

I brought home a Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 motherboard and some DDR3 RAM.

Once installed, I will have replaced everything on my desktop, including the case!

Next week, I guess I build a server out of the pile of parts I have

I got this motherboard because of cost.  With price matching, I got it for $44.99.  My motivation is that my current rig does not support any decent (read: mid range) video cards for gaming, with it's PCI 1.0 slot.  New mobo has PCI 2.0 and built in USB 3.0 (I've got a 2 port card installed on my current setup).

It also supports Gigabit LAN, so as I upgrade my network, this machine will be able to keep up.  

See you guys in a bit... hopefully!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I couldn't handle it any more and drove by the local Tiger Direct store today after work.

I brought home a Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 motherboard and some DDR3 RAM.

Once installed, I will have replaced everything on my desktop, including the case!

Next week, I guess I build a server out of the pile of parts I have

I got this motherboard because of cost.  With price matching, I got it for $44.99.  My motivation is that my current rig does not support any decent (read: mid range) video cards for gaming, with it's PCI 1.0 slot.  New mobo has PCI 2.0 and built in USB 3.0 (I've got a 2 port card installed on my current setup).

It also supports Gigabit LAN, so as I upgrade my network, this machine will be able to keep up.  

See you guys in a bit... hopefully!
View Quote

Update:  Got it up and running but Windows is having a fit and will need to spend some time on it.

Running Ubuntu from a Live CD at the moment and everything seems hunky dory!

I have a Win 7 SP1 iso on my server that I guess I'll try to load.  This is why I use dual drives (SSD + HDD).  My data is safe an unharmed.  I'll just have to reload a few programs.  

eta 2: Posting from fresh install of Win 7 SP1 x64 on the desktop.  Got all the drivers installed, and currently downloading Office 2013 Professional Plus.

My only real mistake in the process was not exporting my bookmarks from Firefox first.  No big deal, but I should have done it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#27]

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($126.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Zeus Yellow 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCS+ Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $526.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-07 09:36 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team Zeus Yellow 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCS+ Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $595.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-07 09:39 EST-0500

$526 before rebates, $487 after. Pretty standard fare, but the current deals let you get a 270X over recent ~$500 builds which featured a standard 270 GPU. The $600 build keeps most of the components but uses an Intel based i5 chip. The 4590 is right now priced just a couple bucks more than all of the other i5 CPU's and sits right below the i5 4690 which is the current top i5 model. Though the 4590 has less cores than the FX 8320, its per core performance is much better.  

Will update thread as we get closer to black friday.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Bump for maybe someone doing a Black Friday sale build list
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#29]

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($52.54 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $485.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 07:41 EST-0500

Black Friday AMD 8 core sub $500 build (before rebates!) -- very similar to previous builds, but drop in price for the 8320 to just $99 lets us pack a respectable AMD R9 280 as the GPU.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#30]

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($45.85 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($30.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $401.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-29 06:05 EST-0500

$400 (before rebates) build -- 6 core AMD FX processor, 750 TI, standard 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I almost built a computer last year around this time but buying a house got in the way of that. I'm about to buy these parts. Anything that's over or under done.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rhanson94/saved/kX6KHx
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#32]
With a $700 budget, you should try to fit an i5 CPU in there -- the i3 is a very lackluster CPU for pretty much any real gaming.

Here is a $700 build that I tried to do so while keeping what I thought you are looking for (SSD/Bluray reader);

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($169.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.34 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Neos Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($39.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $679.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-01 19:05 EST-0500

The major change is the motherboard; instead of an SLI capable mobo, since I use a AMD card, I've switched it to a xfire capable one to save money. The R9 280 achieves the same objective performance as the 760 (beyond benchmarking scores from tools, they provide the same frames at the same settings) and pinches some pennies. A couple of brands are changed around, and the PSU's wattage is dropped to 500w -- which is more than enough for a single CPU and GPU combo. The end result will provide much better performance from the much more capable CPU for a couple dollars less.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks! I'll rearrange some stuff.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Most Halal DocBach Bro, got any insight for next year's market? It's gonna be "that time" to retire the old rig, but I won't be able to afford the full unlimited budget rigs I used to enjoy. I'm juggling between the i7/i5 4790k vs 4690k, while not being able to ignore the AMD FX-8350 'batin in the corner... My concern here is any upcoming "game changers", like major board/chipset revisions. I like to future proof, and if something like DDR4 is coming or new PCI Express revisions, I'd like to know ahead of time. Also looking at monitors, starting to see 144hz and trying to decide if it's worth the premium.

I'm coming from a Phenom II, one of the black edition quad cores that ran 3.6 stock and easily hit 3.8 on air. Video card is a 285GTX. My only real gripe is that World of Tanks is terribly optimized, and is extremely CPU heavy vs GPU or RAM. I need the FPS to be consistent to stay competitive, and hate having to run on potato settings and miss my custom models and skins. Right now it struggles to get past 50, and will situationally dip based on maps or enemy tanks (usually when I need to pull off a snap shot).

My planned builds are very similar outside the CPU/MoBo choice, but that's the main savings. If I select very "budget" minded (but not garbage) parts it comes to around 1100 if I re-use my HAF932 (which I love btw, bigass fans and really quiet) and Win7 retail I already had. I wanted to refurbish the old box and give it to my sister, but if I have to cannibalize I guess I can let her get a budget case and end up with a kickass old computer for really cheap. I already have a 1tb drive to pair with an SSD.

Basically, my builds are thus:

Intel:
i7 4790k or i5 4690k ($219 vs $299)
Asus Z-97A

vs

AMD:
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4Gb)
MSI 970GTX Twin Frozr V
EVGA 750W modular PSU, Gold rated
CM 212 Evo
Samsung 840 Evo 120gb SSD (for OS/drivers/support software, etc)
BenQ 1080, 60mhz, 1ms response monitor

Reusing existing components, that about $1030 or $1050 AMD vs i5, and $1200 if I go i7

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#35]
None of those CPUs work right now with DDR4 -- right now only the X99 Haswell-E chips have DDR4 support, and both intel and amd aren't planning on current haswell/vischera chips to be made compatible with it. Rest of the build is pretty solid -- I would in your case look to get an intel chip; pretty much, any build over $700 should have an intel CPU IMO; the price to performance might not be as good as AMD, but in that territory you aren't really looking at a "budget" build. The intel chips smoke AMD at pretty much any gaming application.

One thing, I'd recommend looking into at least a 120hz monitor. With a good CPU and GPU like you've selected, you are likely to break the 60fps cap your chosen monitor will limit you to.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
None of those CPUs work right now with DDR4 -- right now only the X99 Haswell-E chips have DDR4 support, and both intel and amd aren't planning on current haswell/vischera chips to be made compatible with it. Rest of the build is pretty solid -- I would in your case look to get an intel chip; pretty much, any build over $700 should have an intel CPU IMO; the price to performance might not be as good as AMD, but in that territory you aren't really looking at a "budget" build. The intel chips smoke AMD at pretty much any gaming application.

One thing, I'd recommend looking into at least a 120hz monitor. With a good CPU and GPU like you've selected, you are likely to break the 60fps cap your chosen monitor will limit you to.
View Quote

Thanks. The difference between the "budget" AMD/i5 choices and the i7 is about $200. I'm trying to figure out when next year the new stuff is dropping, I'd hate to stick myself with DDR3 if DDR4 is going to be significantly better and be tied with any new CPU offerings. I feel like the builds above will leave me with no room to expand sooner than if I wait a bit for DDR4 and compatible CPUs/mobos to hit the market. Maybe by then SSDs will have continued their price/GB shift, and the 970GTX offerings may drop in price too.

For monitors, I've heard good things about BenQ. Their 24" 1080p offering @ 144hz is about $250, which doesn't seem bad at all.

I've been out of the hardware game for a while, just using my old rig any only more recently been disappointed in performance due to World of Tanks. I used to drop 3k like it was nothing, but babies are expensive and I just dropped $$$ on a new can for my Mk12 projects. Hell, my AMD FX57 costed more than most of your budget builds back in 2005, plus the cost of TWO 7800GTX's, RAM, and a PC Power and Cooling 1000 watt PSU (when they were still the tits).
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#37]
The switch from DDR3 to 4 will be pretty unobservable if you aren't a benchmarking program. Same with switching from this generation to broadwell unless you're looking at small mobile devices.

Buy a devil's canyon i5 and you'll be good to go for wot, and most everything else for the next couple years.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The switch from DDR3 to 4 will be pretty unobservable if you aren't a benchmarking program. Same with switching from this generation to broadwell unless you're looking at small mobile devices.

Buy a devil's canyon i5 and you'll be good to go for wot, and most everything else for the next couple years.
View Quote

Alright, we'll just see what next year holds in store. I'll re-evaluate as things get closer, need to get the baby all born and stuff. Hopefully the i7 K lines and the GTX 970 come down in price, that way I can squeeze for a better mobo/RAM and PSU. I really wanted to get the Corsair C70 Military Green edition and rattlecan that bitch with some of that Tier Juan Tan Obliterating Compound Dan has enlightened us on, and hit it with some mesh bag stripes. Might even spray some of the internal components to match...
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#39]
This is without a doubt a set of noob questions, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I've never built a pc, have done very little pc gaming but I want to join the master race lol. I've been on console (360) and was preparing to upgrade but decided I'd hold off on another console. I really don't know where to start. I want this to replace and surpass a current gen console, I'd like to run output to my 46" lcd and surround sound setup. Budget would be about 4-500. Any pointers?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This is without a doubt a set of noob questions, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I've never built a pc, have done very little pc gaming but I want to join the master race lol. I've been on console (360) and was preparing to upgrade but decided I'd hold off on another console. I really don't know where to start. I want this to replace and surpass a current gen console, I'd like to run output to my 46" lcd and surround sound setup. Budget would be about 4-500. Any pointers?
View Quote

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.68 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Directron)
Total: $498.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-05 18:34 EST-0500

$500 without rebates -- unfortunately you decided to jump into the game the weekend after black friday -- deals are tapering out to normal about now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.68 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Directron)

$500 without rebates -- unfortunately you decided to jump into the game the weekend after black friday -- deals are tapering out to normal about now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have a million more questions before it's over. I'm fully capable of something like this, just lack confidence and have little patience at times. I'll take your advice, it shall be built.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:46:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have a million more questions before it's over. I'm fully capable of something like this, just lack confidence and have little patience at times. I'll take your advice, it shall be built.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Building your own PC is just as easy as building your own AR, and just as habit forming.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#43]

That's what I'm afraid of. Looking forward to it though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#44]
My teenage son wants a gaming computer.  I do not have any idea how to build a computer.  Are there any decent online sources to buy them already put together?  Do any members here build them for other people as a paid service?
Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My teenage son wants a gaming computer.  I do not have any idea how to build a computer.  Are there any decent online sources to buy them already put together?  Do any members here build them for other people as a paid service?
Thanks,
Steve
View Quote

You can do it yourself, it is soooooo easy.  I recently watched a youtube video where a 5 year old girl assembled her own pink desktop (with help from dad).

These guys here know their stuff.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks,
Steve
View Quote

The hardest part of a computer build in general is not spending more than you want!

I'd gladly assemble a build for you -- but it's pretty easy to do, most components can only go in one slot. Give me a budget on what you are looking for, and if you need peripherals like mouse/keyboard, and operating system.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks DocBach. I'm still trying to decide what to do.  How about this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220798 for my son?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks DocBach. I'm still trying to decide what to do.  How about this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220798 for my son?
View Quote

Decent specs, but needs moar SSD.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#49]
That's actually a pretty great deal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That is a really good price. Only thing that worries me is what the power supply is like. The power supply IMO is the most important component as it feeds everything. Usually when they go out they take everything with them.
For just a bit more I'd go with the build below. The plus is in the video card. It comes with Star Citizen!
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YP2cmG
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($83.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($205.91 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $786.78

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top